Apple's iOS 11.4 update with 'USB Restricted Mode' may defeat tools like GrayKey

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'd like to see this go a little further...Why not make it an option to disable the lightning jack with the phone not unlocked except for charging and audio output? Otherwise, its 7 days. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 22 of 27
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    MplsP said:
    airnerd said:
    Can they go a step further and have a toggle that prevents any data connection via USB?   I'm not a power user, but I can't remember the last time I connected my phone to anything to transfer data.  Everything is cloud based (backup, sync, etc), AirDrop,  or just email/imessaged as far as I know.  

Then again I have nothing of interest to law enforcement.  
    We’re really nowhere near that point. The majority of users only use their lightning port for charging, but there are many other uses - keyboards, headphones (maybe they will get rid of the lightning port and put the ‘outdated’ headphone jack back in?) CarPlay, screen mirroring devices, and countless other 3rd party accessories. Removing the port would make any future iphone instantly incompatible with all of these. 

Besides, removing the lightning port assumes that wireless connections are both more reliable and more secure than hardwired connections and I dont’ think one can make that argument.
    I get that.  I was just asking for a toggle in the setting menu that disables data xfer over USB.  Could still use for charging and if you want to enable it for data transfer you can.  
  • Reply 23 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Sounds good, but agree with others that it would be even better if this was further configurable for those of us who don't use the port for anything except charging.  Being able to totally disable the USB function, or reduce the seven day timeout to be even more locked down.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 24 of 27
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    There should be the option to totally restrict USB Access unless unlocked. Period. 

Seven  days is a long time to be vulnerable to physical attack vis the USB port.

Under what scenario do you need USB access to the iPhone's contact in an locked state?  
    Usually Bluetooth and WiFi connections should do just fine in a locked state.

muthuk_vanalingamcgWerksbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 27
    rossgggrossggg Posts: 12member
    There should be the option to totally restrict USB Access unless unlocked. Period. 

Seven  days is a long time to be vulnerable to physical attack vis the USB port.

Under what scenario do you need USB access to the iPhone's contact in an locked state?  

This sounds like a great idea until you encounter a scenario where your phone isn't behaving normally and now you no longer have the option to connect it to a computer to restore/diagnose.  It would become so much easier to accidentally brick your device.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rossggg said:

This sounds like a great idea until you encounter a scenario where your phone isn't behaving normally and now you no longer have the option to connect it to a computer to restore/diagnose.  It would become so much easier to accidentally brick your device.
    But that's why you back up your device.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    rossggg said:
    True, but if it comes down to that or security, I'll take security.