Android Xiaomi Mi 8 shamelessly copies iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The notch is merely a cutout in the screen to minimise bezels.
    Ah yes, it's completely organic that the knockoffs reached this point in their product design immediately after Apple's controversial decision, and that their entire casings, trim, icons, notch shapes, wallpaper, and even product photography are designed to ape the X. 

There's no way this is just a shameless ripoff by another chinese knockoff, right?

As I said very clearly. A notch is a notch is a notch.  If we are talking about that, notches, Apple wasn't first and saying (as some do) that there were rumours about the Apple notch and that Essential and Sharp quickly took those rumours and brought products to market first, is simply laughable.

Another thing is if someone makes a clone of the whole thing.

I don't recall anyone saying X was the first to release a device with a protrusion into the screen, but their protrusion, shaped and defined as a "notch" is unique even from Essential. And further, the post-X clones are shameless ripoffs in every way they can achieve. 

Can you say it, perhaps just one time: "These are ripoffs of the X". Try it.
    If one were to do one of those before and after the iPhone images, I think it's just Essential Phone with the round camera cutout, then the iPhone X in the middle, and then all the devices that came after it with an iPhone X-esque notch.
    Yes, I think that's a pretty decent stab at describing the situation. Depending on what you plan on putting in the notch it's going to get wider or deeper and most will have similarities to a degree. That is virtually a given. It is somewhat ironic that (just like in fashion) the popularity of full screen phones (and the necessary notches) from a host of manufacturers (not just Apple) has helped to sway public opinion into accepting them as something normal or even desirable (as fashion statements, at least). So the more notched/full screen phones there are in the public eye, the more intense the desire to have own for those looking for a new phone.

Unfortunately, the entire Apple lineup right now, with the exception of the iPhone X, is looking (again, from a purely design perspective) decidedly old fashioned, something that is worsened by the fact that the entire 6,7 and 8 series all have the same basic design.

edited May 2018
  • Reply 42 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Ah yes, it's completely organic that the knockoffs reached this point in their product design immediately after Apple's controversial decision, and that their entire casings, trim, icons, notch shapes, wallpaper, and even product photography are designed to ape the X. 

There's no way this is just a shameless ripoff by another chinese knockoff, right?

As I said very clearly. A notch is a notch is a notch.  If we are talking about that, notches, Apple wasn't first and saying (as some do) that there were rumours about the Apple notch and that Essential and Sharp quickly took those rumours and brought products to market first, is simply laughable.

I don't recall anyone saying X was the first to release a device with a protrusion into the screen, but their protrusion, shaped and defined as a "notch" is unique even from Essential. And further, the post-X clones are shameless ripoffs in every way they can achieve. 

If one were to do one of those before and after the iPhone images, I think it's just Essential Phone with the round camera cutout, then the iPhone X in the middle, and then all the devices that came after it with an iPhone X-esque notch.
    Yes, I think that's a pretty decent stab at describing the situation. Depending on what you plan on putting in the notch it's going to get wider or deeper and most will have similarities to a degree. That is virtually a given. It is somewhat ironic that (just like in fashion) the popularity of full screen phones (and the necessary notches) from a host of manufacturers (not just Apple) has helped to sway public opinion into accepting them as something normal or even desirable (as fashion statements, at least). So the more notched/full screen phones there are in the public eye, the more intense the desire to have own for those looking for a new phone.

Unfortunately, the entire Apple lineup right now, with the exception of the iPhone X, is looking (again, from a purely design perspective) decidedly old fashioned, something that is worsened by the fact that the entire 6,7 and 8 series all have the same basic design.
    Man, you just can't say the words: "They copied Apple."

As for your second paragraph, there's nothing "unfortunate" at all. The Apple lineup is literally generating fortunes. Additionally, the non-X handsets don't look old fashioned, because phones are tools very closely limited to their form factor. It's a slab of glass that displays things and fits in the hand. There won't be a triangle-phone anytime soon for the sake of novelty. And all your chinese knockoffs are doing is copying the same shell casing design details as that existing boring iPhone line, right down to the drilled speaker holes. Innovation!
    edited May 2018 claire1radarthekatsuddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 111
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

As for your second paragraph, there's nothing "unfortunate" at all. The Apple lineup is literally generating fortunes. Additionally, the non-X handsets don't look old fashioned, because phones are tools very closely limited to their form factor. It's a slab of glass that displays things and fits in the hand. There won't be a triangle-phone anytime soon for the sake of novelty. And all your chinese knockoffs are doing is copying the same shell casing design details as that existing boring iPhone line, right down to the drilled speaker holes. Innovation!
    Well, you can't really state that a phone doesn't look old-fashioned because these tools' "form follows function",  and still claim Chinese devices are just copies. 

