These Marantz and Denon receivers are AirPlay 2 compatible

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2018
Home audio firms Marantz and Denon have added to the list of receivers and sound bar models on the market that will receive an update to support AirPlay 2.

On Wednesday, Apple released a list of third-party products that will gain support for AirPlay 2 in the future, including items already on the market and some that will be shipping soon. The list, made up of 32 products, included items from Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Libratone, Marantz, Naim, and Sonos.

Marantz and Denon supplied Poor Audiophile a complete list of devices that are planned to receive software updates adding AirPlay 2 compatibility in the future. While Apple's list included ten items from the Marantz and Denon product lines, the version provided by the manufacturers identifies 29 products that will be updated.

The latest list also seems to suggest some mistakes were made on Apple's version, as some models that appear on the first list do not appear on the second. Apple identifies the Denon AVR-X6500H and the Marantz AV7705, NA6006, SR5013, SR6013, and SR7013, but these are not visible in the updated list.

Just as with Apple's announcement, Marantz and Denon has not advised of when support for Apple's home streaming technology will be rolling out in a firmware update.

Marantz and Denon hardware that will gain AirPlay 2 support includes:
  • HEOS Home Cinema HS2

• Marantz ND8006

• Marantz NR1508

• Marantz NR1608

• Marantz SR5011

• Marantz SR5012

• Marantz SR6011

• Marantz SR6012

• Marantz SR7011

• Marantz SR7012

• Marantz AV8805

• Marantz AV7704

• Marantz AV7703

• Marantz SR8012

• Marantz NR1509

• Marantz NR1609

• Denon AVR-X4300H

• Denon AVR-X6300H

• Denon AVR-X8500H

• Denon AVR-X6400H

• Denon AVR-X4400H

• Denon AVR-X3400H
Released to the public as part of iOS 11.4 on Tuesday, AirPlay 2 updates Apple's home streaming platform with support for multi-room audio, allowing users to play music across multiple speakers, or shift playback from one room to another. Currently the Apple's own HomePod is the only speaker on the market that supports AirPlay 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    "In the future" means "don't hold your breath." Their firmware updates are famously slow to market. I've been waiting for a year and a half for the "coming soon" Dolby Vision update for my Denon. Denon and Marantz are made by the same company btw. Same guts, different case/branding.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    SR7009 is the one in my home theater. Bummer!

I'm still interested in using the Marantz unit with Sonos, so unless Sonos really knocks AirPlay 2 support out of the park, I'm probably best to stick with the Sonos Connect that sits next to the Marantz today.

Most importantly: The AirPlay 2 speakers (when being run by the Sonos App) should be streaming content from the network directly (like regular Sonos devices), not from the network > then through a mobile device > then to the AirPlay 2 device grouped with regular Sonos components. I live in a house with more than one person who controls the music, and it would be really annoying if one of us left to run an errand, all the music shuts down because the mobile device managing the AirPlay 2 devices has left the building. This is the beauty of the Sonos system, the beat goes on.

It's telling that I always frame AirPlay 2 in terms of how it will play with my Sonos devices. AirPlay 2 has a tall bar to clear. I am so happy with Sonos' performance. I'm intrigued by the potential of AirPlay 2 to allow more generic sources (PODCASTS!) that don't need to be integrated with the Sonos App, but I would be very disappointed to give up the niceties that come with the Sonos system.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    Wondering what company will build a low-cost airplay 2 compatible Wi-Fi receiver with analog audio out to plug-in to the millions of existing systems that can’t upgrade to airplay 2…
    aylkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    d_2 said:
    Wondering what company will build a low-cost airplay 2 compatible Wi-Fi receiver with analog audio out to plug-in to the millions of existing systems that can’t upgrade to airplay 2…
    Apple should sell  a modestly priced Airplay 2 dongle that has an optical out.  Apple used to make such things for earlier audio technologies although I don't recall if it was optical or phono out.

