iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 149
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    exadboy said:
    Apple needs to fix the long-standing iOS audio glitch NOW. 
    What glitch is that?
    dysamoriafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 149
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Very pleased with the software-only and “make it better instead of making it bigger” nature of this years WWDC keynote. If you've been working on very large software platforms you'll come to see that a certain amount of cruft (or technical debt for agile speakers) collects over several releases, with each release rolls in a bunch of new features but seemingly small defects staying on the books for weeks, months, or worse. It’s an insidious phenomenon that oftentimes goes ignored for too long in the quest to deliver new features. When technical debt accumulation sets in, all of a sudden small changes and small new features seem to take forever to stabilize, incomplete work in process bloats, and bugs show up in the field that should never have gotten out the door. At some point the pain and embarrassment is no longer acceptable and the organization has to deal with the reality of its situation. The sad thing is that all of the data indicating the presence of the problem has been hiding in plain sight. 

Whether you call it technical debt removal or “doubling down on performance” Apple is doing what it had to do to bring its software platform back to a robust, stable, and supportable state. A number of the changes they are targeting are in-fact simply finishing features that were in an incomplete state for far too long. Sure, they threw in some candy and introduced some new features to make the new release more compelling but for the most part this round of iOS, macOS, and tvOS are focused on hardening, robustness, and finishing what they started one or more release cycles ago. I’m cool with this think it demonstrates a maturation of their software development process and a new found discipline. 
    dysamoriafastasleepGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 149
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I was hoping and expecting from past announcements that there would be improved parental controls -- MUCH improved.   But, there wasn't  much here...  I guess Apple doesn't want to piss off their future customer base...
    ????? The parental controls are massively improved. I mean, as in orders of magnitude better. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 149
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    asdasd said:
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    I wonder if there is a second keynote just a few hours after for that? 
    ??? Like the Platform State of the Union. Complete with code samples and a top level guide to the weeks sessions. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 149
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    wizard69 said:

I really don't care anymore what Wall Street does.   Frankly I'm happy that they have refocused on speed and stability.   

To me anyway, this Keynote just felt a bit off.   It actually seemed more focused on the consumer end of the business then the developer end.   Maybe I need to releisten as I did drop in about 15 minutes late, even so it was like that old hamburg ad with the old woman asking "where the meat?".
    It did strike me that Tim and Craig were a little off their game, being not well rehearsed and being careful about what they were going to say.

It was almost as if they redesigned the iOS and macOS presos at the last minute and had to expand the time spent on features with less umph!

Did like the Siri Hypercar... er, ah, Shortcuts, tho!

Weird. I thought they knocked it out of the park. A couple very minor flubs but overall, I thought everyone did an incredible job and sounded very well rehearsed. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    I see the flubs as possible evidence that the presentation kept changing until it was ready and things removed from the presentation may have thrown people off because rehearsals were changing.
    You never mess up when speaking before 6000 people plus millions online? But yes, of course they edit and revise over time.
    edited June 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    LukeCage said:
    Yea Apple just stumbled into the dominant position they are now.  They have no clue how to run their 900 plus billion dollar company :rollseyes: 
    Current success isn't necessarily an indicator of the future.

dewme said:
    Whether you call it technical debt removal or “doubling down on performance” Apple is doing what it had to do to bring its software platform back to a robust, stable, and supportable state. A number of the changes they are targeting are in-fact simply finishing features that were in an incomplete state for far too long. Sure, they threw in some candy and introduced some new features to make the new release more compelling but for the most part this round of iOS, macOS, and tvOS are focused on hardening, robustness, and finishing what they started one or more release cycles ago. I’m cool with this think it demonstrates a maturation of their software development process and a new found discipline. 
    Yes, I understand this. But, that took about 1 or 2 minutes of the presentation. There were a few minutes near the end that talked about future strategy and such.

The rest was wasted on the 'candy' which wasn't very appealing, at least to me. And, they left us all wondering what the state of the Mac is, other than maybe it seems to have a future because they are talking about longer-term stuff with it (I guess that's good). No news on when we might expect to see hardware updates, though? Just pretend that problem doesn't exist?

