Next-gen Apple Watch models to integrate solid-state buttons & EKG functions, report says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Well, since the single sensors in my model 3 may just have saved my life a couple of weeks ago, I  think that waiting on the excuse of more sensors is senseless.
    Glad to hear that you're (apparently) doing better.   I hope that means that you're doing very well!
    Thanks,  but actually after getting out of the hospital after 4 days, I ended going back in, where is where I am now. Again, my watch gave me a warning. Without going into it, I developed additional complications. And again, without the warning from the watch, I would have found out too late.
    This being an Apple Forum I guess we can agree that we're glad your watch is working so well...
    But, so sorry to hear that it put you back in the hospital again.   I hope all goes well this time and they send you home all better real soon.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    eriamjh said:
    Hey Siri, pause my workout. 

Hey Siri, end my workout.  

Who needs buttons? 
    People who don’t want to look like a dipshit talking to their watch in the gym. 
    GeorgeBMacAlex1Nairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 49

So tough to deal with the watch when you are drenched in a humid day after a run. Just stopping the activity is rough. They have to work on that sort of thing, no matter what the technology. 
    Yeh, Or, even worse, if it's raining out.  The touch screen doesn't work for crap.

Actually, that's one of several reasons why serious athletes/runners commonly choose Garmins over Apple Watch.  It's controlled by physical buttons instead of a capacitive touch screen that work much better under stress and adverse conditions.  

With Apple pushing their Watch further into the exercise realm, they should no longer be ignoring that limitation -- much less expanding it.
    I’ve never heard that reason cited before, ever. Battery life, yes, but never the claim that the AW can’t be controlled by physical buttons, since, you know, it can. Link?
    You have no idea what you are talking about...   Educate yourself.  It's not my job.
    I likely know more about it than you. 

As as far as whose job it is — the person who makes a claim is the one responsible for citing or proving it. You claimed something I’ve never read in years of coverage and reviews. It sounds like bullshit. And until you reference your claims, it will remain bullshit. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don’t buy this rumor.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 45 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

So tough to deal with the watch when you are drenched in a humid day after a run. Just stopping the activity is rough. They have to work on that sort of thing, no matter what the technology. 
    Yeh, Or, even worse, if it's raining out.  The touch screen doesn't work for crap.

Actually, that's one of several reasons why serious athletes/runners commonly choose Garmins over Apple Watch.  It's controlled by physical buttons instead of a capacitive touch screen that work much better under stress and adverse conditions.  

With Apple pushing their Watch further into the exercise realm, they should no longer be ignoring that limitation -- much less expanding it.
    I’ve never heard that reason cited before, ever. Battery life, yes, but never the claim that the AW can’t be controlled by physical buttons, since, you know, it can. Link?
    You have no idea what you are talking about...   Educate yourself.  It's not my job.
    I likely know more about it than you. 

As as far as whose job it is — the person who makes a claim is the one responsible for citing or proving it. You claimed something I’ve never read in years of coverage and reviews. It sounds like bullshit. And until you reference your claims, it will remain bullshit. 
    Probably...  But you hide well!
  • Reply 46 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    matrix077 said:
    eriamjh said:

Who needs buttons?  

Besides, solid state doesn’t mean touch sensitive like Touch ID.  It can be force sensitive meaning it can work wet or through gloves.  
    Soon you don’t even have to say Hey Siri. Just “Pause my workout”.
    Yes I agree. If Siri is to succeed, she’ll really need to become contextual. And the gym is a great place to use voice commands. People are already talking on their phones while they workout, or singing along to music. As AIs take off and become more reliable, and people get used to the convenience of voice commands, we’re going to see a lot more people using them in public spaces, where it’s appropriate, as the norm.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 49
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I don’t buy this rumor.
    Me either, since it didn't come from Apple.  I only buy Apple gear...and future directions!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 49
    mac_128 said:
    matrix077 said:
    eriamjh said:

Who needs buttons?  

Besides, solid state doesn’t mean touch sensitive like Touch ID.  It can be force sensitive meaning it can work wet or through gloves.  
    Soon you don’t even have to say Hey Siri. Just “Pause my workout”.
    Yes I agree. If Siri is to succeed, she’ll really need to become contextual. And the gym is a great place to use voice commands. People are already talking on their phones while they workout, or singing along to music. As AIs take off and become more reliable, and people get used to the convenience of voice commands, we’re going to see a lot more people using them in public spaces, where it’s appropriate, as the norm.
    No, the gym, or any public place really, isn't a great place to attempt voice commands with a gizmo. Unless you want to look like a dipshit. 

And any decent gym doesn't allow people to talk on their phones in the work space where people are trying to focus on their lifts, because it's already been proven that listening to one-sided (cell phone) conversations is more distracting than hearing two people talk, due to the cognitive load increase of trying to solve the puzzle of what is being said. The brain has a harder time blocking out an overheard one-sided conversation. ie, it's super fucking annoying.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 49
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    JayVee said:
    I'm hoping for the long rumoured Blood Glucose Level detection, ...
    Probably not going to happen. About the only way to get an accurate non-invasive blood sugar reading would be with a separate connected device such as an upgraded design of AirPods. In order to read blood sugar at the capillary level you need to either use light or RF passing through a very thin part of the skin such as an earlobe or the web of skin between the thumb and forefinger. A signal from a device that simply touches the skin is never going to give an accurate reading.