Broad leak of Apple's 2018 iPhone design schematics producing realistic renderings

Posted:
in iPhone
Leaked schematics are said to show some of the details of this year's expected 6.1-inch iPhone, as well as the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus."

The supposed 6.1-inch iPhone.
The supposed 6.1-inch iPhone.

Both appear very similar to the 5.8-inch iPhone X and each other. Indeed the only obvious difference between the new iPhones, seen in images from Russian-langauge site Wylsa, is the use of a single-lens camera on the 6.1-inch model and a dual-lens camera on the bigger device.

The 6.5-inch iPhone.
The 6.5-inch iPhone.

The site also shared a number of conceptual renders, working off of the assumption that Apple will carry over the iPhone X design as well as its glass back.

Conceptual renders of this year's 5.8-, 6.1-, and 6.5-inch models.
Conceptual renders of this year's 5.8-, 6.1-, and 6.5-inch models.

Apple is typically believed to be preparing three iPhones for launch this fall: 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED models, and a cheaper 6.1-inch LCD product.

The use of a single-lens camera would support the idea of the latter being a "budget" model. An earlier report suggested that the phone will also use an aluminum band instead of stainless steel, much in the same way Apple differentiates Apple Watch models.

The source and credibility of the schematics is questionable, particularly since Wylsa doesn't have an established track record. At the same time though schematic leaks are a common occurence before iPhone launches, usually from workers within assembly partners like Foxconn or chassis makers like Catcher.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    Not a schematic. Pictorial drawing.
    chasmmike1Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Ok - it looks like the iPhone X. Is that a surprise? Apple has historically kept the same physical form factor for 2 iterations while making ‘under the hood’ improvements. this is exactly what I would have expected the iPhone Xs to look like. 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    saldog said:
    Illustration.
    cornchipAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 16
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Whatever it looks like, I’ll be buying it.  I’ve yet to get burned by Apple.
    cornchipStrangeDaysSpamSandwichJFC_PA
  • Reply 5 of 16
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    That thing would look like a dinner plate if you held it up to your head. 6.5 inches? No thanks.
    aylk
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nunzy said:
    That thing would look like a dinner plate if you held it up to your head. 6.5 inches? No thanks.
    Same size as a 7/8 Plus overall, so not much difference there. Unless you’re not a fan of the Plus models, then fair enough. 
    nunzy
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    nunzy said:
    Don’t worry there will a full line of cases available to it make even bigger and more ridiculous. Probably puppy  or cat shaped. 
    edited June 2018 nunzyaylk
  • Reply 8 of 16
    MindRightMindRight Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    There is really nothing surprising to see here. I do agree with the other comments regarding the "scematics". These are just pictures with no solid proof to back it up. Anybody could post this stuff and the media would claim it as fact.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    "The surprise is what's inside!"
  • Reply 10 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    saldog said:
    Those illustrations there are not realistic depictions of the device, but a schematic illustration including only information relevant to the purpose (in this case, dimensions for case makers), and nothing more. 

That is the definition of a "schematic". 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Seriously how hard is it to comes up of new iPhone rendering? All the latest iPhone looks extremely similar, except iPhone X.

• Reply 12 of 16
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    spheric said:
    saldog said:
    Those illustrations there are not realistic depictions of the device, but a schematic illustration including only information relevant to the purpose (in this case, dimensions for case makers), and nothing more. 

That is the definition of a "schematic". 
    Assuming it’s for case makers then it’s an ICD (interface control drawing) with an OML (outer mold line).  So there!  😁
    gilly017[Deleted User]
  • Reply 13 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    nunzy said:
    Dude, for real? Does current 8 Plus look like dinner plate to you? 
    This 6.5” iPhone is 0.7mm narrower and 0.9mm shorter than 8+. Come on, man.
    edited June 2018 nunzyshark5150
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gilly017gilly017 Posts: 83member
    6.1 inch with single lens camera is upgrade to iPhone 8 with FaceID I guess. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    roake said:
    I’ve yet to get burned by Apple.

I like the quote.
    edited June 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I just hope this doesn't mean the current X becomes the smallest iPhone on offer. :(