Class action claims all Apple Watches are defective

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    I wonder if all those people whose lives have been saved by Apple Watch knew it was defective.
    jbdragonSolipscooter63GeorgeBMacmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 62
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Because Apple loves spending money on detective products only to lose even more money in the courtroom! /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    We thew away two Apple Watches in our household (given as Xmas presents and both less than a year old when the exact same faults developed) because both watches split apart and Apple support (telephonically deduced) the faults of that nature were typically due to user misuse and refused to service them without my depositing a sum of money (which actually exceeded the retail cost of new units) to cover the cost of repairs. We were told the deposit was required in case the fault(s) were found to be from misuse and that any service charge would be taken from the deposit. We knew the fault was due to a design flaw and I didn't want to risk Apple charging us for what amounted to more than the purchasing of two brand new watches. So, the rubbish bin it was. I went through a similar ordeal with a pair of AirPods which started misbehaving. I decided on balance it would be less hassle to bin them also. I used to trust Apple engineering and was happy to pay a premium for build quality. However, Apple is getting far too accustomed to glues. This is a sign of bad design and terrible engineering. Unlike Apple products of yesteryear these new products devalue rapidly.
    eji
  • Reply 24 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    As a supposed design defect, this should be relatively easy to clear up. Have the design evaluated by an external, independent body and see if the claims hold water. Then take it from there.

Apple has been in this situation before. It is nowhere near new to them.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/03/apple_grilled_over_ibook_g4_logicboard_deaths

If there really is evidence of Apple supposedly knowing about the design problem (supposing it even exists) and ignoring it, it will emerge if the case progesses far enough.

But first get a lab to evaluate the design and see if there is a real, identifiable issue with it. 

• Reply 25 of 62
    f1ferrarif1ferrari Posts: 262member
    My wife and I both had Series 0 Watches almost from release and have moved to Series 3 when it came out. Our original Watches have been passed on and are used daily by their new owners, and none of these 4 have had even the first signs of this happening.
    netmagejbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    I did have this issue on a Series 0, and Apple gave me nothing but the runaround.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 27 of 62
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    macxpress said:
    Of course, the "Me Too" crowd is very popular these days so I wouldn't be surprised if this results in a major issue all of a sudden. 
    I’m on my 2nd Apple Watch. Never had this problem. But, be careful with the “Me Too” statement. 
    netmage
  • Reply 28 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    ALL Apple watches? Tort lawyers like to dramatize, inflate, and misdirect, and mislead. That's how they convince stupid juries.
    melgross said:
    I know a fair number of people with the Apple Watch, and none of us have had this problem. We know it happens, but there are tens of millions of these watches out there. If it was a really serious problem we would have heard more about it.
    Well, when the truth is mundane, is doesn’t make for a big settlement, so you have to inflate (and confabulate) a bit....

I’m curious as to how often this is actually happening and how soon. Even a low failure rate can be significant - If 99.9% of the watches are perfectly fine, that would still mean a whole lot of watches had problems.  I’m guessing these must be devices that are out of warranty which poses an interesting question. A warranty states that the manufacturer is responsible for covered problems during that time period, but how much is a manufacturer legally liable for after that? I would think nothing (legally speaking,) but lawyers don’t think links most folk...

I live in a fairly new development. The water heaters that the builder installed had a 6 year warranty and a bunch of people had their water heaters start leaking at 6 ½ - 7 years. Maybe we should file a class action suit...
    melgross
  • Reply 29 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I'm wearing my Orignal Apple Watch now and I wear it every day.  It gets bumped a lot at work.  A few minor scratches on the screen.  Other than that, still working good.  Hasn't bulged out.  Gets charged every night.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    eji said:
    I did have this issue on a Series 0, and Apple gave me nothing but the runaround.
    That seems so much unlike Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 62
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Happened to my series 0 after I moved to the Philippines; a very hot and humid environment.  The battery swelled and popped the screen off.  It was one of the very first manufactured, received on that day back when everyone was going unboxing videos.  Was that April 24, 2015?  Seem to recall that as the date.  I drive a series 2 Nike Edition now.  Love it.  Nothing lasts forever. 
    Troll.... I don't believe you even have an Apple Watch. 

