Apple Maps extends to the web with MapKit JS beta

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I'm going to give @seanismorris the benefit of the doubt and assume he heard East in reference to a road labeled East.
    Even so, such stupidity in passing incorrect judgement warrants no benefit.
    I'm interested in how he could've come to that conclusion, over just calling him stupid for having made an incorrect assessment.
    I know a hater when I see one, and have noted it from him before. 

But even if he wasn’t blindly hating, to make such a stupid mistake here, on a techie site dedicated to  esoteric detail, doesn’t warrant much interest on my end. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Soli said:

Soli said:
    So, will Apple offer their own website with a public mapping option, or are they expecting some startup do do the work to create a new mapping website powered by their MapKitJS?
    What’s the value for Apple to do so? To get directions I use my iphone and native Maps. If at my desktop Mac I use Maps and then push them to my iphone.
    Well, I'm not sure how it works now, but if you share Maps data with someone via iOS or macOS to another device it will start off as a maps.apple.com/ link which will then open into Google Maps.

I'd love for that to open into an Apple Maps website so that 1) everything is consistent, 2) Google not getting any additional data on users, and 3) no ads. It would also allow those that can't spend all day on iOS or macOS, like those that use Windows or Linux at work to be able to access Apple Maps directly in a browser. Again, the benefits are consistency, a lack of tracking, and no ads.
    I don’t see why Apple would foot the bill to host an ad-free, mapping service to compete with Google for users outside its own ecosystem. Apple generally provides services for customers using its devices. Once I send that link off to the recipient, the value-add to me the apple customers ends. if they’re not on an Apple device and see ads, it doesn’t affect me the apple customer/user. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 36
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    I’ve been using Google Maps (almost exclusively) for years.  I recently gave Apple Maps another try.  The directions were “turn East at the upcoming intersection”... etc.

So, not only am I unfamiliar with my surroundings Apple wants me to find where the F’n sun is?

Edit: never mind.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 24 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I'm going to give @seanismorris the benefit of the doubt and assume he heard East in reference to a road labeled East.
    Even so, such stupidity in passing incorrect judgement warrants no benefit.
    I'm interested in how he could've come to that conclusion, over just calling him stupid for having made an incorrect assessment.
    Really? I'm sure it's not that interesting. He has a history of constantly shitting on Apple using weak or false rationalizations, and he used his "assessment" as a launching pad to compose a whole screed of victimization after his absurd "conclusion" of Apple maps not having the capability to inform users of a left/right turn. There's nothing genuine, sincere, or objective about it. These kinds of trolls are the most boring and predictable types, they don't warrant any curiosity or benefit of the double. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    Really?

turn East at the upcoming intersection

If it was a road called East the Apple Maps would say “turn left on to East Road”  

He’s making it up. 

watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 26 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:
    Really?
    turn East at the upcoming intersection

If it was a road called East the Apple Maps would say “turn left on to East Road”  

He’s making it up. 

As I stated, I think he probably heard East in reference to a road label, not "turn East at the upcoming intersection." No, it wouldn't have to necessarily be preempted with a left or right statement. Interstates, for example, can have very complex junctions where can be directed to proceed forward which will become East <road_name>, sometimes on a curve long and gradual enough to where the driver doesn't even realize they've made a turn, or sometimes just wonky naming conventions. While I personally have well above average spatial awareness, to my frustration most people do not; add to that all the other aspects of driving and I can easily see how someone may not hear (or at least consciously process) all the words stated when directions are given.

But maybe you're right. Maybe he's just outright lying and has never used Apple Maps in his life. I think that's less likely over someone who didn't hear (or process) every part of a conversation, but that's me. Surely you agree that people can only hear part of something said and then make an assumption based on incomplete data? How many sitcom episodes are based on that premise?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    I’ve been using Google Maps (almost exclusively) for years.  I recently gave Apple Maps another try.  The directions were “turn East at the upcoming intersection”... etc.

