Apple has new dark mode, Apple News app planned for macOS 10.14 [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited February 2020
Apple itself has leaked a first look at macOS 10.14 ahead of WWDC, including a redesigned Xcode, an Apple News app, and new Mac App Store video previews.

Developer Steve Troughton Smith shared the find on Twitter today which gives us a few clues at some things we can expect from Apple's forthcoming update.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Xcode 10 on macOS 10.14. Dark Appearance, Apple News, App Store w/ video previews pic.twitter.com/rJlDy81W4W

-- Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith)

Most obvious is a new dark mode theme to Xcode, possibly hinting at a more universal "dark mode" on the Mac. At the moment, neither iOS or macOS has a "real" dark mode. On the Mac, the menu bar can be changed from a light to dark appearance, and on iOS, an accessibility feature known as Smart Invert is able to somewhat mimic the intent.

The whole UI is dark, with white text and iconography. The toolbar along the bottom also has a new, darker tint, possibly semi-opaque letting the background image show through. There is also a newly designed black trash can icon, though most of the others look unchanged.

Also shown is what appears to be one of the new default system wallpapers, showing sand dunes under a starry night sky. One of the possible names that has been suggested for macOS 10.14 has been Mojave, and this could be a sign that this is where Apple will go following High Sierra.

Also of note, below the newly designed Xcode, we see an icon we haven't seen on the Mac: News. That the News app is making its way to the Mac is no surprise as the platform seems to be doing quite well on iOS. It was always a clear disadvantage for users when an Apple News story was unavailable on a Mac. News stories get shared on Twitter and through messages, but could only be opened on iOS.

As often is the case, the leak came from Apple itself. A short 30-second preview video was uploaded to the Xcode Mac App Store page API. Notably, videos are currently not supported on the Mac App Store, which could be another sign that it will receive a similar redesign to that on iOS as has been rumored. Video previews are currently available on Apple's mobile platform, and the redesign has been credited with a significant increase in App Store revenues.

As expected, the video has been pulled from Apple's public-facing servers.

We will see for certain what else will be coming with macOS 10.14 Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific during Apple's kickoff keynote. AppleInsider has published a guide on what else you can expect to see and will be on scene in San Jose bringing you live coverage of the event.

Stay abreast of Apple's announcements by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos from the event.

Can't watch Apple's livestream of the keynote? AppleInsider has you covered with a live blog covering all the announcements.

Update: The video has since been pulled from Apple's servers.
Alex1N

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I guess that app of his won’t be getting accepted any time soon.
    coolfactorTripleTroubleSpamSandwichjony0Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 62
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    bloggerblogcaladaniandysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Why do they keep teasing us with these dark mode apps and "almost usable" dark modes like Smart Invert on iOS? I use dark mode on every macOS (and iOS) app that offers a dark mode, e.g., Atom, GitKraken, IA Writer, SimpleNote, Visual Studio Code, etc. Why can't we have a no-compromise end-to-end dark mode UI as an option on both macOS and iOS? I've always found dark mode to be much easier on the eyes for indoor use and with proper room lighting, and especially for large applications with dense displays like developer tools that you're parked in front of for hours. For outdoor use the ambient light sensor could (optionally) flip everything over to light mode since dark modes don't deal well with reflections. This should not be a difficult problem for Apple to solve in its operating systems.
    Alex1Ntoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I would love dark mode. I've been waiting for dark mode since the inception of macOS. 

