Google Maps, Waze & other navigation apps finally coming to Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Resolving a long-standing complaint about the platform, the iOS 12 incarnation of CarPlay will finally support third-party navigation apps.

Third-party apps in Apple CarPlay

The addition was revealed during Apple's WWDC 2018 keynote. The company didn't elaborate much on features, but images of a CarPlay dash interface showed icons for Google Maps and Waze, two of the App Store's most popular titles for turn-by-turn navigation.

To date the only navigation option in CarPlay has been Apple Maps. While Apple's software offers benefits like deep integration across iPhones, iPads, Macs, and the Apple Watch, other apps are typically more popular, and their exclusion was sometimes a source of frustration.

iOS 12 is due later this year. The upgrade will bring a variety of improvements, such as substantially better performance and ARKit 2 support. Siri shortcuts will make it possible to create complex automations triggered by a tap or a Siri keyphrase, such as "heading home."

According to recent market research, consumers are showing increased interest in, and satisfaction with, smartphone mirroring solutions, namely CarPlay. Collectively, over 85 percent of users were either somewhat or very satisfied with their system. Further, more than 90 percent said they are very likely to recommend the solution to others.

In one-on-one consumer loyalty comparisons, Apple appeared to have a slight edge over Google, with 34 percent of CarPlay users saying they rely solely on the tech for their in-car infotainment needs even without support for third-party navigation tools. Another 33 percent said they use CarPlay most of the time, while a mere 4 percent depend on embedded solutions provided by car manufacturers.

Navigation has been a weak spot for Apple since it debuted the in-house mapping service with iOS 6 in 2012, a product that replaced Google Maps integration. At launch, customers complained of incorrect positioning data, poor routing and issues with the product's marquee Flyover feature. The problems prompted CEO Tim Cook to issue an open apology to customers, and reportedly led to the ousting of former iOS chief Scott Forstall and Apple Maps head Richard Williamson.

Carmakers began integrating CarPlay into their products years ago, but adoption rates have picked up in recent months as longtime holdouts including Toyota and Mazda add the technology to their respective lineups. Even motorcycle manufacturers are jumping on board, with Honda's latest Gold Wing offering CarPlay compatibility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Did it have side by side navigation and Apple Music? That would be awesome.
    forgot username
  • Reply 2 of 39
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Best news out of WWDC2018. Now, we need wireless CarPlay in every vehicle produced and no one should buy new vehicle purchase without such CarPlay functionality.
    forgot usernameAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Automobile manufacturers are woefully incompetent when it comes to their entertainment software. From GM’s MyLink, Ford’s Sync 3, BMW’s iDrive, Mercedes’ Command System, they all are wanting and goofy. CarPlay should be available on every vehicle by now and there’s no reason it shouldn’t.
    claire1kingofsomewherehotAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    About bloody time, as our British friends might say.
    forgot usernameAlex1N
  • Reply 5 of 39
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    2019 Subaru Forester with CarPlay is in store. I have been waiting for it for a couple years. 
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Glad to see we can ditch Apple Maps- it is not ready for prime time for accurate navigation or traffic routing. Hopefully we will get better streaming radio options. TuneIn Radio Pro has been on CarPlay for a long time but makes my iPhone run hot and no other app I have does that. They have been notified many releases ago and it still is a problem. I would love to see a weather plug in to navigation apps so that drivers could be warned of severe weather along the route so they can delay or re-route and miss the mess. I work in healthcare and pull call. Many times we have to drive in really vile weather and that could be a great thing to have. I doubt any of you want to drive into a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning if you could route around it.
    edited June 2018 forgot username
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I would like Apple to make a USB dongle for CarPlay enabled infotainment systems that is a wireless interface with the phone. That way even older CarPlay units could be wireless!
    Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 39
    wood1208 said:
    Best news out of WWDC2018. Now, we need wireless CarPlay in every vehicle produced and no one should buy new vehicle purchase without such CarPlay functionality.
    Unfortunately some makers charge for it and BMW starting this fall will treat it like a subscription. That is nothing but greed.
    forgot usernameAlex1N
  • Reply 9 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

To date the only navigation option in CarPlay has been Apple Maps. While Apple's software offers benefits like deep integration across iPhones, iPads, Macs, and the Apple Watch, other apps are typically more popular, and their exclusion was sometimes a source of frustration.
    Define more popular? By installs, AM is more popular than GM. While techies, bloggers and pundits make loud noises about Google and Waze, the straight read of installs says most consumers aren’t as passionate and use AM. 
    ronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Freaking finally. Now I don’t have to use my iPhone for navigation anymore and CarPlay for me will become useful. 
    forgot username
  • Reply 11 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Glad to see we can ditch Apple Maps- it is not ready for prime time for accurate navigation or traffic routing.
    Your conclusion wasn’t what I read in articles a year or two back that compared AM and GM and said they’re about the same. In practice, I haven’t used GM in years and have had no problems driving in multiple US cities. 
    ronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wood1208 said:
    Unfortunately some makers charge for it and BMW starting this fall will treat it like a subscription. That is nothing but greed.
    Buy VW/Audi/Porsche instead.
  • Reply 13 of 39

Define more popular? By installs, AM is more popular than GM. While techies, bloggers and pundits make loud noises about Google and Waze, the straight read of installs says most consumers aren’t as passionate and use AM. 
    The power of default app is an amazing thing isn’t it. A ton of people would use mapquest if it was the default. 

Im sure if you had to go out and download either, GM would be right there if not ahead. Even now, both GM and Waze are one of the highest downloaded apps for a huge reason. Because people prefer them. 
  • Reply 14 of 39

Glad to see we can ditch Apple Maps- it is not ready for prime time for accurate navigation or traffic routing.
    Your conclusion wasn’t what I read in articles a year or two back that compared AM and GM and said they’re about the same. In practice, I haven’t used GM in years and have had no problems driving in multiple US cities. 
    Yep! You don’t have any issues so no one else could possibly have issues. All those people are lying. 
  • Reply 15 of 39
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member

"US cities" are the keywords here. There is a big world outside of North America 
  • Reply 16 of 39
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This announcement was an unexpected surprise for me. Great news! The way Waze works with Ford's Sync 3 and Applink isn't very user friendly. It's going to be nice to have the option of OEM navigation, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, and Sygic. 
  • Reply 17 of 39
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    I've never had problem with Apple Maps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member

Believe me. I cannot use AM in many areas where I live. GM goes where AM doesn't and my life doesn't get threatened in the process by indicating the vehicle should drive up a one way street the wrong way.

Alex1N
  • Reply 19 of 39
    nunzy said:
    I've never had problem with Apple Maps.
    There is no doubt when Apple maps was first released it wasn’t ready. It created the meme that would not die. But now it is pretty good. I use nav apps all the time, and it is just as reliable, if not easier to use as google maps. Generally, I go to google maps these days rather than just asking via Siri if I need to insert a number of waypoints.  Apple maps still lacks there.
    roundaboutnownunzy
  • Reply 20 of 39
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    wood1208 said:
    Absolutely, wireless CarPlay, where is it? Come on, wired CarPlay, so yesterday. What a faff having to plug your phone in every time you get into the car. Wireless CarPlay cannot come soon enough, especially as more and more vehicles support conductive charging.
    watto_cobra