Nomad's upgraded Battery Cable simplifies on-the-go iPhone charging

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Nomad's popular Battery Cable, which integrates a battery pack into a Lightning-enabled charging cable, has received a significant upgrade, with the second-generation version enhanced by a more robust exterior, higher capacity battery and other changes.

Nomad Battery Cable

Keeping iPhone charged on the go can seem like an insurmountable task. Power users are likely familiar with the assortment of power adapters, batteries and cables that need to be toted along as everyday carry, and each accessory seems to have its own set of problems.

Enter the Nomad Battery Cable. The combination cable and battery pack not only cuts down on excess luggage, but simplifies the charging process. It's a must-have when we head out of the office.

Power on-the-go

Using the Nomad is dead-simple. Just plug it in and use it as a typical Lightning charging cable. With an iPhone is attached and the cable is plugged in to a USB outlet, the phone will charge first, then the in-line battery. When you head out, unplug the cable from the wall and the built-in battery will be charged up, ready to go. No more worrying about whether your portable battery pack has juice.

Nomad Battery Cable

In addition to the battery, Nomad includes a number of other, equally smart design decisions. Super-strong nylon envelops the cable's length, preventing tangling and protecting the reinforced interior. Nomad says they flex tested this cable up to 10,000 times before it failed.

Battery Cable comes in at a lengthy 1.5 meters, but a handy silicone cable tie keeps it organized.

What's new in V2?

Nomad Battery Cable

Version two of this capable cable is even more useful with four changes -- two big and two small.

Battery capacity has increased from 2,350 mAh to 2,800 mAh, which is enough to fully charge an iPhone X. That is roughly a 20 percent increase in battery size, without increasing the physical dimensions of the battery enclosure.

That enclosure is now inside an aluminum tube instead of the plastic body that covered the first version. Aluminum not only looks and feels better, but it should offer increased durability as well.

A few other small changes include a slightly thinner cable with a darker nylon color. The custom cable tie has been relocated from the short half near the USB-A end to the longer side that has the Lightning connector. This should make it a bit easier to wrap up the cable when only a portion is needed.

• Nomad Battery Cable
  • Nomad Battery Cable
  • Nomad Battery Cable

Conclusion

Having an always-charged battery built into a super-strong Lightning cable can be an indispensable tool for iPhone owners constantly seeking an outlet to top off their device. Nomad's solution is compact in size, lightweight and has come in handy more times than we can count. It is able to provide adequate backup power before we know we need it, and now it can handle our iPhone X.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Where to buy

The upgraded V2 Battery Cable is available to order now from Nomad's website for $49.95, the same price as the original.

Nomad has a pile of other Lightning cables as well including powerful 100W USB-C cables, universal cables, and rugged weatherproof models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I don't mean to be a dick, but I don't understand how you give a new product "5 out of 5 stars" when it's incompatible with every Macbook* released in the last three years.

(*by "macbook", I mean the modern ecosystem including Macbooks, Macbook chargers and high-speed iOS chargers)

USB-C or GTFO
    edited June 2018 caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    That’s a bit unnecessary, Eric.
    Mind you, I would take issue with USD$49.95 for a 2,800 mAh battery, regardless of its other features. That is waaaay above the price of competitor products.  So automatic downgrade of at least two stars right there.
    edit: actually i would take another two stars off as 2,800 mAh just isn’t worth it at half the price. There are any number of just as compact chargers at half the price but around 5,000 mAh, which takes care of any battery power transfer inefficiencies. An xtra cable isn’t that inconvenient. So one star ⭐️ sight unseen, and happy for it to stay that way.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I don't mean to be a dick, but I don't understand how you give a new product "5 out of 5 stars" when it's incompatible with every Macbook* released in the last three years.

(*by "macbook", I mean the modern ecosystem including Macbooks, Macbook chargers and high-speed iOS chargers)

USB-C or GTFO
    N likewise, "I don't mean to be a ...", but you did not choose the title of the thread, which contains the word "iPhone", which by definition means connecting via lighting.

