65+ new features in watchOS 5 for Apple Watch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2020
watchOS 5 is Apple's latest major release for Apple Watch, and it is releasing for everybody on Monday! In this update are a number of new features that aim to make the Apple Watch experience better, as well as making it more independent of the iPhone.

watchOS 5 Apple Watch

Headline features of watchOS include a new Walkie Talkie app for chatting with friends and family in real-time, a new Podcast app, smart Siri watch face, support for Siri Shortcuts, and better notification management. See all the changes for yourself in our hands-on video.

• Watch Faces

• Smarter Siri watch face

• Siri watch face data sources: Activity, Alarms, Breathe, Calendar, Favorite Teams, Health, Heart Rate, Home, InCallService, Mail, Messages, Music, News, Notes, Now Playing, Photos, Podcasts, Reminders, Stocks, Stopwatch, Timer, Wallet, Weather, & Workout.

• Now supports third party apps

• New color scheme (gray) for Siri watch face

• Solar watch face supports two complications

• Memories in Photo face

• Podcasts complication

• Podcasts

• New Podcasts app

• Control playback on the iPhone from Apple Watch

• Weather

• Now can add city on watch

• Tapping switches the metric instead of going to 10 day forecast

• UV index metric

• Air Quality metric

• Wind speed metric

• Wind direction metric

• Scroll to view 10 day forecast

• World Clock

• Add cities from watch

• Remove city by Force Touching

• Stocks

• Add stocks from watch

• Force Touch to remove stock

• New category organizer for emoji

• New UI for dictation, Scribble, emoji, sticker picker, Digital Touch, and Apple Pay

• Walkie Talkie

• Whole new app to chat

• Wallet

• Student ID cards in Wallet

• FaceTime

• Answer FaceTime calls (or Group FaceTime calls) as audio on Apple Watch

• Workouts

• Autostart workout reminder

• Auto stop workout reminder

• Retroactive workout credit

• All new yoga workout

• New hiking workout

• Pace measuring while running

• Pace alerts while running

• Rolling milestones

• Cadence while running

• Oval-shaped buttons

• Challenges for friends and family

• Personalized coaching during challenges

• Improved API

• Activity

• New awards tab on iPhone

• Flights climbed

• Slightly new UI (darker background)

• Settings

• New Wi-Fi category

• Choose Wi-Fi network

• Wake Screen on Crown Up toggle under Wake Screen settings

• Do Not Disturb features in iOS 12 show after giving Calendar permission

• Website data section

• Clear website data

• Raise to speak toggle under Siri

• Voice Feedback for Siri on, control with silent mode, headphones only

• Control Siri volume

• Siri voice text

• Start workout reminder toggle

• Stop workout reminder toggle

• Less regulatory info

• System

• Gradient and animation when opening notifications

• Grouped notifications

• Notification Instant Tuning

• Improved notifications - do more, reply in notifications, check-in, change reservations, etc.

• Notifications and Control Center are "bouncier"

• Background audio API

• Audio Controller API

• Parkinson's Research API

• Editable Control Center

• Support for Siri Shortcuts created on iOS

• (View websites on Apple Watch)

• Raise to speak Siri

• Hindi localization

Apple's watchOS 5 was revealed at WWDC18 alongside iOS 12, macOS Mojave, and tvOS 12. watchOS 5 will support all models of Apple Watch except the original "Series 0" model, which will be staying on watchOS 4.

All of Apple's latest updates are set to be released later this fall. Stay connected with AppleInsider as we delve through the releases in the weeks and months to come.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26

• Oval-shaped buttons

• Flights climbed
    Yes! Oval shaped buttons!!

I can already see flights climbed on my Watch and iPhone? How is this different? Is there a change?

Lots of good stuff here, though. I’m looking forward to the update. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobraAlex1Nalbegarc
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Drew.KocurDrew.Kocur Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    All these “improvements” but can I change the alert sounds?
    williamlondonnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Wait, does this mean the beta has been rereleased?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Thanks for the comprehensive review!
    Learned a lot of new stuff and can't wait to get it on my WATCH.
    watto_cobraalbegarc
  • Reply 5 of 26
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    I’d like to see a snooze feature added to the Do Not Disturb function. Mine is set to kick in automatically for midnight to 7 AM but there are times when I want to stay up a little longer. I’d like to be able to long press the moon icon and see snooze or delay options like 30 min or 1 hour etc
    watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 26
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    With the new WiFi options can the watch finally join WPA2 enterprise networks like eduroam?
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor

• Oval-shaped buttons

• Flights climbed

I can already see flights climbed on my Watch and iPhone? How is this different? Is there a change?

Same flights climbed metric, just presented in the activity app on the Apple Watch. It didn't show up there by default previously.

watto_cobraAlex1NGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 26
    My kingdom for heat index. Maybe there's already a way to find that or use as complication and I've missed it like a dumbbuttocks? It could well be overkill, but I'd also enjoy more than four complications. (Now I have "Theme from Shaft" in my head. "He's a complicated man ...")
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 26
    i am much more excited about apple watch software updates over ios or macos. i’m rooting for the small guy. hahaha!
    dws-2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26

• Oval-shaped buttons

• Flights climbed

Same flights climbed metric, just presented in the activity app on the Apple Watch. It didn't show up there by default previously.

