iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 149
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Speed optimisation is ALWAYS awesome news! Hello snappy! Should be an mandatory prt of every new update.
    did they mention when the beta is out? And when they aim for launch? I failed to notice.
    asdasddysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 149
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I was hoping and expecting from past announcements that there would be improved parental controls -- MUCH improved.   But, there wasn't  much here...  I guess Apple doesn't want to piss off their future customer base...
  • Reply 63 of 149
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The speed update is very interesting:   I wonder if I'll be able to squeeze another year out of my tired old 6+?
  • Reply 64 of 149
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I thought this keynote was amazing. I only wish they had some update to audioOS for HomePod.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 149
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Aside from multi-person FaceTime, switchable from group chat, it was really about a compilation of things. You saw enrichment across iPhone, iPad, TV, Watch, and Mac. You saw them preventing weeds and enhancing the magic within the garden of a billion plus devices. Their wish is that folks spend more time and $$ within. And limit the tracking by Google DoubleClick and the time frittered on Facebook. In short, Apple these new offerings are both to use sports metaphor offensive and defensive. 
    fastasleepGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 149
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    MisterKit said:
    Looking forward to see how it runs on mini 2. Any boost in performance will be welcome.
    For Christ sake go get an iPad that isn’t 7 years old
    Actually I have several up to date iPads but the mini is still useful. A performance boost would make it even more useful. It’s interesting that some processor heavy apps run fine. It’s the system operations that Apple talked about optimizing which are the roadblocks. Load times. Keyboard response. Those things.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 149
    I am hoping that iOS 12 is more stable than iOS 11 was
    dysamoria
  • Reply 68 of 149
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I was hoping and expecting from past announcements that there would be improved parental controls -- MUCH improved.   But, there wasn't  much here...  I guess Apple doesn't want to piss off their future customer base...
    What the hell are you talking about? They wouldn't shut up about all the nonsense they're making for over-anxious helicopter parents. 
    jasenj1fastasleepbrucemcStrangeDays
  • Reply 69 of 149
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    lkrupp said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    After every WWDC were are treated to the whining of the perpetually disappointed and depressed society, if which you are the supreme leader. 
    Dont simply brush off what he /she said... there is DEFINITLY merit there. 
    Unless the only acceptable thing to do is to praise everything apple does.. ... regardless. .... 

cgWerks
  • Reply 70 of 149
           Apple is clearly out of ideas! It’s been evolutionary rather than revolutionary for quite some time and now it is getting downright boring.
           Even developers know that we need the public excited about NEW REVOLUTIONARY hardware for our software to gain limelight. 
           Honestly how does this read in the journal etc?..... “Apple makes it a little cooler to own old stuff you already upgraded from so now your 2nd stepchild can chug the coolaid along with you.
            Bottom line is they were once about money AND creativity AND end user experience, now it’s CLEARLY money thrown in with some health apps (in dark mode sometimes).
            Why I am upset? I wait every year for one or two releases that I can endorse and proudly say “See? Apple is still on top!” 
            Now it’s clear they are leveling off, consumers will begin to turn and someone else will begin to innovate. 
             I am not angry at Apple or the fact that they didn’t announce anything really worthwhile today, I pity them. Apple isn’t cool anymore, Apple isn’t social currency any more, Apple is about on par with everyone else and no longer stands out.

cgWerks
  • Reply 71 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dicebier said:
           Apple is clearly out of ideas! It’s been evolutionary rather than revolutionary for quite some time and now it is getting downright boring.
           Even developers know that we need the public excited about NEW REVOLUTIONARY hardware for our software to gain limelight. 
           Honestly how does this read in the journal etc?..... “Apple makes it a little cooler to own old stuff you already upgraded from so now your 2nd stepchild can chug the coolaid along with you.
            Bottom line is they were once about money AND creativity AND end user experience, now it’s CLEARLY money thrown in with some health apps (in dark mode sometimes).
            Why I am upset? I wait every year for one or two releases that I can endorse and proudly say “See? Apple is still on top!” 
            Now it’s clear they are leveling off, consumers will begin to turn and someone else will begin to innovate. 
             I am not angry at Apple or the fact that they didn’t announce anything really worthwhile today, I pity them. Apple isn’t cool anymore, Apple isn’t social currency any more, Apple is about on par with everyone else and no longer stands out.

The content seemed a bit thin to me, but then I'm not a developer. I'm guessing you're not a developer either.
    asdasdStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 149
    dicebier said:

The content seemed a bit thin to me, but then I'm not a developer. I'm guessing you're not a developer either.
    Glad you got your 2 cents in lol
  • Reply 73 of 149
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    dicebier said:

Times changed. The market is in stage of evolution.
    You’re talking about rare events such as the launch of the iPhone. You can’t have those every year. Everyone is in the game right now too, and for mobile software services is what matters most, not hardware which is improving a lot anyway. Apple is quite weak on the services front compared to Google (e.g productivity suite, voice assistant, machine learning) so there’s a lot to gain there. I was certainly hoping for more on the software side. 
    dicebierasdasd
  • Reply 74 of 149
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    wizard69 said:
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    I appreciate that Apple is taking system stability and performance updates seriously on this one.  Too many people want their 15-minute ADHD fix on every release.  I look forward to seeing Apple make it even more rock-solid.
    dewmedysamoriafastasleepGeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 149
    dicebier said:

You’re talking about rare events such as the launch of the iPhone. You can’t have those every year. Everyone is in the game right now too, and for mobile software services is what matters most, not hardware which is improving a lot anyway. Apple is quite weak on the services front compared to Google (e.g productivity suite, voice assistant, machine learning) so there’s a lot to gain there. I was certainly hoping for more on the software side. 
    I agree, times have changed, I too have a HomePod and continue to believe Apple will catch up someday. As far as iPhones, not interested in the least also those announcements take place in September usually. But come on.....Mac mini,  MacBook Air, fix update for bass on HomePod, there were a ton of things that could’ve at least been hinted at.
             You are also correct that Apple is now not only weak on hardware but of software as well. All I am saying is that this is sad. The Apple ecosystem is almost complete and now those who had such a disdain for the Orwellian 1984 are becoming just that. 
    cgWerks
  • Reply 76 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    CheeseFreeze said:
    Apple is going after the frivolous and stupid now, as that is a huge growth market.
    dicebierdysamoria
  • Reply 77 of 149
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    I wonder if there is a second keynote just a few hours after for that? 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 78 of 149
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    You can swipe away apps on iPhone X without having to longpress first. Yea!
    that's great! where did you get the info from? couldn't find this on Apple's product pages.
  • Reply 79 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    asdasd said:
    wizard69 said:
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    I wonder if there is a second keynote just a few hours after for that? 
    I think the idea it is for the developers is goofy. Unless you're making a Lego-like VR game or didn't already know Apple was working on performance, wouldn't any real developer been bored out of their skulls sitting through that?

The developers go to meet with one another and attend the sessions. The keynote seems more aimed at the average iPhone consumer than anything.
  • Reply 80 of 149
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    So did I. But here’s the thing — we’re not looking for failure and disappointment the way the eternally disenchanted critics are. 
    My measurement is stuff that will make my life better or increase my productivity.
    What's yours?
    What exactly were you looking for? 

This was a fairly consumer focussed keynote and there’s a lot in this OS for consumers in fact. 

The much improved DND, screen time, face groups,  increased performance, and the new apps. 

Then there is the memoji. Not for me but I can see the appeal. 

For a yearly update, that’s fine 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra