macOS Mojave will drop support for some older Macs released before 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    smalm said:
    deminsd said:
    Apple seems to be drawing some line in the sand at 2012 with these, as it's obvious that a Macbook Air 2012 (supported) with Intel HD 4000 has FAR LESS graphics ability (practically NONE) than slightly older (and not supported) Macbook Pro or 2009 Mac Pro with better discrete graphics.  
    You think there is still MacPro4,1 out there that wasn't updated to a MacPro5,1?  :o

I don't think you will be able to boot a system with an Intel HD 3000 CPU if the OS doesn't have the AppleIntelHD3000Graphics extension anymore. And I'm pretty sure the system only tries to boot using the IGP. 
    Owning a 2011 MBP with a Radeon HD6770M I hope someone will make a workaround...  Anyhow I definitely will not replace this machine!
    If you like using your 2011 MBP, there's nothing that says you can't continue to use it with macOS High Sierra, or even Sierra installed. Those will continue to be good OS's to use for the next couple of years. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    I think the concern over 3 years is that the MacBook 2015 is supported. Poster doesn't seem to realize there was another MacBook years ago, but that the current kind launched in 15. That said they dropped support for my 2011 MacBook Pro. I'm sure because the GPU isn't Metal capable. I suspect they're doing big parts of the UI in Metal now. I just need them to release quad core i7 13 inch MacBook Pros and I'll upgrade!
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 61
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Well, my Early 2011 MBP has had a great run but truth be told it's time for a new Mac. I'm chugging along doing things like iMovie and Fusion 360 and even though they run well the keyboard doesn't work, only one speaker works, the DVD drive gave up years ago...

I'll just have to commandeer my wife's MBA I guess. She only uses it for watching TV anyway. :wink: 

sennenAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 61
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    fallenjt said:
    Damn, my Mini 2011 won’t make the cut...:(. I can’t believe I’ve used a this Mac Mini for 7 years and it still works great!
    Not just Mini 2011. The best MacBook Pro I’ve used is MBP Early 2011.  
    Apple should continue releasing security patches of macOS High Sierra, or the last upgrade versions for older intel-based Macs.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    No doubt it is not the processor. A 2011 quad i7 MacBook Pro runs circles around a 2015 MacBook. A person in my area sells a lot of used Macs. He knows how to hack newer OS versions onto unsupported hardware with maybe a missing feature or two. I suspect there will be Mohave hacks as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    oh, dear, my mid 2011 iMac won't get the latest OS. With a SSD it is pretty good, if the screen isn't quite as good as current models. I still haven't upgraded to high sierra, I was hoping mojave would fix the bugs AND support the mid 2011 iMac. Damn.

Anyway, it is time, I have had to bake the GPU three times to fix the solder, I only get sound out of the right speaker (probably loose cable, but I am sick of opening it up) and the DVD drive has got laser rot. Apart from those issues though....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    Bother. Oh well, 6+ years is a good run for a computer, though (iMac mid-2010 bought in 2011 unknowingly before the mid-2011 came out - which is when I joined Appleinsider, so as to avoid such stuff-ups in the future...).
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 61
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    Well, there is a guy with the name of dosdude1 that's working on a solution for the unsupported Macs.  Yeah, I have some Mac Minis from 2011 that hopefully will work.

Will keep you guys updated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 61
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    eightzero said:
    neilm said:
    mac_128 said:
    macxpress said:
    And its not like your Mac just stops working just because you're not using Apple's latest version of macOS. You can still easily use your Mac with High Sierra for at least 2-3yrs if you choose to do so. 
    Heck my company forces the Macs to run on El Capitan, despite being able to run High Sierra, and this will likely continue until their next scheduled replacement in 5 years.
    Wow, that's incredibly shortsighted of them. Whoever implemented that policy should be fired on security grounds alone.

