Video: Changes to the MacBook Pro we want Apple to make

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 70member
    The article is entitled, iTunes for Mac:if you’re having trouble burning a disc.
  • Reply 122 of 162
    I see that fastasleep is referring to Jonny Evans from Computerworld, concerned customers of Apple that are asking for help, and thousands of  people that have asked for updates as, hand-wringing, doomsaying, Morons! Really? Over a discussion on Apple and technology? That’s a very immature, idiotic, classless, and disrespectful thing to say about people that you don’t even know! Do you normally insult those that don’t agree with you, and make denigrating remarks about their intelligence? This says more about you, than anyone else. Wow!
  • Reply 123 of 162
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    macike said:
    The article is entitled, iTunes for Mac:if you’re having trouble burning a disc.
    That article says "If your playlist includes iTunes Store purchases with DRM protection..."

"IF" is the operative word there. It doesn't say that iTunes purchases are copy protected NOW, just that they were until almost a decade ago, and IF you still have any, you can only burn them to CD seven times.

These says there's no reason a playlist WOULD include a DRM protected track unless one hasn't bothered to download an updated version in the intervening nine years since DRM was lifted.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 124 of 162
    Although songs are now iTunes plus, you can only get a DRM-free copy IF, the operative word here, you have a Music match subscription and the songs must show as matched or purchased in your iTunes library. I have 1,000’s of songs and 100’s of CD’s that are not Music-matched, and  many people don’t subscribe to Music match plus iTunes Music.
  • Reply 125 of 162
    To download iTunes Plus Videos, you must deselect “Download High Quality  SD Videos in iTunes preferences. These Videos are not compatible with all older iPods, and contain DRM. This article is dated as May8,  2017.
  • Reply 126 of 162
    I buy many CD’s directly from DJ’s that are Custom-made, with 10-15 songs(all Hits) by assorted artists. Many aren’t World-wide or even nationally-known. Most of the time, Music Match doesn’t have them, but I want/need to duplicate the disc and keep the original. I often have to use “Burn”, Roxio Toast,or other software to make copies.
  • Reply 127 of 162
    macike said:
    Although songs are now iTunes plus, you can only get a DRM-free copy IF, the operative word here, you have a Music match subscription and the songs must show as matched or purchased in your iTunes library. I have 1,000’s of songs and 100’s of CD’s that are not Music-matched, and  many people don’t subscribe to Music match plus iTunes Music.
    That's not correct. Any music purchased through the iTunes Store can be replaced at any time with no additional services or subscriptions required. You just have to delete the old one and go to the "Purchased" tab in the iTunes Store.
    edited June 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 128 of 162
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    macike said:
    I see that fastasleep is referring to Jonny Evans from Computerworld, concerned customers of Apple that are asking for help, and thousands of  people that have asked for updates as, hand-wringing, doomsaying, Morons! Really? Over a discussion on Apple and technology? That’s a very immature, idiotic, classless, and disrespectful thing to say about people that you don’t even know! Do you normally insult those that don’t agree with you, and make denigrating remarks about their intelligence? This says more about you, than anyone else. Wow!
    I’m talking specifically about bloggers who continually feed knee-jerk reactionary FUD into the community. There is a lot of bad information out there, and thus a lot of misinformed consumers, who I am not saying are morons. Just the clickbait FUD bloggers. 

I notice you are completely ignoring the fact Apple updated DVD player to 64bit in Mojave though, which was the crux of your whole argument that came from said bloggers.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 129 of 162

