iOS 12 'doubles down' on performance for iPhone and iPad

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 149
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cgWerks said:
    brucemc said:
    I have read all (and definitely too much) of what you have written.  My comment stands...YOU should throw in the towel...you will never be satisfied...I didn't say anything about others...
    Ok, so I'll put you down as one more vote in the 'Apple is doomed' column.
    I'm not sure I can afford to abandon the platform right now, so that probably means one more round of Mac hardware, but I'll add your input to my decision.
    This is why people consider you a troll.  That Apple may no longer make the kind of Mac that you want doesn't make Apple "doomed" not does it make the folks who do use the Mac not pros and coffee shop posers as you have trolled in the past.

Grow up.  Given that's unlikely the sooner you leave the platform and AI the better.
    Solifastasleep
  • Reply 142 of 149
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    nht said:
    This is why people consider you a troll.  That Apple may no longer make the kind of Mac that you want doesn't make Apple "doomed" not does it make the folks who do use the Mac not pros and coffee shop posers as you have trolled in the past.

Grow up.  Given that's unlikely the sooner you leave the platform and AI the better.
    Wow, people have trouble with context these days...
    That statement was in regards to the questions I asked, and the response I got.

My reason for being concerned that Apple is (eventually) doomed is much deeper than that. It has little to do with whether they make the Mac I'd like or not.
    Yes, my 'coffee shop' jabs are a bit purposefully over-genraliziations to represent Apple's shifting target-market demographic and the impact that is having on their software and product line.
    As I've also clarified several times now, I love coffee-shop entrepreneurs and have been one myself... and certainly consider them professionals. The point is that I'm concerned over the shift in what 'professional' means in regard to computing hardware. Professional used to be a quality of the hardware, not the target market demographic (which, as I've also pointed out, could do professional work with a ChromeBook).

Maybe instead of considering me a troll, you might consider I've been an Apple evangelist for 30+ years of working in the industry and might have an insight or two. I'm certainly wrong sometimes as everyone is, and don't mind being corrected. I'm also a bit passionately pissed right now (and I think, justifiably so). I don't have time right now, but maybe I need to go point-by-point through the keynote and explain my position. I suppose that would make a good blog post. It wasn't all bad... there just wasn't much good or things of substance.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 143 of 149
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cgWerks said:
    nht said:

Wow, people have trouble with context these days...
    That statement was in regards to the questions I asked, and the response I got.

My reason for being concerned that Apple is (eventually) doomed is much deeper than that. It has little to do with whether they make the Mac I'd like or not.
    Yes, my 'coffee shop' jabs are a bit purposefully over-genraliziations to represent Apple's shifting target-market demographic and the impact that is having on their software and product line.
    As I've also clarified several times now, I love coffee-shop entrepreneurs and have been one myself... and certainly consider them professionals. The point is that I'm concerned over the shift in what 'professional' means in regard to computing hardware. Professional used to be a quality of the hardware, not the target market demographic (which, as I've also pointed out, could do professional work with a ChromeBook).

Maybe instead of considering me a troll, you might consider I've been an Apple evangelist for 30+ years of working in the industry and might have an insight or two. I'm certainly wrong sometimes as everyone is, and don't mind being corrected. I'm also a bit passionately pissed right now (and I think, justifiably so). I don't have time right now, but maybe I need to go point-by-point through the keynote and explain my position. I suppose that would make a good blog post. It wasn't all bad... there just wasn't much good or things of substance.
    Given that you are old maybe you should learn a little patience and understand that many of the "good things" are due in 2019 and they aren't going to talk about them at WWDC 2018.  They aren't going to say ANYTHING about the Mac Pro in 2018 and the volumes will be small enough that manufacturing can be in the US and tightly controlled for leaks.  Retooling of the OS and applications for the next Mac Pro is going to be even more secretive than normal as Apple is likely on the cusp of a paradigm shift and a swing for the fences.

