Video: Changes to the MacBook Pro we want Apple to make

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    macikemacike Posts: 70member
    What I’m saying, is that Twitter and Facebook are not first-tier sources of news. Nobody said that Stroughton-Smith was lying. Today’s news, and scandals involving Social Media, should tell you that there Is much reluctance to get your news from them as a primary resource. Striughton-Smith is a Gamer and IOS Developer, which is ok, but it should be obvious even to you, that Facebook and Twitter have published false information, and has been manipulated. Stroughton-Smith has scoured and uncovered some scoops lately, but if anything of significance happens in the Tech-world, or otherwise, I’ll get pop-up notices/emails/and headlines on my iPhone,iPad and iMac, and TV! I knew when important software was updated, because CNET,Apple, MacObserver, Ars Technica, Anandtech, Macworld, and others will be on top of it! Try again,Pal! I’m on Facebook,but don’t care for Twitter,which are personal choices, but I depend on my news from established, fact-checked, principled sources. You obviously hear idiotic things on Twitter and Facebook, everyday. I will never miss important developments, because I’m connected to many excellent sources of news, Tech or otherwise. For your information, some Tech websites, such as imore, or podcasters with good backgrounds, may have only been around for about 10 years. Others such as Macworld and Computerworld, may have 20-30 years of coverage! I’ve been using Macs and reading about Macs and Computers in general, since the mid-80’s. I have an many early Apple computers. Try again,Genius. 
  • Reply 142 of 162
    You honestly tried to diminish the writings of accomplished writers, editors, and authors, such as Snell, Evans, and their established publications and websites, to listen to YOU? You don’t have the credibility and insight that they have developed! They have been editors, writers, contributors, and Podcasters for years, and those two have over a decade of experience, and you have the nerve to try to place your opinions above theirs! That, is Rich! Unless you have their credentials, it’s unbelievable to think that someone should honor your opinions over theirs. You’re delusional, it seems. You think too much of yourself, in the Apple-Universe! You don’t rank with them , or the other sources I named, since at least 100,000’s of readers depend on them every day!
  • Reply 143 of 162
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    [...] QuickTime Player 7 was last updated like 9 years ago. Yes, it had some handy features, and maybe Apple will update the current QuickTime Player to include some of those functions at some point. Maybe they already have or will in Mojave (or the subsequent release) but I haven't seen anyone check for sure. Maybe not.

Either way, if you rely on these ancient tools for some reason, run an older macOS in a virtual machine so you can access 32bit apps. Problem solved. I'd personally just find a suitable modern replacement though.
    Actually, I'll concede the dumbing down of Quicktime player as a point of disappointment for me. Moving to a "modern replacement" isn't as easy as just a trip to the app store in this case. Quicktime 7 does some useful things that are either not readily available elsewhere or require using tools that are much more involved and complicated. I can't think of another app off the top of my head that will do a quick trim without re-encoding, while also providing an easy way to add additional or alternative audio tracks, chapter markers, and captioning. I use it al the time for stuff like that. I could use Final Cut and Compressor to do those things, but doing so is comparatively slow, cumbersome, expensive, and adds an additional degradation layer.

I suppose you're right that Apple may add similar features elsewhere, but I haven't heard or read anything that gives me reason to expect they will. In fact, hearing the words "deprecate Quicktime framework" in the Keynote leads me to believe it's unlikely.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 144 of 162
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macike said:
    You honestly tried to diminish the writings of accomplished writers, editors, and authors, such as Snell, Evans, and their established publications and websites, to listen to YOU? You don’t have the credibility and insight that they have developed! They have been editors, writers, contributors, and Podcasters for years, and those two have over a decade of experience, and you have the nerve to try to place your opinions above theirs! That, is Rich! Unless you have their credentials, it’s unbelievable to think that someone should honor your opinions over theirs. You’re delusional, it seems. You think too much of yourself, in the Apple-Universe! You don’t rank with them , or the other sources I named, since at least 100,000’s of readers depend on them every day!
    I really don't know what you're on about. Let me remind you what we're talking about here:

You stated, as fact, the following:
    Future Mac OS software will soon no longer support the use of external DVD/CD drives. It has already been announced. 
    and then when challenged on this, you cited this source:
    Jonny Evans from Computerworld,in an article dated for April 18,2018,said that Apple decreed death to 32-bit apps. 
    Apple's DVD Player is the only exception,but its version number hasn't been updated since 2015. This modification failed to extend to 32-bit Apps. It means that an essential software component used by thousands of mac-users to watch Video on their Macs has no future! Those are Jonny's words, not mine.
    [...] won't be supported after August 2018,when Mac OS 10.14 debuts. [...] Jonny Evans said,'this suggests that Apple doesn't plan on even supporting third-party CD/DVD-authoring software solutions"! You are an arrogant know-it-all, and I call Bullshit on your opinion,since Mr. Evans the Appleholic, is a much more reliable Apple-resource than you!

Following this, I found a source who has actually used the Mojave beta that renders this entire premise false on its face, due to the fact that they did indeed update DVD Player in 10.14, which indicates they have zero plan to ceases support the use of external optical drives. It doesn't matter if it was on Twitter or on a burned optical disc, it is actual fact which completely destroys Evans' premise. All I'm saying is bloggers jump to conclusions and get things wrong, resulting in the kind of FUD you started off with in this thread, which ended up being completely unfounded in reality in the end. He made a prediction, and he was wrong.

I've been using computers since the 80's too, I learned Logo on an Apple II in elementary school. I am also "connected to many excellent sources of news" but you have to be ready to admit when someone you cite as a source ends up being wrong.

• Reply 145 of 162

[...] QuickTime Player 7 was last updated like 9 years ago. Yes, it had some handy features, and maybe Apple will update the current QuickTime Player to include some of those functions at some point. Maybe they already have or will in Mojave (or the subsequent release) but I haven't seen anyone check for sure. Maybe not.

Either way, if you rely on these ancient tools for some reason, run an older macOS in a virtual machine so you can access 32bit apps. Problem solved. I'd personally just find a suitable modern replacement though.
    Actually, I'll concede the dumbing down of Quicktime player as a point of disappointment for me. Moving to a "modern replacement" isn't as easy as just a trip to the app store in this case. Quicktime 7 does some useful things that are either not readily available elsewhere or require using tools that are much more involved and complicated. I can't think of another app off the top of my head that will do a quick trim without re-encoding, while also providing an easy way to add additional or alternative audio tracks, chapter markers, and captioning. I use it al the time for stuff like that. I could use Final Cut and Compressor to do those things, but doing so is comparatively slow, cumbersome, expensive, and adds an additional degradation layer.

I suppose you're right that Apple may add similar features elsewhere, but I haven't heard or read anything that gives me reason to expect they will. In fact, hearing the words "deprecate Quicktime framework" in the Keynote leads me to believe it's unlikely.
    Trust me, I fully agree. I was disappointed with Quicktime Player X when it came out for these reasons, and still am annoyed with the overlaid controls, rounded corners, and lack of features in QT7. I just mean that it's out of our hands. Maybe they'll update QTP to include some or all of these features once QT7 officially dies in 10.15 or even before, maybe they won't. If they don't, we'll have to move on. For now, they still offer QT7 as a download and it still works, so I don't see the point in freaking out just yet. :)
    lorin schultzcgWerks
  • Reply 146 of 162
    These esteemed writers SUGGESTED, that with the imminent update to Mac OS, even though they held out hope, evidence didn’t point to those apps in question to be updated. Especially, as long as they had been ignored. They did the right thing, to warn and prepare their readers and viewers to find alternate sources, or to not be surprised if Apple and other companies left them high and dry, because future versions of Mac OS wouldn’t support 32-bit at all. They know the ramifications of spreading FUD, but Apple and the writers have been warning us at least since Snow Leopard. Neither of them said that it was impossible or definitely wouldn’t be updated, just unlikely, based on Apple’s actions. That’s what they were supposed to do! At that time, the clock was ticking down on the life of ALL 32-bit Apps. Apple certainly had time to update them,but hadn’t! Similarly, they’ve allowed the Mac Pro, Airport routers, and Mac Mini wither, without meaningful updates or explanations! Sound familiar? Try again, Pal!
  • Reply 147 of 162
    macike said:
    These esteemed writers SUGGESTED, that with the imminent update to Mac OS, even though they held out hope, evidence didn’t point to those apps in question to be updated. Especially, as long as they had been ignored. They did the right thing, to warn and prepare their readers and viewers to find alternate sources, or to not be surprised if Apple and other companies left them high and dry, because future versions of Mac OS wouldn’t support 32-bit at all. They know the ramifications of spreading FUD, but Apple and the writers have been warning us at least since Snow Leopard. Neither of them said that it was impossible or definitely wouldn’t be updated, just unlikely, based on Apple’s actions. That’s what they were supposed to do! At that time, the clock was ticking down on the life of ALL 32-bit Apps. Apple certainly had time to update them,but hadn’t! Similarly, they’ve allowed the Mac Pro, Airport routers, and Mac Mini wither, without meaningful updates or explanations! Sound familiar? Try again, Pal!
    And in the end, they were wrong and created a bunch of FUD in the process.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority

And why do you keep ignoring the fact that DVD Player was updated, and that alone contradicts the assertion that Apple is abandoning support for optical media? Now you're backpedaling. They've fully explained the Mac Pro situation. Airport Routers have been officially discontinued. iDVD was discontinued 7 years ago.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/special-pleading

• Reply 148 of 162
    Apple itself, in the article I quoted, already said that some CD-RW burners, and third-Party software is not supported. I just named two writers, and a small handful of websites/publications/podcasters who said indications point to a withdrawal of support for Disc-burning and playing. Partially due to the fact that Apple took the optical drives off of most of their equipment, and their failure to update even their own software. I could have named 40 websites that said the same thing, from Apple.com to ZD NET! Should they have said, to relax, it looks like everything will be updated? LOL! Apple makes plenty of mistakes, some of them so blatant, that these same writers, websites, and podcasters have gone as far as to tell their readers to delay purchases, Buy from competitors, or to hang on to what they are using, because Apple is still charging full-price for older, outdated, or non-updated hardware. Some mistake were so egregious, that Apple broke with their own traditions, and announced their intentions to update the iMac, and Mac Pro IN ADVANCE! They even had to re-express their love for theMac Mini!
  • Reply 149 of 162
    You keep trying to find small victories by proclaiming that DVD Player was updated. Disregarding the fact that 40 or 50 websites thought is was important to warn their readers of their doubts about updates for at least 4 years. The totals for Vinyl and CD sales were bigger than Music download Sales in 2017. Even with CD sales declining, in an age of increased emphasis on streaming. According to you, nobody burns/listens to CD’s anymore, and nobody wants to lug them around. CD’s sold 50 Million copies in 2016, just in the U.S. You even said that Apple didn’t need to update DVD Player. Sales of DVD and Blu-Ray discs totaled $18 Billion. The sales of CDs and downloads was passed for the first time by streaming services, in 2017. You choose to ignore years of inactivity and lack of information on future prospects, and proclaim that they were fully explained, even though no specific details were given on the Mac Pro or Mac Mini, and the Mac Pro won’t be introduced until som time in 2019. There are tons of articles and podcasts that are discussing whether Pros should buy an iMac Pro, or wait for who knows how long for the Mac Pro, not even know how modular or upgradeable it will be, or how much it will cost. Is that fully explained? Of course not. Despite your claims, the most reputable publications/websites/podcasts/tech publications felt that their warnings were needed and justified, and have been doing it consistently! You somehow think that one piece of software disproved everything they wrote about it, which is ridiculous. You don’t know the Apple market better than the Experts, and I don’t know who you’ll convince that you’re more knowledgeable than the top writers and analysts in the nation. Even though most experts didn’t believe Apple could succeed in the Smartphone business, they are still more knowledgeable and informed than you and I. I’ll go with their predictions and warnings, over yours, even though they aren’t infallible. It doesn’t take a Genius to see that disc Sales would decrease, if Apple and others are removing players from their hardware. You were wrong about  the world market for physical media, too!
  • Reply 150 of 162
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member

Trust me, I fully agree. I was disappointed with Quicktime Player X when it came out for these reasons, and still am annoyed with the overlaid controls, rounded corners, and lack of features in QT7. I just mean that it's out of our hands. Maybe they'll update QTP to include some or all of these features once QT7 officially dies in 10.15 or even before, maybe they won't. If they don't, we'll have to move on. For now, they still offer QT7 as a download and it still works, so I don't see the point in freaking out just yet. :)
    Gotcha. I now understand what you meant.

Freaking out early and often is sort of standard operating procedure when it comes to long-time Apple users, so I assumed that's what we were supposed to do. Like with the routers. Apparently I must now discard my working Airport Extremes and immediately buy something else because Apple has discontinued them. :wink: 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 151 of 162
    Apple and the media hasn’t been warning you regularly on the imminent demise of Airport routers. It’s clearly obvious that they have been neglected. They do have an obligation to inform you, when the discontinuation was finally official. Apple and nearly all of the tech publications have been telling the readers and viewers to prepare for the eventual transition to 64-but Apps. They told us how to determine if they were 32-bit or not, suggested that we contact the companies as to the availability of updates, and even rated  apps based on the likelihood of them being updated. That definitely isn’t freaking out early and often. Apple and nearly every reputable Apple-related or mainstream technology resource saw the benefit of making sure we were warned, and were prepared. That’s exactly what they were supposed to do. They aren’t crystal-Ball readers, but are very informative, which is time-proven. Some, such as ZD Net, who obviously has a bias against Apple, recently wrote that Mac User’s don’t matter to Apple! They wrote about Apple products you shouldn’t buy-which included Airpot/Mac Pro /and Air Pods! They even said that Airport Extreme’s worked well and were easy to setup, even though everyone knows that the market has surpassed the Air port Extreme! They even wrote , “ Why the Mac you know has no future “! That is like Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal saying that Apple needs low-cost phones and computers to survive and prosper. This was said despite Apple making over 80% of the profits in the Smartphone market, and remaining one of the few computer makers showing growth in PCs . Does that mean that we shouldn’t listen to Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal? Of course not. They give a higher market valuation to Amazon than they do to Apple, when Apple is practically printing money, and Amazon has only made a profit for 8 quarters as of 2017! Merrill Lynch was about to file for bankruptcy, when Bank of America swallowed them, but we still respect their expertise, and they continue to manage Over a Trillion dollars of their clients wealth. The Experts didn’t predict the nation’s financial collapse in 2008-2009, values Amazon stock at $1,683 per share while they were in the red for their history until 2009, but values Apple stock at about $190 share, when Apple and Exxon Mobil takes home more profit in 2.5 weeks than Amazon has in its entire existence! Do we throw the financial industry’s advice away? Hell, No! Just like the Weatherman didn’t completely predict Hurricane Katrina or the disaster in Puerto Rico, Technology writers won’t always perfectly predict if Apple is going to update their software or hardware, we honor their analysis, since they are giving us their best educated guesses, tempered by experience, contacts, and insight. Apple is famously and fiercely secretive, and has been justifiably criticized for not providing timelines, clues, product development assurances, or direction, so that consumers or business users will know what to buy or expect! Most of the people will continue to listen to and learn from the top mainstream publications and websites on the Apple and computer business.
  • Reply 152 of 162
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macike said:
    the imminent demise of Airport routers
    They are discontinued. I’m pretty sure Apple has warned us.
    Mac User’s don’t matter to Apple!
    Do we?
    Apple products you shouldn’t buy-which included Airpot/Mac Pro /and Air Pods!
    That makes sense. One’s discontinued, one is literally four and a half years old with a new model coming next year by Apple’s own admission, and one could well be updated soon.
    They even said that Airport Extreme’s worked well and were easy to setup, even though everyone knows that the market has surpassed the Air port Extreme!
    Something tells me that they’re right about that, too. Can you name a third party router that is easier to manipulate than the AirPort family?
    Why the Mac you know has no future “! 
    I just gave that article a look. He says that ARM Macs aren’t in the foreseeable future (which is strange) and that Windows 10 is a gradual, ground-up rewrite of Windows (what the heck is he even saying). I wonder if he’s not the primary voice over there that hates the Mac.
    Merrill Lynch was about to file for bankruptcy, when Bank of America swallowed them, but we still respect their expertise…
    But why? And I don’t mean “Why trust any banker?” (even though you shouldn’t)–but rather “why trust them specifically when they’re going bankrupt for a reason?” Sounds a lot like the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect.
    Do we throw the financial industry’s advice away? Hell, No!
    You should seriously consider it.
    Just like the Weatherman didn’t completely predict Hurricane Katrina or the disaster in Puerto Rico
    And again, consider throwing out any claims they make greater than 72 hours out. They’re more accurate in very specific parts of the world where weather is extremely stable, but honestly, the belief about them being consistently wrong and never being held accountable exists for a reason.
    Technology writers won’t always perfectly predict if Apple is going to update their software or hardware, we honor their analysis, since they are giving us their best educated guesses, tempered by experience, contacts, and insight. 
    This, however, I agree with you completely.
    Most of the people will continue to listen to and learn from the top mainstream publications and websites on the Apple and computer business.
    My problem with that is that they’re clearly stock manipulating most of the time. Doesn’t Apple have recourse for that?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 153 of 162
    Tallest Skil, I was saying that we weren’t getting frequent notices of doom on Airport routers, I know they announced it. You made some excellent points about whether Apple really cares about what we think, whether they need to let us know what’s coming, and whether Banks have a bad track-record. Wall Street gives more value to Tesla, who isn’t making money and can’t get their production numbers up, than they do Ford and GM, who has earned Billions in profits. How can Amazon, Google, and Priceline’s stocks be worth 5-7 times as much as Apple, when Apple is making more money than could have been imagined? 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 154 of 162
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    lorin schultz said:
    Music delivered via the subscription service is copy protected, but music purchased from the iTunes Store has been DRM-free since 2009. Anything purchased prior to that can be replaced with an iTunes Plus version. I suspect what you're referencing is music purchased prior to Apple removing DRM. Re-download it and it will be DRM free.
    I'll have to figure that out some day. I still have tracks that when I play them pop up an authorization (if not already authorized). But, I was buying music before 2009... so probably related to that.

