Judge rules AT&T can complete $85B acquisition of Time Warner

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Kill net neutrality so cable operators can control what you see, how fast you see it and how much you pay to see it.
    You know nothing whatsoever about the topic you’re failing to discuss. The big three engine companies, as well as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter already control everything you see and how quickly you see it. Quit whining about a problem that never existed before your fake “neutrality” and care about the only problem that actually matters. You want to talk about controlling the narrative, bucko, you talk about AP and Reuters, as well as the 6 media companies. The ISPs don’t even factor in.
    Step #2 -- Merge cable operators with content providers so you get fewer choices.
    Feel free to bring an antitrust suit to the courts. If there’s one thing we don’t need, it’s the 6 media companies who create 100% of Western media to be reduced even further. If you’re dumb enough to think you can vote anyone into government who will actually stop that, feel free to try, I guess.
    Meanwhile the so called free marketers are having orgasms -- while their precious free market is being trashed.  Such fools!
    No, you’re just literally brainwashed (by the definition of the word) and know nothing about anything you’re saying other than what you were told to repeat without question.

EDIT: At least we know that things will be business as usual in some places.  ;)

That was so full of right wing bull it's really not even worth responding to -- except to call bull to the bull...

You really need to get your head out of your FauxNews....   It stinks up there!
    edited June 2018 MacPro
  • Reply 22 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's time for Apple to buy T-Mobile.
    I had been making that argument for years (along with Apple getting into the financial services sector), to no avail.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    frankie said:
    Yeah, the freedom to get screwed.  Great.
    Explain what the (unconstitutional) “net neutrality” bill did to fix the problem of ISPs colluding with one another to have literal monopolies in most cities and regions of the country.
    Gee!  I didn't realize that FauxNews had declared it unconstitutional.  Thanks for letting we who live in the real world know about that!

(And, BTW, net neutrality had nothing to do with busting the regional cable monopolies.   I guess FauxNews misled you.   Again.)
    MacPro
  • Reply 24 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    That was so full of right wing bull it's really not even worth responding to
    So you have no argument. So you can’t respond coherently to my older post on the subject. So you can’t answer my question about what “net neutrality” did for ISP collusion and monopolies.
    You really need to get your head out of your FauxNews
    Fox is leftist. I don’t much care for propaganda. I don’t watch it.
    GeorgeBMac said:
    Gee!  I didn't realize that FauxNews had declared it unconstitutional.
    Learn what words mean before you use them. Show us where in the Constitution it says the federal government has the power to control the Internet in such a fashion.
    net neutrality had nothing to do with busting the regional cable monopolies
    Hey, thanks for admitting that the “net neutrality” bill did nothing to fix the actual–and ongoing–problem with ISPs, and also did nothing to keep the Internet’s content (and serving of content) neutrally accessible!
    I guess FauxNews misled you.   Again.)
    Nowhere was this said or implied. I don’t watch Fox and don’t like their content, but I’ll certainly “defend” them if all you’re going to do is post strawmen to misconstrue their position. Because the only goddamn thing that matters to me is truth.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    I did respond...  I called Bull on your crazy rant 
    Thanks for admitting you were wrong. Just don’t post next time when you have nothing to add. By the way, on page 1397 (on the document; 1439 in the PDF itself), where this bill says, “The purpose of the Center shall be to lead, synchronize, and coordinate efforts of the Federal Government to recognize, understand, expose, and counter foreign state and non-state propaganda and disinformation efforts aimed at undermining United States national security interests.That doesn’t raise any questions for you? Such as “How do they define propaganda?” Can you answer that question for me? What do you think to yourself when you read, “Maintain, collect, use, and disseminate records for research and data analysis of foreign state and non-state propaganda…”? Give your thoughts on why the agency was not being created independently of the other governmental groups, as outlined here: “the Secretary of State… …shall establish within the Department of State a Global Engagement Center…What do you think of when you read the following: “The head of the Center… shall be appointed by the President.When you read “…the use of covert or clandestine special operators and agents to influence targeted populations and governments in order to coordinate and shape the development of tactics, techniques, and procedures to expose and refute foreign misinformation and disinformation...” what are your thoughtsCan you speak on the impartiality of the Center when it is ordered to do the following: “Second, the legislation seeks to leverage expertise from outside government… provide grants and contracts to NGOs, civil society organizations, think tanks, private sector companies, media organizations, and other experts outside the US government…”? Finally, are you capable of pointing to the Constitutional power granted to the federal government which allows it to do the following: “The Center will develop, integrate, and synchronize whole-of-government initiatives to expose and counter foreign disinformation operations…”?

I would like you to address or answer the bold.

