MacOS Mojave: Everything you need to know

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    jamescatjamescat Posts: 5member
    It's not true that it's the first time ever for selected screen recording.
    QuickTime Player has done that for some time now: 
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 22 of 41
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    Mojave also seems to have deprecated Back To My Mac in iCloud settings—perhaps because it has been a real dog on 10.13.x!
  • Reply 23 of 41
    DuhSesame said:
    Great.  What’s the system requirements?  Did it still support Macs with Core 2 Duo processors?

Edit: just saw the list, nevermind.
    Where's the list?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    plankton said:
    Mojave also seems to have deprecated Back To My Mac in iCloud settings—perhaps because it has been a real dog on 10.13.x!
    Huh, interesting! Maybe they think the way to do it these days is not to RDP back to your home computer but just store anything you might want to work on remotely in the cloud, and work on it using the equivalent mobile app.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    cjcoops said:

This might sound small, but you know what I’d like to see? The ability to copy/paste a few different text fields (e.g., “Copy 1/Paste 1”, “Copy 2/Paste 2”). 
    How would that work?

Very simply - and you can do it now, if you want.

https://www.macworld.com/article/2887279/clipboard-managers-for-mac.html

copy'em paste or others... up to you.
    I use Copy'em Paste. I thought they meant something more complicated with regard to multiple fields simultaneously or something, it wasn't very clear.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    plankton said:
    What! Is it gone completely? I sure hope it's not going away, I use it all the time.

ascii said:
    plankton said:
    Huh, interesting! Maybe they think the way to do it these days is not to RDP back to your home computer but just store anything you might want to work on remotely in the cloud, and work on it using the equivalent mobile app.
    That doesn't make any sense. I would assume most people screen share into their home computer to administrate it in some way, perform some task on your home server, so forth. Not to mention BTMM includes file sharing access.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 27 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    jamescat said:
    The whole point was this is now in the QuickLook feature, no need to launch QuickTime as was stated at the presentation.  
  • Reply 28 of 41
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:
    plankton said:
    That doesn't make any sense. I would assume most people screen share into their home computer to administrate it in some way, perform some task on your home server, so forth. Not to mention BTMM includes file sharing access.
    Nah, a *real* admin would use ssh :smile: 
  • Reply 29 of 41
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Did Apple finally add the 15 sec forward & backward buttons in Mac QuickTime Player like in iOS?!?!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    welshdog said:
    Will be nice to finally move my Mac Mini with Fusion Drive up to the current OS.  Wonder what the hold up was?
    Probably because it would be prolonging the life of older hardware, and they wanted you to upgrade, hence the cut of many older Macs for 10.14...
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 31 of 41
    sneexsneex Posts: 1member
    The GUI still does not allow you find badly installed apps like those hackers seem to javascript land mine into systems :/   The command line access is still required to get rid of those.

You know what I refer to - those that run on your dock but are not in the applications folder...

...  Still expect lots of support calls about that...
  • Reply 32 of 41
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    MacPro said:
    jamescat said:
    The whole point was this is now in the QuickLook feature, no need to launch QuickTime as was stated at the presentation.  
    I think JamesCat was making the point surrounding the statement in the video, “…For the first time ever, record a section of the screen…." That statement is clearly not true. Yes, with the Mojave, that will be available in the screen capture HUD, but the capturing a portion of the screen as a video capture has existed before in Quicktime. The above quote seemed to me to be a global quote. Check it yourself; the screen capture section starts at about 2:20.

Yes, after the screen capture there is an opportunity for a quick edit, but that works from anywhere and not just within Quicklook. That feature, I must say, is new, cool and welcomed.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    ascii said:
    It really depends on what you need to do. I'm an ssh expert but it is a little difficult to work on desktop publishing files from the command line. 
  • Reply 34 of 41
    ascii said:
    ascii said:
    plankton said:
    You know what I mean. :) Like, I have a media/file server at home, and sometimes I need to screen share in and fix something, set something to download/install/whatever, interact with a GUI app, things that can't be done from a command line. 
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Can anyone tell me if in Quicklook you can highlight and copy text from a PDF or document that can be pasted in another document? This would make my work life incredibly better
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Can someone running the beta check QuickTime Player and see if it's been updated from v10.4?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    OzzieSid said:
    Can anyone tell me if in Quicklook you can highlight and copy text from a PDF or document that can be pasted in another document? This would make my work life incredibly better
    If you are talking about a Screenshot that appears in the lower right, then when you double click it is simply a PNG that immediately has Markup enabled but it's an image so no text to copy.  If you Quicklook on an already existing PDF then you as now open in Preview from the button at the top right of the Quicklook.  The ability to copy elements from that PDF, as now, entirely depends upon how the PDF was made.
  • Reply 38 of 41

Can someone running the beta check QuickTime Player and see if it's been updated from v10.4?
    Version 10.5 (928.40)
  • Reply 39 of 41
    OzzieSid said:
    You can create a custom Quick Action that'll automatically extract text from a PDF file into a text file. The Quick Look button will show up in the Finder Preview Pane.

• Reply 40 of 41
    MacPro said:

Version 10.5 (928.40)
    Thanks! Any sign of a return of any editing features omitted since QT7?