What do they do about replacements for failed units, or new Macs for new positions? Those are going to come with High Sierra, and most won't work — one exception is the Mac Mini, which of course isn't what you'd call "new" — with El Cap.
    Has Apple dropped support for El Cap? No future security updates for that? 
    Last night I downloaded a ElCap security update (dated June 01, 2018) for my now home-bound 2008 Mac Pro. I don't ask that much of it or my old 2009 17" MBP these days, but ElCap runs perfectly on them for home/casual use.
    Alex1Nwillcropointwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 61
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    ivanh said:
    fallenjt said:
    Damn, my Mini 2011 won’t make the cut...:(. I can’t believe I’ve used a this Mac Mini for 7 years and it still works great!
    Apple should continue releasing security patches of macOS High Sierra, or the last upgrade versions for older intel-based Macs.
    ElCap is still getting security updates, and even Yosemite as far as I know, so you'll have a few years of support on Sierra and High Sierra left yet.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    ivanh said:
    fallenjt said:
    I don't see why Apple won't. For one thing, it will take a little while for folks to get on macOS Mojave, even if they have a supported Mac and like @sennen said, even El Capitan is getting updates still. I don't see anything to worry about with that. You should easily have at least another year of updates with High Sierra, possibly even Sierra. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    macseeker said:
    Well, there is a guy with the name of dosdude1 that's working on a solution for the unsupported Macs.  Yeah, I have some Mac Minis from 2011 that hopefully will work.

Will keep you guys updated.
    I think that this is going to be more about Metal support in the GPU than anything else. DOSdude does good work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 61
    sennen said:
    ivanh said:
    fallenjt said:
    ElCap is still getting security updates, and even Yosemite as far as I know, so you'll have a few years of support on Sierra and High Sierra left yet.
    Yosemite is no longer receiving updates, since High Sierra was released.  El Capitan will stop receiving updates when Mojave is released, unless Apple changes the support policy that has been in place for the last decade or so...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 61
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    I've sent feedback to Apple asking them to reconsider, or at least support it with some features turned off for older Macs like they've done before with iOS for older iPhones.  I have a 2009 iMac that I maxed out the RAM on (16GB) and just 6 months ago swapped out the original HDD for an SSD.  It runs High Sierra great - better than it ran Mavericks or Yosemite with the old drive.  I'm sure it can handle 90% of what Mojave would demand if they'd let it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sennen said:
    ivanh said:
    fallenjt said:
    Yosemite is no longer receiving updates, since High Sierra was released.  El Capitan will stop receiving updates when Mojave is released, unless Apple changes the support policy that has been in place for the last decade or so...
    If that’s true, then my company will likely push us all up to Sierra, assuming Apple still allows that. Hopefully they’ve totally vetted it with the network and it won’t be a nightmare of conflicts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 61
    sami74sami74 Posts: 1member
    I think apple should base their cutoff on the user experience and not some chronological method. If the hardware runs the OS fine, it should be eligible for upgrade plain and simple. In the example of the 17 inch quad core macbook pro, I don't want to speculate, but I can imagine that a machine like that should handle the OS just fine. If that is the case then I do not understand why Apple would deliberately cut it off. I mean yes they would like everyone to go out and buy new machines but it seems so un-Apple like to do something like that deliberately. I mean iOS 12 still runs on the iPhone 5S for God's sake!
  • Reply 57 of 61
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Well, the last Mac OS release I can ever use on my hardware is the problematic High Sierra, which I'm not on. Unless Apple sells a Mac Pro with sensible design and cost, this is the end of the road for me on current versions of Mac OS and software from Apple. Bye?

I'm glad iOS 12 is improving performance on older devices. I've avoided iOS 11 specifically because of its loss of performance and increased bugs. But, if I cannot have the most up-to-date Mac OS, what does that mean for my "ecosystem" usage? Won't having my iPhone/iPad on a newer OS break using my Mac with iCloud content?
  • Reply 58 of 61
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Unsupported install, here I come.

There is no 2012 17" MBP.  I suspect I'll be doing a lot of unsupported upgrades if 10.14 is worth bothering with.

I mean, it's got nothing useful in terms of features, but maybe there will be some stability - but probably not with SIP turned off, as it will likely have to be.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    darkvader said:
    Unsupported install, here I come.

There is no 2012 17" MBP.  I suspect I'll be doing a lot of unsupported upgrades if 10.14 is worth bothering with.

I mean, it's got nothing useful in terms of features, but maybe there will be some stability - but probably not with SIP turned off, as it will likely have to be.
    I have the feeling you're going to be disappointed when there are no unsupported upgrades available.  I've been reading some of the forums on MacRumors and there seem to be some hard limits that are going to be tough to get around due to the Metal requirements.  Not sure how you get around that on the older 17" MacBook Pro models that have really old graphics chipsets.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    NoLoveFor5,1MacProMid2012NoLoveFor5,1MacProMid2012 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    My Mac Pro Mid 2012 5,1 is a power house. Surprised they cut that model out. The 6,1 is supported and you can put a much more powerful video card into the 5,1 and I think my dual 3.46 gig 6 core (for a total of 12 with 24 threads) can handle it much better than my 2012 mid macbook pro laptop that will be supported. It's crazy....