iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 149
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jkichline said:

wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    I guess if you’re a teenybopper who lives in Snapchat and Bitmoji this was a great update. I liked the changes to notifications and Siri shortcuts and group FaceTime but the rest was meh. News in the stocks app? Who even uses that app? And showing off ARKit with people holding up iPads? Who’s gonna do that? Your arms would get tired in an instant. Where is the SiriKit domain for music and podcasts? Where is the support for 3rd party music and podcast apps on AppleWatch? Or more Siri skills for HomePod? HomePod wasn’t even mentioned on stage. How about changes to iCloud pricing? Based on the little rumors we had I wasn’t expecting a ton of OMG things but I was expecting more.
    To answer your questions:

1) Q) News in the Stocks app A) They mentioned this for a reason if you watched until the end... the News, Stocks and Voice Recording apps have been rewritten and ported to iPad AND Mac OS.  That's why it's important to mention since it demonstrates that Apple is eating it's own dog food with the conversion and that it's working great.  Plus, lot's of people use Stocks and News, probably just not you.

2) People holding iPads shows a higher resolution screen when viewed on the massive screens in the hall.  Also, it provides a more expansive space for interaction. Lastly, kids will probably be more apt to use iPads in a classroom or play setting than an iPhone.

3) SiriKit domain for music and podcasts: I'm not sure if this answers your question, but Apps can register their own phrases for Siri.  All apps.

4) Support for other audio apps on Apple Watch: This was already mentioned that apps will support background audio on Apple Watch 5.

5) HomePod was not mentioned much, but it was made known that the Siri Shortcuts you register or create are available on ALL of your devices, HomePod was in the picture and was also mentioned.

6) iCloud Pricing: This is a developer conference. They aren't interested in iCloud pricing changes.
    1) People make fun of the stocks app all the time. It was probably an easy one to port. Still didn’t deserve stage time IMO. Oh and how about porting the calculator app to iPad?

2) At this point other than for a small number of use cases AR seems like a gimmick. The tech world gets bored easily and always needs some new thing to hype. A few years ago it was VR, then chat bots, then smart speakers, now it’s AR and AI.

3) No. SiriKit for music would allow apps like Spotify or Pandora to run natively (not via Airplay) on HomePod. If you have a Echo Alexa can do this. Also the podcast support on Apple Watch appears to be only Apple’s podcasts app. I wish they would support 3rd party apps as well.

4) So Watch users can stream Spotify or use Overcast on their watch without needing their phone? Can non LTE watch owners sync playlists from apps other than Apple Music?

5) Good to know.

6) The first keynote is more consumer focused. The State of the Union keynote is really for developers. Maybe developers don’t care about iCloud pricing (I disagree) but I doubt they care about Memoji either.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 82 of 149
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I was hoping and expecting from past announcements that there would be improved parental controls -- MUCH improved.   But, there wasn't  much here...  I guess Apple doesn't want to piss off their future customer base...
    Eh? 

Pretty sure there are significant changes there. 
    fastasleepbrucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 149
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    You can swipe away apps on iPhone X without having to longpress first. Yea!
    that's great! where did you get the info from? couldn't find this on Apple's product pages.
    People on Twitter using the new beta. Also you can register an additional face profile for FaceTime. I don’t think that was mentioned on stage.
  • Reply 84 of 149
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member

sergioz said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    You not the only one who feels that way. Apple stock is taking a small dip as we speak. 
    Apple stock takes a dip after every announcement, because Mr. Market has no idea what its doing.
    I dont think Apple does either 
    Yea Apple just stumbled into the dominant position they are now.  They have no clue how to run their 900 plus billion dollar company :rollseyes: 
    tmayfastasleepbrucemcStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 149
    cgWerks said:
    asdasd said:
    wizard69 said:
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    I wonder if there is a second keynote just a few hours after for that? 
    I think the idea it is for the developers is goofy. Unless you're making a Lego-like VR game or didn't already know Apple was working on performance, wouldn't any real developer been bored out of their skulls sitting through that?