In fact now I think about it, even an extra Apple TV 4 dedicated to Audio would be cheaper than replacing a high end Receiver that lacked Airplay2.
    edited May 2018 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    widmarkwidmark Posts: 37member
    Hopefully an AirPlay 2 speaker switch from a good switchmaker... like Niles... will come soon.  Want to use AirPlay 2 to choose from various hardwired speakers in a whole home speaker system.  Will avoid having manually adjust/select from a centralized switch.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    widmark said:
    Hopefully an AirPlay 2 speaker switch from a good switchmaker... like Niles... will come soon.  Want to use AirPlay 2 to choose from various hardwired speakers in a whole home speaker system.  Will avoid having manually adjust/select from a centralized switch.  
    That is what I am hoping for as well. It would be good to have airplay 2 built into the switch/matrix so any person in the house can stream to the specific speakers in their location. I am planning a whole home audio system would like the versatility to play any source in any location including streaming devices. The switch would need to be Homekit compatible as well so you can control it from your phone.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Onkyo also supports Airplay but they have not said anything if they plan to support/upgrade to airplay 2. In the past if you want new feature it always required a new receiver, they software updates are none existence.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Here's a very good article on AP2 in addition to AI's excellent coverage.

"Apple has suggested that whatever speaker is connected to the Apple TV, be it a soundbar or speaker system, that would automatically become a de facto AirPlay 2 speaker. Now that is pretty cool. "

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/apple/141261-apple-airplay-2-what-is-it-how-does-it-work-and-what-devices-are-supported
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 9 of 17
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:
    Apple should sell  a modestly priced Airplay 2 dongle that has an optical out.  Apple used to make such things for earlier audio technologies although I don't recall if it was optical or phono out.

In fact now I think about it, even an extra Apple TV 4 dedicated to Audio would be cheaper than replacing a high end Receiver that lacked Airplay2.
    AppleTV is certainly today's AirPlay 2 answer to the Airport Express' AirPlay 1.

Maybe WWDC will lean into AirPlay 2 & HomeKit? There may be an opportunity for an Apple hardware product based on AirPlay 2. I'm not sure I'd bet on it, though.

My thought is that the typical go-to HomeKit vendors will jump on AirPlay 2 since it seems to be managed via HomeKit. Maybe Elgato (makers of Eve devices), Koogeek or iHome?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    maestro64 said:
    widmark said:
    That is what I am hoping for as well. It would be good to have airplay 2 built into the switch/matrix so any person in the house can stream to the specific speakers in their location. I am planning a whole home audio system would like the versatility to play any source in any location including streaming devices. The switch would need to be Homekit compatible as well so you can control it from your phone.
    This assumes that your speakers or the controls have individual amps per room, traditional Niles speaker switches have inputs that are already amplified (speaker ready)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:

AppleTV is certainly today's AirPlay 2 answer to the Airport Express' AirPlay 1.

Maybe WWDC will lean into AirPlay 2 & HomeKit? There may be an opportunity for an Apple hardware product based on AirPlay 2. I'm not sure I'd bet on it, though.

My thought is that the typical go-to HomeKit vendors will jump on AirPlay 2 since it seems to be managed via HomeKit. Maybe Elgato (makers of Eve devices), Koogeek or iHome?
    Good thoughts from both posts...

the articles lists ATV4 as an AP2 source selection option, similar to other newer Apple devices, and says that an ATV will work as an AP2 receiver -  probably just wishful thinking that ATV3’s could be useful once again as an AP2 receiver 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    d_2 said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:

the articles lists ATV4 as an AP2 source selection option, similar to other newer Apple devices, and says that an ATV will work as an AP2 receiver -  probably just wishful thinking that ATV3’s could be useful once again as an AP2 receiver 
    The Apple TV 4s are holding value even second hand and with ATV 4K out so not bargains.  What's needed is a lower cost ATV 4 without the video element i.e. a new Airplay 2 Airport Express from Apple at about $45.  Maybe one will be announced this coming WWDC /hopes