Also a big FUCK YOU to iOS 11.4, in which Safari crashed three times while I was writing this post, necessitating multiple rewrites.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 26 of 40
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    gutengel said:
    Just in time for the death of net neutrality! Buckle up and let's see what's going to be the first abusive move and how congress wont do anything to protect the people...
    Protect from what? You have been buckling up since 2016 with the expectations of all-around collapse.... which never came. 
    Just being you feel like something bad should happen, does not mean, it will. 
    There are other things that cause such bad outcomes, but none of them is your feelings.
    Loosening regulations on businesses offering internet access as product, ain't one of those things either.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 40
    tallest skil said:
    Explain what the (unconstitutional) “net neutrality” bill did to fix the problem of ISPs colluding with one another to have literal monopolies in most cities and regions of the country.
    Nothing, but it wasn't blessed by the blessing of the law...so, it must be bad! 
    I mean, didn't you remember how the law was passed so Apple could start creating new product called iPhone? 
    You don't? Yeah....me neither...
    edited June 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 28 of 40
    OK...  Here we go...  From CNBC:

"Because these cable giants are also Internet providers, they also have a theoretical weapon in their back pocket — the ability to throttle Netflix speeds in the new era without net neutrality safeguards, or at least charge customers for using data via Netflix while keeping home-grown cable applications exempt from usage caps."

So much for the "Free Market promotes competition" nonsense...
    MacPro
  • Reply 29 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    All this was sparked off IMHO because telcos are terrified of Netflix.  Netflix have completely disrupted the industry. The next move for Netflix I'd suggest is to get with Elon Musk and his  soon to be available low orbit satellite system for download streaming and break the need for them to be held hostage by land delivery cables now net neutrality has been deliberately messed with in the cable companies' favor.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 30 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Kill net neutrality so cable operators can control what you see, how fast you see it and how much you pay to see it.
    You know nothing whatsoever about the topic you’re failing to discuss. The big three engine companies, as well as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter already control everything you see and how quickly you see it. Quit whining about a problem that never existed before your fake “neutrality” and care about the only problem that actually matters. You want to talk about controlling the narrative, bucko, you talk about AP and Reuters, as well as the 6 media companies. The ISPs don’t even factor in.
    Step #2 -- Merge cable operators with content providers so you get fewer choices.
    Feel free to bring an antitrust suit to the courts. If there’s one thing we don’t need, it’s the 6 media companies who create 100% of Western media to be reduced even further. If you’re dumb enough to think you can vote anyone into government who will actually stop that, feel free to try, I guess.
    Meanwhile the so called free marketers are having orgasms -- while their precious free market is being trashed.  Such fools!
    No, you’re just literally brainwashed (by the definition of the word) and know nothing about anything you’re saying other than what you were told to repeat without question.

EDIT: At least we know that things will be business as usual in some places.  ;)

That was so full of right wing bull it's really not even worth responding to -- except to call bull to the bull...

It is truly amazing how the grudge against CNN grew out of a the jokes about faux news.  Fox's so called news program, where the stars expressed personal views all there time rather than reporting, was always simply entertainment, never a serious news organization but boy did the grudge get taken to extremes so that now every single genuine, hardworking and reliable news organization on Earth is deemed fake and only the entertainment version considered genuine.  I suspect new Superman movies will for the next two and a half years have to be released staring Bizarro..
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40

"Because these cable giants are also Internet providers, they also have a theoretical weapon in their back pocket — the ability to throttle Netflix speeds in the new era without net neutrality safeguards, or at least charge customers for using data via Netflix while keeping home-grown cable applications exempt from usage caps."

Free market does promote competition. That is why you are typing your comments from a device that does not cost a fortune to obtain (unlike it was in 1960s with first computers that were 1/100000s of a speed of modern smartphones, while costing millions). And guess what - there is no such law that mandates creation of such devices.

You really think that throttling will not incentivize some new startup to capitalize on that by disrupting the industry? 

tallest skil
  • Reply 32 of 40
    MacPro said:

It is truly amazing how the grudge against CNN grew out of a the jokes about faux news.  Fox's so called news program, where the stars expressed personal views all there time rather than reporting, was always simply entertainment, never a serious news organization but boy did the grudge get taken to extremes so that now every single genuine, hardworking and reliable news organization on Earth is deemed fake and only the entertainment version considered genuine.  I suspect new Superman movies will for the next two and a half years have to be released staring Bizarro..
    It is apparently much better to listen to some made up BS, passed on as news, than listen to some opinion on the actual facts. CNN discredited itself within the last 2 years so badly, that I would rather watch Fox, as it is lesser of two evils. CNN stopped being a journalist organization a long time ago and is only suited for narrative pushing to those who do not care about reality and facts.