The developers go to meet with one another and attend the sessions. The keynote seems more aimed at the average iPhone consumer than anything.
    You have no idea how the WWDC works. Every single event from now on is technical. The keynote is always a description of the new OS. 

I just wanted the platform state of the union and there’s plenty there for devs - surprisingly for a “snow leopard” year. 
    edited June 2018 tmayfastasleepGeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 149
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Contrarian indicator shows a success: trolls are out in force, underwear in knots. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    asdasd said:
    What exactly were you looking for? 
    This was a fairly consumer focussed event and there’s a lot in this OS for consumers in fact. 
    The much improved DND, screen time, face groups,  increased performance, and the new apps. 
    Then there is the memoji. Not for me but I can see the appeal. 
    For a yearly update, that’s fine 
    Well, for me, hardware... specifically Macs or some news about Macs at least.
    But, the excuses given (here) for why that wouldn't happen were that it's a developers conference, or (from Apple) that they were working on speed/stability.
    So, one might conclude that it should be stuff developers might be interested in (which might eventually filter down to my 'make my life better/productivity' criteria. Or, since they had nothing to say about software, that I'd hear something about hardware.

Instead, I heard nothing about hardware, and irrelevant, silly, or stuff we already knew about software.
  • Reply 88 of 149
    By the way, I’ve watched the WWDC for years and been there. It’s generally not that exciting. There are rarely hardware announcements.

It is apples big or special events that create the buzz. From the iPod to the iPhone to the iPad. HomePod. Watch etc. 

The problem might be that that they are broadcasting it so the hoi polloi are upset that a dev conference hasn’t cured cancer. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 149
    Folio said:
    Contrarian indicator shows a success: trolls are out in force, underwear in knots. 
    Well, let me put it this way....
    In the past, I've been accused of being a fanboy many times.
    I've been around the platform for over 30 years now.
    I used to plan my schedule around not missing a keynote, and was excited for them (and often impressed).

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should stick it out for a while longer and buy an old Mac... or just thrown in the towel.
    dysamoriaentropys
  • Reply 90 of 149
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    More seriously Apple disarmed many critics over these two plus hours. 1. Boosting performance of old even ancient devices shows concern for folks on tight budgets. Dang. Can’t call them greedy catering to elites. 2. They shrewdly appeased big shareholders in a way that’s probably a plus for Apple and a minus for Facebook in their solution to the addiction brouhaha by empowering users/ parents with quantitative monitoring and prompts. 3. They further distinguished themselves in privacy arena by making it difficult for surveillance shops like FB and Google to track machines by “fingerprint”. 
    d_2fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 149
    asdasd said:
    You have no idea how the WWDC works. Every single event from now on is technical. The keynote is always a description of the new OS. 
    I just wanted the platform state of the union and there’s plenty there for devs - surprisingly for a “snow leopard” year. 
    Yes, I get this. But, since there wasn't much to show in terms of software, why not use half the show for that, and the other half for hardware? (... because they have none?) Or, talk about something exciting for the future? Instead they choose mostly gimmicky filler stuff.

asdasd said:
    By the way, I’ve watched the WWDC for years and been there. It’s generally not that exciting. There are rarely hardware announcements.
    As have I. It has often been quite exciting. (There have been hardware announcements more years than not. 11 out of the past 15 years.)

• Reply 92 of 149
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Go go gadget speed increases!   Another reason to keep my iPhone 7+ for a third year!  (Jet Black, bitches.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 149
    cgWerks said:
    asdasd said:
    What exactly were you looking for? 
    This was a fairly consumer focussed event and there’s a lot in this OS for consumers in fact. 
    The much improved DND, screen time, face groups,  increased performance, and the new apps. 
    Then there is the memoji. Not for me but I can see the appeal. 
    For a yearly update, that’s fine 
    Well, for me, hardware... specifically Macs or some news about Macs at least.
    But, the excuses given (here) for why that wouldn't happen were that it's a developers conference, or (from Apple) that they were working on speed/stability.
    So, one might conclude that it should be stuff developers might be interested in (which might eventually filter down to my 'make my life better/productivity' criteria. Or, since they had nothing to say about software, that I'd hear something about hardware.

