Alleged 2018 iPhone prototype photos sporting brightly colored back covers are bogus [u]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2018
Photographs have surfaced allegedly showing prototypes of a new model of iPhone due for release this year with bright colors on the rear are fake, and have been traced back to a forum post.

2018 iPhone colored leak

The two photographs published by TechnoCodex depict the back of two iPhone X-style devices, complete with the vertical camera arrangement, Apple logo, and iPhone branding. Only the rear of the devices are directly shown, but the visible edge appears to be similar to the version used in the iPhone X, claimed by the publication to be a "gold stainless steel" frame.

Most notably, the rear panel of the iPhones use bright colors, with one using teal green while the other is purple. Rather than plastic, it is suggested these are glass backing, continuing the design used in the iPhone X.

It is unknown how genuine the leak is, as it is entirely plausible for the images to be fabricated, but the published photographs are too low resolution to determine if they are. As well as editing in photoshop, it is also possible that a wrap or skin was applied to an iPhone X for the shots.

The publication also does not have a track record regarding leaks, again making it hard to determine if it is real.

Apple does work with a production partner in India to produce the iPhone SE, with partner Wistron receiving approval earlier this year to expand its facilities in the country. Even so, there has yet to be any news of Apple tasking Wistron with constructing any of its premium iPhones, let alone one from an annual refresh.

There has been some suggestion of new iPhone X colors on the horizon, such as a report in March that Apple was considering introducing a gold-colored model to reinvigorate sales.

Analyst Jun Zhang of Rosenblatt Securities speculated earlier in May that Apple could reintroduce brightly-colored options in the 2018 fall iPhone refresh. Reviving the color scheme used by the iPhone 5c is thought by the analyst to give a rumored upcoming LCD model some differentiation from the other versions, and to attempt to appeal to younger consumers.

Rumors generally suggest the fall iPhone refresh will include three devices, with a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD model included alongside 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED versions. A report from Monday however disputes this, claiming Apple is instead using OLED screens in all three devices.

Update: The photos appear to be from an old MacRumors forums post.

If I may, you better stop sharing things from very unreliable and unrespectful crappy blogs like the "source" you've quote... In fact, these "exclusive" (sic) pictures comes from an old an now removed @MacRumors forum post... https://t.co/G1eM50CeRp pic.twitter.com/6LvrOa1BeU

-- Steve H. (@OnLeaks)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Apple has too much class to offer those colors. Give me a break.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,626member
    I don't particularly like these colours but would like to see some more daring options both with colours and finish nevertheless. The current offerings don't really cut it in 2018. 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I kind of dig these colors. But, I do prefer to use different cases on different days of the week.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Nobody has come up with 400ppi color ePaper under glass as the 'phone skin' yet - a mystery to me. Being able to customize your skin seems like a no-brainer awesome feature.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I kind of dig these colors. But, I do prefer to use different cases on different days of the week.
    Gel cases are great, letting the phone show through. 
    edited May 2018 tgr1
  • Reply 6 of 13
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member
    As an artist and designer I found it easy to guess the probable creative (ahem) source of the purple rendition illustrated above... it's the PANTONE Colour of the Year 2018, namely 18-3838 Ultra Violet.
    https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018
    radarthekattgr1
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    nunzy said:

nunzy
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Gel cases are great, letting the phone show through. 
    Except that they do yellow over time. At least the ones I’ve had did.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    nunzy said:

Haha. Great point. All but the white (any maybe blue) were awful colors. Would be cool to see Apple work in some new colors though. Still holding out hope for a midnight blue iPhone. 
    nunzy
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    nunzy said:
    When you don’t innovate anymore and your current products are just rehashes of last year’s models what else have you got to try and get the sheep to keep buying?

Sincerely yours,

The Trolls Under the Bridge.
    nunzy
  • Reply 11 of 13
    supadav03 said:
    nunzy said:

Haha. Great point. All but the white (any maybe blue) were awful colors. Would be cool to see Apple work in some new colors though. Still holding out hope for a midnight blue iPhone. 
    I wouldn’t mind colors again but good colors not pale pastels. That Pepto Bismol pink was really gag worthy. I actually think the colors more than the phone being plastic is what killed the 5C. It was a good phone, the build quality was great (didn’t even feel like plastic) but the colors were bad.
    nunzy
  • Reply 12 of 13
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    The two pastels are terrible!  Bring the 5C color choices back!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    The two pastels are terrible!  Bring the 5C color choices back!
    The 5C colors were awful. 

Bring back the five flavors!