iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    C'mon, where are all those people that were foaming at the mouth for Dolby Atmos support? Their dream/demand has come true. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 149
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.

Siri did seem to be under represented considering this technology will be the future of computing.   Either Apple will dominate AI technologies or it will happen on another platform.     As such I really expect to see Apple throw a lot of development effort and technology into Siri, Siri's integration into Mac OS and IOS and over all functionality.   Maybe Siri's improvements are bigger than let on at WWDC but you couldn't tell from this Keynote.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 149
    I was only able to watch some of the announcements and I don't see it in this article, but it seems like a big thing for a lot people is the Carplay support for Google Maps. I hear time and again, that people would prefer to have the choice. I don't mind apple maps its all I've really used.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    Yeah, two hours of glossing over almost all of Apple's software product suite , followed by four and a half days of varied and numerous specific sessions, labs, and events. Developers are getting so screwed.

Do I even need a snark tag?
    edited June 2018 mike1fastasleepericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysasdasdbestkeptsecretwatto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 25 of 149
    Just put my credit card back into my wallet. Had it at the ready just in case new ipad pros were announced. Didn’t expect them, but was hoping. So...let the guessing begin! When will they announce new ipad pros? September with the iphones? Oct/November before the holidays? Or...gasp...not until March of next year?!
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 26 of 149
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Very exciting stuff. At no cost to me, by this fall Siri will be making series of tasks easier (as predicted long ago by DED workflow piece); my AppleWatch fitness apps will be more accurate in measurement and in automation of start/stop and will spur friendly rivalries; iPad finally getting an AR app that is practical tool; My iMac also boosted by some iOS apps and further integration. And that’s not half of it. Looking forward to upgrade all devices. My only disappointment was nothing on HomePod, but hey Siri tasks will help there and we got a Dolby sound bar. 
    fastasleepwillcropointStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 149
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    larz2112 said:

Or in my case, the new Photos app will attempt to predict what the user is interested in and more often than not get it wrong. It will also attempt to predict how the user wants to tag, organize, and search for photos, and more often than not get it wrong.
    You got that right. I hate how Photos organizes my photos. Detest it enough that I don't even use it to organize. I use MyPics and grab any shots from Photos as soon as possible before deleting them from the latter. I wouldn't want my Mac deciding how I want my files organized and I don't want Photos doing the same with my pictures.
    So make your own albums. Photos has that feature already..,,
    toysandmefastasleepStrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 149
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    wizard69 said:

I really don't care anymore what Wall Street does.   Frankly I'm happy that they have refocused on speed and stability.   

To me anyway, this Keynote just felt a bit off.   It actually seemed more focused on the consumer end of the business then the developer end.   Maybe I need to releisten as I did drop in about 15 minutes late, even so it was like that old hamburg ad with the old woman asking "where the meat?".
    It did strike me that Tim and Craig were a little off their game, being not well rehearsed and being careful about what they were going to say.

It was almost as if they redesigned the iOS and macOS presos at the last minute and had to expand the time spent on features with less umph!

Did like the Siri Hypercar... er, ah, Shortcuts, tho!

rogifan_newentropysgatorguyasdasddysamoria
  • Reply 29 of 149
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    That’s what the State of the Union keynote later today is for.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    After every WWDC were are treated to the whining of the perpetually disappointed and depressed society, if which you are the supreme leader. 
    Sorry I’m not drunk on the kool-aid like you and others.
    aknabimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 149
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

sergioz said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    You not the only one who feels that way. Apple stock is taking a small dip as we speak. 
    Apple stock takes a dip after every announcement, because Mr. Market has no idea what its doing.
    Well in a way it knows exactly what its doing...its taking a dip so investors can buy more at a cheaper price and then when it succeeds (and they know it will), the stock price will shoot up and they can sell! 
  • Reply 32 of 149
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    As if Apple won't have any sessions on ML2 or other technologies throughout the week....Why waste time in a keynote when you have a specific time slot to talk all about it?
    fastasleepStrangeDaysJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 149
    tmay said:
    wizard69 said:
    Gee, your good!

All I saw is a bigger fucking moat.
    Apparently we’re all supposed to be giddy over Apple sherlocking Bitmoji and Snapchat. Though I’m curious how many people who use those apps own the Apple hardware that can support these features. I’m guessing not a lot of teenagers are rocking an iPhone X.
    avon b7
  • Reply 34 of 149
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member
    Credit to Apple for working on speed boosts to older iOS devices even though they have to know that this will impact upgrades to newer hardware.
    MisterKitdysamoriatokyojimuwatto_cobrapropod
  • Reply 35 of 149
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    JFC_PA said:
    larz2112 said:

Or in my case, the new Photos app will attempt to predict what the user is interested in and more often than not get it wrong. It will also attempt to predict how the user wants to tag, organize, and search for photos, and more often than not get it wrong.
    You got that right. I hate how Photos organizes my photos. Detest it enough that I don't even use it to organize. I use MyPics and grab any shots from Photos as soon as possible before deleting them from the latter. I wouldn't want my Mac deciding how I want my files organized and I don't want Photos doing the same with my pictures.
    So make your own albums. Photos has that feature already..,,
    Making your own albums sucks in Photos. It functions as a smart folder, which means the photo in your album is also listed in the root. Most of the time people don’t want that. And it makes organizing very hard. I don’t know which photos I haven’t organized yet because they don’t disappear from an ‘unorganized folder’.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 149
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    After every WWDC were are treated to the whining of the perpetually disappointed and depressed society, if which you are the supreme leader. 
    Sorry I’m not drunk on the kool-aid like you and others.
    I’m sorry you aren’t too. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 149
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Looks to me that the lowest Apple will support will be the A9 with 2GB of LpDDR4!
    It's supporting devices back to 2013 or the original iPad Air (A7)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 149
    You can swipe away apps on iPhone X without having to longpress first. Yea!
  • Reply 39 of 149
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Honestly, I don't see any performance issues with my iOS devices so it's odd they they are making it "faster" when in fact, its much responsive to my input.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 149
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

wizard69 said:
    To answer your questions:

1) Q) News in the Stocks app A) They mentioned this for a reason if you watched until the end... the News, Stocks and Voice Recording apps have been rewritten and ported to iPad AND Mac OS.  That's why it's important to mention since it demonstrates that Apple is eating it's own dog food with the conversion and that it's working great.  Plus, lot's of people use Stocks and News, probably just not you.

2) People holding iPads shows a higher resolution screen when viewed on the massive screens in the hall.  Also, it provides a more expansive space for interaction. Lastly, kids will probably be more apt to use iPads in a classroom or play setting than an iPhone.

3) SiriKit domain for music and podcasts: I'm not sure if this answers your question, but Apps can register their own phrases for Siri.  All apps.

4) Support for other audio apps on Apple Watch: This was already mentioned that apps will support background audio on Apple Watch 5.

5) HomePod was not mentioned much, but it was made known that the Siri Shortcuts you register or create are available on ALL of your devices, HomePod was in the picture and was also mentioned.

6) iCloud Pricing: This is a developer conference. They aren't interested in iCloud pricing changes.
    fastasleepwillcropointSpamSandwichwatto_cobrapropod