WWDC was all about software, just like it was when Steve Jobs ran the show

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    mavemufc said:
    It should be about software, leave the hardware announcements for the other events.
    Only if you believe software has value without hardware to run on it.    Besides some parts of WWDC focuses on parts of the system that hardware developers are pretty interested in.    Yep, WWDC is of interest to hardware developers caught up in Apples ecosystem.    

Frankly I never understood this idea that WWDC only pertains to software developers.   Clearly it doesn't as Apple realizes that hardware accessories are an important element of the third party world.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    If you can't see your post, refer to the commenting guidelines.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    @Stepheour n Silver, many, many issues I see with the trajecytory TeamAI is currently on...though I believe your boss is in  denial of that, cannot see the forest from the tree. Not sure where to post, since TeamAI is all over the place dropping these posts in various threads. This thread itself seems to contradict what Mr Whet wrote in another post. From that post I read by the Admn, any other member who started such a thread would have it 'disappear' from public view, only TeamAI mod's/Admn's would be able to see it then. Seems to me, the team here, is not altogether in unison, this makes Mr Silver, seem like the analogy of doing a 'Sarah Sanders' iykwim.

But where to post and address all these conflicting issues that are spread across the forums?

1st off, not exactly the most important...but:

Is there any way to post up the author/creator of these editorial/articles when shown in the forums/comments part? I see the author only before hitting the comments link, once going into the forums for comments, the author is not displayed anywhere...So some may not no which TeamAI member they are responding to...I've seen that confusion(though don't have time to search/provide a link...don't have it readily available, and since I cannot edit my post, not going to make another post, simply to insert a link, where it should be able to be place right here). More over, when more than one TeamAI member has contributed to, or is involved with these...I'd like to see their names provided at the bottom of each of these.

example below(u can see this at many 'news' sites) author is posted right at the top. Unlike here, when you click on her name, you get her full bio/credentials kind of a modified curriculum vitae(sp?)...would like to see that here if you consider yourselves 'journalists' not bloggers. You know, for transparency <<< don't you love the current buzzword/fan fav's of current discourse.

Oh, yeah, you can quote both Steve and me, bc we both said these things: SteveJobs started off defensively as a joke: "you can't please everyone, all of the time" Me: "and this to, shall pass" in reference to 'fake news'<<< OMG, whatevah, fer sure fer sure, like...totally, awesome.

At the the end of this article we see "Fox News' Pamela K. Browne and Cyd Upson contributed to this report. "

One wonders if TeamAI members, or any other source for content here, considers themselves to be 'journalists'. In a blogger social media era, where so many old school forums are now peppered with post that are simply inane 'tweets'...you know what they say @TeamAI, it is the reality perhaps none of us wants to be, 'once you take the genie out of the bottle, you can't put it back in' F-bombs prevail, civility is gone...for the most part...so, is a blogger ever considered a journalist, and when does a journalists' content qualify as 'blogging'? Are there equal standards being applied to fact checking(so we can avoid the 'fake news' scenarios???)?

So far, everyone, including the author's of this thread, seemed to have very short memories, in that there does not even need to be any 'event', Apple has, and will likely in the future(almost 100% certainly, imho) introduce/announce hardware updates on any give date or time of the year...sometimes with no fan fare at all. I suspect, we may even have that happening right now. With modest, not likely massively promoted, updates; using currently available hardware that Apple has not utilized to many complaints. Then come 2019, the bigger hardware announcments using 1st off the assembly line hardware that Intel gives to their priority customers. Then perhaps later, WWDC 2019 or 2020  Apple's Axx Arm starting 1st in the MBA/MB 12", following yrs as Arm platform gets even more potent that it surpases Intel/AMD.

