All the new features in iOS 11.4: AirPlay 2, Messages in the Cloud, & much more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 574member, editor

Will messages still remain shown on the iPhone when off-line without cellular, data or wifi service?  I may out of country and without any service for days on end but need to reference information in messages. There is risk for using iCloud for my messaging if I have no off-line use.
    yes, they still show up, but your history going far back won’t be there until you have connection. It also won’t save all your attachmeets locally either.
    polymnia
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    Worse update in Apple's history. Now I can no longer use the HomePod as a soundbar replacement. When I airplay from my Mac to Apple TV, it disconnects from the HomePod, which it wasn't doing before.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Worse update in Apple's history. Now I can no longer use the HomePod as a soundbar replacement. When I airplay from my Mac to Apple TV, it disconnects from the HomePod, which it wasn't doing before.
    Hyperbole much?  Maybe wait a few days until the Mac OS update is released before making a final judgement.
    magman1979GeorgeBMacnetmagejony0bonobobwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Does AirPlay 2 work with multiple sets of AirPods?
    sandor
  • Reply 25 of 36
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    That’s because you need macOS 10.13.5, which hasn’t come out yet...

Try not to spread mindless hyperbole without actually having a clue about what’s really going on...
    netmagejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Does this mean Messages will finally work properly now???
    Finally, some good news!
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    That’s because you need macOS 10.13.5, which hasn’t come out yet...

Try not to spread mindless hyperbole without actually having a clue about what’s really going on...
    Dude, I tried air playing from my iPhone to Apple TV as well and the behavior is the same: the Apple TV disconnects from the HomePod. This was not the expected behavior prior to airplay 2. Literally the feature and only reason I owned a HomePod was removed.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Great that they are giving us "USB restricted mode" -- and not just to thwart police investigations.   But, it was obviously a security hole that could be exploited by criminals.

But then, in the referenced article, I read:
    "To improve security, for a locked iOS device to communicate with USB accessories you must connect an accessory via Lightning connector to the device while unlocked — or enter your device passcode while connected — at least once a week,"

So why the 7 day window?   If my phone is taken or stolen, doesn't that give them 7 days to crack it?  Isn't that a bit like buying a door lock that only locks a week after you supposedly lock it?

Either I do not understand or Apple did something very UnApple Like... 

bonobob
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I think I'm missing something with iCloud messages:
    Apple already seems to be doing a great job coordinating messages across devices.   When a message appears or is sent from one device it appears almost immediately on other iOS devices.

So what functionality does this add?  Or is it simply an improved, modernized process?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    So what functionality does this add?  Or is it simply an improved, modernized process?
    When you delete messages or conversations, that will also sync across all your devices with Messages in iCloud.

Also, storage space will be reduced as  older messages and attachments don't have to be stored on your device until you access them.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 36
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    techrider said:
    You have to read footnote 1 in https://support.apple.com/en-jo/ht207428 for confirmation that once Messages in iCloud is enabled, messages are now stored in general iCloud storage (which still counts towards your free 5GB or paid storage plan), rather than iCloud Backup storage.
    Since most people have tons of text messages with photos and some videos, it looks like iMessages in the Cloud is Apple's way to get people to buy more storage since 5GB is nothing and people typically have the Messages setting to retain all messages.  I don't back up to the cloud since it is not a full backup in the cloud, but many people do and it maxes out their 5GB free storage and so iMessages won't work in the cloud since it uses the same space.  Apple should increase their free tier to 10GB and not force people to pay for storage to use features.  
    If you are out of space you may not be able to enable Messages in iCloud, but once enabled tour backups will shrink in size as Messages will no longer be included in backups, so it doesnt use any more space then before and if you have multiple devices, it could quite well use less space than before as you will only have one copy of attachments and conversations.

iCloud backup includes everything - what do you think is not included in an iCloud backup?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Great that they are giving us "USB restricted mode" -- and not just to thwart police investigations.   But, it was obviously a security hole that could be exploited by criminals.

But then, in the referenced article, I read:
    "To improve security, for a locked iOS device to communicate with USB accessories you must connect an accessory via Lightning connector to the device while unlocked — or enter your device passcode while connected — at least once a week,"

So why the 7 day window?   If my phone is taken or stolen, doesn't that give them 7 days to crack it?  Isn't that a bit like buying a door lock that only locks a week after you supposedly lock it?