And I was one of the people would brainlessly bash Fox 3-4 years ago, while watching CNN. Then I dared to start checking “facts“ CNN were reporting on.... because of that, I don't watch CNN anymore. I don't watch Fox either, preferring independent people who are actual journalists with the interest of reporting facts, instead of creating “facts”. But the irony is - nowdays Fox creates a lot less bs, than CNN in their “reports”. That is easily confirmed with fact checking. CNN does not even report on what is actually goung on in the world on in the US, unless it “fits the story”.

P.s. I don’t think you should even mention the word Bizzaro, with that “logic” of yours, ‘cause it comes as hypocritical.
    edited June 2018 tallest skil
  • Reply 33 of 40
    MacPro said:

FauxNews combines (some) news along with a heavy dose of propaganda and of it dressed up with talk show like entertainment.   It's best to not confuse it with actual news media -- except for political purposes...   In that case:  Let the false equivalencies fly!
    MacPro
  • Reply 34 of 40

Free market does promote competition. That is why you are typing your comments from a device that does not cost a fortune to obtain (unlike it was in 1960s with first computers that were 1/100000s of a speed of modern smartphones, while costing millions). And guess what - there is no such law that mandates creation of such devices.

You really think that throttling will not incentivize some new startup to capitalize on that by disrupting the industry? 

The best analogy to the totally free markets advocated by today's Libertarians is a highway without speed limits.   Yeh, you get where your going faster -- IF you survive.  Most sane people would choose survival.

It is a now common right wing mythology that regulations grew out of an out of control government focused on expanding its own power.   While one could come up with some examples of that, generally regulations grew out of abuses of the totally free market.  For instance:  we regulate the banksters because we learned what happens when we don't:   Fraud and Financial Disasters...   Likewise, we regulate essential services like gas, water and electric because then, everybody wins -- maybe nobody gets fabulously wealthy, but major disasters are avoided and everybody is served.  It's for the public good rather than the corporate good. 

Today, internet service has entered the realm of an essential service.   It is time to regulate it and allow the free flow of data over the wires without profit motivated interference from those organizations who control it.   Unfortunately, those large corporations managed to buy off the politicians and now they can abuse us with their power....

To trust a Comcast or Verizon more than you trust your own elected government is somewhere between pitiful and laughable.   But, that's the creed of the free marketers:  an either/or choice of "Corporation Good -- Government Bad".  The truth is:  both need each other and work best when they work together -- and ultimately we all win.
    MacPro
  • Reply 35 of 40
    MacPro said:

It is apparently much better to listen to some made up BS, passed on as news, than listen to some opinion on the actual facts. CNN discredited itself within the last 2 years so badly, that I would rather watch Fox, as it is lesser of two evils. CNN stopped being a journalist organization a long time ago and is only suited for narrative pushing to those who do not care about reality and facts.

And I was one of the people would brainlessly bash Fox 3-4 years ago, while watching CNN. Then I dared to start checking “facts“ CNN were reporting on.... because of that, I don't watch CNN anymore. I don't watch Fox either, preferring independent people who are actual journalists with the interest of reporting facts, instead of creating “facts”. But the irony is - nowdays Fox creates a lot less bs, than CNN in their “reports”. That is easily confirmed with fact checking. CNN does not even report on what is actually goung on in the world on in the US, unless it “fits the story”.

P.s. I don’t think you should even mention the word Bizzaro, with that “logic” of yours, ‘cause it comes as hypocritical.
    Bull!   All of it!
    MacPro
  • Reply 36 of 40
    LOL....
    Calling bull on the ravings of a thoroughly brainwashed right wing lunatic is hardly admitting one was wrong!
    So you can’t account for or justify any the claims you have made, cannot refute or respond to any of the statements or questions I have made and asked, and have absolutely no argument whatsoever, choosing instead to simply PERSONALLY ATTACK ME. Got it. Thanks. You were proven wrong and you admit it.
    You are either clinically insane–by the definition of the word–or you are illiterate–by the definition of the word. You do not understand what the free market, as a concept, is. You do not understand the current American economic situation. You do not understand what the ISPs are legally allowed to do. You do not understand what net neutrality is. You also do not understand what your “net neutrality” was.

You are literally saying “One regulation among thousands was removed, therefore the market is now free, therefore anything bad that happens is the fault of the ‘free market’,” and you think we’re going to believe you. Abject nonsense. You don’t even realize that the free market–as a concept–is an idealistic mathematical equation, and not an ENTITY. Why is it that leftists want to anthropomorphise this shit? It’s the exact same thing with communism. “The free market” as an object is nonsense. When you talk about “the market,” you are discussing the EVER-FLUCTUATING MATHEMATICAL EQUATION WITH HUNDREDS OF VARIABLES THAT DETERMINES ACCEPTABLE SELLING PRICES FOR GOODS AND SERVICES. You behave as though “demand” is a static concept. You behave as though “supply” is a static concept. You behave as though there is a global uniformity of prices for the same goods and services. This is all nonsense.

