Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The notch is merely a cutout in the screen to minimise bezels.
    Ah yes, it's completely organic that the knockoffs reached this point in their product design immediately after Apple's controversial decision, and that their entire casings, trim, icons, notch shapes, wallpaper, and even product photography are designed to ape the X. 

There's no way this is just a shameless ripoff by another chinese knockoff, right?

As I said very clearly. A notch is a notch is a notch.  If we are talking about that, notches, Apple wasn't first and saying (as some do) that there were rumours about the Apple notch and that Essential and Sharp quickly took those rumours and brought products to market first, is simply laughable.

Another thing is if someone makes a clone of the whole thing.

I don't recall anyone saying X was the first to release a device with a protrusion into the screen, but their protrusion, shaped and defined as a "notch" is unique even from Essential. And further, the post-X clones are shameless ripoffs in every way they can achieve. 

Can you say it, perhaps just one time: "These are ripoffs of the X". Try it.
    If one were to do one of those before and after the iPhone images, I think it's just Essential Phone with the round camera cutout, then the iPhone X in the middle, and then all the devices that came after it with an iPhone X-esque notch.
    Yes, I think that's a pretty decent stab at describing the situation. Depending on what you plan on putting in the notch it's going to get wider or deeper and most will have similarities to a degree. That is virtually a given. It is somewhat ironic that (just like in fashion) the popularity of full screen phones (and the necessary notches) from a host of manufacturers (not just Apple) has helped to sway public opinion into accepting them as something normal or even desirable (as fashion statements, at least). So the more notched/full screen phones there are in the public eye, the more intense the desire to have own for those looking for a new phone.

Unfortunately, the entire Apple lineup right now, with the exception of the iPhone X, is looking (again, from a purely design perspective) decidedly old fashioned, something that is worsened by the fact that the entire 6,7 and 8 series all have the same basic design.

The word that you want to use is "iconic", which roughly translates to "exceedingly profitable", because fashion is every so fleeting once it hits the bargain tables.
    Iconic definitely isn't the word and fashion (however fleeting) is one of the things that makes the world go round.
    spheric
  • Reply 62 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    avon b7 said:
    Android P simply accommodates the cutout which appeared on Android phones first.
    No it didn't. Android P wasn't even announced until March of this year. That's along after the iPhone X was on the market.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 111
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Android P simply accommodates the cutout which appeared on Android phones first.
    No it didn't. Android P wasn't even announced until March of this year. That's along after the iPhone X was on the market.

I'm not talking about the iPhone X, simply replying to the point about Android P in another post.

Android P provides official support for the cutout. 

The iPhone X and its particular notch is irrelevant in my reply.

Before Android P, some handsetmakers with notches were implementing (and still are of course) their own modifications on their UIs.

Sometimes, features from a handset maker are integrated into the core Android release at a later date.

I believe Huawei's fingerprint scanner gestures are one such example.
    spheric
  • Reply 64 of 111
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    avon b7 said:
    It is not just "merely" a cutout, because it can be done in a multitude of ways, while, clearly in this case, it was done in the exact same way the other company did it...
     we know which company product was used to produce this...eh...copy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 111

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    but ... but ... when the 'notch' first appeared all the Apple haters mocked it!
    Stages of Apple Hatred:

Stage 1: What a dumb move by Apple.

Stage 2: Apple wasn't the first to offer this.

Stage 3: Everyone is doing it because it was the obvious move all along.
    yep. Rinse repeat.
    Ohh...and how they were laughing at Apple for uttering the word "courage" regarding the removal of one of the most ubiquitous connectors...
    And now, they are not only not laughing anymore, instead, just pretending that that never happened at all...and removal of the jack was just a "an obvious progression of the evolution of the design language". Sorry, the exact phrasing Sammy used escapes me...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 111

Soli said:
    1) While I don't think the notch is protectable
    You can protect/patent a notch, if you wish to do so. But, I think, Apple patents the whole visual design of a device, along with million of other things that device consists of.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 111
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,545member
    avon b7 said:
    claire1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Ah yes, it's completely organic that the knockoffs reached this point in their product design immediately after Apple's controversial decision, and that their entire casings, trim, icons, notch shapes, wallpaper, and even product photography are designed to ape the X. 

