Apple's new 'Behind the Mac' ad campaign puts spotlight back on creatives

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    HyperealityHypereality Posts: 58unconfirmed, member
    steveh said:
    cropr said:
    Of course a Mac lasts long, but that is not the point.
    I have a white macbook from 2012 that I want to replace by a recent machine.  Why would I have to accept to buy a new macbook with an CPU of 3 years old? 
    Because it's miles better than the ancient piece you've got now?

You're letting the perfect paralyze you.
    There was an article referring to a recent Geekbench record suggesting a MacPro with the 8750H coffee lake hexacore processor is being tested. You can check this https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?q=8750H+mac

The point I take from this is that the single core score of the 8750H is 4902,  slower for the 13" Macbook pro on 4500.   Now the 2015 MacBook Pro also has a single core score of about 4500, and my 2013 has a score of 3900.  I can see a point in upgrading my laptop as its long in the tooth, but still for a 25% speedup its not going to be earth shaking.  Obviously there are greater advantages for multi-core workflows but going from 4-6 is not going to be that important in many cases.  

Intel is the problem here, not Apple. Though I wish they would put a decent keyboard in their laptops and compromise a little on the thinness. 

For faster coding I bought an iMac which has the fastest single core score for the money.  The laptops don't really cut it, so might as just keep one that is a good workhorse to travel around with and put my money on the desktop. 

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 98
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    The Mac Is Dead!

- typed on my 2016 Touch Bar MacBook Pro, which performs superbly and has had zero issues -

StrangeDayswatto_cobraracerhomie3
  • Reply 23 of 98
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:
    Watching the music commercial illustrated to me what has happened to music over the past decade: 
    Music, real music, made by real people playing real instruments has been replaced by some girl sitting on the floor in her living manipulating electronic squeaks and thumps augmented by her whining into a microphone -- and calling it music.

It's a cheap way to produce "music".   But very little of it would have been published when music was vetted before it made its way to vinyl, CD or cassette.  It's really just cheap, low quality junk...
    I agree completely. Like the way “photography” has become mediocre photographs manipulated electronically into something nice. What’s next, Siri or Alexi writing speeches (and delivering them) instead of humans? The genuine is leaving the building. 
    The fucking irony of using photography as an example.
    Please explain what the irony is, this time without the immature use of profanity. Thanks. 
    GeorgeBMaclibertyandfree
  • Reply 24 of 98
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Perhaps these commercials illustrate what has gone wrong with the Mac:   They emphasize the Mac being used by non-mainstream creatives to create non-mainstream products:  In short, it emphasizes how the Mac line is aimed squarely at artists and related creatives like coders...  Specialty products for special people.

While I don't know if Jobs ever actually said this, this line about the Mac from the Steve Jobs movie fits with his overall direction: 
    "It's for the grandma, the garbage man, the [common man]."  (Too make their lives better)

I watched these commercials and felt zero connection to them, the people in them or the product they were espousing....

The Mac line has devolved into a specialty product.  A niche product....
    Yeah no. The original Macintosh cost almost $6,000 in today’s dollars. Despite being designed as the computer for the rest of us, it was priced niche. It’s now much more affordable, so your claim of “devolving” is bullshit. Normals don’t care about whether it has a Coffeelake class processor. I’m a techie and I don’t even know what that is. Only the eternally angry techies have fits about this stuff. But Apple isn’t about specs alone.
    Alex1Nfastasleepwatto_cobradysamoriajony0racerhomie3
  • Reply 25 of 98

GeorgeBMac said: Music, real music, made by real people playing real instruments has been replaced by some girl sitting on the floor in her living manipulating electronic squeaks and thumps augmented by her whining into a microphone -- and calling it music.
    It's not a "replacement". It's an additional way to make music. Electronic music has been around since the Beatles and doesn't seem to have eliminated much of anything. It's just added to what's available. 
    Additional?
    When I listen to any of the "New Music" playlists on Apple music it seems to be pedominatly electronic squeaks and thumps augmented with a whiny voiced singer...
    I suggest you learn more about electronic music and the many, many genres under it. I am, and I’m coming up with nothing that matches your definition of “squeaks and thumps”. Old man disassociation, perhaps?
    Alex1Nfastasleepwatto_cobradysamoriajony0
  • Reply 26 of 98

