macOS Mojave will drop support for some older Macs released before 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    And its not like your Mac just stops working just because you're not using Apple's latest version of macOS. You can still easily use your Mac with High Sierra for at least 2-3yrs if you choose to do so. 
    Heck my company forces the Macs to run on El Capitan, despite being able to run High Sierra, and this will likely continue until their next scheduled replacement in 5 years.
    Wow, that's incredibly shortsighted of them. Whoever implemented that policy should be fired on security grounds alone.

What do they do about replacements for failed units, or new Macs for new positions? Those are going to come with High Sierra, and most won't work — one exception is the Mac Mini, which of course isn't what you'd call "new" — with El Cap.
    edited June 2018 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    Apple seems to be drawing some line in the sand at 2012 with these, as it's obvious that a Macbook Air 2012 (supported) with Intel HD 4000 has FAR LESS graphics ability (practically NONE) than slightly older (and not supported) Macbook Pro or 2009 Mac Pro with better discrete graphics.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    neilm said:
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    And its not like your Mac just stops working just because you're not using Apple's latest version of macOS. You can still easily use your Mac with High Sierra for at least 2-3yrs if you choose to do so. 
    Heck my company forces the Macs to run on El Capitan, despite being able to run High Sierra, and this will likely continue until their next scheduled replacement in 5 years.
    Wow, that's incredibly shortsighted of them. Whoever implemented that policy should be fired on security grounds alone.

What do they do about replacements for failed units, or new Macs for new positions? Those are going to come with High Sierra, and most won't work — one exception is the Mac Mini, which of course isn't what you'd call "new" — with El Cap.
    My company has almost 10,000 employees worldwide. The number one priority is maintaining the stability of the network as with most corporate IT departments. That’s why companies ran XT until Microsoft said enough. They typically don’t buy new Mac hardware that won’t support the required minimums (and given the unsold Macs in the supply chain for many months after a model is discontinued, that’s not hard to do). Since Apple supports security updates for many years, unlike iOS, that’s not really an issue, or hasn’t been. If something happens to my Mac, they replace it with an identical model, while it’s being repaired. If an employee requires a new Mac for some specialized purpose, it is usually only allowed to connect to the network in a limited fashion, if at all, and requires significant approvals. Standard issue Macs all meet minimum requirements (and I suspect they overbought With bulk discounts to serve as backups and new hires under one capital depreciation purchase). The timeline for advancement could accelerate given how quickly IT is able to asses a new OS stability and compatibility with the network, but there’s no world in which they will need to run Mojave.

This seems like standard practice for most major, non-tech, corporations to me.
    edited June 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 24 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Related to Mojave on older Macs:  Question to AI editors: The new Mojave video screen capture works fine on my new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.  The record options appear on the Touch Bar.  I am baffled how to access this on a Mac Pro without a Touch Bar keyboard.  Anyone know the key commands?
  • Reply 25 of 61
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    This is pretty disgusting. Perhaps the most upsetting thing to come out of Apple in some time. We're starting to see the writing on the wall. First Apple charges a hefty penny for their hardware, and we swallow that because we want quality and understand that our investments last a long time. Now they are turning back on us in this area. I am no longer compatible with their mentality as a developer. Apple was a developer-centric company because they understood that making developers happy first was the most effective way to get high quality software.

There is still no option that is as good as macOS. That's just a fact, but at least Microsoft is trying. They look like a lumbering blind giant bumbling around and falling down on their face again and again (especially with the Windows 10 stability issues and their abysmal UI choices), but they are trying. Apple is basically not growing in this regard and is masking it's efforts as preparing for the future. Well Apple, it's definitely not for OUR future - but rather for YOUR future.

MS could snatch away a huge and important group if they'd just emulate the user experience and interface we're used to on macOS and simultaneously bring Linux under its umbrella via a reworked macOS-like user experience. Jobs knew how to do this and he did it with NeXT.

Apple has lost its way.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 61
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    ylon said:
    This is pretty disgusting. Perhaps the most upsetting thing to come out of Apple in some time. We're starting to see the writing on the wall. First Apple charges a hefty penny for their hardware, and we swallow that because we want quality and understand that our investments last a long time. Now they are turning back on us in this area. I am no longer compatible with their mentality as a developer. Apple was a developer-centric company because they understood that making developers happy first was the most effective way to get high quality software.

There is still no option that is as good as macOS. That's just a fact, but at least Microsoft is trying. They look like a lumbering blind giant bumbling around and falling down on their face again and again (especially with the Windows 10 stability issues and their abysmal UI choices), but they are trying. Apple is basically not growing in this regard and is masking it's efforts as preparing for the future. Well Apple, it's definitely not for OUR future - but rather for YOUR future.