BTW for those with a Receiver / Amplifier that doesn't have a Toslink (AKA Optical) input here's the solution for connecting an Apple TV 4 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKX8BV7/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered a 2nd HomePod, can't wait to pair them up!  :)
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    widmarkwidmark Posts: 37member
    d_2 said:
    maestro64 said:
    widmark said:
    That is what I am hoping for as well. It would be good to have airplay 2 built into the switch/matrix . I am planning a whole home audio system would like the versatility to play any source in any location including streaming devices. The switch would need to be Homekit compatible as well so you can control it from your phone.
    This assumes that your speakers or the controls have individual amps per room, traditional Niles speaker switches have inputs that are already amplified (speaker ready)
    I have a single separate amp driving my manual speaker switch to simple speakers with no built in amps.  You don’t need individual amps per room although technically that would probably be a more efficient use of power.  If you go the same route depending on the distance from the amp to the speakers, use low gauge speaker wire to minimize signal and power loss.

maestro “so any person in the house can stream to the specific speakers in their location” ... yes that also gets rid of the need for multiple Bluetooth/wireless speakers all over the house.  Seems likely with more thought that to do this with many speakers you need both an AP2 external Switch and AP2 AV receiver... in addition to an external amp to drive the speakers in houses with more than a handful of speakers.  Most current low and mid level AV receivers can only have 2 to 3 simoultaneous sources (zones).
  • Reply 14 of 17
    farnsfarns Posts: 2member
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:

The Apple TV 4s are holding value even second hand and with ATV 4K out so not bargains.  What's needed is a lower cost ATV 4 without the video element i.e. a new Airplay 2 Airport Express from Apple at about $45.  Maybe one will be announced this coming WWDC /hopes

BTW for those with a Receiver / Amplifier that doesn't have a Toslink (AKA Optical) input here's the solution for connecting an Apple TV 4 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKX8BV7/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first thing I tried when 11.4 was released was using an HDMI to analog converter to hook up my ATV4 to some powered HEOS speakers and unfortunately there was a latency of a few milliseconds that made the system unlistenable in the same room.  

I have a center channel speaker hooked up using optical out from my TV that syncs fine.  AT4 > TV > Soundbar

I have a receiver and 5.1 home theater that syncs fine ATV4 > Sony AVR > Speakers

• Reply 15 of 17
    farnsfarns Posts: 2member
    I’m dying to know how these AVR receivers will show up on other AppleTV’s.  Right now I can choose to send audio from my ATV4 to my HomePod but not to other ATV4.  

I have a video projector on my ceiling and I busted the HDMI cord.  I was smart enough to have two Cat6 cables run at the same time and I’m using an HDMI adapter to run the video but it’s a little soft.  I’d like to just throw an ATV4 up on the ceiling but I’m stuck with a solution to get the audio back to the receiver.   If Airplay 2 recievers take the audio from my ATV4 it might just be a solution - though I wonder what the mix would be.  Couldn’t be anything more than a stero mix could it?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    farns said:
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    d_2 said:

The first thing I tried when 11.4 was released was using an HDMI to analog converter to hook up my ATV4 to some powered HEOS speakers and unfortunately there was a latency of a few milliseconds that made the system unlistenable in the same room.  

I have a center channel speaker hooked up using optical out from my TV that syncs fine.  AT4 > TV > Soundbar

I have a receiver and 5.1 home theater that syncs fine ATV4 > Sony AVR > Speakers

I just tested ATV 4K model with new MacBook Pro using Logic Pro X to see if I could play live and monitor through HiFi system connected via the ATV 4K.  No such luck, same exact delay as Bluetooth or Airplay 1.  Wired amplification, headphones in MBP or using built in speakers on MBP there is zero delay in monitoring.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    No love for the Marantz 7010. Nice to buy a $2200 receiver that gets all firmware support dropped from it in less than two years. Apple just updated Airport Express units from 2012 to run Airplay 2, but a $2200 Marantz flagship from 2015/16? Heck no! Not even MultiEQ app support a little over a year after it was released. Nothing. Just the PAID $199 Auro 3D upgrade that all the newer models also get for FREE. Great way to treat your customers if you want them to buy a $2000+ receiver from you ever again, Marantz.