GeorgeBMac said: Music, real music, made by real people playing real instruments has been replaced by some girl sitting on the floor in her living manipulating electronic squeaks and thumps augmented by her whining into a microphone -- and calling it music.
    It's not a "replacement". It's an additional way to make music. Electronic music has been around since the Beatles and doesn't seem to have eliminated much of anything. It's just added to what's available. 
    Comparing the Beatles or any other 60's band to today's electronic "music" is a very false analogy....
    Is english not your primary language? He didn’t compare it to the Beatles, he said electronic music has been around since the Beatles. And there are a great many electronic bands I prefer listening to over the Beatles. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobradysamoriajony0
  • Reply 27 of 98
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:
    Watching the music commercial illustrated to me what has happened to music over the past decade: 
    Music, real music, made by real people playing real instruments has been replaced by some girl sitting on the floor in her living manipulating electronic squeaks and thumps augmented by her whining into a microphone -- and calling it music.

It's a cheap way to produce "music".   But very little of it would have been published when music was vetted before it made its way to vinyl, CD or cassette.  It's really just cheap, low quality junk...
    I agree completely. Like the way “photography” has become mediocre photographs manipulated electronically into something nice. What’s next, Siri or Alexi writing speeches (and delivering them) instead of humans? The genuine is leaving the building. 
    Please explain what the irony is, this time without the immature use of profanity. Thanks. 
    Profanity isn’t immature. Adults often use curse words, it’s how grownups speak. In fact this is why children aren’t allowed into grownup movies.
    Solifastasleepwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 98
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:

Profanity isn’t immature. Adults often use curse words, it’s how grownups speak. In fact this is why children aren’t allowed into grownup movies.
    The use of profanity, or any expression that doesn’t belong in the context where it’s being used, is immature. It also shows the inability to say what one wants with any other words. People who use profanity where it isn’t appropriate show that they’re incapable of expressing themselves any other way. This limitation shows immaturity. And it’s not just words that are the reason children aren’t allowed to see “adult” movies. There’s the visual as well, isn’t there?
    libertyandfree
  • Reply 29 of 98
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:

1) You stated that using a machine to electronically manipulate an image isn't artistic, while there's nearly two centuries since the camera's invention and people saying that capturing an image is not considered art when compared to painting and other skills that take a lifetime to master.

2) I wasn't going to rip your comment apart, but since you inquired, it's even more ridiculous since cameras have long since been electronic devices which can manipulate images in countless ways even if using film. On top of that, learning how to hit a button on a camera is considerably less effort than even learning the basics of an app like Photoshop to electronically manipulate an image.

Now, I'd never say that photography isn't art, but I also wouldn't say that Vermeer isn't art if he used a contraption, that digital editing also isn't artistic, that the electric guitar can't be used t make real music because it electronically manipulates sound, or some other bullshit line in the sand you and George have drawn just like countless people before you who locked in their ideal notion of art without the slightest comprehension of art.

3) Fuck no. My point wouldn't have been captured as well in text without the use of these "cursed" words.

edited June 2018 Alex1Nfastasleeplamboaudi4watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 98
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:

The use of profanity, or any expression that doesn’t belong in the context where it’s being used, is immature. It also shows the inability to say what one wants with any other words. People who use profanity where it isn’t appropriate show that they’re incapable of expressing themselves any other way. This limitation shows immaturity. And it’s not just words that are the reason children aren’t allowed to see “adult” movies. There’s the visual as well, isn’t there?
    Where the fuck do you think profanity comes from? Do you remember the HBO series Deadwood? Do you know whyyyyy* they couldn't use era-appropriate language for the show? You were told these words were cursed and that to use them meant you were lesser the man for it, and you fucking believed it.

