Android Xiaomi Mi 8 shamelessly copies iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
Many Android phones have been heavily influenced by the iPhone X since Apple's flagship arrived last year, but the latest from Xiaomi may be the most blatant ripoff yet.

Xiaomi's new MI 8 flagship

The Chinese manufacturer unveiled its new flagship smartphone, the Mi 8, at a press event in China, with more details released in a company blog post. And, the iPhone X influence is rather obvious.

Yes, there's a notch. Yes, the shape and curves are about the same, and yes, there's a facial-unlock feature much like Face ID. The only clear difference is the size -- the screen the Mi 8 is slightly larger at 6.21 inches as opposed to 5.8 for the iPhone X.

The Mi 8 is also the first smartphone to use Qualcomm's Snapdragon 710. Xiaomi has been seen as possibly entering the U.S. smartphone market this year, but there's been no announcement about that.

Copycat notches

A notched smartphone, introduced at MWC in 2018

At the Mobile World Congress back in February, various manufacturers showed up with smartphones that featured the notch with some, such as Asus, even openly admitting that they were copying the feature from the iPhone X. This indicated that notches are the next evolution in smartphone design, soon to see adoption industry-wide.

LG, which placed a notch on its ThinQ phone, has been adamant that it didn't copy the feature from the iPhone.

As for the legal implications, there's been no word yet about Apple trying to pursue patent litigation related to the notch. Apple filed a patent for what would become the notch in November of 2016, which was granted in January 2018. Apple certainly hasn't been shy in the past about suing rivals who it feels have copied aspects of its iPhone designs.

The Essential Phone actually came to the market with the notch before the iPhone X, although that company recently cancelled its next release.
nunzy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    Just because it has a notch does not make it as good a phone as iPhone. These Android people will steal everything.
    jbdragonwlymmagman1979lostkiwiclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 111
    So they notch the screen to accommodate sensors/camera/earpiece but still have a decent sized bezel at the bottom of the phone? The reason the iPhone X has a notch is there is no bezel area to put them in. They could've scored a win by having a notch-less screen going right to the bottom and used the bezel space at the top, but then it wouldn't "look" like an iPhone X. :lol: smh
  • Reply 3 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Considering their Face ID-like tech is considerably worse than Face ID that notch is huge. Its lines are also considerably less attractive compared to the iPhone's.

2) Note that the top has more space between the display and edge than the sides of the display, while the iPhone X is uniform on all sides.

3) I question their 90% screen to body ratio considering the chin at the bottom.

adm1 said:
    So they notch the screen to accommodate sensors/camera/earpiece but still have a decent sized bezel at the bottom of the phone? The reason the iPhone X has a notch is there is no bezel area to put them in. They could've scored a win by having a notch-less screen going right to the bottom and used the bezel space at the top, but then it wouldn't "look" like an iPhone X. :lol: smh
    The bezel at the bottom of iPhones never held those sensors. Those were always at the top, so the question is why do these copycats still need a bezel at the bottom? They put the finger print sensor on the back.
    edited May 2018 jbdragonStrangeDaysLukeCagemacseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 111
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member
    ... so the question is why do these copycats still need a bezel at the bottom? They put the finger print sensor on the back.
    Because they aren't using the more expensive flexible OLED panels that Apple's using. They need the chin to house the connections for the display, while Apple's folds underneath, keeping all connections underneath the display, instead of at the end of it.
    jbdragonwlymStrangeDaysLukeCageradarthekatjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 111
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Soli said:
    3) I question their 90% screen to body ratio considering the chin at the bottom.

Is that photo from the Xiaomi event? I seem to remember another Chinese company that had a slide where they referred to iPhone X  as Fruit Phone X. Also the notch looks smaller than the photo above it. Having said that I too would like to know how these screen to body ratios are calculated.
  • Reply 6 of 111
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Soli said:
    The bezel at the bottom of iPhones never held those sensors. Those were always at the top, so the question is why do these copycats still need a bezel at the bottom? They put the finger print sensor on the back.
    One of the phones they announced has fingerprint sensor under the display.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    Soli said:

Is that photo from the Xiaomi event? I seem to remember another Chinese company that had a slide where they referred to iPhone X  as Fruit Phone X. Also the notch looks smaller than the photo above it. Having said that I too would like to know how these screen to body ratios are calculated.
    You're right. I think that's an Asus. If it's one of the two listed in the link I supplied it's only 83.6%.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 8 of 111
    marsorrymarsorry Posts: 53member
    I’m almost certainly convinced that Apple won’t take this to court.  Only if the sales figures seriously harm sales of Apple’s device would they do that in my view.  Apple’s already too far along in its cycle for this device to have affected the sales of the X.  Besides, their global footprint is also relatively small compared to Samsung and Apple, so if it went to court - the returns (should they win) would be largely insignificant.  Xiaomi has been copying for a while, with little retaliation and so have others.  If Samsung pulled a stunt like that, rest assured we’d be back in court in no time 😅😅
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 111

One thing I am understand is - Why is Apple NOT suing them? This would teach them a lesson and also prevent blatant copying like what is going on, particularly with the notch.

radarthekatmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 111
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    The notch is merely a cutout in the screen to minimise bezels.

Depending on the elements you want to accommodate in the front facing part of the phone, the notch will be wider or narrower and the screen to body ratio will be higher or lower.