I’m really not trying to be dense here, what is metric for flights climbed? 1 flight is not 1 flight metric?  Also, as I mentioned, I can see flights climbed in the Activity app on my Watch (and iPhone) on watchOS 4.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    It sounds like an awesome upgrade, and I'll definitely be buying the next generation model, but would appreciate any suggestions as to where to sell my AW3.

edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    bluefire1 said:
    It sounds like an awesome upgrade, and I'll definitely be buying the next generation model, but would appreciate any suggestions as to where to sell my AW3.

Check buybackworld.com or gazelle.com.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    While Apple is progressing well on the exercise front, they could still do much, much better.
    Essentially, they cater to the mainstream crowd of casual exercisers who mostly care about the basics rather than serious athletes who want more and need more.  They could do that by either developing the apps themselves or by better supporting third party developers to provide the muscle power needed.

One of the siimplest (from the user standard point not the developer's) is the face:   while running you need to make quick glances to determine the metric you are interested in.   But, instead of enabling the user to see one or two large  block letters showing the preferred metric (split pace, heart rate, time & distance, etc...) that are easy to see & read with a quick glance during adverse conditions and strenuous exertion we get tiny little letters.  The most customization you can do is eliminate some of the information -- but that doesn't make the remaining information any easier to see...

Another enhancement would be improved post workout analysis.  A serious runner is interested in heart rate, elevation, pace and so on -- as well as the interaction between them.   But, instead of meaningful analysis we get tiny, worthless little graphs and averages that are mostly for show...  For example:   because I'm recovering from an injury and getting back into running again, during yesterday's run I had to take several walking breaks during the run.  While I know that my pace and my heart rate were high while I was running, all Apple showed me were a tiny, worthless graph and a bunch of worthless averages....

Basically, that all is because Apple is relying on casual exercisers for design advice.   They need to bring in some serious athletes and find out what they need and want so we don't have to take off our Apple Watch and strap on a Garmin when we exercise or run.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 26
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Yawn. These tweaky little bells and whistles amount to a hill of beans. Call me when the battery life (at least) doubles.

I'll stick to my Series 0 in the meantime.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    The Apple Watch 1 is 50% faster then the Watch 0 but has identical RAM and storage specs. 3 years seems a bit early for Apple to be dropping support.
    toysandmetoysandme
  • Reply 16 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    netmage said:
    The Apple Watch 1 is 50% faster then the Watch 0 but has identical RAM and storage specs. 3 years seems a bit early for Apple to be dropping support.
    Ram and storage are only two of the specs.   There are, apparently other things that made it a non-candidate for upgrades.
    In prior threads a developer mentioned its limitations running native, third party apps.   And, since it is excluded from the Apple heart study, we can assume that it's heart rate sensor has limitations...

The fact is:   first generation products tend to shorter lifespans than mature products as their rate of growth and obsolescence is much higher.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    While Apple is progressing well on the exercise front, they could still do much, much better.
    Essentially, they cater to the mainstream crowd of casual exercisers who mostly care about the basics rather than serious athletes who want more and need more.  They could do that by either developing the apps themselves or by better supporting third party developers to provide the muscle power needed.

One of the siimplest (from the user standard point not the developer's) is the face:   while running you need to make quick glances to determine the metric you are interested in.   But, instead of enabling the user to see one or two large  block letters showing the preferred metric (split pace, heart rate, time & distance, etc...) that are easy to see & read with a quick glance during adverse conditions and strenuous exertion we get tiny little letters.  The most customization you can do is eliminate some of the information -- but that doesn't make the remaining information any easier to see...

Another enhancement would be improved post workout analysis.  A serious runner is interested in heart rate, elevation, pace and so on -- as well as the interaction between them.   But, instead of meaningful analysis we get tiny, worthless little graphs and averages that are mostly for show...  For example:   because I'm recovering from an injury and getting back into running again, during yesterday's run I had to take several walking breaks during the run.  While I know that my pace and my heart rate were high while I was running, all Apple showed me were a tiny, worthless graph and a bunch of worthless averages....

Basically, that all is because Apple is relying on casual exercisers for design advice.   They need to bring in some serious athletes and find out what they need and want so we don't have to take off our Apple Watch and strap on a Garmin when we exercise or run.

Some people can never be satisfied.  Did you look at the list of enhancements?  Yet you still want Savile Row when you are more likely a macy’s...no penney’s target.  here’s an idea, if it does not meet your lofty standards, don’t buy it.  I doubt it will be a blip on the apparently strong demand for the watch.
  • Reply 18 of 26

Here you go again, basically making stuff up just to have something to complain about.

Guess what… The AW is NOT a device targeting professional athletes. If the AW doesn’t fit your specific flavor of hectic life as a professional athlete, then I suggest that you buy devices targeting your demographic.

As far as the size of the information I’ve never had a problem with it, and I’m even considering that perhaps I should get glasses. Have you had your eyesight check recently? (Serious question, because if I can see the information, then most people should be able to.)

As far as complaining about the apps: Just get other apps, that is, ffs, the whole point with there being apps; to get more features. I use several health apps, but that doesn’t mean that I feel that I have to complain about the included one; they serve a purpose, and these other ones give me the data how I want/prefer it. 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Does the support for Siri Shortcuts mean you can potentially have shortcuts that run on the Watch itself, or does it just trigger shortcuts on an iOS device?  If the former, that's pretty cool.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Looks like a great update por the AW. It is suposed to be avilable por download today but I don´t know the time for that.