From a computing hardware perspective there is nothing wrong with the iMac Pro.  It's a move in the right direction and a skate to where the puck will be in 2019 but you refuse to even acknowledge that Apple has released any new pro macs because you don't like AIOs and want a xMac.  That ship has sailed a long time ago and I expec the next Mac Pro to be priced very high and geared for the needs of a specific market.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 144 of 149
    nht said:
    Given that you are old maybe you should learn a little patience and understand that many of the "good things" are due in 2019 and they aren't going to talk about them at WWDC 2018.  They aren't going to say ANYTHING about the Mac Pro in 2018 and the volumes will be small enough that manufacturing can be in the US and tightly controlled for leaks.  Retooling of the OS and applications for the next Mac Pro is going to be even more secretive than normal as Apple is likely on the cusp of a paradigm shift and a swing for the fences.

From a computing hardware perspective there is nothing wrong with the iMac Pro.  It's a move in the right direction and a skate to where the puck will be in 2019 but you refuse to even acknowledge that Apple has released any new pro macs because you don't like AIOs and want a xMac.  That ship has sailed a long time ago and I expec the next Mac Pro to be priced very high and geared for the needs of a specific market.
    OK, fair enough.... Apple is back in secretive mode. I'd be OK with that if I perceived things as somewhat stable. I never had a problem with Apple's secrecy in the past until stuff started going awry (and appreciated Apple at least opening up and talking about it a bit, what, now a couple years ago?). But, then I haven't seen any action besides the iMac Pro. If they are working on things, they are going at a snail's pace.

While I often talk about the high-end pro market (because I used to be more involved in it), my current needs don't involve a Mac Pro, nor can I justify the cost. Maybe that will change. That said, I'm going to have to buy an old Mac Pro because Apple makes nothing else suitable. That kind of sucks, even if you think there is no market for alternate machines (I disagree). But, it does make sense in terms of consumers/prosumers going to iOS, power-users going Mac (at least for now).
  • Reply 145 of 149
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Tim:  "Next year we're going to TRIPLE DOWN."
    cgWerks
  • Reply 146 of 149
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    cgWerks said:

Maybe we saw a different keynote? Can you name a few things?
    Intellectually dishonest. You're purposely acting like there were zero useful features announced in two and a half hours, when you KNOW there were. They're just not what you wanted to hear, so you're pretending like they were nothing.

cgWerks said:

They have so much aggregated data from different sources, they don't need browser fingerprinting or some metadata to track you anymore. It's helpful, but isn't going to kill off their tracking capabilities. Maybe if you also use a VPN and could turn off all your other apps and services. Or, use a clean VM build over a VPN.
    I said "cross-site tracking", using the Facebook API stuff that 3rd party sites embed. I don't think you're talking about the same thing Apple and I are.

cgWerks said:

How does it matter what is happening internally? That 4+ year old hardware needs an update is myopic? How many years does it take to update a CPU and ports?
    They could have easily chopped out about 70% of what they showed to make room for something important.
    The Mac mini is the only thing coming up on 4 years out of date that we haven't heard any timeline on. Are you that desperate for a Mac mini right now? You've stated it's not a Mac Pro that you want, so it must be the mini. Right?

cgWerks said:

Yea, you're right... I don't get it. I'm over 5 years old and have actual work to get done (unlike Apple's new target market, I guess).
    I'm sure they'll make some fun stuff with that the kids will love, but I was hoping for more, too.
    You certainly act like a 5 year old, petulant and stomping your feet about how you want it your way, and that everyone else is lesser for finding value in things that literally millions and millions of people will use every day without issue to get their work done. It's sad, really.
    edited June 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 147 of 149
    cgWerks said:

Maybe we saw a different keynote? Can you name a few things?
    Intellectually dishonest. You're purposely acting like there were zero useful features announced in two and a half hours, when you KNOW there were. They're just not what you wanted to hear, so you're pretending like they were nothing. 
    I said most was visual stuff or minor updates to apps (that I don't think deserved the time, especially if there was just 'too much to fit everything'). Aside from a few things I think I've already mentioned, I'm curious what you think was so important it couldn't have been cut out.

fastasleep said:
    I said "cross-site tracking", using the Facebook API stuff that 3rd party sites embed. I don't think you're talking about the same thing Apple and I are. 
    I agree. I think FBs tracking stuff is much deeper than what this will fix (though it will help, yes), and FB and others buy tons of data from other companies to fill in the gaps. So, while you might avoid a FB embed, FB will just get that data from the mortgage you took out or Equifax or your last grocery store run.