We can look to prior WWDC's for ^ indications of all that. I can provide a link to what Steve did say, which is so on point now, it's not even funny, RIP Steve Jobs, there will *never* be anyone remotely like him...at least in my short life time...if I could take the time, or if I could edit later. Funny, back in the mid '80s, I worked at a company that M$ absorbed/bought out(I was let go b4 that happened)? that provided a powerful solution to a way to port across multiple platforms

While I can't parse most of this, the author's byline is listed on the AppleInsider homepage. This is Stephen's editorial on the matter.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    wizard69 said:
    mavemufc said:
    It should be about software, leave the hardware announcements for the other events.
    Only if you believe software has value without hardware to run on it.    Besides some parts of WWDC focuses on parts of the system that hardware developers are pretty interested in.    Yep, WWDC is of interest to hardware developers caught up in Apples ecosystem.    

Frankly I never understood this idea that WWDC only pertains to software developers.   Clearly it doesn't as Apple realizes that hardware accessories are an important element of the third party world.
    Because maybe its in the fucking name?  Hardware has their own special events.  This is like complaining that the Education Event is all about education...

Sometimes they release hardware at WWDC just like sometimes they release new edu hardware like the iPad at the spring edu special event.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 52

wizard69 said:
    frank777 said:
    Hardware's not always another tangent. I'm pretty sure Apple developers need an updated MacBook Pro with a working keyboard.  ;)
    Or a Mac Mini, or even a IMac if the developer swings that way.    Hell the Mac Pro could be reconfigured into an ideal developers machine if they took the time to reconfigure it.   That is use the Mac Pro chassis to build a desktop PC selling in a reasonable price range.

In any event the number one issue here is that serious customers need better Mac hardware from Apple and there is no justification on Apples part for ignoring its customer base.   Frankly Apple hardware is quickly becoming a joke in the market place as you are paying bleeding edge prices for significantly outdated hardware.
    The iMac is Apple's desktop in a reasonable price range.  It is more than adequate for developers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Apple is a software AND hardware company. If they were truly just a software company, they’d let iOS run on anything.  And wouldn’t have the AppleTV, but rather allow an Apple OS run on third party TVs.  And wouldn’t be looking to bring their chip manufacturing in-house.  Or be rumored to be moving Macs to A-series chips.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    lawjolla said:
    I agree with the article.

But teeing off of "What Would Steve Jobs Do/Not Do", Steve Jobs would not let these Apple events devolve into a litany of completely uninspired and unprepared speakers.  Apple events are nearly unwatchable.
    Ah, yes, a rapid circle back to making statements about what a dead person would or would not do if he wasn’t currently dead. The thing is, Steve Jobs is still dead.

There are very few people in the tech world who have the kind of dog-and-pony-showmanship talent that the still-dead Mr. Jobs had. Zuckerberg doesn’t have it. Bill Gates never had it. Elizabeth Holmes apparently has the showmanship, but without there actually being a dog or pony to show. 

If Tim Cook did the Apple events solo, people would just yell all that much louder about how he’s not Steve Jobs, who is still dead. So Tim starts it off and then hands over the spotlight to various project leaders and partner company CEOs to tell their part of the story. Unsurprisingly, they are all tech people without reality-distorting showmanship skills. None of them is Steve Jobs, either, who is still dead. 

Maybe next time, they’ll work with ARKit and Pixar, and invite everyone to point their iPhones and iPads at the stage to watch an animated Steve Jobs do the presentation, even though in non-augmented reality he is still dead.

So you're saying Steve Jobs is dead?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Unsurprisingly, they are all tech people without reality-distorting showmanship skills.
    Not sure it was really showmanship skills with Steve Jobs. It was more that he could take a canned speech and deliver it to a large audience as if he was having a natural, one-on-one conversation.
    That's pretty much because he was!  It was between Steve and the product.  The audience could have been 1 or a million.  It was almost irrelevant.

Because:   Steve wasn't putting on a show.   He wasn't trying to be entertaining or interesting.
    He was showing off his shiny new product that he was immensely proud of.   He wanted people to see it and admire it.  His so called showmanship derived from his very genuine and justified pride in the product he was showing off...  

It wasn't some Barnum & Bailey showmanship.   It wasn't even about Steve.   It was about the product.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 52
    nht said:
    wizard69 said:
    mavemufc said:

Because maybe its in the fucking name?  Hardware has their own special events.  This is like complaining that the Education Event is all about education...

