Horace Dediu's first Apple Summit in LA on June 14, 2018 is a WWDC for Apple investors

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited June 2018
Next week on June 14, rockstar analyst Horace Dediu of Asymco and the Technorati will be presenting "The Goose That Lays The Golden Eggs," a first of its kind investor summit discussing the fundamentals of Apple as a business and its recurring revenue model.

The Apple Summit is being held in Los Angeles, California at Chateau Marmont on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. The all-day event will feature Apple, mobility, and the future of technology.

In an Asymco posting, Dediu noted that the Apple Summit "was inspired by a blog post from 2013 foreshadowing how human nature instinctively discounts Apple and yet how that nature is mismatched to how Apple actually works."

He added, "if you are curious about why Wall Street says 'Sell' and Warren Buffet says 'Buy' on Apple you might want to spend some time with us."

Tickets to the all day event are still available, and attendees can sign up online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’m sure it’ll be a great event, but I’m a cheapskate and it would be tough for me to justify spending $300 on an event rather than just commit the money toward buying more AAPL ... He’s one of the few very smart Apple analysts out there.
    viclauyycjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    One of only three analysts/journalists I  pay any attention to. 
    brucemcStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Who are the other two?

I subscribe to Above Avalon as I find Neil is also one who looks deeper into the issue than any other analyst.  Always enjoyed listening to Horace's Critical Path podcast, but there hasn't been a new episode in quite some time.

John Gruber is pretty sensible, but he is not above getting caught up in the hysteria of the moment either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    brucemc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Who are the other two?

I subscribe to Above Avalon as I find Neil is also one who looks deeper into the issue than any other analyst.  Always enjoyed listening to Horace's Critical Path podcast, but there hasn't been a new episode in quite some time.

John Gruber is pretty sensible, but he is not above getting caught up in the hysteria of the moment either.
    Agreed. Another good one is PED:

https://www.ped30.com/
    SpamSandwichjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So this is available to anyone? Seems like the people it’s going to appeal to are the ones who know he’s going to tell them what they want to hear. If he’s so good perhaps Apple should hire him to do investor relations for the company.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    brucemc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Who are the other two?

Agreed. Another good one is PED:

https://www.ped30.com/
    PED can be counted on to call out bad data or predictions from analysts. He himself is not an analyst.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    brucemc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Who are the other two?

Ben Thompson and Philip Elmer-Dewitt

and DED of course, mainly to watch the Google gang lose their 💩
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Who needs any analyst on Apple?  Anyone with a view of the future would have known on any day over the last 11 years that Apple has been a strong investment proposition.  I’ve made well over $1 million in the stock (and trading options) in the seven years since I first took a position.  And I started with less than $500k of capital, only $300k of that dedicated to Apple.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Who needs any analyst on Apple?  Anyone with a view of the future would have known on any day over the last 11 years that Apple has been a strong investment proposition.  I’ve made well over $1 million in the stock (and trading options) in the seven years since I first took a position.  And I started with less than $500k of capital, only $300k of that dedicated to Apple.  
    I occasionally wish I had invested even more when I first got into AAPL in the year 2000. Put a big chunk of cash into the stock (a big chunk for me... at the time) and as a result will soon be in a position that I could retire... maybe less than a year. The majority of my money is tied up in AAPL, even though I have a pretty diverse portfolio (it looks like a mutual fund of investments). I've never sold a single share of AAPL. Glad I stuck with it too, even though I totally missed out on massive gains I could've had in cryptocurrencies if I had chosen to commit to that route instead. It's all been very instructive and I've discovered there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    So this is available to anyone? Seems like the people it’s going to appeal to are the ones who know he’s going to tell them what they want to hear. If he’s so good perhaps Apple should hire him to do investor relations for the company.
    Horace is also very big on mobility, which is very hot right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Actually, the folk who listen to him are the folk who prefer historical data and good old-fashioned maths over emotion and peeks into a supply chain they barely understand. Apple is doing well and he has  he numbers to prove it. 

Hating on Apple because there’s something about the Beats you don’t like is emotion, and has no place in sound investing. 
    watto_cobra