* Since you choose to believe that certain words in a lexicon have inherent properties based on a series of graphemes or utterance of phonemes you should know that my use of whyyyyy was intentional, and not because I don't know how to spell the word why. The use of this non-standard spelling should've neither caused you to fail to comprehend the root word and which shoud've instantly expressed my condemnation of your contempt for this complex, beautiful, and ever-changing man-made medium.

edited June 2018 Alex1Nfastasleepwatto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 98
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:
    Soli said:
    fred1 said:

1) You stated that using a machine to electronically manipulate an image isn't artistic, while there's nearly two centuries since the camera's invention and people saying that capturing an image is not considered art when compared to painting and other skills that take a lifetime to master.

2) I wasn't going to rip your comment apart, but since you inquired, it's even more ridiculous since cameras have long since been electronic devices which can manipulate images in countless ways even if using film. On top of that, learning how to hit a button on a camera is considerably less effort than even learning the basics of an app like Photoshop to electronically manipulate an image.

Now, I'd never say that photography isn't art, but I also wouldn't say that Vermeer isn't art if he used a contraption, that digital editing also isn't artistic, that the electric guitar can't be used t make real music because it electronically manipulates sound, or some other bullshit line in the sand you and George have drawn just like countless people before you who locked in their ideal notion of art without the slightest comprehension of art.

3) Fuck no. My point wouldn't have been captured as well in text without the use of these "cursed" words.

You obviously have no interest in understanding my point, but rather just ranting about your own views. If you’d stop and consider what I’m saying instead of assuming what you think I mean, your response would be different. But that seems to be too much to ask. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 98
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    You know what I’d like to be behind? A Mac with a processor from this generation! Seriously the only Mad that has been upgraded within the last year is the iMac Pro. Putting out an ad campaign when Apple has given up on making sure Macs are competitive in the market is just dumb. Advertise the product when it isn’t a bad investment Apple! And get me my damned Coffeelake MacBook!
    I think you’ve completely missed the point of the ad, being that real creatives can do real things with Macs even the current ones.  You seem to be right where Intel want you to be; stuck in the specifications = productivity rabbit-hole.  In truth the generational gains they’re making are incremental at best and Apple would do better to invest in enhancing software & services or their own hardware rather than being just another Intel shill.
    edited June 2018 Alex1Nfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 98
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    We don't really need an ad campaign to put the spotlight on creatives as much as we need Apple to think creatively again and put an SD card slot back in the MacBook Pro.

Of course, putting a good feeling keyboard (with real tactile feedback) back, adding a physically larger battery (especially to offset the added power requirements of the TouchBar), adding one legacy USB-A port to eliminate a host of dongles, somehow returning the much beloved MagSafe, and restoring the iconic glowing Apple logo on back would be nice creative touches as well.

Making the trackpad a really "pro" feature is something Apple should ponder creatively too.  Right now the thing is huge, but it's not as huge and useful as it could be if the spanned the entire width of the palm rest.  If it did span the width of the machine, making the entire palm rest a trackpad, they could probably improve the performance of palm rejection software because your palms would be on it all the time rather than the off-and-on you have with the current trackpad.  Add to that support for Apple Pencil and you've got yourself a great built-in drawing tablet, which would add yet more Pro to the machine which calls itself Pro.

Look, we're all here because we love Apple and its Macs, but if we're honest we all really want to see a lot more "wow" coming out of Cupertino.  With all the money and engineers that Apple has today, which is more than they ever have had, are expectations are correspondingly higher than they were in the past.  Yet, with its relatively limited staff and funding compared to today, Apple of the past somehow managed to wow us.  True, that was with Steve Jobs present, but I still cannot help but think that if Apple tried a taste of its own THINK DIFFERENT medicine that they could produce something Insanely Great once again.  And I don't mean a wristwatch or another iOS device variant.  This Mac user since 1984 longs for yet another insanely great Mac to be in the spotlight.
    Alex1Nlibertyandfree
  • Reply 34 of 98
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Perhaps these commercials illustrate what has gone wrong with the Mac:   They emphasize the Mac being used by non-mainstream creatives to create non-mainstream products:  In short, it emphasizes how the Mac line is aimed squarely at artists and related creatives like coders...  Specialty products for special people.

