iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 149
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    LOTS of people use Bitmoji and Snapchat. Messages is arguably Apple’s most heavily used app. Do the math. 

I’ve been to an AR art exhibit with hundreds of people walking around with iPads and phones interacting with things. There are a ton of apps and games where you hold up an iPad. You have a better way to demonstrate the tech than how they just did it?

Lots of people use the Stocks app. I do. 

HomePod was mentioned in at least once the Siri Shortcut demo. 

They announced background audio on Apple Watch for 3rd party apps, were you too busy crying at that point to notice?

Always with the whining and handwringing with you. 

edited June 2018 StrangeDaysLukeCagesteven n.brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 149

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    This is literally how it goes every year. You know WWDC is a week long, right?
    StrangeDaysbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 149
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    C'mon, where are all those people that were foaming at the mouth for Dolby Atmos support? Their dream/demand has come true. 
    I am glad to see Atmos support.

ARKit looks like a stop-gap or foundation building for glasses or some other head mounted display. Holding iPads or iPhones like that looked technically interesting, but not fun.

The machine learning & eGPU stuff was interesting, too. Of course, there were no specifics on what eGPUs were used, but I'll try not to be too pedantic.

Can Swift become a general purpose language outside of Apple? I'd love to drop Java & Python and start doing Swift programming. But for my job I need good web-app frameworks like Grails & database support like JDBC and Hibernate.
    asdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 149
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    jasenj1 said:
    C'mon, where are all those people that were foaming at the mouth for Dolby Atmos support? Their dream/demand has come true. 
    Can Swift become a general purpose language outside of Apple? I'd love to drop Java & Python and start doing Swift programming. But for my job I need good web-app frameworks like Grails & database support like JDBC and Hibernate.
    May I introduce you to my new girlfriend, Vapor? https://vapor.codes

(Varpor’s Fluent ORM does all the usual MySQL+Postgres+Mongo, afraid I don't know anything about JDBC. I'm personally hoping for Neo4JS someday… but as a replacement for Rails, Laravel, Django, I am a fan)
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 149
    wizard69 said:

I really don't care anymore what Wall Street does.   Frankly I'm happy that they have refocused on speed and stability.   

To me anyway, this Keynote just felt a bit off.   It actually seemed more focused on the consumer end of the business then the developer end.   Maybe I need to releisten as I did drop in about 15 minutes late, even so it was like that old hamburg ad with the old woman asking "where the meat?".
    It did strike me that Tim and Craig were a little off their game, being not well rehearsed and being careful about what they were going to say.

It was almost as if they redesigned the iOS and macOS presos at the last minute and had to expand the time spent on features with less umph!

Did like the Siri Hypercar... er, ah, Shortcuts, tho!

Weird. I thought they knocked it out of the park. A couple very minor flubs but overall, I thought everyone did an incredible job and sounded very well rehearsed. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    StrangeDaysasdasd
  • Reply 46 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    wizard69 said:
    Nothing says stability or developer like Memoji!!! ;)

I'm glad they are working on performance and hopefully quality, but I don't need a keynote about that.
    If you're going to take 2 hours of our time (or the developer crowd there) then at least tell us something important.

I missed parts of the first hour due to phone calls and had an appointment over the 2nd, but looks like it isn't even worth going back to watch.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    Speed improvements are real and noticeable on my iPhone 6 testing unit. This alone is a good news.
    cgWerksdysamoriacanukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 149

tmay said:
    wizard69 said:
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    Gee, your good!

All I saw is a bigger fucking moat.
    Apparently we’re all supposed to be giddy over Apple sherlocking Bitmoji and Snapchat. Though I’m curious how many people who use those apps own the Apple hardware that can support these features. I’m guessing not a lot of teenagers are rocking an iPhone X.
    You realize True Depth cameras are going to soon be ubiquitous, right?
    edited June 2018 StrangeDaysasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 149
    exadboyexadboy Posts: 6member
    Apple needs to fix the long-standing iOS audio glitch NOW. 
    waverboy
  • Reply 50 of 149
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    wizard69 said:
    Grading Apple based on your fantasies vs what they announced is your problem, not mine. 
    fastasleepbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 149

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    Yes, which is why they’re hosting a week of sessions to dig deep into these topics. If you’re expecting to cover it all in a two hour keynote you’re nuts. 

