macOS Mojave brings Dark Mode, enhanced privacy, HomeKit, and more to the Mac

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2019
Apple has announced the next version of macOS at WWDC, with macOS 10.14 Mojave including a new dark mode, HomeKit, improvements to the Finder, and the ability to use a connected iPhone as a camera for the computer.

macOS Mojave

Presented at the 2018 WWDC conference, Apple's Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced the new version, and highlighted a few features of the macOS operating system, called "Mojave," due in the fall.

Apple's macOS 10.14 Mojave has a new Dark Mode that expands across all of MacOS Mojave including third-party apps. Federighi noted that it was a focus-enhancer for photography and design.

macOS dark mode

In conjunction with Dark Mode, Dynamic Desktop will change the user's UI over the course of the day.

Desktop

Desktop Stacks have been added, following on from stacks in the Dock, which will group all of the contents automatically by kind, date, or tag. The stacks unfurl with a single click across the desktop, and will retract after a document within the stack is opened.

Finder

The Finder has a new "Gallery View" to preview images, video, presentations, spreadsheets, PDFs, and anything else that macOS can handle. A sidebar in Mojave supports full metadata, including photo EXIF information.

Quick actions in the contextual sidebar the Gallery View allow for quick application of easy edits to photos. Multiple items selected can be combined into a PDF from the sidebar as well.

Automator actions can be assigned to a button in the sidebar.

Quick Look

Markup has been added to Quick Look. A new Markup button has been added, including the ability to drag a signature onto a document, to magnify areas, and all other standard Markup features.

Screenshots

The new Screenshots utility presents the user a thumbnail of the screen capture similar to how it works in iOS 11. It can be used for either still images or videos, with the thumbnail of the captured content able to be dropped in compatible apps immediately after taking the shot, by dragging the thumbnail and dropping.

Continuity Camera

While it's not clear at present how far the feature extends, the new Continuity feature will connect to an iPhone and use the smartphone's onboard cameras to capture an image, which is then transferred back to the Mac and able to be inserted into an existing document. For example, a photograph of the user's face could be added to a collage.

It can also be used with existing document scanning features of iOS to capture a document on a connected phone, which can then be passed to Photos on Mac.

Home and HomeKit

While Federighi didn't really address the inclusion much, following Sierra's release, HomeKit peripherals will be able to be added and managed on the Mac, with a similar appearance to how the feature appears in iOS.

macOS Home app

Siri controls will be implemented, allowing users to control their home automation from the Mac.

Mac App Store

Apple is refreshing the Mac App Store, bringing it in line with the interface of the iOS App Store. It will share Mojave's dark mode, and will have not only video previews, but a completely redesigned app page format. Ratings and reviews are "front and center" with a new API for Mac apps able to be implemented by developers to allow users to add their own reviews. .

CreateML

CreateML allows developers to generate vision and learning models inside Xcode Playgrounds. All of the training is accelerated by Metal, and will be further sped by external GPU technologies, also included in Mojave.

CoreML2 is used at the core of the technology, and is 30 percent faster on-device, with up to a 75 percent reduction in size of the resulting model.

iOS on macOS hardware sneak preview

Federighi explicitly said that Apple is not merging iOS and macOS, highlighting the differences between the hardware in the Mac and on the iPhone and iPad.

In a preview, Apple has moved over some key iOS frameworks like UIKit over to the Mac, which can allow for iOS apps to be usable within macOS.

Phase one of the effort is to "test it on ourselves," according to Federighi. The Mac version of News and Home revealed during the keynote were built in this method, with very few code changes claimed to have been made to get the apps running.

The frameworks are coming to developers in 2019, allowing for migrating iOS apps to the Mac at some point in the future.

Privacy and Security

To combat tracking of users by online advertisers, Safari is enhanced Intelligent Tracking Prevention to stop social media "Like" and "Share" buttons, as well as comment boxes, from providing extra tracking data to tech companies. Going one step further, Safari presents simplified system information to advertisers while browsing online, making it difficult to track the user based on their system configuration.

Safari also automatically creates, autofills, and stores strong passwords when users create new online accounts, flagging reused passwords so users have the option to update them to more secure versions.

More data protections added to the operating system will require apps to gain user permission before being able to access the Mac camera and microphone, or to access personal data such as a user's Mail history or their Messages database.

Other additions to Mojave

There are a series of other features coming to macOS, not the least of which is APFS on hard drives and all Fusion Drives, after having been removed during the High Sierra beta process.

Other additions include FaceTime multiple-user calls, font collections, improved hard drive performance, Voice Memos, OpenType-SVG fonts, and Automator shortcuts in Touch Bar.

macOS group FaceTime

Stay abreast of Apple's announcements by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos from the event.

Can't watch Apple's livestream of the keynote? AppleInsider has you covered with a live blog covering all the announcements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    IMO they just announced more features to Finder and the user-facing side of the OS than we've seen in the past five years put together. And that's only what they had time to announce.

Brilliant stuff, they've heard that Mac users feel neglected and are picking up the slack.

Some folks are going to whine, "all we want is greater stability." High Sierra instability was due to two really huge changes to the underpinnings of the OS: APFS and porting the GUI to Metal. That was a change that introduced a lot of glitches that are mostly behind us. I'm cautiously optimistic about stability.
    lostkiwiAlex1Njony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    HomeKit in macOS, woot.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Seems like even more of a dud than predicted. Ouch.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well look at that. 