"In the end, it all boils down to this. USB Type-C was supposed to be this amazing platform that could enable people to carry just one cable to do a bunch of things together, but the poor implementation has led to an even more complicated and cluttered ecosystem that just makes Apple’s Lightning connector far more practical despite USB Type-C’s diverse capabilities."

responding to the entire article/post, a decade ago, I might have used one of these. After going to(wasting so much of my life for the thousandth time dealing with those 'brillaintly' trained 'geniuses' @Apple Store, being told that I could not have a absurdly placed(at the corner instead of center, where probability is much higher for accidental breakage>>> sapphire lens cover that is worth what $1-3? replaced, Apple will not do it, they told me...must buy a new iPhone model xxx?

I bought a cheapo battery charging case for protection> to kill d bird with 2 stones...er something like that old saying :wink: , Simphee, 2500ma for ip6(newer version, not always seen on Amazon) & 3600ma ip+, both give me all-day runtime when I"m on the bus for in rush hour traffic for 6hrs frantically trying to get some damned correct transit routing via some craptastic mobile version of Google Maps or Apples 'Maps'<<<not much luck...nothing to carry with me like some cable I always am searching for @home or in the car...simple: #ditchthecord.

• Reply 4 of 19
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Eric_WVGG said:

USB-C or GTFO
    N likewise, "I don't mean to be a ...", but you did not choose the title of the thread, which contains the word "iPhone", which by definition means connecting via lighting.

"In the end, it all boils down to this. USB Type-C was supposed to be this amazing platform that could enable people to carry just one cable to do a bunch of things together, but the poor implementation has led to an even more complicated and cluttered ecosystem that just makes Apple’s Lightning connector far more practical despite USB Type-C’s diverse capabilities."

responding to the entire article/post, a decade ago, I might have used one of these. After going to(wasting so much of my life for the thousandth time dealing with those 'brillaintly' trained 'geniuses' @Apple Store, being told that I could not have a absurdly placed(at the corner instead of center, where probability is much higher for accidental breakage>>> sapphire lens cover that is worth what $1-3? replaced, Apple will not do it, they told me...must buy a new iPhone model xxx?

I bought a cheapo battery charging case for protection> to kill d bird with 2 stones...er something like that old saying :wink: , Simphee, 2500ma for ip6(newer version, not always seen on Amazon) & 3600ma ip+, both give me all-day runtime when I"m on the bus for in rush hour traffic for 6hrs frantically trying to get some damned correct transit routing via some craptastic mobile version of Google Maps or Apples 'Maps'<<<not much luck...nothing to carry with me like some cable I always am searching for @home or in the car...simple: #ditchthecord.

He’s talking about the end you plug into your computer, not the Lightning port. We all have modern MacBooks and MacBook Pros with USB-C. So now I would have to carry  an additional adapter to either charge the battery cable, or an adapter to connect it to my MacBook Pro. 

In the end, this product does not make sense to me. Instead of carrying a single cable I can plug into my Mac to charge my phone, I now would carry a big, bulky cable with an ugly tumor and additional equipment to charge it. Instead, I bought a high-powered battery pack that I can use with my Mac (thanks USB-C) and charge with my Mac power cord (thanks USB-C) and charge my phone and I’ve added.... just the battery pack that I take when I need it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I have to agree that $49.95 for a cable plus 2500 ma battery is a lot of money. Since you already have at least one cable, spend the money on a nice, much larger capacity, battery. Or not.

How is this 5 out of 5 stars?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Eric_WVGG said:

USB-C or GTFO
    Very simply Eric, third-party USB-C Lightning cords don’t exist. Apple doesn’t allow them. They are working within the constraints posed by Apple. Had that been allowed, they assuredly would have done that. As far as what Apple allows, there is nothing I’d want different on this cable. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    entropys said:
    Mind you, I would take issue with USD$49.95 for a 2,800 mAh battery, regardless of its other features. That is waaaay above the price of competitor products.  So automatic downgrade of at least two stars right there.
    edit: actually i would take another two stars off as 2,800 mAh just isn’t worth it at half the price. There are any number of just as compact chargers at half the price but around 5,000 mAh, which takes care of any battery power transfer inefficiencies. An xtra cable isn’t that inconvenient. So one star ⭐️ sight unseen, and happy for it to stay that way.
    If you look at Lightning cables first, most rugged ones will run you around $30. Belkin, Native Union, Alto, etc. it has a lot going on just in the cord. Nylon wrapped, polyamide interior, and the cable tie all make the cable itself add up. The battery isn’t huge when compared to battery packs, but a whole extra charge is pretty awesome. $20 for that battery seems fair, but you’re also buying a $20-30 Lightning cable. Then the $50 price seems better
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    Eric_WVGG said:

USB-C or GTFO
    Very simply Eric, third-party USB-C Lightning cords don’t exist. Apple doesn’t allow them. They are working within the constraints posed by Apple. Had that been allowed, they assuredly would have done that. As far as what Apple allows, there is nothing I’d want different on this cable. 
    Amazon has USB-C to Lightning cables for $9.99. I bought one last week. Nice cable.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:

USB-C or GTFO
    Hey Eric. 

Just to chime in here real quick, I'm Chuck and I do the marketing over at Nomad. 

I agree, doing a USB-C > Lightning style cable for most if not all our cables would be fantastic. Unfortunately, the current MFi ecosystem prevents 3rd parties from doing so. As soon as that restriction is opened up, you can bet we'll be ready with some new gear. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    entropys said:
    We appreciate the feedback. We're always working to get costs down and hope to do so in the future. For reference this cable is available for the same cost as our original, smaller, and plastic encased battery cable. 
    watto_cobracaladanian
  • Reply 11 of 19
    2old4fun said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

USB-C or GTFO
    Amazon has USB-C to Lightning cables for $9.99. I bought one last week. Nice cable.
    See, what you bought was an unauthorized third-party cable. It quite likely uses a counterfeit chip and can possibly damage your phone. It is against Apple’s MFi license to sell USB-C Lightning cables. Any being sold are actually illegally using Apple’s Lightning IP without paying for it and Apple has been cracking down on them for a while.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I don't mean to be a dick...

USB-C or GTFO
    Yeah, you do. And you've succeeded.

Very simply Eric, [MFi] third-party USB-C Lightning cords don’t exist. Apple doesn’t allow them. They are working within the constraints posed by Apple. Had that been allowed, they assuredly would have done that. As far as what Apple allows, there is nothing I’d want different on this cable. 

2old4fun said:
    A unsanctioned not made for iPhone USB-C cable plugged into an AC adapter. What could possibly go wrong.

Not that every third party USB-C poses a threat to devices, of course. But were this cable something I'd use, that $10 is better spent on an adapter for the Type A end and not sweat it. As the owner of a 2015 MacBook, I've done that more than once.

The Nomad seems to be a unique product. A bigger power brick and separate cable are certainly a more versatile option, if bulkier than the somewhat bulky Nomad.

It's a niche product, to be sure. That's the problem with niche products - there's always somebody who doesn't work within that niche and wants it to work for them.

I keep a small cylindrical battery pack handy to give my failing iPhone battery a little sip. With that is the USB-A to Lightning connector. And the USB-A to micro-USB cable for charging. If needed I suppose the three pieces could be put in a jacket pocket, something not quite as easily accomplished with the Nomad. But for a bag, pack, or car, I see an advantage with a one-piece solution. IF/when Apple allows a USB-C MFiPhone version, that would be even better.

Rating a product for what it is seems just as valid as rating it for what it isn't, if not more so. Shop accordingly. 
    NomadChuckcaladanian
  • Reply 13 of 19
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    entropys said:
    If you look at Lightning cables first, most rugged ones will run you around $30. Belkin, Native Union, Alto, etc. it has a lot going on just in the cord. Nylon wrapped, polyamide interior, and the cable tie all make the cable itself add up. The battery isn’t huge when compared to battery packs, but a whole extra charge is pretty awesome. $20 for that battery seems fair, but you’re also buying a $20-30 Lightning cable. Then the $50 price seems better
    3 ft Anker, aramid fiber/double braided nylon is $16 for a pair.  $29 for a pair of 6 ft cables.  Comes in a carry pouch.

