Apple releases iOS 11.4 for iPhone and iPad with AirPlay 2, Messages in iCloud support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    LukeCage said:
    lukei said:
    Just installed. HomePods (x2) sound great. Like they should have done months ago...
    If they could’ve released it months ago they would have. What would be the benifit of making people wait, all it does is cause angst and makes pundit “question whether Apple can innovation anymore”. Companies tend to release things as fast as they possibly can. 
    Then they shouldn’t have announced it as a feature. I do understand the challenges with multi room audio however better to have not announced it then delighted when then did release. 

I believe the expression is underpromise and overdeliver. Makes for far happier customers in the end. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 29
    lukei said:
    LukeCage said:
    lukei said:
    Just installed. HomePods (x2) sound great. Like they should have done months ago...
    If they could’ve released it months ago they would have. What would be the benifit of making people wait, all it does is cause angst and makes pundit “question whether Apple can innovation anymore”. Companies tend to release things as fast as they possibly can. 
    Then they shouldn’t have announced it as a feature. I do understand the challenges with multi room audio however better to have not announced it then delighted when then did release. 

I believe the expression is underpromise and overdeliver. Makes for far happier customers in the end. 
    I know what you’re saying but how did they overpromise and underdeliver? Apple didn’t “announce it as a feature”, they said that it was a feature that was coming in an update and not at shipping.  They didn’t provide a date and then miss it, it was a very general announcement.  Just because some people were hoping for it on launch day doesn’t mean Apple missed a deadline.

Also, what’s wrong with saying “this product can do this out of the box and soon will also be able to do that”? It’s not as though Apple is one of those companies that is famous for announcing products or services that never see the light of day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Rayz2016 said:
    “Our security and encryption team has been doing work over a number of years now to be able to synchronize information across your, what we call your circle of devices — all those devices that are associated with the common account — in a way that they each generate and share keys with each other that Apple does not have,” said Apple’s Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi in an interview with Apple blogger John Gruber. “And so, even if they store information in the cloud, it’s encrypted with keys that Apple doesn’t have.”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/apple-ios-11-imessage-security/

Interesting. I hope they do a session or two on this next week. 

The implications of this could be huge. If Apple has now reached a point where they feel they can sync information securely then the AI they use to catalogue photos will be consistent across devices for one thing. (You won’t need to set off recognition on your iPhone and then do the same thing on the iPad). 

This is what they were waiting for before they could move Siri forward. Your devices can now learn and retain stuff about you, and this information won’t be lost when you buy a new device. 

Thanks for this. So Apple will not be able to access any data from Messages in the cloud. And very cool if this is how it works.

Will we be able to see Messages in iCloud now? Such that if I lose my phone on a trip, I can log into iCloud on any computer and review Messages?
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    John Gruber posted on his website that Apple is finally caught up with everything they announced at WWDC last year. Sick burn.
    Yep. While the R&D budget and expenditures just keep going up and up (money sinks like the Apple Car), the quality of released software continues in a downward spiral and Federighi's middle name is becoming "vaporware."
  • Reply 25 of 29
    albegarcalbegarc Posts: 50member
    Yesterday I installed iOS 11.4 and Watch OS 4.3.1 but it caused me some serious troubles with my music library, I don´t underatnd why, but almost all my music library was erased in my iPhone and was completely erased in my AW. Any one with a similar  problem???

Than You.
    eric deardorffwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 29
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    iMessages in the cloud does not work as no release of Mac OS 10.13.5 yet... odd it is not turned on by default, unless you read forums you will never know this new feature exists, unless some nerdy Apple fan tells you. When can we expect 10.13.5 to iMac to be released?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    hrguyhrguy Posts: 24member
    Another bug fix (even though it took quite a while) that also comes with the iOS 11.4 update is an iPad Pro charging issue with Logitech Create keyboards. After the release of iOS 11 in 2018, Pros that were charging on a lightning cable would stop charging when connected to the LC keyboard case with SmartConnect, and subsequently run down, even with lightning plugged in.

Thankfully Apple responded to complaints and this is no longer an issue. I’m 100% happy with my Pro again  :)

(And maybe it’s just a halo effect but I swear that page scolling is *even more* buttery smooth with this update, too.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    DurangoenlineaDurangoenlinea Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Messages in iCloud can send plain SMS messages to other non iCloud phones?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Haven't seen this confirmed anywhere but is Messages in the Cloud primarily for device-to-device syncing? I'd like to access my Messages on iCloud.com but after activating it on my iPhone I still can't see that option on the website.