It isn't a bad move, but I don't think it will fix the problem... and might give people a false sense of security in the way it is portrayed. (Also, it's already available in other browsers like Brave, maybe partly in Firefox... but certainly good if it is built into a default app.)

fastasleep said:
    The Mac mini is the only thing coming up on 4 years out of date that we haven't heard any timeline on. Are you that desperate for a Mac mini right now? You've stated it's not a Mac Pro that you want, so it must be the mini. Right? 
    Personally, yes. If the Mini were updated, it would probably meet my needs and save me a bunch of cash. Also, if the MBPs had quad-core in the 13", I might consider it too. If the 21" iMac had quad-core (like the base model one I sold a few years back) and a low-enough power CPU/good thermals, it might work too (though I'd miss the video input, so that's my last choice). Or, even if they had updated the cylinder Mac Pro with TB3 along the way, I'd feel a bit better about what I'm about to invest in one.

But, my point (outside my personal needs), is that given the situation the Mac has been in for a while now, they could have cut any number of relatively frivolous things out of that presentation to make time to give some updates and news about what they are doing for the Mac to demonstrate their words that it is important to them. We Mac people need some love, not just words!

fastasleep said:
    You certainly act like a 5 year old, petulant and stomping your feet about how you want it your way, and that everyone else is lesser for finding value in things that literally millions and millions of people will use every day without issue to get their work done. It's sad, really.
    Memoji might be fun, but can you explain how it helps get work done?

Again, it isn't that I don't value Apple's efforts to make fun things for kids and even adults... but more in their prioritizing of them. When I hear people talking about there being 'so much stuff' that Apple couldn't cram it all in... and then we have a, what, 20-30 minute Mimoji demo, it gets kind of hard to take the statement seriously. And there was a bunch of stuff that falls into that category. All of it is fine on it's own, but didn't merit the time spent on it for such a big event (unless they had nothing else to show).
  • Reply 148 of 149
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    cgWerks said:

But, my point (outside my personal needs), is that given the situation the Mac has been in for a while now, they could have cut any number of relatively frivolous things out of that presentation to make time to give some updates and news about what they are doing for the Mac to demonstrate their words that it is important to them. We Mac people need some love, not just words!

[...]

Memoji might be fun, but can you explain how it helps get work done?

Again, intellectually dishonest. They spent plenty of time talking about lower level fundamental changes that affect everyone. They did not spend 30 minutes on Memoji. You're flat out lying at this point. 

They don't need to talk more about "what they are doing" because they are just doing as Apple does. The only thing unexplained at this point is the mini. Any reasonable person would say, "Oh, I guess I need to wait a bit longer to find out if the mini is getting an update or if it gets discontinued." and move on with their lives.

Memoji isn't supposed to get work done! Not everything that a computer does is supposed to be work-related. Fuck, you're even a gamer and asking this question, how embarrassing.

THIS is why people think you're a troll.
    edited June 2018 Soli
  • Reply 149 of 149
    fastasleep said:
    Again, intellectually dishonest. They spent plenty of time talking about lower level fundamental changes that affect everyone. They did not spend 30 minutes on Memoji. You're flat out lying at this point. 

They don't need to talk more about "what they are doing" because they are just doing as Apple does. The only thing unexplained at this point is the mini. Any reasonable person would say, "Oh, I guess I need to wait a bit longer to find out if the mini is getting an update or if it gets discontinued." and move on with their lives.

Memoji isn't supposed to get work done! Not everything that a computer does is supposed to be work-related. Fuck, you're even a gamer and asking this question, how embarrassing.

THIS is why people think you're a troll.
    Ok, let me try this one more time, real simple-like...
    There were a bunch of things in the 2.5 hours that were less important than the state of the Mac.