In short, you are arguing against the self-regulation (not ‘regulation’ the definition we’ve been using thus far, but rather “set [an apparatus] according to an external standard”) of the economy. You are arguing in favor of ARTIFICIAL BIASES to either supply or demand, such that the price of goods and services is ARTIFICIALLY REMOVED from the natural* point at which it is lowest. Since you want to consider “the market” as a static object, observe this graph and then ignore it because it’s fact that hurts your feelings.

*Here again we see that leftism is an unending struggle against the natural, the real, and the objectively true in favor of control, fantasy, and subjectivism.
    FauxNews combines (some) news along with a heavy dose of propaganda and of it dressed up with talk show like entertainment.   It's best to not confuse it with actual news media -- except for political purposes...   In that case:  Let the false equivalencies fly!
    All of the news corporations do that. Every last one of them. And not only because Obama made it legal to use domestic propaganda, because they were all doing it LONG before he repealed that government restriction.
    The best analogy to the totally free markets advocated by today's Libertarians is a highway without speed limits. It is a now common right wing mythology that regulations grew out of an out of control government focused on expanding its own power.
    Quick question (that you won’t answer): If you were to plot all the various political ideologies, how many dimensions would the plot have?
    we regulate the banksters because we learned what happens when we don't:   Fraud and Financial Disasters
    I could pull a Yuri Bezmenov on you right now and it would blow your mind. Sadly you’d also miss the point.
    To trust a Comcast or Verizon more than you trust your own elected government is somewhere between pitiful and laughable.
    And yet that’s exactly what you want to do by refusing to address the collusion and monopolies that the government expressly allows.
    But, that's the creed of the free marketers:  an either/or choice of "Corporation Good -- Government Bad".
    You don’t really seem to know what right-wing thought even is.
    GeorgeBMac said:
    Bull!   All of it!
    A stunning refutation. What an argument.
    edited June 2018 anton zuykov
  • Reply 37 of 40

The best analogy to the totally free markets advocated by today's Libertarians is a highway without speed limits.   Yeh, you get where your going faster -- IF you survive.  Most sane people would choose survival. 
    Have you ever heard of Germany and its autobahns? I guess, not.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    MacPro said:

Bull!   All of it!
    That is easy to disprove with this quote “Russian story is a big nothing burger”. How come that it is BULL, yet CNN made up and continue pushing a lie (they know it is a lie), if what I said about CNN is not true and it is jsut all bull?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Bull!  Just more of it! ... Repeating or expanding nonsense doesn't make it true -- unless you're a right wing lunatic...
    So you can’t account for or justify any the claims you have made, cannot refute or respond to any of the statements or questions I have made and asked, and have absolutely no argument whatsoever, choosing instead to simply PERSONALLY ATTACK ME. Got it. Thanks. You were proven wrong and you admit it.
    ...true Libertarianism has become an extreme and perverted mockery of true Libertarianism…
    I think you’re saying that libertarians are mocked through a reducto ad absurdum of their beliefs. And sure, that’s true.
    You might consider a reading comprehension course....
    MacPro
  • Reply 40 of 40

It is a now common right wing mythology that regulations grew out of an out of control government focused on expanding its own power.   While one could come up with some examples of that, generally regulations grew out of abuses of the totally free market.  For instance:  we regulate the banksters because we learned what happens when we don't:   Fraud and Financial Disasters...   Likewise, we regulate essential services like gas, water and electric because then, everybody wins -- maybe nobody gets fabulously wealthy, but major disasters are avoided and everybody is served.  It's for the public good rather than the corporate good. 

Today, internet service has entered the realm of an essential service.   It is time to regulate it and allow the free flow of data over the wires without profit motivated interference from those organizations who control it.   Unfortunately, those large corporations managed to buy off the politicians and now they can abuse us with their power....

To trust a Comcast or Verizon more than you trust your own elected government is somewhere between pitiful and laughable.   But, that's the creed of the free marketers:  an either/or choice of "Corporation Good -- Government Bad".  The truth is:  both need each other and work best when they work together -- and ultimately we all win.
    Regulations not always grow from the abuses. You naively think that regulations are always written for the people, totally missing the point that business uses regulations to create higher barriers of entry to the market, insuring they always have business.. it is done via politicians beign bought out, while explaining to people like you that regulations are needed to ensure fairness and equality and whatever BS of the day is. 
    tallest skil