/s
    ;)
  • Reply 32 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I know close to 2 dozen people with Watches that have never had this issue so saying it affects every Watch makes this case highly suspect. I'm sure it exists, and if it really happens days or weeks after purchase (which would mean some are opening them up to see the pieces separated? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), then your factory warranty would take care of this, and it would just make Apple look bad and cost them a lot of money to have shipped such a problematic product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 62
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    lkrupp said:
    aimbdd said:
    I had this happen to my original series 0 Watch, not fun. They wouldn’t replace it. Glue failed on a $600 Watch a month after the warranty expires and they could care less. 
    Meanwhile I've had my series 0 (48mm stainless steel with Milanese band which w/AppleCare cost almost $800) since June 2015 with no issues at all. Battery holds charge all day, usually still has 40% charge left when I put it on the charger at night. I guess that cancels out your experience. And so you decided not to repair it since Apple declined to out of warranty? Do you still have the watch? Do you sit around all day cursing Apple now? In another post you said the battery swelled? So which is it?
    I also have the series zero. works great except the breathe app only fires about 1 time per month. All else is fine, and mine is the aluminum model. 11 watch bands and counting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 62
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chaicka said:
    I have even bath with Series 0 on a few rare occasions when I forgotten I was wearing it and step into the shower. Till date, it is still working well despite not being certified as water resistant.
    I think Apple never had it certified or marketed it because they don't want the responsibility, especially since they didn't have the ability to remove water by vibrating the speaker. Even with the iPhone's IP rating they still don't offer the warranty for the water sensors being triggered. It terms of sealing the internal components from water and dust ingress they all look the same to me on the iFixit teardowns.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 62
    lancsguylancsguy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Well my Apple series 3 cracked around one corner edge after 6 weeks. I sit at desk most days but do go swimming. I obvoiosly can't say for certain that I didn't catch it on something becuase its on my wrist and I'm not paying attention but from the marketing I thought these were sports watches and pretty robust?. I have always loved Apple and bought apple products for years but they refused to fix my screen without me paying approx £240.00 and have felt badly treated by them on this occasion and it has soured my relationship with them. My argument is that watches should be pretty robust... like if I had bought a pair of shoes and after 6 weeks there was a hole in them I would expect a refund becuase they should last longer, and in the same way these watches should and if they don't Apple should fix for free, at least for the first 12 months. This surely cannot cost them much compared to the money they make, unless there really are a lot of crappy watches out there?
    avon b7
  • Reply 36 of 62
    dv8ordv8or Posts: 26member
    I have owned an apple watch since they first came out and mine has been in the sea (despite it not being waterproof supposedly) in pools and not a thing wrong with it... not sure where this is coming from? Everyone I know has had no such issues.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 62
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    We thew away two Apple Watches in our household (given as Xmas presents and both less than a year old when the exact same faults developed) because both watches split apart and Apple support (telephonically deduced) the faults of that nature were typically due to user misuse and refused to service them without my depositing a sum of money (which actually exceeded the retail cost of new units) to cover the cost of repairs. We were told the deposit was required in case the fault(s) were found to be from misuse and that any service charge would be taken from the deposit. We knew the fault was due to a design flaw and I didn't want to risk Apple charging us for what amounted to more than the purchasing of two brand new watches. So, the rubbish bin it was. I went through a similar ordeal with a pair of AirPods which started misbehaving. I decided on balance it would be less hassle to bin them also. I used to trust Apple engineering and was happy to pay a premium for build quality. However, Apple is getting far too accustomed to glues. This is a sign of bad design and terrible engineering. Unlike Apple products of yesteryear these new products devalue rapidly.
    That's funny, I've used my AirPods since the first day they were available, and not a single problem with them. This despite the fact that if you do any metal work, you'll find iron dust collecting around the magnets in the case, which are not easy to wipe off. Still, no problems. The case has a nice patina of scuffs and scratches from being constantly in my pocket with a bunch of other stuff. In other words, they've had a hard life, but maybe not as bad as the treatment you were giving yours.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 62
    I have a Series 3 Cellular, and I have never even seen this thing hiccup once. I do my dishes by hand (submerging the watch in hot, soapy water), take showers with it, and workout with it; and I have yet to see an issue with it. This really does seem like a money grab to me.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So we have all these anecdotal reports in this thread, both good and bad, that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I like to know how this lawsuit intends to prove that all Apple Watches are defective. I guess they pay some obscure hardware design "expert" to trash Apple but is that proof?

As usual, though, the negativity of the Internet runs wild once again. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Happened to my series 0 after I moved to the Philippines; a very hot and humid environment.  The battery swelled and popped the screen off.  It was one of the very first manufactured, received on that day back when everyone was going unboxing videos.  Was that April 24, 2015?  Seem to recall that as the date.  I drive a series 2 Nike Edition now.  Love it.  Nothing lasts forever. 
    I’m having a Series 0, wearing it every single day since 2015, workout 4 times a week and I’m living in the Philippines as well. It runs on WatchOS 4+ and if it would run with WatchOS 5, I would have no reason to upgrade. 
    watto_cobra