Actually, I'd rather they weren't even working on any of that 'candy' as most of it was just a time waste they could have applied to the speed/stabilization stuff.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 107 of 149
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    The ONLY thing I wanted in an iOS upgrade was faster performance on my current devices and the elimination of bugs. I don't give a crap about new features. "Exciting new features" are for Wall Street nutjobs and change-for-the-sake-of-change addicts.
    cgWerkswaverboy
  • Reply 108 of 149
    frantisek said:
    Looks promising but too soon to judge the speed. But my 5s will like any speed increase. And may finally update from iOS 10. 
    Same here. Still with iOS 10, on an iPhone 6s and first generation iPad Pro 12.9".
    waverboy
  • Reply 109 of 149
    artdent said:
    Credit to Apple for working on speed boosts to older iOS devices even though they have to know that this will impact upgrades to newer hardware.
    This was long overdue. It's been getting so obvious that they had to do something about it to stem the bleeding and rebellion which has made it into the media...
  • Reply 110 of 149
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If OS12 adds draft mode to iMessage can be huge help. Android has it for years.
  • Reply 111 of 149
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    artdent said:
    Credit to Apple for working on speed boosts to older iOS devices even though they have to know that this will impact upgrades to newer hardware.
    Yeah, the only reason I've been thinking of upgrading my 6 is because it's so slow. If they can fix this, I'll be hanging onto it for a while longer.
  • Reply 112 of 149
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    macxpress said:

wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.
     lol, you guys are a riot -- first people complain that Apple needs to work on making its platform more stable, and then they complain it's not exciting enough.
    Well it is a keynote for the developers and as such you would expect them to dig into the meat of things.   Even the new features seemed to be glossed over.   For example they spent a considerable amount of time with Mac OS covering the finder but barely mentioned ML2 or other technologies.   You know technologies developers are interested in.
    As if Apple won't have any sessions on ML2 or other technologies throughout the week....Why waste time in a keynote when you have a specific time slot to talk all about it?
    Exactly. The keynote is intended to give the press an idea of what's up and coming with the new operating systems and give developers a sneak peak in what is to be discussed in the coming days. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 113 of 149
    wizard69 said:

I really don't care anymore what Wall Street does.   Frankly I'm happy that they have refocused on speed and stability.   

To me anyway, this Keynote just felt a bit off.   It actually seemed more focused on the consumer end of the business then the developer end.   Maybe I need to releisten as I did drop in about 15 minutes late, even so it was like that old hamburg ad with the old woman asking "where the meat?".
    It did strike me that Tim and Craig were a little off their game, being not well rehearsed and being careful about what they were going to say.

It was almost as if they redesigned the iOS and macOS presos at the last minute and had to expand the time spent on features with less umph!

Did like the Siri Hypercar... er, ah, Shortcuts, tho!

Weird. I thought they knocked it out of the park. A couple very minor flubs but overall, I thought everyone did an incredible job and sounded very well rehearsed. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    Indeed. I thought Craig, in particular, was fabulous, having to present so many of the new features for both iOS and macOS, along with so many demos. He's without doubt Apple's best presenter after Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 114 of 149

cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    So did I. But here’s the thing — we’re not looking for failure and disappointment the way the eternally disenchanted critics are. 
    My measurement is stuff that will make my life better or increase my productivity.
    What's yours?
    So, you don't count Siri shortcuts as something that will increase your productivity? I think it's going to be bigger than it sounded in yesterday's keynote. To me it looked a lot like big portions of the Workflow app getting integrated.
  • Reply 115 of 149
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    cgWerks said:
    Yes, I understand this. But, that took about 1 or 2 minutes of the presentation. There were a few minutes near the end that talked about future strategy and such.

The rest was wasted on the 'candy' which wasn't very appealing, at least to me. And, they left us all wondering what the state of the Mac is, other than maybe it seems to have a future because they are talking about longer-term stuff with it (I guess that's good). No news on when we might expect to see hardware updates, though? Just pretend that problem doesn't exist?