There's no way this is just a shameless ripoff by another chinese knockoff, right?

As I said very clearly. A notch is a notch is a notch.  If we are talking about that, notches, Apple wasn't first and saying (as some do) that there were rumours about the Apple notch and that Essential and Sharp quickly took those rumours and brought products to market first, is simply laughable.

You must be new to Apple, whole product categories have sprung up over Apple rumors and patents. It's pathetic.

And if you think Apple copied the notch for the sake of copying, you're new to Apple.

Apple is ONE company battling against 1,300 companies and over 3,000 knockoff iPhones a year. Everything Apple does, androids can pull any of the 3,000 losing knockoffs up and say "look! we did it first!!!! Apple copied this random company from Thailand!!!!" because they have a near infinite pool of knockoffs to pull from.
    I am not saying Apple copied anything.

I am saying that some people are trying to imply that other manufacturers saw rumours about an Apple notch and decided to implement it before Apple. When you reach that level of thinking, it is absurd.

And yet, exactly that has happened multiple times over the past decade. 

My google-fu is letting me down, though. Maybe somebody can fill in the details. 

Also, kudos for (in that other post) arguing against the idea of direct rip-offs while replying to a post that included product photography that was copied right down to the colour scheme on the display of the front-facing phone...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 111
    spheric said:
    avon b7 said:
    claire1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

You must be new to Apple, whole product categories have sprung up over Apple rumors and patents. It's pathetic.

And if you think Apple copied the notch for the sake of copying, you're new to Apple.

Apple is ONE company battling against 1,300 companies and over 3,000 knockoff iPhones a year. Everything Apple does, androids can pull any of the 3,000 losing knockoffs up and say "look! we did it first!!!! Apple copied this random company from Thailand!!!!" because they have a near infinite pool of knockoffs to pull from.
    I am not saying Apple copied anything.

I am saying that some people are trying to imply that other manufacturers saw rumours about an Apple notch and decided to implement it before Apple. When you reach that level of thinking, it is absurd.

And yet, exactly that has happened multiple times over the past decade. 

My google-fu is letting me down, though. Maybe somebody can fill in the details. 

Also, kudos for (in that other post) arguing against the idea of direct rip-offs while replying to a post that included product photography that was copied right down to the colour scheme on the display of the front-facing phone...
    And that 'forgot' to include the rear placed fingerprint sensor and chin. 
  • Reply 69 of 111
    Toughgamer Toughgamer Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    I've use iphones since day one (2007) and I myself an iOS developer until a few weeks ago when I switched to Xiaomi mix 2s. Mi 8 looks hideous, I don't know why they don't make mix series the default template for their flagship phones cos boy mix 2s is beautiful with full non-notched screen. I really really hate the notch. Why do they have to copy such an ugly design? Btw I still would only use iPads, Android is crap when it comes to tablets.
  • Reply 70 of 111
     mix 2s
  • Reply 71 of 111
    I've use iphones since day one (2007) and I myself an iOS developer until a few weeks ago when I switched to Xiaomi mix 2s. Mi 8 looks hideous, I don't know why they don't make mix series the default template for their flagship phones cos boy mix 2s is beautiful with full non-notched screen. I really really hate the notch. Why do they have to copy such an ugly design? Btw I still would only use iPads, Android is crap when it comes to tablets.
    That's the epitome of form over function. There's a reason why front-facing cameras are at the top of the display, not at the bottom.

PS: Calling BS on you owning an iPhone since "day one." I have serious doubts you've ever owned an iPhone.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 111
     mix 2s
    It's a gorgeous phone.

A few weeks ago I walked into a local store to check out the designs on the latest phones (iPhones included) and putting to one side the specs for a moment to appreciate the design and build quality.