macike said:
    To download iTunes Plus Videos, you must deselect “Download High Quality  SD Videos in iTunes preferences. These Videos are not compatible with all older iPods, and contain DRM. This article is dated as May8,  2017.
    iTunes video content is DRM protected. Music purchases are not. . 
  • Reply 130 of 162
    macike said:
    Apple should be updating their own software. Much of it still hasn’t been.
    Such as?
  • Reply 131 of 162
    How many times do you want me to mention Quick-Time player, and IDVD? Jonny Evans, and others mentioned them, which I referred to. The article from Apple.com, dated May 8, 2017, clearly stated, that your purchases that were DRM-protected, cannot be converted unless you are a Music Match subscriber, and the song must show as matched or purchased in your library. That’s straight from Apple, you can’t disprove Apple’s statements by simply disagreeing with them. Your statement says that a subscription isn’t necessary, and Apple says that it is. 
  • Reply 132 of 162
    DVD Player hadn’t been updated since 2015, Mr. Evans mentioned that, too.
  • Reply 133 of 162
    Jason Snell wrote an article on April 18, 2018 on Macworld.com, stating the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit Technology, means the end to oldies-but-goodies like QuickTime Player 7. The title of the article is,: Quick Time Player 7: Goodbye to Apple’s brushed-metal dinosaur. He said the writing has been on the wall since the release of Snow Leopard in 2009. In 2009, when QuickTime Player X was introduced, Quick Time Player 7 has been an optional installation that has hid away in the utilities folder, and has survived without being updated. Jason said that Quick Time Player X doesn’t offer some of the features of QT Player 7, and that QT 7, “as a quick and dirty video clipping tool,it’s hard to beat”! Who still uses Quick Time Player 7? Everyone from podcasters to, oh, Lucasfilm’s Industrial Light and Magic. Direct quotes from Jason Snell and Macworld! Jason said that he wishes that he could hold out hope that someone at Apple really does care about basic tools like this. Now, you tell me why I, or anybody else should have expected an update! Oh yeah, Jason was lead editor at Macworld for more than a decade! So why should I believe fastasleep,  or Tallest Skil over Jason and Jonny Evans!
  • Reply 134 of 162
    In order to convert a song into a non- DRM version, the song or album must also still be available in the iTunes Store; not only must you have iTunes Match. 
  • Reply 135 of 162
    macike said:
    In order to convert a song into a non- DRM version, the song or album must also still be available in the iTunes Store; not only must you have iTunes Match. 
    You've either misunderstood comments about iTunes Match being required to update songs with DRM or the author was wrong. It's simply not true. Don't take my word for it, try it! It works.

You're right that the song must still be available on iTunes, but anyone who's waited roughly nine years to get around to it isn't really in a position to complain, hm?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 136 of 162
    macike said:
    How many times do you want me to mention Quick-Time player, and IDVD? Jonny Evans, and others mentioned them, which I referred to. 
    macike said:
    Jason Snell wrote an article on April 18, 2018 on Macworld.com, stating the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit Technology, means the end to oldies-but-goodies like QuickTime Player 7. The title of the article is,: Quick Time Player 7: Goodbye to Apple’s brushed-metal dinosaur. He said the writing has been on the wall since the release of Snow Leopard in 2009. In 2009, when QuickTime Player X was introduced, Quick Time Player 7 has been an optional installation that has hid away in the utilities folder, and has survived without being updated. Jason said that Quick Time Player X doesn’t offer some of the features of QT Player 7, and that QT 7, “as a quick and dirty video clipping tool,it’s hard to beat”! Who still uses Quick Time Player 7? Everyone from podcasters to, oh, Lucasfilm’s Industrial Light and Magic. Direct quotes from Jason Snell and Macworld! Jason said that he wishes that he could hold out hope that someone at Apple really does care about basic tools like this. Now, you tell me why I, or anybody else should have expected an update! Oh yeah, Jason was lead editor at Macworld for more than a decade! So why should I believe fastasleep,  or Tallest Skil over Jason and Jonny Evans!
    iDVD was discontinued what, 7+ years ago? It's time to move on to something else, they're most definitely not going to update that software.

QuickTime Player 7 was last updated like 9 years ago. Yes, it had some handy features, and maybe Apple will update the current QuickTime Player to include some of those functions at some point. Maybe they already have or will in Mojave (or the subsequent release) but I haven't seen anyone check for sure. Maybe not.

Either way, if you rely on these ancient tools for some reason, run an older macOS in a virtual machine so you can access 32bit apps. Problem solved. I'd personally just find a suitable modern replacement though.

macike said:
    DVD Player hadn’t been updated since 2015, Mr. Evans mentioned that, too.
    Not sure how you missed this on the last page of comments, but this is 100% wrong with the release of Mojave:

macike said:
    The article from Apple.com, dated May 8, 2017, clearly stated, that your purchases that were DRM-protected, cannot be converted unless you are a Music Match subscriber, and the song must show as matched or purchased in your library. That’s straight from Apple, you can’t disprove Apple’s statements by simply disagreeing with them. Your statement says that a subscription isn’t necessary, and Apple says that it is. 
    You absolutely do not need iTunes Match or Apple Music (there is no "Music Match"). Show us the Apple statement that says Match is required to remove DRM. Of course it needs to be available in the iTunes Store if you're going to update a DRM copy, which you've been sitting on for nearly a decade instead of updating anyway, where else would it download from if it's not in the Store?
  • Reply 137 of 162
    I gave references to everything I said. I even gave dates and authors. It is Apple Inc. It is entitled, About iTunes Plus. It’s part of the Apple Support Communities. I don’t have to, and won’t lie. I’m quoting directly from Apple support articles, or from authoritative websites such as Macworld and Computerworld. I don’t know what else you need for verification, that’s more reliable than Apple itself. You’re more than welcome to read it for yourselves. It’s titled, About iTunes Plus-Apple Support. I believe Apple over you, any day, every day. I knew you were wrong, because I had recently read every source and reference that I quoted or referred to. Published date: May 8, 2017. Apple stated it, or reputable Apple Experts did.
  • Reply 138 of 162
    Jason Snell mentioned that Industrial Light and Magic still uses and relies on Quick Time 7, and I’m sure they are very knowledgeable about their tools. Who are you, to criticize why they use it, instead of using something else? They are at the pinnacle of innovation. You’re making my argument about the doubts about whether the software would be upgraded, since it has been neglected for so long. 
  • Reply 139 of 162
    By the way, anybody can make statements on Twitter, even though Stroughton-Smith has been gaining notoriety, lately. My sources are proven ones, such as Macworld, Computerworld, Ars Technica, Anandtech, etc.. I don’t hold Twitter contributors, or Wikipedia entrants in the same regard as sources such as those. Ming Chi Kuo, Gene Munster, and even Bloomberg and CNN have been very wrong, as connected as they are. I’ll stick with those that write about, and have been following Apple daily for 10-25 years!
  • Reply 140 of 162
    macike said:
    I gave references to everything I said. I even gave dates and authors. It is Apple Inc. It is entitled, About iTunes Plus. It’s part of the Apple Support Communities. I don’t have to, and won’t lie. I’m quoting directly from Apple support articles, or from authoritative websites such as Macworld and Computerworld. I don’t know what else you need for verification, that’s more reliable than Apple itself. You’re more than welcome to read it for yourselves. It’s titled, About iTunes Plus-Apple Support. I believe Apple over you, any day, every day. I knew you were wrong, because I had recently read every source and reference that I quoted or referred to. Published date: May 8, 2017. Apple stated it, or reputable Apple Experts did.
    Okay, look — up to some point, at least, you could just delete your DRM purchases and re-download from the store and they'd be DRM free. Everyone in the world pretty much did this a decade ago, so if the isn't the case now, then the random holdout for whatever reason can pay $25 and do it with their entire collection in one fell swoop, and cancel Match if they don't want to keep it. It's NOT a big deal. 

macike said:
    Jason Snell mentioned that Industrial Light and Magic still uses and relies on Quick Time 7, and I’m sure they are very knowledgeable about their tools. Who are you, to criticize why they use it, instead of using something else? They are at the pinnacle of innovation. You’re making my argument about the doubts about whether the software would be upgraded, since it has been neglected for so long. 
    If Jason Snell jumped off a bridge would you too? He is experienced and a good writer, but he's also often handwringy over things like these historically. Maybe some people at ILM use QT7 for quick to reach features, but there is no way they are dependent on QT7 to make Star Wars movies or anything like that. There are other tools that do the same jobs. QT7 is just a handy low-impact tool that does some common tasks easily. I used to use it all the time, but I use other software for those things now in general. AGAIN, we don't know that Apple won't update QuickTime Player to have some if not all of these functions by the time 32bit apps are fully verboten. They already moved some QT features (screen recording) to the Finder, so that has to be at least partly on their radar, whether it ends up getting those features or not. 

macike said:
    By the way, anybody can make statements on Twitter, even though Stroughton-Smith has been gaining notoriety, lately. My sources are proven ones, such as Macworld, Computerworld, Ars Technica, Anandtech, etc.. I don’t hold Twitter contributors, or Wikipedia entrants in the same regard as sources such as those. Ming Chi Kuo, Gene Munster, and even Bloomberg and CNN have been very wrong, as connected as they are. I’ll stick with those that write about, and have been following Apple daily for 10-25 years!
    OMG seriously, he posted a goddamned screenshot of the new version of DVD Player in the Mojave beta. Are you suggesting he faked it? LOL He posted details too: "/System/Library/CoreServices/Applications, version 6.0 is 64-bit, re-written with AppKit, supports Touch Bar! Also has a super boring icon (the optical disc icon)" — you think this is fake news? Get real.

Btw 10-25 years? How do you have a 20 year gap in your range of when you've been following Apple? ;}