While I don't know if Jobs ever actually said this, this line about the Mac from the Steve Jobs movie fits with his overall direction: 
    "It's for the grandma, the garbage man, the [common man]."  (Too make their lives better)

I watched these commercials and felt zero connection to them, the people in them or the product they were espousing....

Yeah I didn’t feel any connection to these commercials either. Also odd time for them to come out when so much Mac hardware is stale. Unless it means we’ll be seeing some updates soon.
    libertyandfreeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 35 of 98
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member

I don’t think any types of user want a new specs that’s almost obsolete.  That said, there’s really nothing else to complain about the design other than reliability.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 98
    Sure.
    Is not about Type-C/Thunderbolt, slimmer design, mid-tier graphics chip, large trackpad or shallower keystroke that most (at least me) were ticked off, but rather their altitude.  Why there’s really slow on update, when are they going to fixing all the issues, and what’s so hard to even improve their current design?  What’s so secret about 500 days without updates?  If they can’t handle the most basic things well, what’s the point to even advertising that “people still loving it?”  Do you people still remember that second-generation butterfly got some pretty positive reviews at first?
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 37 of 98

No.  There’s nothing wrong with the specs.  Even back to 2009, MacBook Pros were still have less USB ports than their PC counterparts, and a graphics chip that can only be considered as mid-tier.

Heck, when the first unibody Design was released, there were complain about “huge bezels, chicklet keyboards” too (maybe crammed ports).

Non of the makes “Pros” stopped from cutting videos from Final Cut Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member

Yeah I didn’t feel any connection to these commercials either. Also odd time for them to come out when so much Mac hardware is stale. Unless it means we’ll be seeing some updates soon.
    I immediately took the ads to suggest that a refresh is coming (September?). I’m hoping that this is case, but proof of the pudding, etc., etc.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 98
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    jdw said:
    We don't really need an ad campaign to put the spotlight on creatives as much as we need Apple to think creatively again and put an SD card slot back in the MacBook Pro.

Of course, putting a good feeling keyboard (with real tactile feedback) back, adding a physically larger battery (especially to offset the added power requirements of the TouchBar), adding one legacy USB-A port to eliminate a host of dongles, somehow returning the much beloved MagSafe, and restoring the iconic glowing Apple logo on back would be nice creative touches as well.
    You know what I’d like to be behind? A Mac with a processor from this generation! Seriously the only Mad that has been upgraded within the last year is the iMac Pro. Putting out an ad campaign when Apple has given up on making sure Macs are competitive in the market is just dumb. Advertise the product when it isn’t a bad investment Apple! And get me my damned Coffeelake MacBook!
    I am going to wager an educated guess that the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and iMac will all get updates in the next few months and definitely before or when Mojave ships. If the 2017 MBP keyboard is truly as problematic as people say (though more reliable than the 2016), I'd expect some improvement there. Thunderbolt 3 is the future and no amount of whining is going to bring back USB-A ports or SD/HDMI that most people don't need bespoke ports for. 32GB will come if Intel ever gets Cannonlake out with support for LPDDR4 (delayed to late 2019 at this point) and no sooner. The Air is a dead man walking, and will be gone as soon as the MacBook can get down to $999. We know the Mac Pro is a 2019 product, and possibly the displays they claim to be working on as well though those could come with the next round of hardware. The iMac Pro and ongoing talk about the Pro and how they're approaching it indicate to me that they are all in on the Mac, despite all the handwringing. I think they're righting the ship, but taking their sweet time because Apple is Apple. The only big question mark to me is the mini at this point, which could be waiting on displays to be finished because I can't see them releasing a new mini without displays to sell alongside them. In a perfect world, we see the entire lineup updated this fall with new 5K displays.

But you know, keep whining as if Apple is only capable of doing one thing at a time and making Mac ads somehow has prevented them from updating Macs.
    lamboaudi4watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 40 of 98
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

You know Grimes is wildly popular and successful, right? No?

watto_cobra