MS could snatch away a huge and important group if they'd just emulate the user experience and interface we're used to on macOS and simultaneously bring Linux under its umbrella via a reworked macOS-like user experience. Jobs knew how to do this and he did it with NeXT.

Apple has lost its way.
    Oh jesus.
    auxiopscooter63fastasleepwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    RafitasRafitas Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Question, if i have mac mini with solid hard disc and 8gb of ram, may i install this version for my own? or de install process don't work
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 61
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    If you’ve got an older Mac don’t worry. Chances are someone will release a patch that lets the OS install.

My mums 2009 17” MacBook Pro runs High Sierra like a dream despite not being officially supported.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    neilm said:
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:

Has Apple dropped support for El Cap? No future security updates for that? 
  • Reply 30 of 61
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    ylon said:

Apple has lost its way.
    Oh jesus.
    Incredible, isn't it?
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 61
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    ylon said:
    This is pretty disgusting. Perhaps the most upsetting thing to come out of Apple in some time.

<more reactionary nonsense>
    Oh jesus.
    Exactly.  You'd think that their Mac is suddenly going to freeze up and stop working the day Mojave is released.
    edited June 2018 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    auxio said:
    ylon said:
    This is pretty disgusting. Perhaps the most upsetting thing to come out of Apple in some time.

<more reactionary nonsense>
    Oh jesus.
    Exactly.  You'd think that their Mac is suddenly going to freeze up and stop working the day Mojave is released.
    You mean that doesn't happen? /s
  • Reply 33 of 61
    hodar said:
    The 2012 Mac Mini bumped with 16GB of RAM, easily outperforms any new Mac Mini that is currently being sold, so I fail to understand why they would obsolete this line anytime soon.
    Reading comprehension problems?  As the article states, the 2012 Mac Mini is still going to be supported.  It's the 2011 model (and earlier) which aren't supported.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61

ylon said:

Apple has lost its way.
    What you mean that if Steve were here...Apple wouldn't be doing this. Ha! 
  • Reply 35 of 61
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Whoa!

obsoleting Macs that are only 3 years old? 

Though im not personally affected by that, it’s wrong. Very wrong. 

I dig Mojave. Love how they are making it more compatible with iOS without merging the two, etc. 

but... computers 6 years old and newer need to be able to upgrade.  

Apple itself defines the timeframe of an obsolete computer and they aren’t even following their own protocol here.

i guess this is the Mac version of the iPhone 6/ios11 “batterygate.” 

It will likely help nee macs to be purchased. But it’s wrong. And that’s coming from a long time Apple evangelist. 
    The complete compatibility list includes:
    • MacBook (Early 2015 or later)
    • MacBook Air (Mid-2012 or later)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid-2012 or later)
    • Mac mini (Late 2012 or later)
    • iMac (Late 2012 or later)
    • iMac Pro (all models)
    • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    • Mac Pro (2010 or later with Metal-compatible GPU)

....and in fact no basic MacBooks are supported prior to 2015 models

Image result for whoa joey lawrence

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 61
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    Perhaps a similar disclaimer would have come in handy as I installed iOS update on my iPad Air last week. It took 24 hours to brick and no one seems to have a solution.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    jcs2305 said:
    Whoa!

. . .
    . . .

And that's because there was a 5 year gap between the original MacBook and the current model:

Old MacBook (last model is mid 2010)
    Current MacBook (first model is early 2015)

Which means that, across the entire lineup, they're supporting everything back to at least late 2012.
    sphericwillcropointwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 61
    auxio said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Whoa!

. . .
    . . .

And that's because there was a 5 year gap between the original MacBook and the current model:

Old MacBook (last model is mid 2010)
    Current MacBook (first model is early 2015)

Which means that, across the entire lineup, they're supporting everything back to at least late 2012.
    But but...my 15yr old Mac should be able to run the latest and greatest macOS every year! How shortsighted of Apple to remove support for 15yr old Macs!
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Mac Pro (2010 or later with Metal-compatible GPU)
    What does this mean?
    ylon said:
    at least Microsoft is trying
    That physically hurt to read.
    edited June 2018 Alex1N
  • Reply 40 of 61
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    deminsd said:
    Apple seems to be drawing some line in the sand at 2012 with these, as it's obvious that a Macbook Air 2012 (supported) with Intel HD 4000 has FAR LESS graphics ability (practically NONE) than slightly older (and not supported) Macbook Pro or 2009 Mac Pro with better discrete graphics.  
    You think there is still MacPro4,1 out there that wasn't updated to a MacPro5,1?  :o

I don't think you will be able to boot a system with an Intel HD 3000 CPU if the OS doesn't have the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics extension anymore. And I'm pretty sure the system only tries to boot using the IGP. 
    Owning a 2011 MBP with a Radeon HD6770M I hope someone will make a workaround...  Anyhow I definitely will not replace this machine!