Sometimes they release hardware at WWDC just like sometimes they release new edu hardware like the iPad at the spring edu special event.
    True!   And, sometimes hardware, particularly new products, DO affect software developers...  But usually not because incremental changes to cameras and processors and the like have little impact.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52
    TOLD YA SO!

Before the conference I said the WWDC wouldn't be and shouldn't be about hardware.  That it was for and about software developers and would very appropriately focus on software (and ecosystem).

And, boy did I get hammered by the hardware freaks!  To them, I spoke blasphemy! 
    I feel so bad that they were so f_n wrong!   LOL....

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 52
    TOLD YA SO!

And, boy did I get hammered by the hardware freaks!  To them, I spoke blasphemy! 

Can't speak for those people but what should be concerning to everyone in the Mac community is that Apple have announced zero hardware this year..... If you look at every single year for the last 10 years Apple has introduced hardware either before or at WWDC. There is a continual refresh cycle and this has now stopped! This is exceptional and should concern all of us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Apple_Inc._products

So the question could be were the people who talked about hardware and WWDC concerned specifically about hardware being at WWDC or simply that Apple hasn't introduced anything for the last 6 months and that WWDC was the perfect venue given this......?

AI seems fixated on this issue of WWDC being a developers conference only. The question of hardware introductions there is relatively non sensical if you look at history as these introductions have come and gone.

The real question AI should be asking on behalf of the Mac community is why has Apple stopped introducing hardware? Irrelevant of your views of WWDC the reality is that hardware and software need each other. You can't drive Mac software investment without Mac hardware sales and the way to keep older hardware current is with software updates.

cgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 52
    TOLD YA SO!

Can't speak for those people but what should be concerning to everyone in the Mac community is that Apple have announced zero hardware this year..... If you look at every single year for the last 10 years Apple has introduced hardware either before or at WWDC. There is a continual refresh cycle and this has now stopped! This is exceptional and should concern all of us.

So the question could be were the people who talked about hardware and WWDC concerned specifically about hardware being at WWDC or simply that Apple hasn't introduced anything for the last 6 months and that WWDC was the perfect venue given this......?

AI seems fixated on this issue of WWDC being a developers conference only. The question of hardware introductions there is relatively non sensical if you look at history as these introductions have come and gone.

The real question AI should be asking on behalf of the Mac community is why has Apple stopped introducing hardware? Irrelevant of your views of WWDC the reality is that hardware and software need each other. You can't drive Mac software investment without Mac hardware sales and the way to keep older hardware current is with software updates.

They were concerned about no hardware announcements at WWDC.   As in "What good is software if you don't have quality hardware to run it on?"

And, actually, before the conference, AI was pretty neutral on the topic -- or maybe leaning towards a few hardware announcements.   It was only after the conference and after Apple said:  "This is about software!" that the hardware geeks started to cry and AI came to Apple's defense.

As to why has Apple "stopped introducing hardware?".    First, they haven't.  They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like.  Second, I think it is consistent with their overall philosophy:   Apple doesn't roll out new 'stuff' just to roll out new 'stuff' like other, lesser companies do.  Their focus is on the customer and, unless they can make a meaningful improvement in the way things are, they just leave it alone.  One could argue that they have left certain products alone too long (like the MacPro, MacBook Air and the MacMini), but not that they have stopped introducing new hardware.

A 32Gb MacBook is a good example:  There is a tiny fraction of users who would actually benefit from this.  The rest who would buy it mostly just like the comfort of the latest & greatest from Apple.  But, if the latest & greatest doesn't make any difference or any improvement for them, the magic will quickly wear off.... 

• Reply 33 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Unsurprisingly, they are all tech people without reality-distorting showmanship skills.
    Not sure it was really showmanship skills with Steve Jobs. It was more that he could take a canned speech and deliver it to a large audience as if he was having a natural, one-on-one conversation.
    Which is a skill. Some people have it, some don't. Some don't and then get better at it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    wizard69 said:
    mavemufc said:

Software also has no value in a world without oxygen in it. Oxygen is something developers are pretty interested in. Should Apple have released new oxygen at WWDC? Done a segment about oxygen? 

