Apple's 2019 iPhone lineup may mark the end of the Lightning connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    As Bill Burr says "Steve Jobs.  New phone doesn't fit the old charger. This is your guy?"  

• Reply 22 of 62
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I see no reason why Apple would change from Lightning to USB-C on the iphone.  it's just another dumb rumor.   I think if anything, Apple would drop the phone then move to USB-C. and I don't want Apple to do either of that.  Everyone has lightning cables at this point.  I have a bunch of them.  I have a pretty long one that goes to the middle of my bed.  I can plug my iPhone or iPad into that and have it charging as I'm using it.  Something you can't do with the fake wireless charging. 
    <br><br>
    I don't have anything that's USB-C at this point in time, other than I think my AppleTV 4 has USB-C on the back, though Apple tossed that with the 4K version.  Why worry over a rumor?
    baconstangpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    This would definitely make things more convenient - you could use the same charging brick for your MacBook as well as your iPhone, or simply use the same double USB C cable for your computer and phone. Having a single standard connector would make public charging much easier as well. That said, I agree with Redgeminipa - I find plugging the USB C cable in my MacBook Pro to be a pain. The old MagSafe connector was infinitely easier, and I would tend to think the lightning connector would be more robust since it doesn't have the center tongue as someone else mentioned above. In the end, Apple will do what ever they want. They dont' seem to give a damn about convenience - it's more about their vision of what electronics should be.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I have to wonder if fast charging phone batteries will shorten their lives as must as it can do with some Electric Car Batteries?
    I know that the chemical composition is different but it would be nice to know.
    probably, as does overcharging. My phones are useless after about 18 months but I am continually plugging them in and out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    a supply chain report claims...

Oh never mind.
    muthuk_vanalingamRayz2016watto_cobraAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 26 of 62
    mazda 3s said:
    Although I wonder what would happen if you were to plug a 2019 iPhone into a 15-inch MacBook Pro USB-C charger?
    Nothing bad. Modern electronics can manage power, voltage and current easily. I would guess it wouyld be charging just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 62
    I'm suspicious of this since USB-C adapters may make the iPhone much more vulnerable to hacking.
    Why? You can intercept data on any connector. It does not make difference what connector you use. The key is transfer protocol and encryption just like on network. It is as simple as that.
    dysamoriaAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 28 of 62
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I dislike USB C, Who the frack throught that was actually better than lightning.
    The lightning connector is foolproof and robust.
    edited June 2018 baconstangwatto_cobraAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Not happening. If anything, Apple with start to include the USB-C to Lightning. USB-C ports are physically larger than Lightning, taking up valuable space inside an iOS device. 

My MacBook has USB-C, and I HATE plugging it in. Compared to Lightning, it's cumbersome, and feels fragile. 
    "Micro USB-C" and that may happen just like we went from regular USB to microUSB.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Mazda 3s
    " I just wake up with a dead phone by pillow."

I saw that scene. Godfather 6 if I remember correctly.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 62
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    mazda 3s said:
    mac_128 said:
    mike1 said:
    brucemc said:
    Doesn't seem to make any sense to change away from Lightning.  As noted, it is possible for iPhones to have fast charging provided it is a USB-C at the other end and the right power adapter.  What other benefits are there (other than "I don't have to carry a separate cable for my other theoretical devices...")?

I would say the next move Apple makes is to do away with such a port completely - going with inductive charging completely and high speed wireless.  That might not be for a number of years, but switching to USB-C on the iPhone itself seems an "un-Apple" move.

Wireless charging is not for everyone. Personally, not being able to use the phone or iPad while it's charging is a major problem for me.
    To be clear, you’re saying you’re against this because you can’t use an iPhone X while it’s charging?
    For me, yes. I have a wireless charger on my nightstand for my iPhone X and a 10-ft Lightning cable that I also use for charging. I usually fall asleep in bed flipping through my iPhone. Considering that I normally doze off somewhere in between browsing on my phone, the wireless charging pad has become useless to me -- I just wake up with a dead phone by pillow. But when I plug it in to the charger at night, I can still lay in bed, browse, fall asleep, let it charge and wakeup in the morning with a topped off device.

The only time I really use the wireless charger is in the car, where I am not actively using the phone.
    That’s why I mix and match. On my nightstand I have a wireless charger because I don’t use my phone in bed. When I walk in the bedroom to go to sleep I just plop it in there and lie down and go to sleep. In the living room I use a 10ft lightning cable because I have an outlet right next to where I sit on the couch so I just set the phone on the arm of the couch when not being used and the cable doesn’t get in the way. At my desk, I am constantly picking up and putting my phone down and a cable was cumbersome so I use a wireless charger there as well.
    baconstangAlex1N
  • Reply 32 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mazda 3s said:
    mac_128 said:
    mike1 said:
    brucemc said:
    Doesn't seem to make any sense to change away from Lightning.  As noted, it is possible for iPhones to have fast charging provided it is a USB-C at the other end and the right power adapter.  What other benefits are there (other than "I don't have to carry a separate cable for my other theoretical devices...")?

