Cheaper 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone expected to be Apple's most popular model

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2018
Apple has reportedly made some alterations to its 2018 iPhone orders, and is expected to deliver more of the 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone in the fall than the OLED models combined.

2018 iPhone lineup

Rumblings from the Chinese supply chain suggest that component manufacturers are seeing a different balance of orders than they were expecting, given rolling iPhone X sales throughout the year.

The Wall Street Journal report on Friday cites industry executives with "direct knowledge of production plans" again remarking that Apple originally wanted about the same number of LCD and OLED screens. However, at some point the plans allegedly changed, and Apple wants more LCD models now.

This isn't the first time that this has been claimed, or predicted. In February, Ming-Chi Kuo, then with KGI Securities, expected the same thing.

Besides the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone first rumored in January, Apple is rumored to add two new OLED models to its iPhone lineup this fall including a 5.8-inch iPhone X replacement. A 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" is also supposedly in the works.

All 2018 iPhones are said to boast logic boards built on substrate-like PCB (SLP) technologies first adopted by iPhone X and iPhone 8. The 5.8- and 6.5-inch OLED iPhone models will sport stacked board designs like iPhone X, while the 6.1-inch LCD model will stick to a traditional single-layer layout, Kuo said.

As far as specifications, Kuo believes manufacturers will adopt a finer pitch of 28-30 nanometers on the boards, down from the 30-35 nanometers applied to 2017 phones, as part of efforts to reduce PCB size and improve energy efficiency.

Current price predictions put the 6.1-inch LCD phone pricing at between $600 and $700.

Moving up the product line, the 5.8-inch OLED model is expected top be between $800 to $900 and the 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" will be priced around $900 to $1000.

All the two OLED models will likely ship in quantity in September and early October. One report claims that the 6.1-inch model will be pushed to November because of difficulties cutting an iPhone X-like "notch" out of a LCD panel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    I’d imagine most people here like me will want the 6.5 OLED. But really it would be sensible to get the LCD.
    supadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I want the lcd only if it has 3d touch!

No 3d touch i'll go for the big OLED
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    "manufacturers will adopt a finer pitch of 28-30 nanometers on the boards, down from the 30-35 nanometers applied to 2017 phones, as part of efforts to reduce PCB size and improve energy efficiency."

Would you repeat that in English please? 
  • Reply 4 of 32
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    If the LCD has a chin in addition to a notch, which I assume it will, then I will definetly be getting the 6.5 OLED model. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Still waiting on the normal sized SE 2 to be announced.  
    designrcreativeoopsbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    MacOS7MacOS7 Posts: 1member
    airnerd said:
    Yes, please!!! But, I hope it's more like a iPhone X mini. Same size as the SE, but specs at least somewhat in line with the modern phones with an updated form factor. I love the iPhone 5s/SE form, I think it's the most successful design to date, but it's time for an update.
    GeorgeBMacne4now76baconstangwatto_cobraargonautairnerd
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    supadav03 said:
    If the LCD has a chin in addition to a notch, which I assume it will, then I will definetly be getting the 6.5 OLED model. 
    Why that assumption? If it includes Face ID, why must there be a chin?
    GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 32
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I thought I read it has to do with the controller. OLED is flexible and allows it to be bent back behind the screen eliminating the need for it to be hid in the bottom bezel. It’s the reason you see most android phones have a notch & a bezel. Not sure how it could be accomplished with a non-flexible LCD screen. 
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I like how we can determine what the most popular model of iPhone is before its even out. We know nothing about it but yet its going to be the most popular model! Haha!
    StrangeDaysAlex1Nanomebaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    We need to upgrade my GF's 6 and my SE...will be waiting for the 6.1 in the X form factor. The iPhone 8 looks somewhat dated with the chin and brow. :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mike1 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Why that assumption? If it includes Face ID, why must there be a chin?
    I think i have read elsewhere - The bottom screen area i.e. chin is the place which is used by display (touch-screen) controller.  Mobile phones require a ribbon at the bottom to connect the mobile display to the main board. SO the chin is used to cover this type of connection. 
    supadav03watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    benjerbenjer Posts: 91member
    kkqd1337 said:
    I’d imagine most people here like me will want the 6.5 OLED. But really it would be sensible to get the LCD.
    There's the rub. While OLED would be nice (I don't know if I could do a huge phone, though, I still need to carry it in my pocket), at this point I'm not ready to pay the price difference. (That whole "sensible" thing you mentioned.) That being said, I do remember using an iPhone 4 for a day (with retina display) then thinking, "I can never go back." But I'm not sure the difference between LED and OLED is as drastic on a phone, unless you watch a lot of content on your phone.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Nothing new ! iPhone 6.1 is economical,larger, newer tech inside than why not expected to be popular ? I will replace everyone's current iPhones in my family with. Even iPhone SE 2 could beat in popularity if SE2 gets FaceID making it edge-to-edge larger screen LCD iPhone like X but at lot lower price. iPhone 9 with touch id could also be option for those who love touchid and slow or refuse to accept newer tech like faceid.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 14 of 32
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    I can see this being true, particularly if Apple discontinues a lot of the older devices.  They are currently selling SE, 6s, 7, 8, and X models.  Despite the X being the most popular individual device sold since its release, ultimately it only accounted for between 20% and 25% of total sales.  That means LCD devices outsold the X by a 3:1 or even 4:1 margin.  Price is obviously a factor in customers' purchasing decision.

