Apple's iOS 12 introduces personalized 'Memoji' and camera effects

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Apple with iOS 12 will for the first time offer users the option to create personalized Animoji characters called Memoji, a feature that is set to arrive alongside new camera effects built into the Messages app.

Introducing MeMojis

In addition to the established Animoji, and a few new characters like a tiger, koala, t-rex and ghost, Apple will begin offering something new in iOS 12: Memoji.

As demonstrated during Apple's keynote at the World Wide Developer's Conference Monday by Apple's Kelsey Peterson, the new Memoji feature allows users to create an animated avatar of themselves.

The Memoji creation tool allows users to customize the Memoji with their skin color, hairstyle, freckles, glasses and many other features with an intuitive interface that integrates cards, color pickers, sliders and more.

Memoji creation

In addition to Memoji, iOS 12 offers a new a Snapchat-style system of filters. Users can even combine Anijomi and Memoji characters that overlay atop a user's head.

Stay abreast of Apple's announcements by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos from the event.

Can't watch Apple's livestream of the keynote? AppleInsider has you covered with a live blog covering all the announcements.

sarahtailor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Robb MitchellRobb Mitchell Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What a lame feature. What about Siri updates. Emoji's... WTH?
    sarahtailor
  • Reply 2 of 18
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Just like Samsung, or what?
    RobertoBobarezsarahtailor
  • Reply 3 of 18
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member

Well, while I want to sort of knock this and it is not very original as Nintendo seemingly has done this already where you get to make your own version of yourself...I forget what they call it (and it was not for texting).

I will say two things: 

1) Memoji is a pretty cool name.

2) This feature is for kids.  While as an adult I find it silly...the kids enjoy this sort of stuff. 

watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 4 of 18
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    Yea right this feature will be loved by the masses, you know regular people, who are not on sites like this. 
    cornchipsarahtailor
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    LukeCage said:
    Yea right this feature will be loved by the masses, you know regular people, who are not on sites like this. 
    Did they mention which devices get this feature? I’m assuming it’s just iPhone X?
    randominternetpersonsarahtailor
  • Reply 6 of 18
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    LukeCage said:
    Did they mention which devices get this feature? I’m assuming it’s just iPhone X?

The way it looked like, iPhone X and most likely the newer phones that will be release will be the only ones getting these features. The camera array on the iPhone X seem like the only way for these features to work. The other phones like the 8 and lower will probably get the group FaceTime update 
    watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 7 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Except, you know, there are millions of Bitmoji and Snapchat users out there that will be really happy with these features. I don’t care much about the workout stuff in watchOS, but I’m not going to waste my time going over to that thread to tell the world about it. 
    jony0watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 8 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    You didn't watch the keynote did you? YES, they updated Siri! They didn't spend 365 days on emoji's...
    cornchiprandominternetpersonwatto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 9 of 18
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    One way to view this WWDC is Apple getting serious in being a social dwelling place. Boosting hanging out in messages, upgrading News and Books, etc. And at the same time making tools to that likely will reduce Facebook and Instagram time. Ditto cutting out Oath/yahoo in stocks in favor of home stuff. Took a few ideas from Tencent playbook too. All good news for users developers and stockholders. 
    claire1watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 10 of 18
    kerpowkerpow Posts: 12member
    Vapid feature. 
    sarahtailor
  • Reply 11 of 18
    amarkap said:
    2) This feature is for kids.  While as an adult I find it silly...the kids enjoy this sort of stuff. 
    Kids, maybe. Middle-aged women, definitely. The only people I ever get Bitmojis from are women who seem too old to be using it. I think that demographic is gonna go nuts for Memoji. 
    watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 12 of 18
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Very disappointed how they didn't add instant MeMoji. I thought the lady was gonna say "It's easy to set up, just look at the screen and there you are".

Nintendo had a feature like this on the outdated 3DS and Wii U. With a one dimensional bad camera it would recognize your face and instantly create your Mii. Apple has hardware and software that is leaps and bounds more advanced!
    sarahtailor
  • Reply 13 of 18
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    kerpow said:
    Vapid feature. 
    There are a number of features on the iPhone which I don't have a use for.  That doesn't mean that those features are useless or unenjoyable for other people.  The thing about mass market devices with lots of features is that some of those features are ones you use and others are ones you don't.  
    fastasleepjony0watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Is this feature the reason Apple needs another campus?
    sarahtailor
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’m gonna use the hell out of this feature. Come on... get a sense of humor or fun! Life is too short.
    jony0watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I see some decent beards in there, so I'm happy. This is actually a brilliant feature that cuts to the intersection of technology and the humanities. This goes beyond the offerings of services like Nintendo's Mii by animating your actual facial reactions in real time.

For now this looks focused on videos. I'd also like to see this applied to still emoji. It would be so nice to be able to send images emoji faces that look exactly like you, rather than generic people or yellow balls.
    watto_cobrasarahtailor
  • Reply 17 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dunks said:
    I see some decent beards in there, so I'm happy. This is actually a brilliant feature that cuts to the intersection of technology and the humanities. This goes beyond the offerings of services like Nintendo's Mii by animating your actual facial reactions in real time.

For now this looks focused on videos. I'd also like to see this applied to still emoji. It would be so nice to be able to send images emoji faces that look exactly like you, rather than generic people or yellow balls.
    You can already use Animoji as still image stickers. Just make your face and tap and drag to wherever in the conversation.
    watto_cobrasarahtailor