Sharp probably did more than anyone else to tackle these issues with different designs over the years before the Aquos Crystal S2 and of course the Essential Phone.

Those were small notches. Apple followed with a wider notch as it wanted to pack more into it.

From a purely design perspective I doubt Apple can do anything as it itself is doing what others have done. 

This year is by all accounts (and for better or worse) the year of the notch but notches are 'in' and no doubt sway more than a few purchase decisions.

Now, 95%+ screen ratio phones are basically already here so I wonder if notches will be 'out' sooner than we think or if they will stick around as another preference option (like front or rear fingerprint sensors (be they underscreen, in screen, ultrasonic or whatever).

The next big splash (designwise) is supposedly the Lenovo Z5 which is also touted to bring a couple of tech advances (4TB of memory and 45 day standby time).

Next Tuesday we will know for sure.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 11 of 111
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The copycat phones all have a bezel at the bottom because they need this space to connect the screen to the display controller. The iPhone X doesn't have a "chin" because the screen is a flexible OLED which folds around the base.

Also if you see one of these phones in person, pay attention to the width of the bezels... they're rather thicker than how they are shown here.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

As for the legal implications, there's been no word yet about Apple trying to pursue patent litigation related to the notch. Apple filed a patent for what would become the notch in November of 2016, which was granted in January 2018. Apple certainly hasn't been shy in the past about suing rivals who it feels have copied aspects of its iPhone designs.

The Essential Phone actually came to the market with the notch before the iPhone X, although that company recently cancelled its next release.
    As far as I'm reading the Apple patent you referenced "the notch" is not part of the protected design. Only those elements with solid lines are included, and within the notch area that means only one of the two horizontal cutouts is a protected design feature and not the entire piece.

But yeah this Xiaomi phone is a pretty blatant close copy IMHO. I don't personally think there's a chance in Hades that Apple will sue them over it but I could be surprised. The Chinese manufacturers are certainly flexing their muscle and seemingly challenging Apple to do something about it. 
    edited May 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 111
    marsorry said:
    I’m almost certainly convinced that Apple won’t take this to court.  Only if the sales figures seriously harm sales of Apple’s device would they do that in my view.  Apple’s already too far along in its cycle for this device to have affected the sales of the X.  Besides, their global footprint is also relatively small compared to Samsung and Apple, so if it went to court - the returns (should they win) would be largely insignificant.  Xiaomi has been copying for a while, with little retaliation and so have others.  If Samsung pulled a stunt like that, rest assured we’d be back in court in no time 😅😅
    How would Apple sue Samsung for copying Notch if they join the other copycats eventually, when they have not sued so many others before them (particularly Asus, who had the audacity to call Fruit Phone X despite being a copycat)?
    magman1979
  • Reply 14 of 111
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    marsorry said:
    Apple is not going to take this to court not because of sales figure.  The main thing is that xiaomi-too has no presence in the U.S. If Apple sues the mi-too company in China, they certainly aren't going to win just like all other court cases that they have wasted their money on in China and yields no favorable result for them.  Rest assure, though, these mi-too devices won't make it into the U.S. as long as they blatantly copy Apple the way they do.  The entire Chinese everything industry is centered around poorly duplicating existing products.
    lkruppmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 111
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    One last copycat to follow the suit to complete portfolio: Samsung! Will see what idiotic fandroids got to say.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 111

One thing I am understand is - Why is Apple NOT suing them? This would teach them a lesson and also prevent blatant copying like what is going on, particularly with the notch.

At the very least, Apple would struggle to demonstrate that it owns the notch design. As it says in the article, Essential came out with a notch before Apple did. LG also filed a patent in 2016 that had a phone with a notch in the illustration. Let's be realistic, the notch is not an intentional design, it's a workaround before anyone figures out how to make a bezel-free phone.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 17 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What a sorry state of affairs. Unrepentant dipsticks.
    magman1979spacerayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    but ... but ... when the 'notch' first appeared all the Apple haters mocked it!
    brucemcmagman1979lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 111

At the very least, Apple would struggle to demonstrate that it owns the notch design. As it says in the article, Essential came out with a notch before Apple did. LG also filed a patent in 2016 that had a phone with a notch in the illustration. Let's be realistic, the notch is not an intentional design, it's a workaround before anyone figures out how to make a bezel-free phone.
    1) While I don't think the notch is protectable, it's disingenuous to imply that Essential was first with the idea (which may or may not be what you're implying) when the rumours of the notched phone predate Essential Phone's first announcement of their design that only notched the camera. This notion gets even more warped when you see people saying that Apple stole the idea from Essential when it's impossible based on the timeline of their products, unless one can prove that Apple had a spy into Essential's designs and took the idea from them.

2) The notch is absolutely intentional. "Workarounds," if you want to call it that, are intentional. It's very clearly a motion to make more of the front face the display but needed to keep certain sensors and components front facing. It's because of the nw display tech that allows it to exist. The notch is not an accident! Notching was going to happen as soon as foldable display tech became available.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 111
    MacPro said:
    but ... but ... when the 'notch' first appeared all the Apple haters mocked it!
    Stages of Apple Hatred:

Stage 1: What a dumb move by Apple.

Stage 2: Apple wasn't the first to offer this.

Stage 3: Everyone is doing it because it was the obvious move all along.
    retrogustophotography guybrucemcStrangeDaysLukeCageradarthekatmagman1979lostkiwianton zuykovwatto_cobra