macOS Mojave will drop support for some older Macs released before 2012

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2018
Fewer people will be able to upgrade to this fall's macOS Mojave, which has tightened the minimum hardware requirements needed to install and run it, according to release notes from the developer beta.

macOS Mojave in Dark Mode

Whereas High Sierra will run on many Macs from 2009 and 2010, the oldest Macs supported by Mojave are 2010 Mac Pros with Metal-compatible graphics cards installed. Otherwise the cutoff is typically 2012, and in fact no basic MacBooks are supported prior to 2015 models.

The complete compatibility list includes:
  • MacBook (Early 2015 or later)
  • MacBook Air (Mid-2012 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid-2012 or later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 or later)
  • iMac (Late 2012 or later)
  • iMac Pro (all models)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Mac Pro (2010 or later with Metal-compatible GPU)
It's not clear why Mojave would have higher specifications, but the answer could be related to GPU performance. Apple is deprecating OpenGL and OpenCL in the new OS, and the software may simply be more visually demanding, supporting features like time-based Dynamic Desktops, 32-person FaceTime calls, and the ability to edit photos, videos, and PDF documents within Quick Look.

Some other signature features of Mojave will include a long-demanded Dark Mode, stacked desktop icons, and a Gallery View in Finder. Several previously iOS-only apps are coming to the OS, such as Home and Apple News, and the Mac App Store is being redesigned in a manner similar to its iOS counterpart.

iOS 12 -- also coming this fall -- will support all of the same devices as iOS 11, going as far back as 2013's iPhone 5s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Planned Obsolesce!  /s

Seriously though, I bet its because of Metal and Apple dropping support for OpenGL/CL. Thats still a good amount of Macs that support this new version of macOS...some as far back as 8yrs ago, going on 9yrs by the time macOS 10.15 its released. 

If you're someone who uses an older Mac you have to know there will eventually be a cutoff where your Mac is no longer supported. Its the chance you take by continuously using an older Mac. 

And its not like your Mac just stops working just because you're not using Apple's latest version of macOS. You can still easily use your Mac with High Sierra for at least 2-3yrs if you choose to do so. 
    edited June 2018 StrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 61
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    That's unfortunate. My 2011 MBP quad i7 can still run circles around many current i5's and has been my traveling computer. Some banking websites still don't work properly on my iPad so I'll need to start saving money for an upgrade. Seven years is still a long time for a computer to be supported.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Like IOS 12 performance improvement on older iPhone, hope Apple doing the same for macOS Mojave running on 2012 MBP
  • Reply 4 of 61
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    I have always appreciated Apple's willingness to ruffle some feathers to do the right thing. I think this boldness is what has made them and their products great over the years. Plus 6 years is an eternity in Tech so I don't feel they are over aggressive with their strategy.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 61
    tomeonetomeone Posts: 9member
    Guess it’s time for me to upgrade from my 2010 iMac. This way I get to enjoy some of those software and hardware features added in the last 8 years I’ve been deprived of.  ;)
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 61
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    I'm happily surprised that my 2012 Mac Mini made the cut.
    welshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 61
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Maybe Windows is an option. 
  • Reply 8 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    macxpress said:
    And its not like your Mac just stops working just because you're not using Apple's latest version of macOS. You can still easily use your Mac with High Sierra for at least 2-3yrs if you choose to do so. 
    Heck my company forces the Macs to run on El Capitan, despite being able to run High Sierra, and this will likely continue until their next scheduled replacement in 5 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 61
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Whoa!

obsoleting Macs that are only 3 years old? 

Though im not personally affected by that, it’s wrong. Very wrong. 

I dig Mojave. Love how they are making it more compatible with iOS without merging the two, etc. 

but... computers 6 years old and newer need to be able to upgrade.  

Apple itself defines the timeframe of an obsolete computer and they aren’t even following their own protocol here.

i guess this is the Mac version of the iPhone 6/ios11 “batterygate.” 

It will likely help nee macs to be purchased. But it’s wrong. And that’s coming from a long time Apple evangelist. 
    avon b7bonobobwilliamlondonPKW
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Whoa!

I dig Mojave. Love how they are making it more compatible with iOS without merging the two, etc. 

Apple itself defines the timeframe of an obsolete computer and they aren’t even following their own protocol here.