Actually, I'd rather they weren't even working on any of that 'candy' as most of it was just a time waste they could have applied to the speed/stabilization stuff.

There two and a quarter hours of software features covered and you really think it was all "candy"? Even all of the "silly" stuff are features that many, many users will enjoy using even if you won't, but to suggest they were all silly or frivolous is ridiculous. There were a ton of major advancements in features, security, privacy, automation, granular controls, intelligent notifications, Siri integration with 3rd party apps, Dark Mode (finally), probably the first time screen shot/video capture tools on the Mac has ever gotten any love since they arrived, tons of Finder improvements. They literally killed Facebook's cross-site user tracking and browser fingerprinting in one shot. That's huge. I literally saw at least a dozen things in the presentation that I was super excited for that will increase productivity and many more in the fine print later.

As far as hardware goes, the rumor via Bloomberg et al is that new hardware simply isn't ready yet. That's it. It's not like they held a hardware-specific event and showed up empty-handed. They'll announce new stuff when it's ready and no amount of complaining, despite your best efforts, is going to change that. You'd be complaining about whatever they announced today had they done so anyway.
    edited June 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 116 of 149
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member

sergioz said:
    wizard69 said:
    Wow, not much to get excited about here.    Admittedly iBooks, if done right, could function much better on iPad where I like to use it.    Hopefully more info will follow but I jsut left feeling that they haven't revealed anything ground breaking here (not that that is a bad thing)
    You not the only one who feels that way. Apple stock is taking a small dip as we speak. 
    Apple stock takes a dip after every announcement, because Mr. Market has no idea what its doing.
    @StrangeDays aka Warren Buffett
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 149
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I was hoping and expecting from past announcements that there would be improved parental controls -- MUCH improved.   But, there wasn't  much here...  I guess Apple doesn't want to piss off their future customer base...
    What the hell are you talking about? They wouldn't shut up about all the nonsense they're making for over-anxious helicopter parents. 
    Is that your excuse for being a bad parent?   Call the good parents names?   Ok, if it makes you feel better...  If it eases your guilty, dirty little conscience.   That's fine.
  • Reply 118 of 149
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    C'mon, where are all those people that were foaming at the mouth for Dolby Atmos support? Their dream/demand has come true. 
    I think it was all good this time around.   Apple gave a little love to just about everything including tvOS.    Some years it seems like it gets ignored.
    WWDC 2019 will be big because developers will be able to port their iOS apps to macOS.  Every few years you need an oS update for macOS and iOS like this.
  • Reply 119 of 149
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Folio said:
    More seriously Apple disarmed many critics over these two plus hours. 1. Boosting performance of old even ancient devices shows concern for folks on tight budgets. Dang. Can’t call them greedy catering to elites. 2. They shrewdly appeased big shareholders in a way that’s probably a plus for Apple and a minus for Facebook in their solution to the addiction brouhaha by empowering users/ parents with quantitative monitoring and prompts. 3. They further distinguished themselves in privacy arena by making it difficult for surveillance shops like FB and Google to track machines by “fingerprint”. 
    +1. I really appreciate this move by Apple. It will promote customer loyalty in a way that Android can never touch. Of course, Wall Street will say this will put a dent in the supposed Super Cycle.

I can easily keep my 6S a bit longer now, but a dual-SIM iPhone XI in the Fall will pull me away.

Seriously, well done, Apple.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 120 of 149
    GG1 said:  +1. I really appreciate this move by Apple. It will promote customer loyalty in a way that Android can never touch. Of course, Wall Street will say this will put a dent in the supposed Super Cycle.
    I think it's the type of move that ultimately will make more people feel comfortable spending the money on an upgrade. Makes you feel confident that the investment will be worth it since Apple is showing they're willing to support devices for an extended period of time. I have a 5s and will probably upgrade this year anyway, despite the continued support.
    watto_cobra