Apple's 2018 6.1-inch iPhone may look like these 'leaked' design renderings

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
A new series of renders of the LCD-based 2018 iPhone has popped up based on what the rumor mill is expecting from the new device.

Apple's less-expensive flagship has been rumored for some time. A series of images published on Friday show what the device might look like, assuming Apple retains existing design cues.

The report from OnLeaks and MySmartPrice claims that the stainless steel band in the iPhone X will be replaced with an aluminum one in the lower end model. Also, the LCD model is expected to have a single-lens camera to help keep costs down.

The report calls the images "leaks" -- but they are nothing of the sort, and calling them "exclusive" is a bit of a stretch. Ming-Chi Kuo predicted this look earlier in 2018.

Friday's images are a series of theories and rumors compiled into what the phone may look like. There is nothing else in the report claiming anything new about the model.

Ming-Chi Kuo's 2018 iPhone lineup predictions
Ming-Chi Kuo's 2018 iPhone lineup predictions

MySmartPrice has no track record in predicting Apple's future product plans. OnLeaks has a much better reputation, but isn't always correct this far out from a product release.

Apple's next-generation iPhone lineup is rumored to include two OLED versions -- 5.8 and 6.5 inches -- and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD variant.

A wide variety of Android device manufacturers debuted phones with a notch to hold sensors at the 2018 Mobile World Congress, with the brand new Xiaomi Mi 8 a particularly egregious example.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

The iPhone 8 does look a bit dated compared to the X with the large chin and brow. Although, the Red version looks striking.

I was surprised by the weight of the X compared to the SE. 

Apple does have a tendency to have its design elements (and features) trickle down to the less expensive models in the product line. I remember, back in the day, you could only get the backlit keyboard in the MBP's now I have it on my MacBook. I would be surprised if Face ID is not in every iOS devise sooner rather than later. 

Anyway,

Best
    wlymaylkcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    This product line doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Having a 3 sizes so close together makes it hard to differentiate between iPhones. I'd be interested on a SE size full screen device, I miss the compact one-hand-use form factor.
    edited June 2018 aylknetroxdesignrcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I’m still curious how this would be a better deal than a used/refurbished iPhone X? Also if this phone doesn’t support 3D Touch than Apple has really lost the plot. Especially if it’s left out just so they can save a few bucks on the BOM.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    These are hideous. Apple will not release these.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nunzy said:
    These are hideous. Apple will not release these.
    ??? They look like an iPhone 8 except without the bezels.
    nunzyaylkcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wait? These are LEAKED renderings by some anonymous bullshit artists, based on what they dream about? How can rumored renderings made by some guy in his basement be leaked to the press? Let me know when some actual “leaked” Apple documents show up, please. The people that come up with this stuff should be paying Apple 30% of the income they get from YouTube and their site advertisers. They are getting paid by attaching themselves to Apple’s scrotum like the suckerfish they are.
    edited June 2018 albegarc
  • Reply 7 of 9

gutengel said:
    This product line doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Having a 3 sizes so close together makes it hard to differentiate between iPhones. I'd interested on a SE size full screen device, I miss the compact one-hand-use form factor.
    I wish Apple would make one phone in 3 sizes with identical specs (other than battery size of course). The only thing consumers would have to think about is what size they want. Get rid of the complexity and simplify the buying process.
    aylkalbegarc
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    Wait? These are LEAKED renderings by some anonymous bullshit artists, based on what they dream about? How can rumored renderings made by some guy in his basement be leaked to the press? Let me know when some actual “leaked” Apple documents show up, please. The people that come up with this stuff should be paying Apple 30% of the income they get from YouTube and their site advertisers. They are getting paid by attaching themselves to Apple’s scrotum like the suckerfish they are.
    Looks like an iPhone 8 without bezels/home button. Doesn’t seem to have taken much imagination.
    albegarc
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    gutengel said:
    This product line doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Having a 3 sizes so close together makes it hard to differentiate between iPhones. I'd interested on a SE size full screen device, I miss the compact one-hand-use form factor.

Agreed. We need a "mini" version with a 4.7" display in a body size not much larger than the SE.

They were able to make the iPhone X "bezel free" ...  because the flexible OLED display curved underneath at the bottom where the connector is located. I wasn't aware that there were flexible TFT-LCD panels to make that 3rd iPhone possible?
    designr