WWDC always highlights the new changes to the OS platforms, in part for the public audience watching the keynote. Serious devs will get their hands dirty at the conference and working with the betas at home. 

Non-devs will whine about it on forums. 
    LukeCagefastasleepbrucemcwatto_cobranht
  • Reply 52 of 149
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    larz2112 said:

Photos

The new Photos app will predict what the user is interested in, and is "more powerful than ever" according to Federighi.

Or in my case, the new Photos app will attempt to predict what the user is interested in and more often than not get it wrong. It will also attempt to predict how the user wants to tag, organize, and search for photos, and more often than not get it wrong.
    Indeed , indeed ,  indeed...

Lately when i watch this commercial from 80s....  i see  Apple on the big screen and many loyal fans wanting to be the hammer... how ironic. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=axSnW-ygU5g
    avon b7
  • Reply 53 of 149
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member

sergioz said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    You not the only one who feels that way. Apple stock is taking a small dip as we speak. 
    Apple stock takes a dip after every announcement, because Mr. Market has no idea what its doing.
    I dont think Apple does either 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 54 of 149
    wizard69 said:

I really don't care anymore what Wall Street does.   Frankly I'm happy that they have refocused on speed and stability.   

To me anyway, this Keynote just felt a bit off.   It actually seemed more focused on the consumer end of the business then the developer end.   Maybe I need to releisten as I did drop in about 15 minutes late, even so it was like that old hamburg ad with the old woman asking "where the meat?".
    It did strike me that Tim and Craig were a little off their game, being not well rehearsed and being careful about what they were going to say.

It was almost as if they redesigned the iOS and macOS presos at the last minute and had to expand the time spent on features with less umph!

Weird. I thought they knocked it out of the park. A couple very minor flubs but overall, I thought everyone did an incredible job and sounded very well rehearsed. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    So did I. But here’s the thing — we’re not looking for failure and disappointment the way the eternally disenchanted critics are. 
    edited June 2018 fastasleepbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 149

sergioz said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    You not the only one who feels that way. Apple stock is taking a small dip as we speak. 
    Apple stock takes a dip after every announcement, because Mr. Market has no idea what its doing.
    I dont think Apple does either 
    Look we have another one! 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wizard69 said:

I see the flubs as possible evidence that the presentation kept changing until it was ready and things removed from the presentation may have thrown people off because rehearsals were changing.
  • Reply 57 of 149

cgWerks said:
    wizard69 said:
    Nothing says stability or developer like Memoji!!! ;)

I'm glad they are working on performance and hopefully quality, but I don't need a keynote about that.
    If you're going to take 2 hours of our time (or the developer crowd there) then at least tell us something important.

I missed parts of the first hour due to phone calls and had an appointment over the 2nd, but looks like it isn't even worth going back to watch.
    So going over stability and speed isn’t important? Curious. 

Next time try watching it before you ding it. Nah that would require an open mind, and you’ve got a narrative to peddle! Apple has lost its way! Old Apple was better than new Apple! Steve Jobs....!
    edited June 2018 macxpressbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 149
    StrangeDays said:
    So did I. But here’s the thing — we’re not looking for failure and disappointment the way the eternally disenchanted critics are. 
    My measurement is stuff that will make my life better or increase my productivity.
    What's yours?
  • Reply 59 of 149

So going over stability and speed isn’t important? Curious. 

Next time try watching it before you ding it. 
    Yes, speed is important (did they say anything about stability, QC?). But, that took like 30 seconds of a 2 hour keynote, and we already knew they were supposed to be working on that (i.e.: no new announcement there).

I watched the first hour or so through the Watch section... trying to decide if I should watch the rest. The only thing of interest in that first hour+ was the multi-user FaceTime, though I often have to use Skype for compatibility anyway. I skimmed the notes on a couple Apple-sites.

So, what great thing did I miss?
  • Reply 60 of 149
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    wizard69 said:

I see the flubs as possible evidence that the presentation kept changing until it was ready and things removed from the presentation may have thrown people off because rehearsals were changing.
     You said it better than I did! 
    SpamSandwich