But in this case Xiaomi definitely deliberately and shamelessly used the X as a blueprint.
    edited May 2018 claire1
  • Reply 44 of 111
    IreneW said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Well, you can't really state that a phone doesn't look old-fashioned because these tools' "form follows function",  and still claim Chinese devices are just copies. 

But in this case Xiaomi definitely deliberately and shamelessly used the X as a blueprint.
    Irene, you hit the nail on the head. 'In this case'. Strange Days makes a point of claiming that any phone coming out of China is a 'knock off'.

I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could pick up something like a P20 Pro and call it a 'knock off' and say it lacks 'innovation', both from a design perspective and a technological perspective. 

• Reply 45 of 111
    marsorry said:
    I’m almost certainly convinced that Apple won’t take this to court.  Only if the sales figures seriously harm sales of Apple’s device would they do that in my view.  Apple’s already too far along in its cycle for this device to have affected the sales of the X.  Besides, their global footprint is also relatively small compared to Samsung and Apple, so if it went to court - the returns (should they win) would be largely insignificant.  Xiaomi has been copying for a while, with little retaliation and so have others.  If Samsung pulled a stunt like that, rest assured we’d be back in court in no time 😅😅
    Remember SJ was the one that went nuclear on samesing. Tim on the other hand is only interested in executing and pressing the pedal to the metal and leaving every other phone company in the dust by designing stuff that is almost impossible to realistically copy.  Androol  os devices can only effectively just stay afloat  by selling in volume and hoping one day they can make a-few cents from apps and so on and even that isn't working well. The losses most are incuring  just to keep up is all they really can do. The high profitability strategy seems to be working so far for apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 111
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Android iKnocker Luser:

"Wow! Apple Burned LMFAO!!!!!!! [knockoff laughing emoji]."

"The notch is smaller!!!!! Apple is falling behind the iKnockoffs!"

"iKnockoffs aren't knockoffs because this was the obvious way to go for the industry all along...."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 111
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You must be new to Apple, whole product categories have sprung up over Apple rumors and patents. It's pathetic.

And if you think Apple copied the notch for the sake of copying, you're new to Apple.

Apple is ONE company battling against 1,300 companies and over 3,000 knockoff iPhones a year. Everything Apple does, androids can pull any of the 3,000 losing knockoffs up and say "look! we did it first!!!! Apple copied this random company from Thailand!!!!" because they have a near infinite pool of knockoffs to pull from.
    edited May 2018 StrangeDaysradarthekatsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 111
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    claire1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You must be new to Apple, whole product categories have sprung up over Apple rumors and patents. It's pathetic.

And if you think Apple copied the notch for the sake of copying, you're new to Apple.

Apple is ONE company battling against 1,300 companies and over 3,000 knockoff iPhones a year. Everything Apple does, androids can pull any of the 3,000 losing knockoffs up and say "look! we did it first!!!! Apple copied this random company from Thailand!!!!" because they have a near infinite pool of knockoffs to pull from.
    He’s not new.  He’s been concern trolling for years.
    StrangeDaysclaire1radarthekatsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    but ... but ... when the 'notch' first appeared all the Apple haters mocked it!
    Stages of Apple Hatred:

Stage 1: What a dumb move by Apple.

Stage 2: Apple wasn't the first to offer this.

Stage 3: Everyone is doing it because it was the obvious move all along.
    Beat me to it. This is actually getting old....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    IreneW said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Sure I can. People complain that the iconic iPhone styling is stale. I say it’s successful and unbroken. But I also say that cheap chinese knockoffs are copying that iconic styling. 

There’s not a contradiction here if you understand nuance. 
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 111
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    huawei renamed their chip like intelligent chip just only two days after Keynote of Apple where bionic A11 presented (the intelligent chip by Apple).
    asus, nokia, and many others brands copied notch without 3D (the real notch of Apple is patented). But android P copied also. In fake way like always they do, but isn’t right and isn’t acceptable that this happens. Not correct. The software of iPhone X , the gestures , are patented also. Now also this xiaomi..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No one made a “They did it because they just want people to Xiaomi the money” joke yet? Huh.
    edited May 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 111
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

The word that you want to use is "iconic", which roughly translates to "exceedingly profitable", because fashion is every so fleeting once it hits the bargain tables.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 111
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member
    The nerve of these rippers. First ripoff so shamelessly, then call it 'Fruit Phone X'. 

Just when we may think it cant get more, Xiaomi set new records of shamelessness.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member
    Apple had sued Samsung and now Samsung is the one company which is not ripping off the notch and other elements of iPhone X design.

