Startup seeks $200,000 from Apple over 'stolen' Shortcuts app icon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Look nothing alike to me.
    LukeCagejony0
  • Reply 22 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Also for those saying they are the same colour.. those colours are pulled from the Siri logo. 
    lamboaudi4directhacker
  • Reply 23 of 76
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    All they need to do is change the color and they're good to go...
  • Reply 24 of 76
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’ve concluded I needed to go into logo design.

For a limited time I’ll be discounting my rate to $150,000.

Act NOW!
    radarthekatracerhomie3jony0
  • Reply 25 of 76
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    kevin kee said:
    LukeCage said:
    Apple's shortcut icon looks nothing like shifts icon, or maybe i'm missing something 
    You probably missed the bigger picture here. People try to get a slice of Apple's 200+ billion cash one way or another.
    No I’m well aware how people feel like they deserve Apple’s hard earn cash. However $200,000 is not doing it right, someone needs to tell these guys to start at a ridiculous price and bargain down. 
  • Reply 26 of 76
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not seeing it myself. 

I look at the Apple logo and I see the letter “S”. 

I look at the Shift logo and I think “That cost $200,000??”

I at least hope they got a nice 100 page book about the design decisions to create the Shift logo. Is it by Paul Rand?

/s

• Reply 27 of 76
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    On a related note, it's a small thing, but I was pretty impressed with the logos that were actually shown at WWDC. The logos for the new apps, as well as the various SDK kits really seemed so classy.
    gilly017jony0
  • Reply 28 of 76
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    The blockchain + <insert existing idea> business model isn’t working out so well for them?
    racerhomie3jony0
  • Reply 29 of 76
    capasicumcapasicum Posts: 92member
    wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    From a legal standpoint paying up would be a huge mistake as later on that could be used in court as proof that Apple already admitted to infringement.

Also, it will be a precedent that many more companies will try to exploit.

edited June 2018
  • Reply 30 of 76
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    a) doesn’t look anything like the other logo
    b) shift’s logo is ugly 
  • Reply 31 of 76
    mbenz1962mbenz1962 Posts: 171member
    LukeCage said:
    kevin kee said:
    LukeCage said:
    Apple's shortcut icon looks nothing like shifts icon, or maybe i'm missing something 
    You probably missed the bigger picture here. People try to get a slice of Apple's 200+ billion cash one way or another.
    No I’m well aware how people feel like they deserve Apple’s hard earn cash. However $200,000 is not doing it right, someone needs to tell these guys to start at a ridiculous price and bargain down. 
    They did.  $200k for that fugly logo...hahaha
  • Reply 32 of 76
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    First of all about the similarity of the logos: NO. And 200,000? Just recently did a web search for logo design prices and found I could have a professional do me some logos for approximately 200€. 😄 
  • Reply 33 of 76
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    LukeCage said:
    kevin kee said:
    LukeCage said:
    Oh, I think they did. 
  • Reply 34 of 76
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Apple certainly cribbed the general idea of creating the abstract S, however type into google 'logos that look similar' and you'll find plenty of logos more similar that the the shortcuts. Nothing to see here.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    What Would Steve Do?
  • Reply 36 of 76
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    zomp said:
    Inspired by shift’s, but def different. 
    Sasung’s first phones was definitely inspired by Apple - Apple didn’t win that case. 
    Yes — inspired not copied. You can see similarities in the auto industry as well. Apple might have seen Shift's logo and said 'Hey, that could have been something. We can make it better' and did.

wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    I'd be surprised if Apple paid up. It's pretty obvious they didn't copy anything. They just made a better version. It's not like naming a wide screen iPod with touch controls/revolutionary mobile phone/internet communicator– 'iPhone'.

And they should body slam the startup in court to teach them not to come round for a handout. Apple already takes the hit for being Apple. Why not get in a deserved punch to a troll's throat.

$200K isn't couch-coin, not even pocket lint for Apple.  It would be cheaper to settle rather than go to court, but throw Shift a bone and nuisance suits will be100 deep instead of 50.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Consider Apple’s icons for phone, message, address book, calendar, mail etc.   all of which have been blatantly copied by Samsung and every other phone maker.  No compensation from them. So don’t expect any money from Apple just because it has similar colours but a totally different design. Isn’t going to happen. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It has got to be a very common glyph, I’m sure.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    I’ve concluded I needed to go into logo design.

For a limited time I’ll be discounting my rate to $150,000.

Act NOW!
    agreed, these guys need desperately a logo design course :-)
  • Reply 40 of 76
    gremlingremlin Posts: 64member
    Cute move: everyone here now knows their logo, their name and what they make.  It's highly unlikely they will get anything from apple but they have already won in the brand recognition game.  Hats off to them on getting us all to play their game.