If they can limit their fall lineup to the SE, 8 (no plus model), X(LCD), and X(OLED) then it is very possible for the X(LCD) device to take the crown by a large margin.

Seeing as 75% - 80% of current purchasers went with a device that has huge forehead and chin bezels I don't think a 1/4" bottom bezel covering the LCD ribbon and backlight is going to be an issue at all, particularly when faced with a $200 - $300 premium to go with AMOLED.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    78Bandit said:
    I can see this being true, particularly if Apple discontinues a lot of the older devices.  They are currently selling SE, 6s, 7, 8, and X models.  Despite the X being the most popular individual device sold since its release, ultimately it only accounted for between 20% and 25% of total sales.  That means LCD devices outsold the X by a 3:1 or even 4:1 margin.  Price is obviously a factor in customers' purchasing decision.

If they can limit their fall lineup to the SE, 8 (no plus model), X(LCD), and X(OLED) then it is very possible for the X(LCD) device to take the crown by a large margin.

Seeing as 75% - 80% of current purchasers went with a device that has huge forehead and chin bezels I don't think a 1/4" bottom bezel covering the LCD ribbon and backlight is going to be an issue at all, particularly when faced with a $200 - $300 premium to go with AMOLED.
    iPhone X:  $1,000
    iPhone 7:  $550

And, for most people they do pretty much the same thing.   That pretty much tells the story of the supposed LCD vs OLED debate -- even though most of that price difference did not have to do with LCD vs OLED.  

But, even with the extreme price premium, the X was still the single best selling iPhone this year.

The decisions involve:
    -- Price
    -- New vs old technology
    -- Screen technology

The 6.1" LCD will win on 2 of the 3 factors and take first place.
    In 2017, the iPhone 8 could have taken that place -- but, its price differential over a nearly identical 7 held it back.   The iPhone 7 simply gave more for less. 
    78Banditargonaut
  • Reply 16 of 32
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    I have the iPhone X now. In terms of the display quality, I'm perfectly fine with the LCD models. However, I really don't want a phone bigger than the iPhone X that I have now. As others have mentioned, if the LCD means you'll have a chin, then the phone will be bigger. We'll see.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 32
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    No kidding! The cheaper model with the mid size screen and slightly worse camera and display will be the most popular?! No waaaay! 
  • Reply 18 of 32
    jurassicjurassic Posts: 94member
    The 6.1-inch LCD 2018 iPhone is unlikely to have a "notch" as shown in the rendering. It will probably have a thin bezel across the top of the display (containing the Face ID components), with the rest of the phone similar in appearance to the OLED display iPhones (with no bezel at the bottom of the display). This is because LCD panels are rigid, and can't be folded like the OLED display in the iPhone X. So the LCD display would end (rather than being folded back) with the connecter behind the top bezel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    ne4now76ne4now76 Posts: 20member
    MacOS7 said:
    airnerd said:
    Yes, please!!! But, I hope it's more like a iPhone X mini. Same size as the SE, but specs at least somewhat in line with the modern phones with an updated form factor. I love the iPhone 5s/SE form, I think it's the most successful design to date, but it's time for an update.
    THIS! 
    I have a 7 and would trade it & a good sum of money for a full featured phone with the dimensions of the 5S/SE.
    I love everything about the 7 except the fact that I leave it down all over because I avoid putting it in my pocket, where my phone should be, like every other iphone I have owned before it...  
    C'mon APPLE! how bout a "sport" phone marketed as a more rugged, full featured phone.
    I could care less if its thinner than a 5S, never once held up my 5S and said "this is just too thick". 
    As for the display, The 7 is LCD and is more than sufficient (so wasnt the 5S). If most of us want a cinematic experience, we would do it on a TV (or perhaps an ipad). 
    also could care less what tech unlocks the device as long as it functions well. faceid or a fingerprint sensor in screen or even on the back of the device is fine. 
    Lotta working class or active people that would prefer a smaller & more rugged form factor. 
    My dream iphone would be same/similar dimensions to 5S but full screened like the X w/ a great battery life, waterproofing and a screen that is easily replaced.

edited June 2018 baconstangwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 32
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Is it possible that 6.1 iPhone will have A11 processor and will ditch 8/8 Plus?