I understand your confusion, but I think I get it.

If a bad guy gets your iPhone and it's locked, he won't be able to access it via a USB accessory, period.  If he gets it before it locks, he could hook up his nefarious USB device.  But 7 days later he would be out of luck unless he's learned your passcode by then.

So to use your analogy, it's like a door lock that automatically locks itself after 7 days even if you haven't locked it.
    edited May 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 36
    GeorgeBMac said:

That's my understanding as well. As to the 'why' probably throwing a bone to the FBI, et al.

I think I'm missing something with iCloud messages:
    Apple already seems to be doing a great job coordinating messages across devices.   When a message appears or is sent from one device it appears almost immediately on other iOS devices.

It probably depends on number of devices and setup, but that isn't my experience at all. Sometimes there are big delays, or outright failures, for messages to appear on certain devices (not consistently any particular device). Often messages appear out of time-order. Like, I'll ask my wife something... and she responds a couple of times, but the responses are displayed before the question I asked.

At least iCloud isn't regularly losing/corrupting data like it once did (back in the .Mac and MobileMe days), but a lot of these type problems still exist. Hopefully this will somewhat fix Messages.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 392member
    emoeller said:
    techrider said:
    Does emoeller said:
    Can't get Messages on my Mac to sync via iCloud.  All of my iOS devices seem to work.  Anyone else have this issue?
    Details including Mac are published at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532

You have to read footnote 1 in https://support.apple.com/en-jo/ht207428 for confirmation that once Messages in iCloud is enabled, messages are now stored in general iCloud storage (which still counts towards your free 5GB or paid storage plan), rather than iCloud Backup storage.

Since most of the storage space is used by images and attachments, it would great to have a one-tap option to select all images / attachments, to delete them in batch (instead of having to select each of them one at a time one before tapping trash, or by deleting the entire conversation)
    Thanks for the response but my issue is that Messages/Preferences/Accounts DOES NOT SHOW an iCloud option to turn on.   I have three Apple accounts (all active): .mac (default on all of my devices), .me, and .iCloud.   All of those are listed as being able to be reached, but NONE of them provide me with an iCloud option.  
    I did sign out, closed the app, rebooted my iMac (OSX 10.13.4) and still no luck.

Sounds like I'll have to phone tech support if others do not have this issue.
    We all have the same issue, because we all are still waiting for MacOS 10.13.5 to be released.  10.13.4 does not provide support for messages in iCloud.  I suppose folks who are running a beta version of 10.13.5 may already be up and running, but they would be the only exception.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    THIS is my biggest complaint about Apple:

The added messages to iCloud, BUT THEY DIDN'T TELL USERS THEY HAVE TO TURN IN ON!

After updating to 11.4, you have to go to Settings, Your Name, iCloud, and then turn the toggle for messages to "on".  By default, it's off...

Most normal people would believe that a new feature, particularly one that you can't really see an explicit difference, would be turned on by default -- particularly if the switch is buried deeply into the infrastructure...

As a techy I thought to check for a switch.   So I went to Settings, messages and checked.  There was no switch, so I assumed that iCloud messages was always "ON".   I was wrong.   Here's how I found out:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/messages-in-icloud-ios-11-4-sync-imessage-ipad-iphone.html

Football2cgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 36
    THIS is my biggest complaint about Apple:

The added messages to iCloud, BUT THEY DIDN'T TELL USERS THEY HAVE TO TURN IN ON!

After updating to 11.4, you have to go to Settings, Your Name, iCloud, and then turn the toggle for messages to "on".  By default, it's off...

Most normal people would believe that a new feature, particularly one that you can't really see an explicit difference, would be turned on by default -- particularly if the switch is buried deeply into the infrastructure...

As a techy I thought to check for a switch.   So I went to Settings, messages and checked.  There was no switch, so I assumed that iCloud messages was always "ON".   I was wrong.   Here's how I found out:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/messages-in-icloud-ios-11-4-sync-imessage-ipad-iphone.html

Probably because it is more an iCloud option and your messages when synced there, will use up your iCloud data storage, afaik.
    But, I agree. I'm guessing we'll know more about it after WWDC keynote, especially if they are holding off on the Mac update to be able to use it (and hopefully some new Macs which are holding off the macOS version being released).
    watto_cobra