It will likely help nee macs to be purchased. But it’s wrong. And that’s coming from a long time Apple evangelist. 
    What Macs that are only 3yrs old kicked out? If you're thinking about the MacBook, that came out in 2015 so there wasn't a model before that. 
    Robots78Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 61
    geirnoklebyegeirnoklebye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    The pity is that the i7 Mac Minis they start to drop off cannot be replaced with equally capable hardware. (unless you are willing to replace them with very expensive 2012 models off-of eBay or some other source.)
    edited June 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Whoa!

You’re reading it wrong. No 3 year old Macs are being obsoleted. Also, there is s difference in meaning between not receiving new platform versions and being obsoleted by support.
    pscooter63zoetmbwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 61
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    I'm going to be in the market for a new MBP later this year.  My 2011 didn't make the cut, obviously.  I prefer to buy in the front end of a hardware cycle and we are on the back end, so I'll wait for a new MBP.  Just wish that i7 MBP rumor had been true, and I would already have one on order.  I'll limp through the rest of this year.  I've had a 7.5 year run with this MBP.  That's pretty good.  I upgraded it from 8 to 16 gigs, stuffed a 2 TB SSD into it.  Nothing to complain about there.  I had to send it in for service once due to the display craziness a few years ago, but it survived.  IIRC, I dropped it off at an apple store on a Friday and it was back on Monday/Tuesday the following week, so that was good.  It wasn't promised to be returned until the following week, so that worked out.  I've had similar experience with Dell and Lenovo to, so its not like Apple is overwhelmingly different in under promising and over delivering.

I just don't like the direction of non upgradeability of the macs now.  Apple prices their stuff on the high end.  It is good hardware, but I don't consider it to be the best.  Basically, I have to pay a premium just to do iOS development.  Oh well, such is life.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 61
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    The 2012 Mac Mini bumped with 16GB of RAM, easily outperforms any new Mac Mini that is currently being sold, so I fail to understand why they would obsolete this line anytime soon.  Add a SSD to the 2012 Mac Mini, and it's a remarkably fast and stable platform, especially if you can get your hands on one of the i7 models.  What's more, the 2012 Mac Mini sported the capablilty to add TWO SATA drives, which means you could easily add two SDD drives, and wind up with quite a little screamer.

I fail to understand why Apple would remove the capability from the user, to upgrade the Mac Mini, when this was BUILT INTO this platform, from the beginning.  Steve Jobs created the Mac Mini to give the budget conscious consumer, a low-cost of entry into the wonderful world of Apple, and Tim Cook as done everything in his power to poison this wonderful little device.

Tim, stop poisoning the well.  It's counter-producive, and it's not winning you any new customers.
    avon b7geirnoklebyeAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 61
    BittySonBittySon Posts: 73member
    Any word on 32 bit apps?  Support to continue in MacOS?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Disappointing, but not unexpected. My late 2009 iMac is now frozen in time. However, there is nothing I specifically need in Mojave, so this doesn't upset me.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    geirnoklebyegeirnoklebye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    BittySon said:
    Any word on 32 bit apps?  Support to continue in MacOS?
    As far as I could gather from the State of the Platform presentation, 32-bit apps will run also on 10.14, but from then on support for Carbon is gone, and that will be the nail in the coffin for most of 32-bit apps come 10.15. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 18 of 61
    hodar said:
    The 2012 Mac Mini bumped with 16GB of RAM, easily outperforms any new Mac Mini that is currently being sold, so I fail to understand why they would obsolete this line anytime soon.  Add a SSD to the 2012 Mac Mini, and it's a remarkably fast and stable platform, especially if you can get your hands on one of the i7 models.  What's more, the 2012 Mac Mini sported the capablilty to add TWO SATA drives, which means you could easily add two SDD drives, and wind up with quite a little screamer.

I fail to understand why Apple would remove the capability from the user, to upgrade the Mac Mini, when this was BUILT INTO this platform, from the beginning.  Steve Jobs created the Mac Mini to give the budget conscious consumer, a low-cost of entry into the wonderful world of Apple, and Tim Cook as done everything in his power to poison this wonderful little device.

Tim, stop poisoning the well.  It's counter-producive, and it's not winning you any new customers.
    It more likely has to do with the GPU, not the CPU or what storage is inside it. The Mac mini isn't really holding Apple back. Its not a big seller and never was so I'm not sure why you're thinking Apple is not gaining new customers because of limiting the Mac mini or not updating it. Once Apple does update it, its not like they're going to start flying off shelves. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 61
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Whoa!

Please know what you are talking about before posting an inaccurate rant.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Damn, my Mini 2011 won’t make the cut...:(. I can’t believe I’ve used a this Mac Mini for 7 years and it still works great!
    welshdogwatto_cobra