AirPlay 2 coming to HomePod rival Sonos One in July, feature of new Beam speaker

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Three existing Sonos speakers -- the One, Play:5, and Playbase -- will all get promised AirPlay 2 compatibility in July, the company announced during a Wednesday event.

Sonos & AirPlay 2

AirPlay 2 support will let people push audio to one or more speakers through direct OS controls, as well as Siri voice commands. Notably speakers with Alexa support -- such as the One and the newly-announced Beam soundbar that also supports AirPlay 2 -- can control ongoing playback regardless of where audio was started, though of course they can't begin playback on an iOS device.

Another novelty is that while only three speakers will initially be compatible, owning one of them will bring AirPlay 2 to older Sonos speakers.

AirPlay 2 is also present on devices like the HomePod and the Apple TV, and offers features such as multi-room audio and limited HomeKit controls. One of the selling points of Sonos speakers has typically been their ability to play in multiple rooms simultaneously, or push audio from one room to another.

Several speaker and receiver makers have pledged their support for AirPlay 2. These include Bang & Olufsen, Denon, Libratone, Marantz, and Naim.

When iOS 11.4 and tvOS 11.4 went live, though, the only speaker with support was Apple's own HomePod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    What about Atmos support?  ATV 4K has Atmos, but no talk of it for HomePod, so a market opportunity exists!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Any day now....homepod is not even using the processor potential....Atmos here we go
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The Sonos Beam could be a good choice for a sound bar — now that they finally support HDMI, and it offers AirPlay2 for direct music playback from apps like Music. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    What about Atmos support?  ATV 4K has Atmos, but no talk of it for HomePod, so a market opportunity exists!!
    Do you actually know what Atmos is? The HomePod can’t do it because of hardware. You need to have speakers installed in the ceiling for the best experience. Or you can get upward facing speakers that will reflect it off the ceiling. 
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Sonos have a problem.  I just set the HomePods up as a pair for the first time ... just Wow!  I also out of curiosity selected them to be the sound output from my Apple TV 4K but forgot to switch off the surround sound system I already had.  The Apple Play2 joined the two systems seamlessly and allow for individual volume control of each system.  This either from the Apple TV 4K or from asking Siri to play my iTunes Library.  It even shows that the two systems are joined with a plus sign between the paired HomePods and the Apple TV 4K's surround system's name.  Anyone complaining a single HomePods wasn't loud enough should hear this set up!  That all said, turning the volume off on the surround system (Yamaha)  makes for a far better sound and the surround sound that two paired HomePods create is just staggering as is the fidelity ... and that bass, OMG!  This coming from the owner of two NIghtingale NM1 studio monitors with reflex bass cabinets.

sirlance99
    said:
    Do you actually know what Atmos is? The HomePod can’t do it because of hardware. You need to have speakers installed in the ceiling for the best experience. Or you can get upward facing speakers that will reflect it off the ceiling. 
    To be honest with two HomePods the sound comes from everywhere, it is just unbelievable, no need for ceiling speakers!
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    MacPro said:
    Sonos have a problem.  I just set the HomePods up as a pair for the first time ... just Wow!  I also out of curiosity selected them to be the sound output from my Apple TV 4K but forgot to switch off the surround sound system I already had.  The Apple Play2 joined the two systems seamlessly and allow for individual volume control of each system.  This either from the Apple TV 4K or from asking Siri to play my iTunes Library.  It even shows that the two systems are joined with a plus sign between the paired HomePods and the Apple TV 4K's surround system's name.  Anyone complaining a single HomePods wasn't loud enough should hear this set up!  That all said, turning the volume off on the surround system (Yamaha)  makes for a far better sound and the surround sound that two paired HomePods create is just staggering as is the fidelity ... and that bass, OMG!  This coming from the owner of two NIghtingale NM1 studio monitors with reflex bass cabinets.

sirlance99
    said:
    To be honest with two HomePods the sound comes from everywhere, it is just unbelievable, no need for ceiling speakers!
    But still wouldn't be true Dolby Atmos. Although I'm sure 2 HomePods sound amazing when you have them paired together in harmony. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    MacPro said:

sirlance99
    said:
    But still wouldn't be true Dolby Atmos. Although I'm sure 2 HomePods sound amazing when you have them paired together in harmony. 
    Not sure why Apple would state they support Atomos if they can't reproduce it?

So ...  I just played the Dolby Atmos demo 4K video with paired HomePods and I had to duck as the overhead jet shot past me over my head!  Absolutely stunning.  If it isn't 'true' I guess there will be law suits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Will this allow me to stereo pair a Sonos 5 and HomePod?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-atmos.html

This is directly from the site. They don’t mention having to have the set up with speakers in the ceiling In order to take advantage. They mention sound bars having the ability to reproduce “moving audio” and even mobile devices while using headphones. I def think that the speaker placement you mention would enhance this in a home theatre setting, but it’s not the end all and processing on individual channels is what makes Atmos sound the way it does. 

This is what I got from the info on their site. 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Am interested re the Home Por set up for TV and surround sound. Is there anyway of using a Home Pod pair setup for normal use of my TV - through aerial or cable? I presume I could only use it with Apple TV? 
    watto_cobra