So, not only am I unfamiliar with my surroundings Apple wants me to find where the F’n sun is?

Maybe I’ll give Apple Maps a try in another few years... when they figure out how to use Left/Right for directions.

Maybe Apple will do better with their website embedded maps...
    The first thing Google Maps says to me when I start a trip from my home is "Head northwest to Xyzzy Way".  Why?  Because I haven't moved yet and it doesn't know which way I'm facing.  After that, it uses left and right for directions.  I suspect Apple Maps did the same thing to you.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 28 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    That didn’t happen. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 29 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    This is great, and I look forward to implementing Maps on the web instead of Google.  I do wonder how much resistance there will be from clients/users who are used to Google Maps and being able to integrate directly with their Google accounts, and it’s cross platform. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Maybe I’ll give Apple Maps a try in another few years... when they figure out how to use Left/Right for directions.

I have used Apple maps almost daily since it’s release. At one point using it to make deliveries. I have NEVER heard it say turn east or any other direction like that. The only time I’ve heard a direction mentioned is if it was an exit off the interstate or on ramp like take I-10 East. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    StrangeDays said:
    "...who cares if you’re tired of waiting for unannounced features? It’s not your company, and you’re not involved with the projects and challenges, so your position of being tired is completely irrelevant... " 

"...why are you still here? What’s stopping you from getting a Dell and a Pixel and some chinese knockoff AirPods?..."

" ...such stupidity in passing incorrect judgement warrants no benefit..."

"...I know a hater when I see one, and have noted it from him before..."

"...I don’t see why Apple would foot the bill to host an ad-free, mapping service to compete with Google for users outside its own ecosystem. 
    if they’re not on an Apple device and see ads, it doesn’t affect me the apple customer/user."
    Why is Apple Music available on other platforms? Perhaps to you it wouldn't make any sense, but it did to Apple. As you often point out to others here Apple isn't going to do only what StrangeDays thinks makes sense. Example: Parental Controls in iOS 12.

We're all just commenters on a blog site. Apple doesn't doesn't pay any more attention to you than they do Soli or me or Patchy or any other AI member. It's silly to bully and ridicule others over things you have no idea whether they will do or not and having zero idea what Apple's executive team sees as the pluses and minuses.  None of us are part of management as far as I know unless you're keeping a secret from the rest of us.

All those quotes above are from you in just this single short thread of only 30 posts. Perhaps you don't recognize just how you sound in passing final judgment using bully tactics on so many other posters, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were just unaware.
    edited June 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 32 of 36
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    gatorguy said:
    Why is Apple Music available on other platforms?
    Because Apple can still generate income from Apple Music on other platforms.  Back to the original question, "Why would Apple make a free web based mapping platform?"  It doesn't make any sense, unless there is some way it would generate income or provide value to existing Apple customers.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    nicholfd said:
    gatorguy said:
    Because Apple can still generate income from Apple Music on other platforms.  Back to the original question, "Why would Apple make a free web based mapping platform?"  It doesn't make any sense, unless there is some way it would generate income or provide value to existing Apple customers.
    What you probably meant is it doesn't make sense to you, and you're probably not alone.  Not that I've pondered the question myself but I don't see obvious reasons for doing so either. That doesn't mean Apple wouldn't have good business arguments to do so anyway. There's way too much unknown about Apple plans, research notes and customer survey results for any of us to come to any firm conclusions. If one or two posters won't shout down the rest then perhaps someone here might post their reasoning for doing so, and perhaps even a very good reason.

I think we should all be able to have respectful discussions and offer opinions without being bullied or bullying others, especially when it comes from other members with no more executive team insight than the OP.  Don't you agree?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 34 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nicholfd said:
    gatorguy said:
    So why would Apple spend all that time, money and effort to create MapKit JS if there was no way for it to generate income or provide value to existing Apple customers? I'd say it's obvious Apple feels they can make money and/or offer a benefit to customers by having their mapping SW available to users on websites instead of just forcing customers with Apple devices to only open in Maps and saying fuck you to everyone else that doesn't own one of their devices.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 35 of 36
    How long has Apple been driving those multisensor cars around the world with seemingly little or nothing to show for it? Maps info and intelligence are still lacking, and still no street view type feature?

