Benchmarks hint at MacBook Pro with Intel's powerful six-core Core i7-8750H

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

dempson said:
     If it is using DDR4 it must be desktop memory, since the Core i7-8750H doesn't support LPDDR4. That suggests a new motherboard and structural changes to cope with more heat produced by the memory." 
    -No, u mean they would be using either regular voltage laptop RAM, or two soldered modules of 16GB of Low Powered DDR4. 
    It is not a heat issue, but space for the battery issue in the latter possibility and slightly more power draw.

LPDD4 is not supported by the current crop of i9 i7 processors. It would have to be regular DDR4, with all that entails.
    Oh, yeah I meant LPDDR3
    LPDDR3 is limited by spec to 16GB. Beyond that isn't addressable.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    32 gigs?  this will be my next macbook.  I've been waiting to replace my 2011 MBP.  I was getting tired of waiting on 32 gigs from apple.  I put 16 gigs into my MBP.  I hope this rumor is actually true.  Fingers crossed.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I wonder what Apple’s chip division could do if they decided to make their own x86 processors..
  • Reply 44 of 50
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    What if it's not an Intel chip?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    What if it's not an Intel chip?
    Maybe its the PPC G6! /s
  • Reply 46 of 50
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    palegolas said:
    I wonder what Apple’s chip division could do if they decided to make their own x86 processors..
    They could not do it directly, they would have to partner with a company that had a valid x86 license -- AMD.  To be quite honest though it does not make much sense to worry about x86 compatibility on a platform that they control.  To be quite honest there is so much baggage that you have to work around with x86 based code, that if you did not have to it would be better just to dump the x86 "compatibility layer" and implement in a cleaner architecture.  Apple would probably be better served by just sticking with the ARM instruction set and scaling up the performance (which reduces the thermal/power straightjacket a little) to be equivalent to the Macbook lineup.   (the Mac Pro/ iMac Pro would be more difficult to scale up to).
  • Reply 47 of 50
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No announcement at WWDC2018 for any MACs.This bothers me little. Now next big announcement is in September for iPhones,Watch,iPad,iPod,etc and upgraded MACs could be pushed out into 2019. What a bummer !!!!
    cgWerks
  • Reply 48 of 50
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    wood1208 said:
    No announcement at WWDC2018 for any MACs.This bothers me little. Now next big announcement is in September for iPhones,Watch,iPad,iPod,etc and upgraded MACs could be pushed out into 2019. What a bummer !!!!
    Or, they'll just quietly release them, who knows when.
    But, the problem is I need to buy something soon, and my son was already not wanting to wait until WWDC (which I encouraged him to do).
    So, it's looking like a 2013 Mac Pro for me (maybe my last Mac), and a flawed MBP for him (and pray we don't have to pay the $700 keyboard fix). Or, I need to do a serious evaluation to see if the whole family should just make the jump to Windows.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Technerd108Technerd108 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    They are simply testing thermals and computational power. There is no way that they will use coffee lake chips in their MacBook Pro's. They will wait for the 10nm chips to come out. Unless they know that Intel won't be releasing them any time soon. Their MacBook Pro's aluminum enclosure will not allow proper cooling for the hexacore chip. Apple certainly won't release a bigger size MacBook so I think they will wait for the newer process chips that will have better efficiency and more power per watt. Intel will most likely only release dual and quad core chips with the new 10nm process which will fit better into the MacBook Pro's and have better heat dissipation. That way they can keep the thin and light and not have as much of a throttling issue. Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 50 of 50
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cgWerks said:
    wood1208 said:
    Or, they'll just quietly release them, who knows when.
    But, the problem is I need to buy something soon, and my son was already not wanting to wait until WWDC (which I encouraged him to do).
    So, it's looking like a 2013 Mac Pro for me (maybe my last Mac), and a flawed MBP for him (and pray we don't have to pay the $700 keyboard fix). Or, I need to do a serious evaluation to see if the whole family should just make the jump to Windows.
    Bye! 
    edited June 2018 lamboaudi4bkkcanuck