I was mightily impressed.

Of course, the Samsungs (especially the Plus versions), P20 Pro and Mate 10 stood out as exceptional but I had the opportunity to play with some Meizus, Xiaomis etc. I would have been happy with many of them from a design point of view but if I had to pick one brand that surprised me more than any other, it was the latest LGs. Really, really nice handsets. Far better than I expected.

The Mix 2s is going to get a clone it would seem this week (5th June) in the Lenovo Z5 which is supposedly going to bring some new tech to market and then perhaps on the 6th, even more rumours abound on something weird coming from Huawei.

Now, with Huawei marketing you have to take things with a large grain of salt but it might worth checking the news just in case:

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/05/23/huaweis-revolutionary-tech-to-arrive-in-june-with-an-honor-phone/

If that actually turns out to be newsworthy, then all eyes will be on Apple for a possible SE at WWDC and the fall refresh.

• Reply 74 of 111
    That's even more suspect.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Sorry guys but I just had to post these many photos to call out to the bullshit caller - “You never owned an iphone in your life”.

I use my hard owned cash (I am an IOS developer, application development manager and a cofounder of a small Australian startup) to pay for the toys I like. I owned from iphone 3gs (cos that was the first one released in here downunder), 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6s, 7+, 8+, then I sold my 8+ and bought a mix 2s, I just got put off by the notch too much.

Oh and I own 3 macs, 2 macbooks (well the company paid the bill), 2 iPad pros and every single fucking iPad there was (I love them!) I gave my previous 9.7 iPad pro to my 8 year old so he could play angry birds, and I keep my own for doodling and occasionally some javascript programming.

I’m really amazed by some people’s pure ignorance...
    sphericavon b7
  • Reply 76 of 111
    Oh the the above comment was made on iPad Pro, it’s just easier to type with the real keyboard. Sorry I didn’t use my mi mix2s. BTW, for taking selfies (I’m not a teenage girl) you can just turn the phone upside down, and the camera on the chin will be now at the top.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Oh and sorry that I posted photos of other toys too, yeah I own every single game console there was, and I built my man cave (for my kid too) with a 160inch projector screen, 5.1 speakers setup and I’m thinking about upgrading to 4k projector but pending wife’s approval.

AND - I hate the NOTCH! this is the sole reason why I switched to xiaomi, so far I found only one thing annoying which I never knew: it only shoots 8 minutes 4k video due to size limit, damn it. So I’m using iPad more nowadays...

And to the haters and apple protectors - I use whatever I feel like, I really don’t care what company made the phone. I just love shiny things - but when it comes to developing mobile apps, I’m a die hard apple fan - android is just stupidly slow, hard to setup and the emulator is crap. Xcode is the best.
    avon b7
  • Reply 78 of 111
    BTW, for taking selfies (I’m not a teenage girl) you can just turn the phone upside down, and the camera on the chin will be now at the top.
    Sure, you can turn it upside down or you may not use it at all, regardless of whether you're a teenage girl or not, but that's the point about it being form over function. The bottom of the screen is a bad place for a camera. AI even reviewed a Dell laptop that had a very attractive, thin bezeled display, but with the camera looking up at your nostrils.

PS: You still haven't disproven my claim about your suspicious "day one" comment is incorrect, but note that I'm in no way asking you to.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 111
    Soli said:
    BTW, for taking selfies (I’m not a teenage girl) you can just turn the phone upside down, and the camera on the chin will be now at the top.
    You can turn it upside down or you may not use it at all, regardless of whether you're a teenage girl or not (bias, much?), but it still doesn't mean it's not form over function. The bottom of the screen is a bad place for a camera. AI even reviewed a Dell laptop that had a very attractive, thin bezeled display, but with the camera looking up at your nostrils.

PS: You still haven't disproven my claim about your suspicious "day one" comment is incorrect.
    Day One in Australia not US 😛
    spheric