This is what a Group FaceTime video call in iOS 12 looks like

Posted:
in iOS
FaceTime is getting a huge upgrade in iOS 12 with a new feature called Group FaceTime, which enables up to 32 iPhone, iPad and Mac owners to participate in a video conference call simultaneously.

Group FaceTime is just one of many new features coming to Apple's latest operations systems -- iOS 12 and macOS Mojave -- though it is perhaps one of the most important in that it promises to reshape how consumers use their iOS and Mac products. This is the biggest development to come to FaceTime since it originally debuted on the iPhone 4.

When participating in a Group FaceTime call, up to 32 people are able to join in on the fun. They can all be present from the get-go, or can be added after the conference has already started, similar to a regular voice call.

In the FaceTime user interface, each caller gets their own individual box, which shrinks in size as more users are added. If the screen gets too full, callers are relegated to a carousel along the bottom called the "roster." Users can rearrange the boxes manually, but Apple built in a neat feature that automatically repositions and resizes the panes when callers start talking, bringing their box front and center.

When receiving a FaceTime call, there are a few options presented before accepting the invite. The camera can be swapped, the mic muted, or effects can be added.

Speaking of effects, iOS 12 contains a variety of new filters for customizing the look of a video chat. Included in the effects are Animoji, first introduced with the iPhone X. They will replace your face, and move as you do, including winks and tongue movements. Along with the original Animoji, there are four new additions: ghost, koala, T-Rex, and tiger. Memoji, an animated avatar of yourself that can be painstakingly customized to to your liking, are new too.

Other effects include filters, text, shapes, and stickers brought over from iMessage.

Group FaceTime will be supported on iPhones and iPads running iOS 12, though during the first beta the feature is not available on iPad. FaceTime calls can now also be answered as audio-only on Apple Watches running watchOS 5, before being transferred to another device with a camera.

This early in the beta process things are expected to be rocky. We noticed quite a few hiccups in our testing on the first beta, making it difficult to use the app without major glitches. These should be cleared up as we approach the release this fall.
Anilu

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    Apple really nailed this, I wanted every single one of the features they added to group FaceTime. I can’t wait to use this in iOS 12. 
    Anilu
  • Reply 2 of 8
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Yeah this is so big it overshadows the other iOS 12 communications improvements. WakieTalkie and Memoji and fast Siri reply. And don’t forget the other side of coin: new barriers, safe zones, to cut clutter and say obligations to purge notifications at 1 am. 
    Anilu
  • Reply 3 of 8
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    LukeCage said:
    Apple really nailed this, I wanted every single one of the features they added to group FaceTime. I can’t wait to use this in iOS 12. 
    I would have loved it if they also added the ability to broadcast one video to a group that could reply via text. Would be awesome for classrooms, especially if you could save the video. Like Facebook live etc but with a better UI. Maybe in a year or two

and if they would open up Animoji etc to be useable in other apps and let 3rd parties sell their own like stickers. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Nice but they should have supported screen sharing. I don’t see any reason to use this instead of Zoom for example.

Consumer: The ability to show your parents some recent photos and animations of your kids, or explain them how to change their mail settings.

Professional: sharing Keynotes or your phone screen/desktop to explain your work.

Anilu
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I can’t wait till I’m in line at a gas station listening to the person in front of me on speaker. Now instead of hearing all their business as well as the business of the person on the other end of the line I get to hear dozens of people’s business. All about what they had for dinner of who got locked up that day.

Innovation is cool...until it’s not.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    AniluAnilu Posts: 4member
    Nice but they should have supported screen sharing. I don’t see any reason to use this instead of Zoom for example.

Consumer: The ability to show your parents some recent photos and animations of your kids, or explain them how to change their mail settings.

Professional: sharing Keynotes or your phone screen/desktop to explain your work.

This is something my friends and I have been waiting for for ages! One of the most exciting features to come out of WWDC. (That and the security features and enhanced Do Not Disturb Mode.) But I would like screen sharing. As one of the options, one person could tap ‘share screen’ and all faces would be replaced by their screen for everyone in the group. We have screen recording so I don’t see it as being hard to do. Lol we’re never satisfied. But this is awesome!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    8thman8thman Posts: 29member
    I am REALLY Excited about this BUT...can I do it on a BIG SCREEN - using Apple TV??
    Also (since i work in IT videoconferencing) can it share documents (Screen Share)??????? THAT would be earthshaking for our $80,000 video room cost justification.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 8 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let me know when someone tests out 32 participants in a call. That I'd like to see. Why? Because a small business might be able to hold meetings this way and I want to know how effectively it actually works.
    edited June 2018