I would say the next move Apple makes is to do away with such a port completely - going with inductive charging completely and high speed wireless.  That might not be for a number of years, but switching to USB-C on the iPhone itself seems an "un-Apple" move.

Wireless charging is not for everyone. Personally, not being able to use the phone or iPad while it's charging is a major problem for me.
    To be clear, you’re saying you’re against this because you can’t use an iPhone X while it’s charging?
    For me, yes. I have a wireless charger on my nightstand for my iPhone X and a 10-ft Lightning cable that I also use for charging. I usually fall asleep in bed flipping through my iPhone. Considering that I normally doze off somewhere in between browsing on my phone, the wireless charging pad has become useless to me -- I just wake up with a dead phone by pillow. But when I plug it in to the charger at night, I can still lay in bed, browse, fall asleep, let it charge and wakeup in the morning with a topped off device.

The only time I really use the wireless charger is in the car, where I am not actively using the phone.
    I recommend not allowing yourself the habit of leaving your phone on your bed while charging, just in case of battery fires, however rare.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    asdasd said:
    I have to wonder if fast charging phone batteries will shorten their lives as must as it can do with some Electric Car Batteries?
    I know that the chemical composition is different but it would be nice to know.
    probably, as does overcharging. My phones are useless after about 18 months but I am continually plugging them in and out. 
    18 months????
  • Reply 34 of 62
    epicurusepicurus Posts: 29member
    id prefer staying with the lightning, it’s pipeline for future speed and performance in my opinion is better then the usb offering... just as my firewire hard drives performed better then its usb counterpart years ago. 
    watto_cobraAlex1Nchia
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Lightening port for better form factor and robustness - with all the functionality and performance of USB 3.1/Lightening. Advantage on mobile devices at least.  Maybe right for my MacBook Pro as well with my plugging/unplugging external devices every time I head to work.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 62
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    gutengel said:
    I don't really see Apple dropping the lightning connector. Lightning is smaller, more robust/durable, better designed than USB-C, plus MFi program makes some bucks to Apple while they can do some quality control. I would say they'd go completely wireless after lighting.

However, it'd be pretty cool if they implemented the Smart Connector (from the iPad Pro) across the line as support and accessory port, but it doesn't feel like they are really pushing that connector into the market.
    My experience with the defects of my lightning cables/connectors and my USB-C cables/connector is crystal clear:  USB-C is more robust and the difference is not close.  And it is very logical: the contacts of a lightning male connector are naked.  The contacts of a USB-C male connector are inside the connector.

It is not without reason that on Mac Apple has moved fully to USB-C
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I haven't had a USB-C cable fail yet, while Lightning cables, especially Apple's own-brand cables, rarely seem to make it past a year unless they're static.

Here's hoping.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    How does a MacBook know/decide whether to draw power from or provide power to a device you plug into one of its USB-C ports?  In the old days it was easy, you plugged things into (powered) USB-C ports to charge them (e.g., a battery pack or a phone).  But now MacBooks can draw power in through the same port.  So, in theory, I could power my MacBook from my iPhone or vice versa.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    cropr said:
    gutengel said:
    I don't really see Apple dropping the lightning connector. Lightning is smaller, more robust/durable, better designed than USB-C, plus MFi program makes some bucks to Apple while they can do some quality control. I would say they'd go completely wireless after lighting.

However, it'd be pretty cool if they implemented the Smart Connector (from the iPad Pro) across the line as support and accessory port, but it doesn't feel like they are really pushing that connector into the market.
    My experience with the defects of my lightning cables/connectors and my USB-C cables/connector is crystal clear:  USB-C is more robust and the difference is not close.  And it is very logical: the contacts of a lightning male connector are naked.  The contacts of a USB-C male connector are inside the connector.

It is not without reason that on Mac Apple has moved fully to USB-C
    Nonsense.  Apple moved to USB-C because it's the industry standard.  We'd all be better off if USB-C adopted the lightning physical specifications.
    tmayRayz2016pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 62
    It would be nice to have one cable for all Apple products without the the need to purchase adapters anymore, but Apple would not be able to make money on that except for older products, it will be interesting to see what they do in the near future with newer products.