Conclusion? Time for Apple to sue the hell out of Xiaomi. Not sure if it is even worth suing them in China, but sue them wherever possible.

This is not about being pro-Apple, but about being anti-ripping off. These shameless rippers dont even have the decency to atleast not mock the very company they are ripping off. What a depraved culture these companies have. It would be wrong not to sue them.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 56 of 111
    claire1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

I am not saying Apple copied anything.

I am saying that some people are trying to imply that other manufacturers saw rumours about an Apple notch and decided to implement it before Apple. When you reach that level of thinking, it is absurd.

As for Android phones doing things first simply because there are lots of manufacturers competing against each other you are largely right. Where you are wrong is trying to present an Apple against 1,300 Android manufacturers scenario. You are mistaken. Apple is just another handset maker so it would be more realistic to think of 1,301 manufacturers (Apple included) competing against each other.

Your iKnockoff claim is on shaky ground too, as there are handsets out there that are ahead of even the iPhone X in many areas. And I mean way ahead and you should at least be aware of that.

gatorguy
  • Reply 57 of 111
    spacerays said:
    Apple had sued Samsung and now Samsung is the one company which is not ripping off the notch and other elements of iPhone X design.

Conclusion? Time for Apple to sue the hell out of Xiaomi. Not sure if it is even worth suing them in China, but sue them wherever possible.

This is not about being pro-Apple, but about being anti-ripping off. These shameless rippers dont even have the decency to atleast not mock the very company they are ripping off. What a depraved culture these companies have. It would be wrong not to sue them.
    I agree with your sentiment but can't help but feel it is rather late in the day. We are moving towards a situation where smartphones will simply be a slab of glass on the front and another (or of plastic or metal) on the back.

Phones have looked very similar (even with foreheads and chins) for a few years now and I don't remember any recent arguments from people who bought a phone thinking it was from a different manufacturer.

Even this Xiaomi has a chin which is different to any Apple phone and some have a rear mounted fingerprint sensor which no iPhone has ever had, so even with the similarities, there is plenty to set them apart.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    huawei renamed their chip like intelligent chip just only two days after Keynote of Apple where bionic A11 presented (the intelligent chip by Apple).
    asus, nokia, and many others brands copied notch without 3D (the real notch of Apple is patented). But android P copied also. In fake way like always they do, but isn’t right and isn’t acceptable that this happens. Not correct. The software of iPhone X , the gestures , are patented also. Now also this xiaomi..
    I don't know what you mean by Huawei renamed their chip. They didn't. It had always been the Kirin 970.

The notch is simply a cutout. Nothing more. What Apple had put in it is something completely different.

Android P simply accommodates the cutout which appeared on Android phones first.

singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Sum Ting WongSum Ting Wong Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple needs to go after Xiaomi for plagiarising its design and its Animoji software feature. If it looks similar to an Apple... it is an Apple design feature and should be protected. Xiaomi needs to be taken to court.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 60 of 111
    marsorry said:
    I’m almost certainly convinced that Apple won’t take this to court.  Only if the sales figures seriously harm sales of Apple’s device would they do that in my view.  Apple’s already too far along in its cycle for this device to have affected the sales of the X.  Besides, their global footprint is also relatively small compared to Samsung and Apple, so if it went to court - the returns (should they win) would be largely insignificant.  Xiaomi has been copying for a while, with little retaliation and so have others.  If Samsung pulled a stunt like that, rest assured we’d be back in court in no time 😅😅
    Remember SJ was the one that went nuclear on samesing. Tim on the other hand is only interested in executing and pressing the pedal to the metal and leaving every other phone company in the dust by designing stuff that is almost impossible to realistically copy.  Androol  os devices can only effectively just stay afloat  by selling in volume and hoping one day they can make a-few cents from apps and so on and even that isn't working well. The losses most are incuring  just to keep up is all they really can do. The high profitability strategy seems to be working so far for apple. 
    The second or third (depending on who you read) handset manufacturer worldwide increased prices by around 100€ pretty much across the board about a year and a half ago, declared it would move away from the low end and put more focus on the middle, high and ultra high ends.

The P20 series landed at the end of March with a 300%+ increase in sales YoY. The Honor 10 released in Europe less than two weeks ago and sold out on the first day (in Spain, in less than 6 hours) and has been sold out ever since. 

They now have phones that range from 200€ to well over 2,000€.

YoY profits for Huawei are up in double digits (as is revenue).

Last year they shipped 153,000,000 phones. Samsung shipped even more.

And you are implying that, as Android manufacturers, they are struggling to stay afloat. Wow!