I'm tired of being patient waiting for Apple to get their act together regarding the basic functionality of their most common services..

Siri is still a chore to use for anything but setting alarms.

Siri can't even get dictation right ffs:
    Every time I try to dictate a message there's no customization or learning; for example, I don't know of a single person that types "ha ha"; it's always "haha" or "hahaha", but siri dictates "ha ha" for some reason. Or the word "ok"; I've never typed it as "OK", and I've only see other people type it as "OK" about 1/100 times, but that's what siri decides to dictate, every single time, instead of how people normally type it, which is "ok" or "okay".

Maps gives me faulty instructions/info fairly often and hasn't had a meaningful update in a while. (What was the last thing, lane assist a year ago?)

Emails somehow got worse and more convoluted when trying to follow email threads, still very little in the way of email management.

Despite Apple's bizarre claim that 1/2 of merchants use Apple Pay.. THEY DO NOT. (I go out of my way to find and use Apple Pay and it's nowhere near 1/2, despite it being an amazing service.) Even the starbucks **app** got more transactions than Apple Pay, despite Apple Pay being much easier to use, and despite that Apple Pay is accepted at all starbucks locations....kind of unbelievable.

I can't be the only one getting inpatient after years and years of stagnation. It's getting fucking annoying.

I love my X, series 2, ipad pro, airpods, homepod (well, siri kind of kills that one for now) ..my 7 yo macbook air is still going strong (relatively, haha). At this point, it's starting to feel like I'm getting screwed over by Apple neglecting to keep its services up to par (unlike Apple's hardware and core software, which of course continue to be in a league of thier own).
    1) who cares if you’re tired of waiting for unannounced features? It’s not your company, and you’re not involved with the projects and challenges, so your position of being tired is completely irrelevant. Start your own company and work nimbly, beat ‘em to the market...gotta be easy, right?

2) years of stagnation, yet you claim you have a X, AirPods, HomePod, iPad Pro, Watch...all amazing products that lead in their categories (yup, even the HP, its audio tech is much more advanced). Opposite of stagnation. 

3) If you feel you’re being victimized by Apple, why are you still here? What’s stopping you from getting a Dell and a Pixel and some chinese knockoff AirPods? Why are you letting yourself be a victim over and over? 

Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

1) the features I'm clearly referring to are the services that have already been announced, years ago, that are still crappy or below par. In siri's example, Apple announced that like 6 years ago, and it still sucks regarding basic functionality that was promised on day 1.

2) Again, you pull a straw man out of thin air in a feeble attempt to make a point, a point which is *refuted* in my own post that you quoted, where I described pretty clearly that I use and enjoy quite a few Apple hardware products, and then said that the harware and core software are excellent ("in a league of their own"). I never claimed that Apple as a whole has been stagnating. I feel the opposite is true, overall. What has stagnated are the multiple service features which seem to have been horribly mismanaged, such as siri, Apple pay, maps, etc. I was just at music festival over the weekend, tried to use apple pay about 15 times. Each time the person said they don't accept Apple pay, and each time I showed them how to do it on their own payment system. All but one were pretty thrilled and excited about it. The service is fantastic and sells itself, but it's being beat out by a coffee app! Pretty pathetic.

3) I'm staying with Apple because of the amazing hardware, core software, privacy, and their integrity as a company. So it feels like a slap in the face when they can't bother to get their shit together services wise after years and years of development of these services.

If you and the ppl that liked your attempt to rebut me want to get your panties in a bunch and go into denial, you're not doing Apple any favors by sticking you head in the sand and only hearing/reading what you want to believe.
  • Reply 36 of 36

I had this exact same issue few days back. Then I found out that I was living in a simulation controlled by the head of Google Maps.