Or is it simply understood that hardware, like oxygen, is in the pipe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 52
    TOLD YA SO!

Jesus.  Its only been 6 months since the last Mac was launched.  Many times they push new Macs toward the fall and the current Mac line up is about a year old.

They didn't announce anything at WWDC because they weren't ready to.  Claim the sky is falling if no macs get introduced in 2018 at all.
    kiltedgreenGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 52
    nht said:

Jesus.  Its only been 6 months since the last Mac was launched.  Many times they push new Macs toward the fall and the current Mac line up is about a year old.

They didn't announce anything at WWDC because they weren't ready to.  Claim the sky is falling if no macs get introduced in 2018 at all.
    Er if you call the iMac Pro a regular update...... To me its 100% for the Pro market which is a great stepping stone to the Mac Pro update but does nothing for your consumer base. If you look at the link I sent it shows that Apple updated MacBooks and iMacs at WWDC 2017 and apart from the iMac pro nothing since. So it isn't just 6 months, its now been over a year since either the iMac family or Macbooks (Pro, Air or regular) were updated at all. Since then Intel has introduced multiple variants of 8th Gen chips which are now common in PC's.

I think it fair to call this out as this is not normal or progressive, especially when you look at what happened in the 5 years before that with multiple Mac introductions happening multiple times a year. I am not claiming the sky is falling, those are your words. However it is important given Apple's previous statements that they are committed to the Mac Platform. Actions speak louder than words and regular refreshes of the line up are a necessary element in communicating to their customer base that they are actually committed here. Otherwise what do we have? Mac Mini - No update since 2014. Mac pro - No update since 2013. MacBook family - No update since June 2017. iMac family - 1 update in Dec 2017 otherwise no update since June 2017.

And no my name isn't Jesus.....! :) 

edited June 2018 cgWerks
  • Reply 37 of 52

As to why has Apple "stopped introducing hardware?".    First, they haven't.  They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like. 

Second, I think it is consistent with their overall philosophy:   Apple doesn't roll out new 'stuff' just to roll out new 'stuff' like other, lesser companies do.  Their focus is on the customer and, unless they can make a meaningful improvement in the way things are, they just leave it alone.  One could argue that they have left certain products alone too long (like the MacPro, MacBook Air and the MacMini), but not that they have stopped introducing new hardware.

A 32Gb MacBook is a good example:  There is a tiny fraction of users who would actually benefit from this.  The rest who would buy it mostly just like the comfort of the latest & greatest from Apple.  But, if the latest & greatest doesn't make any difference or any improvement for them, the magic will quickly wear off.... 

Sorry these are weird statements. "They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like." Er, really..... They have had 1 introduction in the last year, the iMac Pro..... While all other major manufacturer have machines based on Intel's 8th gen chips, Apple has none. I think waiting for over a year for simple chip refreshes is a little long! That's without even talking about the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

"Second, I think it is consistent with their overall philosophy:   Apple doesn't roll out new 'stuff' just to roll out new 'stuff' like other, lesser companies do." Yeah, I get that but it doesn't make them immune from competitive forces and the reality that the world has moved along quite a bit in the last year. if you look at the link I provided to the Wikipedia page it will show that in previous years there were multiple hardware introductions a year, the timing of which which I presume were based on chip availability and other manufacturing concerns. If this was their overall philosophy then, what has changed now for no significant product introductions since WWDC 2017? (apart from the iMac Pro).

Not having any major product introductions in over a year is unprecedented in Apple's history. Hey, maybe they will have a huge introduction next month and maybe nothing will appear until October or even later. Whatever happens it doesn't take away from the reality that hardware introductions have slowed considerably given what was happening in the last 10 years. Why... that is a good question. But don't take my word for it follow the link and look for yourself......

cgWerks
  • Reply 38 of 52

As to why has Apple "stopped introducing hardware?".    First, they haven't.  They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like. 

