macOS Mojave will include 'Plug & Play' support for HTC Vive Pro headset

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2018
Apple will make it easy for owners of the HTC Vive Pro to use their virtual reality headset with their Mac, with the company advising it has worked directly with HTC and Valve to add support for the peripheral to macOS Mojave.

Announced during the Metal for VR presentation during WWDC 2018 last week, spotted by Road to VR, Karol Gasinski of Apple's GPU Software Architecture Team confirmed the support for the HTC Vive Pro, adding it will be "plug-and-play" with macOS 10.14.

"We've been working very closely with both Valve and HTC to make sure Vive Pro is supported in SteamVR runtime on macOS," Gasinski advised.

The HTC Vive Pro uses a pair of 1440 by 1600 AMOLED displays with a pixel density of 615 ppi, a 37-percent increase in pixel density and a 78-percent increase in resolution compared to the previous Vive headset. The headset also includes stereo cameras mounted to the front, allowing it to be used in mixed reality applications, and also supports SteamVR Tracking System 2.0, which can increase the available space the headset can be tracked within.

Support for VR headsets was included in macOS High Sierra, alongside similar changes enabling the use of external graphics card enclosures to improve the graphical power of the connected Mac. Last year, Valve launched SteamVR for macOS, extending the framework from PC to work with compatible Macs, and simplifying development for games to work across both platforms.

Under Metal 2, Apple's graphics architecture builds on top of the existing version of Metal, with features including GPU-controlled pipelines, accelerated machine learning training, and improved processing of ray-triangle intersections for rendering. More importantly, Metal 2 also includes specialized support for Mac systems using external GPUs and for VR headsets.

Apple's push to adopt Metal 2 has come under fire from developers, after it was revealed OpenGL and OpenCL will be deprecated in macOS Mojave. Apple confirmed in developer documentation that the older cross-platform graphics technologies will be gradually phased out, which could cause issues for multi-platform development, as well as for older OpenGL-based games to remain functional in future macOS releases.

Though the additional support for the HTC Vive Pro was made during WWDC, it isn't included within the initial betas of macOS 10.14 provided to developers. It is likely that support will be included in a future developer beta build, ahead of the operating system's expected release in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jorgiejorgie Posts: 38member
    With the small number of gamers on OSX, what is the motivation for developers who use OpenGL on other platforms to put in the extra work to support Metal? Apple has a history of supporting and unexpectedly abandoning game developers, has something actually changed in this regard? 
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I would think then that Macs with better GPU's are on the horizon. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    horvatichorvatic Posts: 144member
    Let's just celebrate that they are putting the drivers in the OS natively and go from there.
    bcodewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    jorgie said:
    With the small number of gamers on OSX, what is the motivation for developers who use OpenGL on other platforms to put in the extra work to support Metal? Apple has a history of supporting and unexpectedly abandoning game developers, has something actually changed in this regard? 
    Practically nobody actually uses OpenGL anymore -- pretty much all of the games currently under development are being developed under Vulkan anyway, I'm not a huge gaming geek, but I don't know of any recent games that still rely on OpenGL.

OS X/iOS specific game developers would have already started moving to Metal, and for the few that haven't, the Kronos group just announced they are working on a portability API for making Vulkan games run on OS X/iOS (gotta say though, it's absolute garbage that Apple chooses not to natively support Vulkan).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Are there any VR apps or games that actually work on the Mac? Simply getting the device to connect doesn't accomplish a whole lot.  I bought Vive after I got my MacPro because of the macOS High Sierra support, but find anything to run on it.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    Or better drivers might help too.  At freakin' last Boot Camp got new AMD drivers not long ago and my Mac Pro in Windows 10 running GTA V went from 60 f.p.s. at 2560 x 1440 to 160 f.p.s  and over 60 f.p.s. in 4K.  I was shocked.  Drivers it seems can make a huge difference to games.  It's taken bloody years for this update, all those frames wasted ... / sigh
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Does this mean my MacPro’s second GPU will actually be fired up?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Does this mean my MacPro’s second GPU will actually be fired up?
    In BootCamp, as I am sure you know, but for others it's worth pointing out, the second GPU in a Mac Pro is fired up in Windows 10 as Catalyst  (which has its own control panel) is fully supported with application profiles.   I posted above , it just got a massive boost after waiting years for Apple to release a driver update from AMD to catch up to PCs.  Sadly, Mac OS only uses the second GPU for computation in FCPro and similar apps from Apple and has no ability to use them for graphics in tandem.  

It has always baffled be why Apple went out of their way to cripple Catalyst in Mac OS.  I totally get the specific use for FCPro and that Catalyst doesn't work for everything, some graphic applications are better with a single GPU, hence Catalyst has a profile mode where you simply add apps to the Catalyst interface for the best GPU set up on an app by app basis.  FCPro could have been added and used the set up it wants.  I can only wonder if  Mac OS not having Catalyst was a licensing issue?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    MacPro said:
    macxpress said:
    Or better drivers might help too.  At freakin' last Boot Camp got new AMD drivers not long ago and my Mac Pro in Windows 10 running GTA V went from 60 f.p.s. at 2560 x 1440 to 160 f.p.s  and over 60 f.p.s. in 4K.  I was shocked.  Drivers it seems can make a huge difference to games.  It's taken bloody years for this update, all those frames wasted ... / sigh
    Yeah I've noticed too that the Mac drivers for NVIDIA and AMD kinda suck compared to the Windows variants.