Messages in iCloud: Everything you need to know

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    ...does it make any sense that Apple locks in proprietary hardware storage with the most expensive (arguably fastest) possible proprietary SSD to of course max out margins, yet also to 'encourage' everyone to use iCloud, both from growing a recurring revenue base and of course the enigmatic privacy and customer profiling perspectives...?
    Are you saying Apple is trying to bleed customers by using NAND but also bleeding customers by offering iCloud storage as an option that would reduce SSD use and thereby allow customers to get smaller storage capacities in future devices? If so, how does that work?
    Yeah, I wasn't sure either. I guess they are trying to give the option and make money either way. I'd expect them to do that, though.
    I used to complain (you guys were probably really sick of me) about this with all of Apple's 8GB devices, but I think they've mostly fixed that now. The base-level storage on their products seems reasonable now.
    ... the lack of flexibility and choice means only top dollar from the Apple store, and as I posted yesterday one can now get a 2TB 'decent' SSD for about ~$300 (storage for 'the rest of us'?) yet the only choice from Apple in some models costs 5x that, admittedly much faster, yet locked in...  Works for some.  Could one contemplate an all-SSD fusion drive with the lesser expense of 2TB behind a faster 'operating' SSD ? The dual bay SATA III mini server or old pro towers come to mind, but not sure anything now could flex to that...

Workflows obviously vary, and some may really benefit from the fastest storage, and others may want 'fast enough' trading speed for higher capacity. There are also the hybrid drives as well.  Is the argument of uploading data to save space conveniently reinforced by keeping the cost of access to onboard storage inflexible & extremely high?  Does that serve the customer, or simply boil a few more frogs...?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 42 of 55
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    bobolicious said:
    ... the lack of flexibility and choice means only top dollar from the Apple store, and as I posted yesterday one can now get a 2TB 'decent' SSD for about $300 (storage for 'the rest of us'?) yet the only choice from Apple in some models costs 5x that, admittedly much faster, yet locked in...  Works for some.  Could one contemplate an all-SSD fusion drive with the lesser expense of 2TB behind a faster system blade ? The dual bay SATA III mini server or old pro towers come to mind, but not sure anything now could flex to that...

Workflows obviously vary, and some may really benefit from the fastest storage, and others may want 'fast enough' trading speed for higher capacity. There are also the hybrid drives as well.  Is the argument of uploading data to save space conveniently reinforced by keeping the cost of access to onboard storage inflexible & extremely high?  Does that serve the customer, or simply boil a few more frogs...?
    Where can you get a 2TB for $300? (Heck, I'd like to find 1TB one for that to put in my PS4). :)

But, I think Apple has just gone more premium SSD tech for the main storage, as the advantages are pretty big to performance and user experience. But, yes, that comes at the cost of more fiddling with bigger stuff or libraries of stuff.

I don't think the Fusion Drive stuff was that great, but a friend likes the actual hybrid drives for some applications. It's nice to have no moving parts like that, though.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    cgWerks said:
    Where can you get a 2TB for $300? (Heck, I'd like to find 1TB one for that to put in my PS4). :)

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-003D-00074  as a review I found was quite positive, and I've pulled what seems micron ram from OEM macs...
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 44 of 55
    On my iPhone, I see the Messages toggle in iCloud, but it asks me to set up two-factor authentication to do it, and I've found that to be impossibly cumbersome in practice. I don't see anything about iCloud at all in my Messages app preferences on my iMac, but I do see an enable toggle for my AppleID. Perhaps that's the same thing.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    cgWerks said:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D9-003D-00074  as a review I found was quite positive, and I've pulled what seems micron ram from OEM macs...
    Yea, that's pretty good, though would cost $400+ in Canada. I was just surprised as I've not seen many 1TBs for that.

skepticus said:
    On my iPhone, I see the Messages toggle in iCloud, but it asks me to set up two-factor authentication to do it, and I've found that to be impossibly cumbersome in practice.
    Yea, as much as I value security, 2FA is just a bit too much most of the time. I had it enabled for some business stuff for a while, but then when thinking about succession practices, decided to turn it back off. Plus, about the time I'd be somewhere with just one device, that's when it would sign me out and need re-auth. I just use really strong passwords that are unique for each service, and change them from time to time.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Re: Apple’s macOS instructions:
    • Start by opening the Messages app.
    • From the menu bar, open Preferences.
    • Go the second tab, which is Accounts.
    • Tick the box next to Enable Messages in iCloud.
    Like some the option to “Enable...” was not visible.  After some fiddling I found Apple failed to add the first step:
    • Start by turning on iCloud Keychain.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 55
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Like some the option to “Enable...” was not visible.  After some fiddling I found Apple failed to add the first step:
    Best find that I've searched to get it to work.  A very big problem from me, I don't have an iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    skepticus said:
    On my iPhone, I see the Messages toggle in iCloud, but it asks me to set up two-factor authentication to do it, and I've found that to be impossibly cumbersome in practice. I don't see anything about iCloud at all in my Messages app preferences on my iMac, but I do see an enable toggle for my AppleID. Perhaps that's the same thing.
    I found the same thing. I hate two-factor authentication and refuse to use it. No Messages in the Cloud for me then.........
  • Reply 49 of 55
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    I can’t get the iCloud Keychain box to stay checked after updating. It asks for my password, knows that that’s correct (I tried entering it incorrectly, and that was not accepted), then reverts to unchecked. 
  • Reply 50 of 55
    I can turn this on in my iMac and iPad, but not my iPhone 8+. I get a pop up: messages in iCloud not available because iCloud and iMessage accounts are different. 

But they’re not different. 
  • Reply 51 of 55
    f1ferrari said:
    I can’t get the iCloud Keychain box to stay checked ...
    Another deal-breaker... I won't be using iCloud Keychain, ever.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    techridertechrider Posts: 102member
    cgWerks said:
    techrider said:
    1. Caveat - not for under 13 AppleIDs.  If you have a family member with an under 13 AppleID, at least in Canada, Messages in iCloud looks available but doesn't work because it requires 2 factor authentication which an under 13 AppleID doesn't support.

2. Consequences from my setup experience
    Thanks, good to know about the under 13 AppleID and 2FA. Those will be deal-breakers for me, I guess. Bummer.

re: 2 - Yea, going from non-synced to synced state on any system like this is going to be difficult... there isn't really any kind of 'it just works.'
    I stand corrected - turns out Messages for in iCloud can work on an under 13 AppleID, because 2 factor can be enabled - just not through the appleid.apple.com portal.  Instead you have to enable it from the iPhone or iPad in Settings > name > Password & Security.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    techrider said:
    I stand corrected - turns out Messages for in iCloud can work on an under 13 AppleID, because 2 factor can be enabled - just not through the appleid.apple.com portal.  Instead you have to enable it from the iPhone or iPad in Settings > name > Password & Security.
    Thanks for the correction. But, if it requires 2FA, I think it's still a no-go for me.
    I wonder why it needs that... or if it's just another way of trying to push it? Apple is getting trickier about this stuff, so one has to be careful when setting a device up or even doing updates, as Apple tries to get us to enable this stuff.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Yeah sms messages work for me too. I tried setting up my old iPhone as new and all messages both iMessages and green bubble sms messages all came back and when deleted on one device delete on another feature works well at lest so far