Startup seeks $200,000 from Apple over 'stolen' Shortcuts app icon

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anachr0n said:
    I’m no expert on how different is different enough. But I do think the resemblance would be enough to cause confusion. I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now people think they stole Apples logo. 

$200,00 is nothing when you consider what involved in re-branding a company.

Heck, Steve Jobs paid 1 million just to design the Next logo. 
    Jobs didn’t pay $1 million for a logo, he paid for Paul Rand’s lifetime of design experience.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    ascii said:
    They're not asking for a fortune, seems like a legitimate complaint rather than a rort.
    That’s the beauty part, so much less than most nuisance lawsuits that Apple could make this go away with pocket change. Less than it would cost to defend. P.S., hope they don’t. 
  • Reply 63 of 76
    Lol, they spent 200k on that POS logo... damn I am in such a wrong industry
  • Reply 64 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    slurpy said:
    Total horse-shit. I wouldn't mistake the 2 logos in a million years. Apple has always used those app shapes for logos and different marketing purposes. Also lol @ needing $200,000 to "rebrand".
    Yeah its more like they need $200,000 to get their product off the ground. They're trying to use Apple as a SharkTank investor here.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

"It's mind-blowing that Apple, the firm with the biggest cash pile in history, the firm that is so design oriented, had to copy our logo," a Shift spokesperson said. 
    lol, pull your head out of your ass. You don't honestly believe they copied your logo right?
    I'm sure the premise came to them in the same way it came to your designer. It's a very simple logo.

Maybe they are just salty because they both arrived at the same idea but Apple's version looks so much better.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    DrHowarthDrHowarth Posts: 1unconfirmed, member

You don't see them suing OndeSoft though for Setapp do you?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 67 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And I've explained why I have to. It's the only way my text stays within my comment space. If I don't write in bold the cursor jumps in the previous comment's window. 
    How the hell is that a problem? Are you using Netscape or something?
  • Reply 68 of 76
    longfanglongfang Posts: 450member
    wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    It worse to give in. Go the Newegg wsy and drag them through the court process.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    Shift: "Oh look, deep pockets!" Judge to Shift: "Get outa here!"
  • Reply 70 of 76
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    When you have dollar signs in your iris, a lot of things can look similar.
  • Reply 71 of 76
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    wizard69 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple paid up.  Maybe they could win but it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept.  As such it looks really bad if Apple is seen beating up on a startup.  
    I don't know how one can exactly define in a court of law what "copying the concept" means and at what point does it cross into IP theft.  Apple will not be seen as beating up on a startup but as beating up on a two-bit extortionist masquerading as a startup.  Real startups have more important things to do than file frivolous shoot-the-moon lawsuits.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 72 of 76
    The idea of taking two things to make an S is super common, just look at the Shazam logo. Also it superficially looks like the colour palette is the same because Apple uses a blue to green gradient (so does everybody else in so many logos these days) and then up top there's a sort of magenta to borderline orange gradient going on. Yes in a gradient you're going to have a lot of colours that can sort of look like another person's thing. (Heck the guys behind Affinity Photo and Designer could complain that their two apps' palettes are in this!) They didn't rip off the logo, nobody would confuse these two, and there's a decent change the person who designed it had never heard of the company before.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I hope these clowns aren’t trying to raise venture capital as they are obviously too stupid to be managing a company.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    wizard69 said:
    What an ignorant comment. The two logos/designs aren’t even close. And you think “it is pretty obvious that soneone at Apple copied the concept”?  I suggest you pack your 13,000+ comments up and go home.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Can't be the same.. It doesn't have rounded corners.
    dasanman69