I also hope Apple adds in HomeKit as well. Boggles my mind why this isn't available on macOS. 
    DavidAlGregoryAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    How did he obtain this and why is he leaking it? Jerk.
    canukstormTripleTroublepatchythepirateStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 62
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    We want dark mode in iOS though.
    Alex1Ndysamoriatoysandme
  • Reply 7 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tundraboy said:
    Does dark mode mean that MacBooks will soon be sporting OLED or microLED screens?
    Maybe not soon, but it certainly paves the way for LED-based displays. There's no net loss for setting it up for LCDs at this time. I'd expect the iPads would be next due to size, although pixel density may be a factor. I also wouldn't be surprised if microLED comes to the Watch, at least to the upper-tiers (the way that the Sport has a plastic back and GG front, and the others have a ceramic back and sapphire crystal front) but that might be more wishful thinking that an unbiased assessment of how the technology may present itself.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 62
    macxpress said:
    I also hope Apple adds in HomeKit as well. Boggles my mind why this isn't available on macOS. 
    Yes. Someone should tell Tim Cook & Company to port Healthkit and Homekit to Mac OS. A desktop Mac would make a far better Homekit server/hub than the Apple TV, and many of us are not mobile first by preference.

As to dark mode, maybe Tim has been looking at Windows X.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 62
    macxpress said:
    Yes. Someone should tell Tim Cook & Company to port Healthkit and Homekit to Mac OS. A desktop Mac would make a far better Homekit server/hub than the Apple TV, and many of us are not mobile first by preference.

As to dark mode, maybe Tim has been looking at Windows X.
    I'd love that. Even if just a web portal on iCloud via Safari.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    How did he obtain this and why is he leaking it? Jerk.
    You must be really fun at parties...
    slprescotttoysandmeasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 62
    I’m gonna go ahead and confirm (or, you know, whatever) that 10.14 is called Mojave. Look at the desktop image. Dunes and rock formations. How much do you want to bet that it’s a nighttime shot of the Mojave Desert (expressly chosen to highlight dark mode)?
    Alex1Ntoysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 62
    I’m gonna go ahead and confirm (or, you know, whatever) that 10.14 is called Mojave. Look at the desktop image. Dunes and rock formations. How much do you want to bet that it’s a nighttime shot of the Mojave Desert (expressly chosen to highlight dark mode)?
    Unless someone can find evidence that this image has been available as a wallpaper for sometime or that the person’s whose system it is specifically choose that image, I think you have a solid hypothesis.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 13 of 62
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    ..There's no net loss for setting it up for LCDs at this time.
    Except for battery life.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    I thought black was off on LCD because black is an absence of light or am I thinking of OLED?

News would be good only if it is available here in NZ. It’s still not available here in NZ on iOS so I’m not holding any hope.

Would love Dark Mode the bright is too hard on my eyes. I’ve turned YouTube and Twitter dark modes on because they’re available.

Homekit at the moment isn’t too big a thing for me although I am keen on getting something for my workshop to turn the light on because the switch is on the opposite end of the room.

I would love Health though. Just easier entering data in with mouse and keyboard sometimes.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 62
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    I just don’t get the hype about dark mode UI.
    Still I did read Apple to release dark mode news and thought well that’s fitting of the times. 
  • Reply 16 of 62
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I reallly don’t understand why people use news apps.  You are letting someone else curate and decide what information you get.  The road to serfdom indeed.
    tallest skildysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 62
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    When will the apple insider get a dark mode, finally? ;)
    dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    mattinoz said:
    I just don’t get the hype about dark mode UI.
    Still I did read Apple to release dark mode news and thought well that’s fitting of the times. 
    It’s not hype, just a preference that many people, including me, would like to see implemented. 
    I also want MacOS to give me Window Shade back, but I’m not holding my breath. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 62
    entropys said:
    I reallly don’t understand why people use news apps.  You are letting someone else curate and decide what information you get.  The road to serfdom indeed.
    It’s damn impossible to find actual news on the Internet as-is. Even if you ignore that all the search engines and aggregates artificially block content that goes against their singular ideological campaign, you have to deal with all (six of) the news corporations themselves, which all report on the same stories, ignore the same stories, and expressly tell you, well… WHAT to think.
    Alex1Nirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 62
    Soli said:
    tundraboy said:
    Except for battery life.
    Can you explain that?
    dysamoriatoysandme