Anker 5000 mAh PowerCore5000 $18 - charges at 5V 2A.  

Charging while using doesn't do great things for overall battery longevity.

I use the PowerCore Slim 10000 since it's the same footprint as my iPhone 7.  Been an Anker fan since the time the replaced a defective battery quickly with no hassles.

I have a larger 26800 ravpower with usb-c I use on travel. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I'm just saying, mark it 4/5 stars and say "it's a shame that a perfect device is not allowable by Apple at this time." Don't let them off the hook for making this ecosystem such a mess. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    entropys said:
    It’s not just about the size of the battery but the quality of the product. If Apple made this device it’d be priced much higher than $50 and the cable wouldn’t be near as rugged. In that sense, and including the aluminum housing, it’s worth the price. I’d like if were cheaper, but fifty for this quality and these materials isn’t crazy. For the price Anker stuff is, there’s simply no way that company could afford the level of quality afforded by a more expensive product. Good testing is expensive and needs to be funded. Cheap is always cheap.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 16 of 19
    ireland said:
    entropys said:
    It’s not just about the size of the battery but the quality of the product. If Apple made this device it’d be priced much higher than $50 and the cable wouldn’t be near as rugged. In that sense, and including the aluminum housing, it’s worth the price. I’d like if were cheaper, but fifty for this quality and these materials isn’t crazy. For the price Anker stuff is, there’s simply no way that company could afford the level of quality afforded by a more expensive product. Good testing is expensive and needs to be funded. Cheap is always cheap.
    There are always budget cables. Anker makes a name for itself by providing pretty solid products at affordable prices. That said, it isn’t anywhere near the “premium” end of the market companies like Nomad, Belkin, Native Union, all live. 

Also, what you had above is their older model. They are probably just clearing it out. Their current PowerLine+ II is $18 for a single 6 ft cable, if you choose red. Know what it runs for the 6ft black Lightning cable? Just about $30... https://amzn.to/2t1cz2I

That puts it in nearly the same price range as Nomad.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    ireland said:
    entropys said:
    There are always budget cables. Anker makes a name for itself by providing pretty solid products at affordable prices. That said, it isn’t anywhere near the “premium” end of the market companies like Nomad, Belkin, Native Union, all live. 

Also, what you had above is their older model. They are probably just clearing it out. Their current PowerLine+ II is $18 for a single 6 ft cable, if you choose red. Know what it runs for the 6ft black Lightning cable? Just about $30... https://amzn.to/2t1cz2I

That puts it in nearly the same price range as Nomad.
    1) The red, silver or gold is $18.  The black looks like an oddball price at the moment.
    2) Anker CS > Belkin CS.  Haven't dealt with the others.
    3) Premium Quality?
    • 10' Anker Powerline+ II $20 has 6% one star rating.  http://a.co/0uPSCwA (yes, black one too)
    • The 6' Anker Powerline+ II has only 4% one star rating.
    Who has better level of quality and customer satisfaction?  
    • The Nomad and Native Union is tested to 10,000 flexions/bends.  The Anker to 30,000 bends.
    • The Nomad has a 2 year warranty.  The Anker has a lifetime warranty.  Native Union also has a lifetime warranty.
    • The Nomad does have thicker wires than Anker: 20 AWG vs 24 AWG.  Native Union doesn't say.
    • Interesting that Nomad says they have a polyamide central core...while Kevlar is a polyamide so is Nylon.  Aramid is the usual generic naming if you can't say Kevlar.  Native Union specifies that their core is Kevlar.  Not sure that I really care though as the Anker supports 175lb.  I guess if I'm hanging off a building by my lighting cable I'll be sad that I'm using Anker and not Native Union.
    Are you getting a premium product from Native Union and Nomad or just a premium price? Because based on customer satisfaction, warranty and materials the Anker looks more premium for half the price.

• Reply 18 of 19
      entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
      Anker are pretty well made stuff. I have a couple of their braided cables and they are quite robust.
      That said after reading some of the comments on this thread about the nomad’s build quality I am a  more charitable towards the it and it’s pricing.  
    • Reply 19 of 19
      Can't use it for both iPhone X AND iPad...no thanks.