macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 with Messages in iCloud support is now available

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2018
Apple has updated macOS High Sierra to version 10.13.5, just a few days ahead of expected announcements for the future of the operating system at WWDC, with the latest release effectively consisting of support for Messages in iCloud and performance updates.

Craig Federighi macOS High Sierra

The public release version of macOS 10.13.5 follows after a total of five beta builds, equalling the number for watchOS 4.3.1 and tvOS 11.4, but fewer than the six required for iOS 11.4. The other three operating systems also received their own updates earlier in the week.

The main noticeable change in macOS shown in the betas was the addition of support for Messages in iCloud, a feature also shared with iOS 11.4. Messages in iCloud allows for conversations to be synchronized between multiple Apple devices logged into the same account.

Messages deleted from one logged-in device are removed from all other devices at the same time. Also, only the newest messages will be stored on devices, while earlier communications will be held in iCloud and loaded only when required.

Announced at WWDC 2017 for inclusion in iOS 11, Messages in iCloud has surfaced in betas for earlier versions of iOS, but was removed prior to the public release of those, and only fully implemented in iOS 11.4 on Tuesday.

The High Sierra update also includes a collection of bug fixes and performance improvements.

It seems the 10.13.5 update is relatively light in stand-out features compared to the macOS 10.13.4 release, which included Business Chat in Messages and improved support for external graphics cards.

This year's WWDC keynote, taking place on June 4, is expected to reveal Apple's future plans for its assorted operating systems, including macOS. It is plausible that Apple may be holding off on adding anything major to macOS until the next milestone release.

Apple launched the beta tests of macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 the same day that it released iOS 11.4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 121member
    Messages in iCloud will just use up your iCloud storage. I imagine there will be a lot of confused parents and grandparents calling for help. 
    williamlondontallest skilivanh
  • Reply 2 of 23
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Messages in iCloud will just use up your iCloud storage. I imagine there will be a lot of confused parents and grandparents calling for help. 
    I totally disagree, it will make things much more coherent. 
    williamlondonbrertechmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    jbishop1039jbishop1039 Posts: 257member
    Dead_Pool said:
    It's also optional and has to be enabled under Preferences in Messages. So yes, it'll use your iCloud storage, but only if you allow it to.
    redgeminipajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Does this mean we will be able to Message using our Macs?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I totally disagree, it will make things much more coherent. 
    iCloud already doesn’t reliably sync my Safari logins; I can’t imagine it maintaining iMessage very well. Before this update it already listed some comments out of chronological order at times. And yeah, I got a storage space warning after turning it on, so I turned it off again.

There’s also a bug in Safari introduced in 10.13.4 and iOS 11.3 regarding cross-origin restrictions that wasn’t fixed in 11.4, so I doubt it’s fixed in 10.13.5, too.
    You’ve been able to do that for nearly a decade.
    edited June 2018 magman1979Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    What do you mean? You've been able to message (SMS Text and iMessage) out from your Mac since at least 2007'ish. 
    magman1979Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Dead_Pool said:
    I guess that depends. Maybe Apple will start offering more iCloud storage as well (both Free and paid). 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So no APFS for Fusion drives I guess? Will we have to wait for macOS 10.14.x instead even though it was promised in 10.13.x? But I would rather wait for a stable, bulletproof release than have it nuke my Fusion boot drive.
    dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Rikky86Rikky86 Posts: 1member
    Seems more payload related;

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208723

Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 23
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    macxpress said:

Dead_Pool said:
    I guess that depends. Maybe Apple will start offering more iCloud storage as well (both Free and paid). 
    Maybe (and I'd love more of course), but if someone is going to hit a storage limit from too many text messages, they were already touching the storage ceiling.
    Alex1Njdwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Finally a macOS update that didn't pop up that annoying setup wizard when it was done! Just use the new equivalent of what the old settings were, same as iOS please.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I'm a little confused! i got an update yesterday but it says Version10.13.6 Beta (17G31f) ( i am a public beta tester) 
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Can we assume the following... People who had iMessages in an iPad and iPhone had these backed up twice on iCloud. Now, thanks to iMessages in iCloud, those will potentially get back the half wasted space now that the messages will be stored in a single cloud repository instead of two cloud backups? I understand that it will be the case, anyone else's guess?
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    ascii said:
    Finally a macOS update that didn't pop up that annoying setup wizard when it was done! Just use the new equivalent of what the old settings were, same as iOS please.
    Mine did.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I won't enable this feature since I want to keep some sms iMessages on my iPhone but not one my other devices. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I'm a little confused! i got an update yesterday but it says Version10.13.6 Beta (17G31f) ( i am a public beta tester) 
    The 10.13.6 beta rolled out the same day that the other betas rolled out, and before this one was finalized.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:
    Mine did.
    Wow, now I'm worried mine didn't install properly.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    If you want public release, you have to de-enroll your Mac from the beta program, then restore it... That's a big reason I stopped beta testing, as I don't have spare devices to just tinker with. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    ascii said:
    Wow, now I'm worried mine didn't install properly.
    It wasn’t a full “you must log into your iCloud account again” setup, but I got the setup window. I’m sure you’re fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    You can use Messages on a Mac already. You don’t need iCloud.
    watto_cobra