Second, I think it is consistent with their overall philosophy:   Apple doesn't roll out new 'stuff' just to roll out new 'stuff' like other, lesser companies do.  Their focus is on the customer and, unless they can make a meaningful improvement in the way things are, they just leave it alone.  One could argue that they have left certain products alone too long (like the MacPro, MacBook Air and the MacMini), but not that they have stopped introducing new hardware.

Sorry these are weird statements. "They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like." Er, really..... They have had 1 introduction in the last year, the iMac Pro..... While all other major manufacturer have machines based on Intel's 8th gen chips, Apple has none. I think waiting for over a year for simple chip refreshes is a little long! That's without even talking about the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

"Second, I think it is consistent with their overall philosophy:   Apple doesn't roll out new 'stuff' just to roll out new 'stuff' like other, lesser companies do." Yeah, I get that but it doesn't make them immune from competitive forces and the reality that the world has moved along quite a bit in the last year. if you look at the link I provided to the Wikipedia page it will show that in previous years there were multiple hardware introductions a year, the timing of which which I presume were based on chip availability and other manufacturing concerns. If this was their overall philosophy then, what has changed now for no significant product introductions since WWDC 2017? (apart from the iMac Pro).

Not having any major product introductions in over a year is unprecedented in Apple's history. Hey, maybe they will have a huge introduction next month and maybe nothing will appear until October or even later. Whatever happens it doesn't take away from the reality that hardware introductions have slowed considerably given what was happening in the last 10 years. Why... that is a good question. But don't take my word for it follow the link and look for yourself......

I think you just proved my initial point (which was meant as a minor comment):
    "As to why has Apple "stopped introducing hardware?".    First, they haven't.  They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like. "

So, we're back to the point that:  instead of keeping up with the Joneses, they insist on only releasing things that are enough improved to make a difference. 

Further, as I and others have said:   At least in the Mac line, Apple does not set itself apart with hardware.  They haven't since Steve switched them to Intel.  They set themselves apart with their software and ecosystem.  The hardware is a means to the end.   Not the end.

• Reply 39 of 52

I think you just proved my initial point (which was meant as a minor comment):
    "As to why has Apple "stopped introducing hardware?".    First, they haven't.  They just haven't been rolling new Macs out as fast as the Mac fans would like. "

So, we're back to the point that:  instead of keeping up with the Joneses, they insist on only releasing things that are enough improved to make a difference. 

Further, as I and others have said:   At least in the Mac line, Apple does not set itself apart with hardware.  They haven't since Steve switched them to Intel.  They set themselves apart with their software and ecosystem.  The hardware is a means to the end.   Not the end.

Well its good to see the reality distortion field is extending well beyond Cupertino! Wow. Wow. Wow.

Intel introduced 8th gen chips in August of last year and updated them in April of this year. The performance gains are much more than the 6th to 7th gen transitions given the core increases, especially in the mobile chips. If this isn't the definition of "enough improved" when Apple considers itself the premium brand then I don't know what is! If your statement is true why did Apple introduce a refresh from 6th to 7th gen chips after 9 months for the MB Pro line, but not here?

And I am sorry but "Apple does not set itself apart with hardware"?!? Try telling that to Johny Ive and his team of engineers! The reason for Apple surviving until the iPhone was the design of the original iMac! Ever since then their hardware has been differentiated by design and on purpose to make a statement. Definitely no beige boxes and no plastic lookalike laptops to be seen.

The lack of Mac hardware introductions since June 2017 is unprecedented in Apple's modern history. You may not like it but go take a look and you will see something is happening here. Whether it is a move away from Intel or something else, time will tell but this is a significant shift.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member

Interestingly the last period of note in terms of low releases is 2005. A mac mini bump early in the year PowerMacG5 bump late in the year. Last real headline release iMac G5 which was a real attention getter in August 2004. Next big news release after that was well intel iMac(early2006) but the transition was well and truly public by mid 2005.

Again we've had a big iMac release and a lull and a big focus on speedy, clean, secure and portable code.  Which is always welcome but does seem like something is brewing they aren't talking about.