Instead, I heard nothing about hardware, and irrelevant, silly, or stuff we already knew about software.
    You were expecting hardware at a software conference. There’s plenty there to help productivity - they’ve pretty much brought automater to iOS. And you couldn’t have known most of this stuff, there were few leaks this year. 
    edited June 2018 tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 149
    asdasd said:
    You were expecting hardware at a software conference. There’s plenty there to help productivity - they’ve pretty much brought automater to iOS. And you couldn’t have known most of this stuff, there were few leaks this year. 
    Again, 11 out of the past 15 WWDCs have had new hardware announced. And, it's hardware where they are most behind.
    Also, unless I'm mistaken, developers use Macs to build all those apps.

Yes, I suppose the automator for iOS can have some uses. The multi-user FaceTime is nice (though I mostly use Skype, as FT isn't cross-platform, and late to the game). Speed improvements will be nice (but were already known). A few new features in existing apps, I guess, for those who care (i.e.: who cares if photos can better search... I'm waiting for photos to be usable in the first place. Photos is just that app I have to go to to look at my camera images before I pull them off the phone. It's useless for photo management anymore.). Most of the Apple apps have been so feature-weak, or ruined, that I use 3rd party apps now, so improvements there are kind of irrelevant.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 95 of 149
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cgWerks said:
    There wasn't much to show in terms of software
    WTF are you smoking? The whole thing was SW and it was a lot of SW to cover. So much so that people—possibly even you—bitched about them not doing deep dives into the specifics of the underlying code changes for developers in the short time they had to talk about 4 different OSes. 🤦‍♂️
    tmayd_2fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 149
    Soli said:
    WTF are you smoking? The whole thing was SW and it was a lot of SW to cover. So much so that people—possibly even you—bitched about them not doing deep dives into the specifics of the underlying code changes for developers in the short time they had to talk about 4 different OSes. 🤦‍♂️
    What did they show that was anything of substance or mattered?
  • Reply 97 of 149
    cgWerks said:
    asdasd said:
    Again, 11 out of the past 15 WWDCs have had new hardware announced.
    They announced new HW today, too, but you need to read what you wrote. The take away is that some HW is likely to be announced during WWDC, but it's not guaranteed.

And, it's hardware where they are most behind.
    No it's not.
    edited June 2018 fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 149
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    WTF are you smoking? The whole thing was SW and it was a lot of SW to cover. So much so that people—possibly even you—bitched about them not doing deep dives into the specifics of the underlying code changes for developers in the short time they had to talk about 4 different OSes. ߤ榺wj;♂️
    For me, most of the changes to watchOS 5 are exactly what I wanted. Because of it, I'll likely be able to not get a new iPhone this year because I'll be able to rely more heavily on my Apple Watch going forward. Then there's all those great advances in macOS as another thing for which I'm excited. Less important for me, but still great (which is why I'll likely be getting the appropriate HW, is support for Dolby Vision and Atmos of the tvOS. And, of course, many of the benefits to iOS, but as I've said I'm trying to reduce my iPhone usage in favor of the Watch, which I'm excited for all the watchOS changes.
    edited June 2018 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 149
    Soli said:
    For me, most of the changes to watchOS 5 are exactly what I wanted. Because of it, I'll likely be able to not get a new iPhone this year because I'll be able to rely more heavily on my Apple Watch going forward. Then there's all those great advances in macOS as another thing for which I'm excited.
    I guess good for you on the Watch. I don't have one, and don't intend to get one.
    As for macOS... I suppose, if there were a Mac to run it on. :(
  • Reply 100 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/06/the-small-details-of-ios-12-macos-mojave-and-more/

Because of course, all of the details were in the keynote...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra