iPhone 3GS returns to life with South Korean carrier

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    What I don't understand is how you have that many nine-year old products that are still new? Are they OEM? When were they actually made?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Let me get this straight: they are selling a device with probably a nine year old battery that has serious issues, runs a very old OS that has lots of security holes which will never be patched, is limited to 802.11b/g, doesn't have GPS, no front camera, and has extremely limited app compatibility?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    volcan said:
    Apple stops signing older iOS versions almost immediately after the release of an update. People who buy this will be stuck on iOS 4 even though technically it could run iOS 6. I don't think you can download that anymore.
    It's been my experience with the likes of a 2g iPod touch that you can install the latest version of whatever the max OS is for that device, although it's been eons since I've tried it.
    edited June 2018 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Tell you what. My iPhone 3GS is still taking pictures and taking pictures faster than iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 11. Apple should provide security patches to it. Long live the iPhone 3GS.
    airnerd
  • Reply 25 of 30
    mushmashmushmash Posts: 24member
    benji888 said:
    ... Outside the US people aren't so enamored with having the latest and greatest ...
    Are you sure? When I lived in the US I felt like you were technologically lagging behind in many areas, compared to my homecountry ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    linkman said:
    Let me get this straight: they are selling a device with probably a nine year old battery that has serious issues, runs a very old OS that has lots of security holes which will never be patched, is limited to 802.11b/g, doesn't have GPS, no front camera, and has extremely limited app compatibility?
    Yes, and will sell out of them within a very, very short window
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    hattig said:
    Reminds me I need to source a new/old 30-pin device for an old 30-pin-supporting speaker I have so I can use it again.
    Or just super glue a 30-pin to lightning adapter to it like I did for my clock radio dock.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    king editor the grate said:
    It's been my experience with the likes of a 2g iPod touch that you can install the latest version of whatever the max OS is for that device, although it's been eons since I've tried it.

This is correct. 

No longer signing an OS means it can't be downloaded to a device that can use a later OS. An 'unsigned' OS is still available to any device that tops out at that OS.

My 4S was on iOS 7.x. I had to use it and decided to update. iOS 8 was the next step, except it was unsigned, so Apple downloaded iOS 9. Unfortunately, it's too much for my 4S and was extremely lagging. I wish Apple had made 8 the max OS for the 4S.

It my case I should have stayed at iOS 7. Since it was also unsigned, there was no going back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Simon The DiverSimon The Diver Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Cheapest iPod Ever !

the old os will have a music app that has a tab for audiobooks :)  none of this silly sticking audiobooks in the iBooks app