They won’t be allowing customers to run iOS apps on MacOS. 

Who would’ve guessed?

🙄
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 47
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Yeah that’s nice.  What about those reliability issues?
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

HomeKit in macOS, woot.
    Yup, bit light on Marzipan I thought. Wanted to hear a bit more about that. Probably hunt down a session video. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I got crapped by everyone fantasizing about iOS and macOS merging. Stop fantasizing folks. Not going to happen and I'm personally thrilled at what a stupid idea it would have been.
    lkruppmacxpressclaire1Alex1Njony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well look at that. 

They won’t be allowing customers to run iOS apps on MacOS. 

Who would’ve guessed?

ߙ䦬t;/div>
    LOL. As Gruber and other devs predicted, it's not "iOS apps running on Mac!" but is the addition of a UIKit framework coming to macOS to make it easier to build a native-Mac app based on work done for an iOS app. This is exactly what we devs said in the comments here, but strangely AI kept running with the "iOS apps running on Mac!" line. It won't be an iOS app running in a window on your Mac, as they demo'd with their first internal conversion (News, Home, Voice Memos).
    edited June 2018 tmayfastasleepSpamSandwichAlex1Nwatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 9 of 47
    I got crapped by everyone fantasizing about iOS and macOS merging. Stop fantasizing folks. Not going to happen and I'm personally thrilled at what a stupid idea it would have been.
    "Are you merging iOS and macOS?"

Craig: "No. Of course not!"

....maybe now this silly rumor will die down.
    edited June 2018 tmayAlex1Njony0watto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 10 of 47
    EXMEXM Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Any news on Mac model compatibility? Same as High Sierra?

I didn't hear anything in the keynote nor can I find it online. 

Edit - just found this on the Apple web site 

"macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards."
    edited June 2018 lostkiwiAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Down here in Costa Rica, with the weather nice almost all the time, people frequently enjoy working outdoors.  I built a nice little outdoor office, with my MacBook Pro, 4K monitor and Philips Hue lights, to savor my awesome ocean view.  

But there is just one problem: Evil biting insects are attracted to the light created by all this stuff.  So around the end of daylight, it becomes downright miserable to work here in paradise.

I just wanted to thank Craig and friends for introducing Dark Mode, which should be ideal to make the insectos, as they call them down here, become less virulent.  I can't wait to try it and see the results!  My entire body will thank them :).

(I just thought it was kinda funny to announce a genuine need for a feature that might strike most of us as frivolous eye candy .... LOL.)
    Eric_WVGGfastasleeplostkiwiAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 47

Nope as Twitter users celebrating the first step of merging.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    LenardHLenardH Posts: 21member
    You will see IOS apps on the Mac in the future when Apple releases the UIkit and when developers decide to port an app to the MAC. 2019.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yay, downloading macOS Mojave 10.14 beta now!  Yes I backed up first :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47

iOS on macOS hardware sneak preview

Federighi explicitly said that Apple is not merging iOS and macOS, highlighting the differences between the hardware in the Mac and on the iPhone and iPad.

In a preview, Apple has moved over some key iOS frameworks like UIKit over to the Mac. Phase one of the effort is to "test it on ourselves," according to Federighi. the Mac version of News and Home were built in this method with very few changes.

The frameworks are coming to developers in 2019, allowing for migrating iOS apps to the Mac at some point in the future.
    Indeed, but I hope you're stop using that incorrect headline ("iOS on macOS") and the previous claims of "iOS apps running on Mac". Neither is true. It's a common UI framework on both platforms that will make creating a native-Mac app based on an iOS app, easier. It still won't be an iOS app on Mac other than that you wrote code for iOS first. The Mac version won't look like a windowed iOS app and will instead look, operate, and be like a Mac app.
    edited June 2018 fastasleepSoliAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    LenardH said:
    You will see IOS apps on the Mac in the future when Apple releases the UIkit and when developers decide to port an app to the MAC. 2019.
    ... at which point they’ll be macOS apps.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    EXM said:
    Any news on Mac model compatibility? Same as High Sierra?

I didn't hear anything in the keynote nor can I find it online. 
    They were big on compatibility during the iOS 10.14 stuff, then went quiet on the issue for watchOS and macOS.

Not surprisingly, not one mention about new hardware. 
  • Reply 18 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    DuhSesame said:

Nope as Twitter users celebrating the first step of merging.
    Now I know why the name is Twitter not Tweeter, those users are twits!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Eric_WVGG said:
    IMO they just announced more features to Finder and the user-facing side of the OS than we've seen in the past five years put together. And that's only what they had time to announce.

Brilliant stuff, they've heard that Mac users feel neglected and are picking up the slack.

Some folks are going to whine, "all we want is greater stability." High Sierra instability was due to two really huge changes to the underpinnings of the OS: APFS and porting the GUI to Metal. That was a change that introduced a lot of glitches that are mostly behind us. I'm cautiously optimistic about stability.
    and hardware issues.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Out on a limb here, but it seems to me that Mojave is focused more on features for pro users more than prior macOS releases. 
    Deadguy2322