How Apple is making animations smoother in iOS 12

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    gatorguy said:
    LOL. Of course, "Android!" , and the very first post....
    Whataboutism got going early.

EDIT: IMO this thread will go off-track quickly now. 

And the second post is a troll complaining about a joke against their master.

gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    Uh oh...some got offended!
    Whataboutism is platform agnostic

Bull. It's primarily used by Android trolls/fanboys against Apple. It's so one-sided it's not even funny anymore. If you can't see this, then you're the one drinking the proverbial kool-aid. This is why many sites have discovered the way to make money and get hits is via Apple related articles. Nothing attracts the scum of the Internet more than a chance to piss on an Apple thread.
    StrangeDayspscooter63lamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    I love how Apple thinks about every single detail
    I wish they thought about the details of Messages in iCloud, which still has tons of issues.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    georgie01 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Although not as relevant nowadays, Android  has traditionally not had as smooth of a UI. You may disagree that’s the case now, but you can at least address that rather than simply criticise the person on the sole basis that they criticised Android.
    The article has zippity to do with Android so it wouldn't have mattered if they praised Android. First post in shouldn't distract from the article discussion by introducing "other stuff" in order to mask the topic. That's oftimes seen as trolling isn't it? 

Had I been the first one to mention Android in an unrelated Apple thread I feel quite sure that I would have been dinged for it by more than one member, probably including the member who actually did insert them as a topic of discussion in this Apple-specific thread.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    fmalloy said:
    I love how Apple thinks about every single detail
    I wish they thought about the details of Messages in iCloud, which still has tons of issues.

Well, they waited a year to release it and people have been complaining about the delay the whole way, so what's better? Wait or solve those "issues".
  • Reply 25 of 35
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Odd, I don't have any issues with mine on my iPhone 6s.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    gatorguy said:
    macxpress said:
    gatorguy said:
    Uh oh...some got offended!
    Whataboutism is platform agnostic
    Especially since we taught you about that word (providing links to why it's a logical fallacy), after you'd constantly bring up Apple when people were criticizing Google for various shenanigans.
    cornchippscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    georgie01 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Although not as relevant nowadays, Android  has traditionally not had as smooth of a UI. You may disagree that’s the case now, but you can at least address that rather than simply criticise the person on the sole basis that they criticised Android.
    The article has zippity to do with Android so it wouldn't have mattered if they praised Android. First post in shouldn't distract from the article discussion by introducing "other stuff" in order to mask the topic. That's oftimes seen as trolling isn't it? 

Had I been the first one to mention Android in an unrelated Apple thread I feel quite sure that I would have been dinged for it by more than one member, probably including the member who actually did insert them as a topic of discussion in this Apple-specific thread.
    Well, it depends on what you would have said. If you had said, "Android sucks at scrolling, nice to see Apple is still improving it even after cleaning their clock!" then no, I don't think you would have been dinged at all.

But that's not what *you* would have said. So it's the message that matters, not whether Android is invoked or not. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    georgie01 said:
    gatorguy said:

Well, it depends on what you would have said. If you had said, "Android sucks at scrolling, nice to see Apple is still improving it even after cleaning their clock!" then no, I don't think you would have been dinged at all.

But that's not what *you* would have said. So it's the message that matters, not whether Android is invoked or not. 
    Ah, Whataboutism is not a logical fallacy as long as some group likes what is said. It's only wrong if that group DOESN'T like what is said. Is that right? Gosh had no idea that was an exception to what would otherwise be a flawed argument. Teach me more "Master We". 
    edited June 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 35
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    georgie01 said:
    gatorguy said:

Ah, Whataboutism is not a logical fallacy as long as some group likes what is said. It's only wrong if that group DOESN'T like what is said. Is that right? Gosh had no idea that was an exception to what would otherwise be a flawed argument. Teach me more "Master We". 
    What on earth are you talking about? Now you've just used another logical fallacy -- the straw man, whereby you present an argument that was never claimed, and knock it down. 

In the post youre replying to I said nothing about Whataboutism and its legitimacy. Rather, I contested your silly claim that you would have been "dinged" for bringing up Android. And I said, that had you made a comment about Android's poor performance when it comes to scrolling animations, no, I don't think you would be dinged at all -- that it's the content of the message/android-citation that matters, not merely that one invoked them. But that, of course, as an Android cheerleader this isn't what you would have said.

Try staying on topic man. Or find someplace else to cry about how unfair the board is to google shills.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Try staying on topic man. Or find someplace else to cry about how unfair the board is to google shills.
    G-man is, above all, a consummate social-online engineer. Imagine if that skill were applied to something useful and good.

[Braces for overly-polite, coy rebuttal]
  • Reply 31 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Scrolling is very smooth. Notice many animation improvements across the OS. It is my feeling that Apple should do this kind of iOS release every year. With a few feature improvents, a few system performance improvents and a few security enhancements. We don’t need 50 big new features and a whole lot of new bugs. We would like some new features, sure, but the big gains are in the enhancents to existing features and in the performance, efficiency and security improvents.

The main repeatable bug I have spotted (on my SE) is when you swipe to the camera from the lock screen when holding the phone in a horizontal orientation.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 32 of 35
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    avon b7 said:
    I love how Apple thinks about every single detail and yet people say Android is superior.

I CAN'T understand for the love of me, why someone want's to use a system from a company that SELLS ads for a living.

They are obviously selling your data, it's their main revenue!
    If Apple really thought of every single detail then users wouldn't have had to face this issue for years.

I use iPhone for years and so far, I haven't had to face lagging animation issue. The article mentioned perfecting the already smoothest animation in any OS, NOT solving the lagging animation that never existed in the first place.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    kevin kee said:
    avon b7 said:
    I love how Apple thinks about every single detail and yet people say Android is superior.

I CAN'T understand for the love of me, why someone want's to use a system from a company that SELLS ads for a living.

They are obviously selling your data, it's their main revenue!
    If Apple really thought of every single detail then users wouldn't have had to face this issue for years.

I use iPhone for years and so far, I haven't had to face lagging animation issue. The article mentioned perfecting the already smoothest animation in any OS, NOT solving the lagging animation that never existed in the first place.
    I replied in the context of the article:

"Explained during the session "What's New in Cocoa Touch" at WWDC 2018, Apple's engineers have used iOS 12 as an opportunity to fix animation issues that have plagued users over the years".

I've noticed it (or perhaps something similar) on occasion but never been particularly bothered by it. The point is the same however. If Apple thought about every detail, there would be little to add/fix/change.

BTW, did you post something about wet shoes? I was preparing the reply and got a completely different quoted text. 
  • Reply 34 of 35
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    clemynx said:
    When opening a safari tab in the background, the user still has to wait for the animation to end before being able to scroll again.
    No. (tested on iOS 11.4 on an iPad Pro, in literally five seconds)
    Odd, I tried on iOS 12 on iPhone and it doesn’t work. I’ll have to try on iPad. 
  • Reply 35 of 35
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Well I tested again on iOS 12 on iPhone and the animation blocks the scrolling.