Startup seeks $200,000 from Apple over 'stolen' Shortcuts app icon

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    To me other than color they are totally different.  Notice Apple have a transparency at overlap whereas the other one has a solid cut out grey center overlap.  Not even close.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Dougie.SDougie.S Posts: 40member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Not seeing it myself. 

I look at the Apple logo and I see the letter “S”. 

I look at the Shift logo and I think “That cost $200,000??”
    It’s not just $200,000 for the logo design. If they change the logo there are stationary items that will need reporting such as letter heads, pens etc. Shift would also need to reprint their signs also.
    Yes it’s a lot but I think it’s not too unreasonable. I can see similarities but I’ve seen closer copies of logos that get away with it!

All that said, I think the Shortcut app should be renamed Siri Flow. Nice throwback reference to Workflow they acquired
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 43 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    Nonsense.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    What Would Steve Do?
    Go thermonuclear on their assess. /s
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 45 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    LukeCage said:
    Apple's shortcut icon looks nothing like shifts icon, or maybe i'm missing something 
    You're missing impartiality 
  • Reply 46 of 76
    These types of articles always quickly devolve into arguments between the "Apple can do no wrong" and the "Apple can do no right" camps. Such is life in the forums.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    There are a few disadvantages to "paying up":

1. Apple would effectively be saying "we're guilty"
    2. It sets a precident for other companies who see a passing resemblance to their branding to take similar legal action.
    3. Yes $200,000 is a financial drop in the ocean for Apple, but still it could be put to much better use.

Also, where's the evidence that it was indeed ripped from their icon?

"It's mind-blowing that Apple, the firm with the biggest cash pile in history, the firm that is so design oriented, had to copy our logo," a Shift spokesperson said.

They say that as if they know it as fact. If they have a smoking gun to prove it then they may have a point. Otherwise, they can clear off.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 48 of 76
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    “Shift seeks Series A funding of $200,000 (minus attorney fees)”  ;)
  • Reply 49 of 76
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    What a joke! They don't look anything alike. Apple should counter sue them until they dry out all their resources and perish.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    LukeCage said:
    Apple's shortcut icon looks nothing like shifts icon, or maybe i'm missing something 
    You’re missing the ability to post without explicitly bolding your entire message....every...single..time. 
  • Reply 51 of 76
    SendMcjakSendMcjak Posts: 66unconfirmed, member
    Renegade marketing at its finest -- had never heard of this startup, now we're all talking about them!

They know what they're doing.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    The only thing that's really that similar between these two logos is the general idea of stacking squares to form a very abstract 'S'. I don't think that's enough to claim a violation since Apple already has other iOS logos that use stacked squares. Apple can easily argue that this is just a variation of what they were already doing.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    LOL. If you rotate the shift logo 90 degrees then you will see a shape that's has been used so many times before. And these guys talk about stealing?
  • Reply 54 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    It has got to be a very common glyph, I’m sure.
    Anyone who wants to check could perform an exhaustive search. I’m not gonna do it. LOL. ;)

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
  • Reply 55 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Uh oh. I remember seeing this thing drawn all over notebooks back in grade school. Does that mean this startup is going to sue all those kids, too?

SpamSandwichmknelsondasanman69
  • Reply 56 of 76
    I think Shift is upset the have a poor logo and they want Apple to pay for them to get a new logo. P.S. These images are not the same at all.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Anachr0nAnachr0n Posts: 37member
    I’m no expert on how different is different enough. But I do think the resemblance would be enough to cause confusion. I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now people think they stole Apples logo. 

$200,00 is nothing when you consider what involved in re-branding a company.

Heck, Steve Jobs paid 1 million just to design the Next logo. 
  • Reply 58 of 76
    I wonder whether Shift's logo predated this one from SETAPP that far more closely resembles it (blue bar ad that follows story on this site): https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/08/foxconn-industrial-internet/
  • Reply 59 of 76
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Seems vaguely reminiscent of the Apple - Apple Corps dispute. Yes, there are some vague similarities, but not enough to cause confusion or to legitimately argue that one stole from the other. 

Here in Minneapolis, Walmart/Sam’s Club sued a local health system (Health Partners) when they redesigned their logo to something that looked like Sam’s Club’s logo. When they inveiled the new logo, the first comment from many of the employees was ‘that looks like Sam’s Club’s logo!’ Of course they went ahead with it, because what health system wouldn’t want to be associated with wamart, right? /s

http://m.startribune.com/logo-dispute-between-healthpartners-wal-mart-lands-in-court/394613661/
  • Reply 60 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    LukeCage said:
    You’re missing the ability to post without explicitly bolding your entire message....every...single..time. 
    And I've explained why I have to. It's the only way my text stays within my comment space. If I don't write in bold the cursor jumps in the previous comment's window. 
    gatorguy