MacBook & iPad Pro updates might not make it to WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    If this is true it shows Apple has the worst product update strategy in the whole business and are taking their customers for granted. The MacBook Pro's have processors that are 2 generations behind! Dell and others have introduced 8th gen intel processors months ago. Apple is a like a slow moving dinosaur. What is wrong with a MacBook Pro update every 8 to 12 months? We deserve better than this......
    avon b7cgWerks
  • Reply 22 of 131
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    nunzy said:
    Apple never releases products until they are fully baked. But when they do, it's worth the wait.
    Oh please. The first generation of Apple Watch was not fully baked. Neither was the HomePod.
    nunzy
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    If this is true it shows Apple has the worst product update strategy in the whole business and are taking their customers for granted. The MacBook Pro's have processors that are 2 generations behind! Dell and others have introduced 8th gen intel processors months ago. Apple is a like a slow moving dinosaur. What is wrong with a MacBook Pro update every 8 to 12 months? We deserve better than this......
    The last MacBook Pro update was... 12 months ago.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 131
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    If there's nothing significant to update the MacBook Pro to then what should Apple do? Apple should just update the MacBook Pro for the sake of just saying we updated it?
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 131
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    What about the Mac Pro? Seems like an ideal time to announce it. 
    Would be nice, but haven’t they already said LATE 2018 or sometime in 2019?

As they did with the iMac Pro last year, they could tell us about what the final design/specs are, even if it's another 6 months away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 131
    createriocreaterio Posts: 26member
    New MacBook Air makes so little sense, since the 12" MacBook is already even airier; I find it strange all these "analysts" are so stuck on it. If they do release a replacement, it might be simply a larger MacBook, possibly 13.3" to replace both the old Air and the non-touch bar Pro. Which I would be interested in since I'm so over the iPads (been using a 10.5" Pro since the release). I need a light traveling companion that can handle some photo work, but iPads are still too limited, even with all the advancements.
    fastasleepronnrandominternetperson
  • Reply 27 of 131
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Instead of commenting jibber-jabber, wait 4 more days and you will know the truth.Whenever next gen 2018 Macbook pro comes out, Apple make sure to have few models without that touch strip. Touch-strip makes it more expensive and complex to repair with little benefits.
    edited May 2018 randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 131
    macxpress said:
    If there's nothing significant to update the MacBook Pro to then what should Apple do? Apple should just update the MacBook Pro for the sake of just saying we updated it?
    But there is something to update MacBook Pro's with... the 8th gen of intel processors which are much faster than the 6th and 7th generations. The 8th gen devices were released in October of last year and updated in April of this year! IF it is true that MacBook Pro's won't be updated at WWDC then it would be a wasted opportunity to get these devices to be competitive. Apple used to move quickly when updating Mac devices. We can see with the Mac Mini and others that this desire has gone. They are no longer hungry.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 29 of 131
    And IF this story is true we won't be seeing an update until October at the earliest....... This would mean a 16 month refresh cycle! With all their R&D budget I would expect them to be able to introduce a processor update to their devices within a few months of Intel releasing them onto the market. Given that the 8th gen chips started shipping in late 2017 that seems like wishful thinking!
    bshank
  • Reply 30 of 131
    ljc94512ljc94512 Posts: 54member
    And IF this story is true we won't be seeing an update until October at the earliest....... This would mean a 16 month refresh cycle! With all their R&D budget I would expect them to be able to introduce a processor update to their devices within a few months of Intel releasing them onto the market. Given that the 8th gen chips started shipping in late 2017 that seems like wishful thinking!
    Not the chips that are suitable for the MacBook Pro though.  Apple has had longer than 12 months upgrade cycle before as well, I don't see a big issue with that.  
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 131
    ljc94512 said:
    Not the chips that are suitable for the MacBook Pro though.  Apple has had longer than 12 months upgrade cycle before as well, I don't see a big issue with that.  
    Sorry LJC94512 but that's not true. Quad core performance with 8th Gen was introduced last year and Dell had machines available in November....... 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3237065/laptop-computers/dell-xps-13-2017-review-intels-8th-gen-cpu-makes-a-great-laptop-even-greater.html

AND they had a major redesign for the laptop in March and it has been available since then.....

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-13-2018/review/

As I said, Apple is moving like a Dinosaur here. Whether you are supporter of Apple or not, it's hard to justify how long these refresh cycles take when others are moving over 6 months faster!
    bshankavon b7cgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 131
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mazda 3s said:
    nunzy said:
    Apple never releases products until they are fully baked. But when they do, it's worth the wait.
    MBP Butterfly-Key Keyboard? ;)
      The 2017 refresh MBPs were redesigned in that respect were they not?  Mine is superb.
    ronnwatto_cobralamboaudi4
  • Reply 33 of 131
    ljc94512 said:
    Sorry LJC94512 but that's not true. Quad core performance with 8th Gen was introduced last year and Dell had machines available in November....... 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3237065/laptop-computers/dell-xps-13-2017-review-intels-8th-gen-cpu-makes-a-great-laptop-even-greater.html

AND they had a major redesign for the laptop in March and it has been available since then.....