fastasleep said:
    And why do you keep ignoring the fact that DVD Player was updated, and that alone contradicts the assertion that Apple is abandoning support for optical media? Now you're backpedaling. They've fully explained the Mac Pro situation. Airport Routers have been officially discontinued. iDVD was discontinued 7 years ago.
    I suppose Apple could pull it before the actual release, like they did eGPU for TB2? :)   (sorry... couldn't resist)

tallest skil said:
    I just gave that article a look. He says that ARM Macs aren’t in the foreseeable future (which is strange) and that Windows 10 is a gradual, ground-up rewrite of Windows (what the heck is he even saying). I wonder if he’s not the primary voice over there that hates the Mac.
    For sure... Isn't the registry still there? They might have done a lot, but I think it's still the same-ol' Windows underneath.

Do we throw the financial industry’s advice away? Hell, No!
    You should seriously consider it.
    No doubt! :)

tallest skil said:
    And again, consider throwing out any claims they make greater than 72 hours out. They’re more accurate in very specific parts of the world where weather is extremely stable, but honestly, the belief about them being consistently wrong and never being held accountable exists for a reason.
    I'm not sure I'd give them 72 hours even where I live. The 5 day forecasts from different sources are often dramatically different. They sometimes don't even get the next day right.

macike said:
    Wall Street gives more value to Tesla, who isn’t making money and can’t get their production numbers up, than they do Ford and GM, who has earned Billions in profits. How can Amazon, Google, and Priceline’s stocks be worth 5-7 times as much as Apple, when Apple is making more money than could have been imagined? 
    Wall Street is a gambling game for the rich that tries to paint some credibility on itself by using the term 'investment.' If you think of it in that way, it will all start to make a lot more sense. Or, to put it another way, how Wall Street values anything has little to do with the actual value.
  • Reply 155 of 162
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Looks like Touch bar can still be handy for someone that never used it in productivity apps:

http://vas3k.com/blog/touchbar/

Adding that with haptic feedbacks sounds like an interesting way to utilize it.
    edited June 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 156 of 162
    DuhSesame said:
    Looks like Touch bar can still be handy for someone that never used it in productivity apps:

That was a great article! Thanks.
  • Reply 157 of 162
    cgWerks said:
    DuhSesame said:

That was a great article! Thanks.
    Wonder if it will be a great idea to let the Touch Bar doing more "supportive" tasks instead of assisting for productivity apps.
  • Reply 158 of 162
    DuhSesame said:
    Wonder if it will be a great idea to let the Touch Bar doing more "supportive" tasks instead of assisting for productivity apps.
    Yeah, I liked the premise of that article a lot. Because when I want to launch something (or an automation) that I'd have to dig-up some other way, or check some information quickly, it would actually save time and gives me a reason to look at the TouchBar. Whereas, when I'm working in an app, it's better to just look at the screen and use my trackpad/mouse. (The esc key still remains a problem for many though. If you actually use the esc key, having be virtual just sucks... even if you can fix its location like the author did.)

My son seems to be getting on with his MBP well so far, and he's enamored with the TouchBar (ex: picking an emoji), but I think that will eventually wear off. That said, he never got used to having real function keys or using the 'esc' key or such... so it's kind of native to him in being new. Once he gets more into the production apps, it will be interesting to see if he really uses it much.

That article was just full of bad Apple UI decisions though... like touch the 'speaker' icon and then slide the slider. I was just thinking that same thought the other day while setting my son's MBP up. My initial impression (after a few days of use) is similar to what I've been saying about it all along.... mostly a gimmick, possibly worse.
  • Reply 159 of 162
    cgWerks said:
    The esc key still remains a problem for many though. If you actually use the esc key, having be virtual just sucks... even if you can fix its location like the author did.
    There's another app that will add haptic feedback into the Touch Bar by utilizing the Taptic Engine.  The author is annoyed more because the escape key aren't always there when he needed, and yes, I'm thinking about that too (that's another issue when I tried out in the Apple store, other than a defective key).  

Yeah, I liked the premise of that article a lot. Because when I want to launch something (or an automation) that I'd have to dig-up some other way, or check some information quickly, it would actually save time and gives me a reason to look at the TouchBar. Whereas, when I'm working in an app, it's better to just look at the screen and use my trackpad/mouse. 
    I've always think that some features may help, like fixed forward/back keys in both Finder and Safari (refresh and tab switching), similar to the Chromebook.  Scrolling a inside a video or music player could be useful sometimes, too.   If both of them always showing up at the same place, then people will remembering it overtime.

I remembered asking an Adobe programmer about the Touch Bar, he said it speeds up his debugging process a little.

And really I don't think there's anything wrong if I want to add some monitoring features, for example if it's possible to add a CPU monitor and a clock, I can freeing bit more space in the global menu (Not to mention it will always be there as well, whereas moving the cursor just to see what time is it).

cgWerks said:
    That article was just full of bad Apple UI decisions though... like touch the 'speaker' icon and then slide the slider. I was just thinking that same thought the other day while setting my son's MBP up. My initial impression (after a few days of use) is similar to what I've been saying about it all along.... mostly a gimmick, possibly worse.
    I think that's because most of us got used to keyboard shortcuts and not likely going to change anytime soon.  But most importantly, the author shows it can be still helpful without challenging the traditional way.  If Apple can optimized to be used in this way, then I'm sure it will be less of a "gimmick" as some tech media complained about.

And yes, the volume button design sucks.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 160 of 162
    DuhSesame said:
    I think that's because most of us got used to keyboard shortcuts and not likely going to change anytime soon.  But most importantly, the author shows it can be still helpful without challenging the traditional way.  If Apple can optimized to be used in this way, then I'm sure it will be less of a "gimmick" as some tech media complained about.

And yes, the volume button design sucks.
    The good news is that it's software (so long as you don't hate the bar being there, physically), so they can improve it over time. I think the bigger question is whether this is something that will get carried across the product lineup, or a (somewhat) failed experiment on the MBP. I suppose eventually people would get used to no function keys and come up with alternatives to esc. It's just more a question of whether this is really useful/better enough in some way to keep and expand it.