Apple introduces watchOS 5 with enhanced fitness, Siri capabilities [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    amarkap said:
    I know someone above made a nice post about those things still missing and yes I agree...being notified (with a haptic tap) when my Watch loses connection with my phone is a huge oversight that doesn't even seem like it would be that hard to make happen.  But why oh why can't get just get a simple calculator to be included???  I know there are probably Apps out there but honestly I feel that little simple program should be included.
    Yeah, At least for simple calculations Siri ain’t bad. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    drugikat said:

So disappointing. Only boring fitness stuff. 

Here are few things still missing:

• no custom watchfaces
    • no sleep tracking
    • no always-on display (I have 80% battery in the evening to spend on always-on display)
    • no detecting when you left your iPhone
    • no scrolling through months in calendar view (only current month)
    • no announcements of new LTE countries
    Also missing...batch Messages deleting. Much needed IMO.
    This isn’t “much needed”. Nobody in my household has thought about doing this...the AW is designed for brief interactions and not intense data manipulation nor management. Deleting Messages on an idevice is neurotic enough, but I really doubt they expect this to be a common desire on the Watch. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32

rossb2 said:
    a watch face store was the feature I was really hoping for. Been wanting this for 3 years now. As a first gen user, I would not be upgrading my hardware, as this update seems incremental, and light on new features.
    Incremental features is how Apple rolls. Iterative improvement. 

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32

techrider said:
    It appears a line has been drawn on the life cycle of an Apple Watch - roughly 3.5 years (assuming you're a 'day one' adopter), regardless of how little or much you spent on the body and strap options (imagine the $10K+ some spent on the first generation gold Edition watch!).  Perhaps a Series 1/2/3 will have longer life cycles. I love my gen 1, and will have to decide if the new features in watchOS 5 are worth parting with $ to abandon an otherwise perfectly functioning device and band.  I'd like to see an Apple Watch in a category of devices Apple supports for at least 5 years.
    I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from this.   The Gen 1  / Series 0 was original edition and had some limitations that could not be overcome:  Part of it, as I understand it, is they are making demands on developers that were incompatible with Gen 1.  Also, the heart monitor on the Gen 1 was not up to snuff -- as you could not use it with the Apple Heart Study.

You can get a new Gen 2 / Series 1 for $250.  Most people that have upgraded have thought it was worth it.   I found a response time difference in a lot of little things that just makes it more enjoyable to use.   I didn't notice the lag until it went away, and then I thought "Hey, I like this!".  But the biggest difference seemed to be in exercise tracking with running where it just works much better.
    Yep I have 0 and a 3, and despite the 0 being a much nicer stainless steel model I don’t use it anymore, the hardware is just too slow compared to the 3. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    techrider said:
    It appears a line has been drawn on the life cycle of an Apple Watch - roughly 3.5 years (assuming you're a 'day one' adopter), regardless of how little or much you spent on the body and strap options (imagine the $10K+ some spent on the first generation gold Edition watch!).  Perhaps a Series 1/2/3 will have longer life cycles. I love my gen 1, and will have to decide if the new features in watchOS 5 are worth parting with $ to abandon an otherwise perfectly functioning device and band.  I'd like to see an Apple Watch in a category of devices Apple supports for at least 5 years.

Hmmm... my iOS app for Apple Watch says that my Gen 1 Apple Watch's OS is up-to-date at 3.1.3. (My iPhone is on iOS 10.2.1 for a couple reasons...) Old iOS = Old Watch OS? 
    Typical, I guess.

• Reply 26 of 32
    sabugasabuga Posts: 45member
    I'm still on the first gen (gen 0). I was going to get the 3rd gen, but when it was released in NZ, we didn't get the stainless steel model, only the aluminium version (Wi-Fi only). I really wanted the stainless steel one (not that fussed on the 4G). Still hoping the 4th gen will get to NZ in SS.... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    drugikat said:

• no custom watchfaces
    • no sleep tracking
    • no always-on display (I have 80% battery in the evening to spend on always-on display)
    Weird requests those two considering everyone complains about the short battery life.

I much agree always-on Watch faces would be beautiful and I thought gen 1 would have this. It would make the Watch more desirable. But battery life, ouch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    claire1 said:
    drugikat said:

• no custom watchfaces
    • no sleep tracking
    Weird requests those two considering everyone complains about the short battery life.

I much agree always-on Watch faces would be beautiful and I thought gen 1 would have this. It would make the Watch more desirable. But battery life, ouch.
    Obviously everyone on earth would prefer always-on faces. But with the type of display AW is using this would sap the battery dry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    So it sounds like people are suspecting an ew watch 4 in September/October I had the nike 3 but broke the glass and dented the case, and didn't think it was worth getting repaired or replaced, i have a first gen stainless steel, that still works for the time being, but the 3 was much quicker and better battery life. So I'm toughing it out until a new one is released, but will get another stainless steel one, since I think the sapphire glass is that much stronger. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What about watchOS 3rd party audio streaming like Pandora for instance?!  
  • Reply 31 of 32
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Question is, does walkie talkie work via Wi-Fi direct, like at a festival?  Why no iPhone/iPad versions?!  
  • Reply 32 of 32
    New updates available yet? I have already bought Apple Watch 38 mm. But thinking to buy another one. :)