As I said, Apple is moving like a Dinosaur here. Whether you are supporter of Apple or not, it's hard to justify how long these refresh cycles take when others are moving over 6 months faster!
    Sorry but if you look at the models of the “8th gen mobile I-series processors” listed on Intel’s site, they were all released in the 2nd quarter of 2018, so by no means in Apple being extremely slow.  If anything they are doing the smart thing in R&D and waiting for your supplier to have a refined product before you spend a lot of money on redesigning the motherboard since the “wiring” is not compatible with the previous generation.

Besides  2016 & 2018 processor still do fine for today, or next week, month or three for an update.    But then i shouldn’t buy it then because another refresh is just 9-12 months away.  Whatever should a person do?  Oh yeah simply and be happy.  There are a lot of better things to worry about then do I have the best tech for 30 seconds..... This is not the same improvements of the old 486 or Pentium days.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 131
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Wasn't the current Macbook Pro updated with Kaby Lake in June 2017?  Don't these machine carry the Mid 2017 model naming as well?  Sheesh... :/
  • Reply 35 of 131
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    ljc94512 said:

Maybe these are off or something, but the 8th Gen CPU really isn't any better in terms of performance. 

This is what's currently used in the cheapest 15" MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7700HQ+@+2.80GHz

Highend CPU in current MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7820HQ+@+2.90GHz&id=2952

Optional CPU in current MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7920HQ+@+3.10GHz

The CPU in the Dell you specified is the Intel 8550u CPU (8th gen) benchmark is here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-8550U+@+1.80GHz

Benchmarks: 

7700HQ: 8862
    7820HQ: 9409
    7920HQ: 10230

8550U: 8325

These are all Core i7 models.

You will see the performance of that is below that of the one you think Apple could be using. The updated one does use less watts, but doesn't appear to be faster. 

My point being...just because its new(er) doesn't mean its better in terms of performance which goes back to my other point of, so you just want Apple to put the newest CPU in for the sake of updating when there may actually be little to no performance increase. I think back to the days of the G4 where Apple would release new Macs with updated G4 CPU's that performed WORSE than the outgoing model in terms of performance in real world testing. Once again, the latest and greatest doesn't always mean its better and just because Dell, HP, etc are using them doesn't mean they're ahead of Apple by any means. 
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 131
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    “We want to be transparent and communicate openly with our pro community so we want them to know that the Mac Pro is a 2019 product. It’s not something for this year.” Tom Boger, Apple senior director of Mac hardware product marketing.
    fastasleepronncgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 131
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    macxpress said:
    ljc94512 said:

Maybe these are off or something, but the 8th Gen CPU really isn't any better in terms of performance. 

This is what's currently used in the cheapest 15" MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7700HQ+@+2.80GHz

Highend CPU in current MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7820HQ+@+2.90GHz&id=2952

Optional CPU in current MacBook Pro:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7920HQ+@+3.10GHz

The CPU in the Dell you specified is the Intel 8550u CPU (8th gen) benchmark is here:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-8550U+@+1.80GHz

Benchmarks: 

7700HQ: 8862
    7820HQ: 9409
    7920HQ: 10230

8550U: 8325

These are all Core i7 models.

You will see the performance of that is below that of the one you think Apple could be using. The updated one does use less watts, but doesn't appear to be faster. 

My point being...just because its new(er) doesn't mean its better in terms of performance which goes back to my other point of, so you just want Apple to put the newest CPU in for the sake of updating when there may actually be little to no performance increase. I think back to the days of the G4 where Apple would release new Macs with updated G4 CPU's that performed WORSE than the outgoing model in terms of performance in real world testing. Once again, the latest and greatest doesn't always mean its better and just because Dell, HP, etc are using them doesn't mean they're ahead of Apple by any means. 
    No- you're completely right, and these aren't off at all. There is not much of an engineering reason for Apple to update processors for WWDC. We'll be talking a little more about it tomorrow.
    ronnroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macxpress said:
    ...in a year.
    They’ve had since 2013.
    cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 131
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    gutengel said:
    If true, this is a huge missed opportunity for Apple. I was planing to buy the new iPad Pro w pencil this month and then the new Apple Watch with Airpods on fall. But getting all new products announcements on fall will me think twice about which devices I will get. It feels less of a punch in your wallet when you get 3+ months between purchases, and I'm sure many people feel the same way...
    So releasing products before they're ready is worth "not missing the opportunity"? In the grand scheme of things, plus or minus a few months won't make a difference for sales, what would make a difference is releasing these products before Apple deems them ready to release. 

ronn
  • Reply 40 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

As they did with the iMac Pro last year, they could tell us about what the final design/specs are, even if it's another 6 months away.
    Possibly. It sure would help people who have been holding off making major Apple computer purchases in their decision making. If things look very promising, they'd hold off longer. If things still look murky, they may make the regrettable decision to buy Windows alternatives.
    cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingam